Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2012, 15:23   #10411
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

NDTV just reported that 2 persons died in a car crash in Delhi today morning. One of the cars involved was of a high ranking official from ministry of external affairs. More details awaited.
Old 20th February 2012, 15:23   #10412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post

Now, after a good 3 months am back behind the wheel- safer and way more responsible. I don't care if people cut lines or if they're driving slowly for no reason. Nothing can make me lose my cool on the road (not that it made a diff earlier but yet). I just feel grown up now while sitting behind wheel. Guess its not a bad end after all.

Did the accident involve some road rage too. Just wondering because you are saying that you will not lose your cool under no circumstances. reading this post of yours made me guess that you ended up in some accident coz of road rage only to realize that the reason for the accident was altogether different.

I am really glad you escaped unhurt in the crash, thanks to seat belts and I am equally sure that you already learnt that you were in a wrong gear for down hill driving. Ideally you should be in 3rd gear.
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 15:56   #10413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The after-math.

On further analysis I reckon that had I even slammed on to the brakes when the car spun I probably could have saved it from hitting that miscreant stone. But trust me when the car lost control I had no idea what was going on till I was upside down, held onto my seat due to the belt. Quickly removed the belt, checked my passenger who was safe and unhurt and I opened the door without much effort and crawled out. Passers-by stopped and offered a helping hand and even called out to the crane guys to lift out my car.

Life after tragedy was not very pleasant. The accident had almost killed my confidence and I kept cursing myself for endangering someone else's life but my friend was very supportive and kept telling me that it is ok and was pure bad luck on the day I drove the safest!!! Time and again the incident played in my head. Hell, even when I used to be in a friend's car I would see the incident flash in my mind and would be scared at the slightest turn at very ordinary speeds.

Now, after a good 3 months am back behind the wheel- safer and way more responsible. I don't care if people cut lines or if they're driving slowly for no reason. Nothing can make me lose my cool on the road (not that it made a diff earlier but yet). I just feel grown up now while sitting behind wheel. Guess its not a bad end after all.

The car was back to immaculate condition before Christmas after being in the Maruti Service Centre for almost two months. I just thought I'd share this incident that opened my eyes with all BHPians with a hope that no one else has to go through such a horrific incident to realize the value of yours and others' lives.

That was a bad one .Good that you are safe .Why dont you go on the same road again ? You will regain your confidence .

Use engine braking when going downhill i.e instead of driving downhill with your foot on your brakes in the top gear ...use 3rd gear to go downhill or whatever gear depending on the incline .Yeah ,if you see a vehicle in front or if you need to slow down ,you cant say team-bhp said no brakes ,so I wont brake

And the rule is ,never to brake in the middle of a turn .Always slowdown before you enter a turn .Braking when on a turn will always make your car lose its rear end .

And I also suspect your tires .Looks like you have very wide rims on those skinny 165 tires ! drive carefully .
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 17:18   #10414
BHPian

My own car accident....

Was taking my car out after 2 weeks and taking U turn on Hosur road in front of Jain temple near Chandapura where this wrong side coming load auto hit my car. Nothing happened to the passengers.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2012021827611.jpg  

Old 20th February 2012, 20:06   #10415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
S2!!! ... this is not the thread to discuss your driving techniques: you didn't "loose control," but, due to not knowing how to use gears and brakes correctly, you never had proper control. The whole site is here to help make sure that this never happens to you again, although even with perfect technique, it is still possible to misjudge a corner
I am not discussing my driving technique am I?? I just narrated the incident as it happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Did the accident involve some road rage too. Just wondering because you are saying that you will not lose your cool under no circumstances. reading this post of yours made me guess that you ended up in some accident coz of road rage only to realize that the reason for the accident was altogether different.
No there was absolutely no road rage. Luckily there were not that many cars on the road when the incident took place. It was purely my fault and bad judgement. I just mentioned the "keeping my head cool thing" cause that is something that can lead to mishaps more often and God knows how many could get hurt.

@speedsatya, DevilsCry, manim, ecenandu, ankan.m.blr, Klub Class, amitwlele and C300.
Appreciate your concern. If you go to see on post accident analysis I did realize my mistake regarding the gearing and the late braking. It was not something I did not know but something I did not implement at that time. And it was a mistake which was not forgiving. Looking back I wish I had slowed down earlier but that cannot be changed right?? Anyways it was a learning experience for me. Maybe next time I'll implement all the knowledge gathered from this site and experience rather than leaving it in a showcase in my head.

@ amitwlele: the damage was a over a lakh and 70% was covered by the insurance company. All the damaged parts were replaced and the full car was sprayed with paint.

Last edited by S2!!! : 20th February 2012 at 20:16.
S2!!! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 20:18   #10416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not discussing my driving technique am I?? I just narrated the incident as it happened.
Misunderstanding.

I meant we should not, in this particular thread, and specifically, that I should not add more as I was posting.

No criticism of you or your posts intended.
Old 20th February 2012, 20:40   #10417
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
T
Any accident that you can walk away from is a good one. As simple as that. Cars can be replaced or discarded - makes little difference to the course of our lives. But losing something as small as a finger can have a far more significant & lasting effect. Take that from someone who almost lost one to a biking accident - but thanks to the wonders of surgery managed to hold on to it.

About 6 years ago I was involved in a similar crash to the one you had. My friend was behind the wheel & misjudged a sharp curve (which was completely unexpected as we were on a highway) and went off the road at about 90 - 100 kmph, flipped thrice and landed wheel side up. Luckily we crashed into a soggy field which probably softened the impact. The two of us in front were wearing belts and suffered the least damage. One of the guys sitting behind had a badly bruised back but nothing broken. Another indent that reinforced my belief in a higher authority and the abilities of automotive design.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 16:46   #10418
Senior - BHPian

No pictures of the unfortunate Lamborghini crash that happened in Mumbai? Was it a Gallardo?
Old 21st February 2012, 16:54   #10419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
No pictures of the unfortunate Lamborghini crash that happened in Mumbai? Was it a Gallardo?
You can find it in the following thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...ml#post2688761
Old 21st February 2012, 17:23   #10420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp View Post
My own car accident....

Was taking my car out after 2 weeks and taking U turn on Hosur road in front of Jain temple near Chandapura where this wrong side coming load auto hit my car. Nothing happened to the passengers.
Glad that you and the passengers are safe. Was it a head-on? Did the airbags deploy?
Old 21st February 2012, 17:27   #10421
BHPian

My father recently suffered an accident partially because of my stupidity and partial because of his over confidence in his driving skills. My father had suffered a stroke in the eye and is being treated for the same for the last 7-8 months. He is allowed to drive with the doctors permission. On 14th of february he had a scheduled eye check up. I usually go along with him and drive as he usually has to have his right eye dialated for the check up. But on a couple of occasions, he has driven back with out me as I couldn't go along with him. That particular day I had some work near the clinic. Since there was no time restrictions, I offered to drive my father back home, park the car and then go back later. But he insisted that since I was so close to my destination, that I should go directly and that he'll manage without me. I stupidly agreed. The consequences? Let the pictures do the talking.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0240.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0241.jpg

For those who know kolkata, this happened on the exit of the flyover connecting EM bypass and Salt lake Bypass [connecting to sector V and Nicco park] A bus was picking up passenger right at the point where the flyover merges with the road. According to my father he was about to change lane and even checked the right ORVM but failed to notice a bus which was coming from the right of the flyover. By time he noticed it, it was too late. He swerved left in a last ditched attempt to save the car only to slam into the back of the stationary bus. No injuries though!
Old 21st February 2012, 22:09   #10422
Team-BHP Support

A friend of mine just called me, her 20 year old son lost two of his best friends in a car accident. They decided to go to Hoskote/ Mulbegal at 2.00am, drove too fast, overtook rashly and slammed into a parked truck. A third person is in a coma.

My friend's son was to join them but he cried off since we had all just arrived from a trip to Coorg. To make things worse, one of the deceased parents were away and the other thought their son was sleeping late (he had sneaked off)

Last edited by n_aditya : 22nd February 2012 at 18:08. Reason: corrected typo - two instead of too
Old 21st February 2012, 23:46   #10423
Team-BHP Support

^^

Four acquaintances lost their lives in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, while another guy is battling for life in the ICU. They were driving to/from Hoskote and crashed into an 18-wheeler that was parked on the left side of the road,while attempting to overtake a vehicle from the left-side. The Civic that they were in was crushed, and the impact was so severe that it went right under the truck.

This is what I had heard from some friends who are in touch with them.

The news piece seems to share the story differently though.

I had seen these guys around a few years ago. One of them had bought a Civic when it was the rage back then and had even done it up tastefully. Me being the enthusiast that I am, chatted them up and spoke about their car.

You might remember the Civic as it's driven often around Richmond Town, Koramangala and Indiranagar. It was white and had black/carbon-fiber vinyl-wrap on the bonnet. I was driving along with this car only a few days ago, on Residency Road.

Sad to hear that they lost their lives. RIP. Hope the other person recovers. He is in a coma, is what I was told.

Yes, the mother of one of the kids refused to believe that her son was in an accident, till she went to his room - only to find him missing. Aslan is his name, I think. Kiran Machado is a friend's bother - they could not identify his body. God Speed dear friend. God Speed.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st February 2012 at 23:55.
Old 22nd February 2012, 06:07   #10424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
^^

Four acquaintances lost their lives in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, while another guy is battling for life in the ICU. They were driving to/from Hoskote and crashed into an 18-wheeler that was parked on the left side of the road,while attempting to overtake a vehicle from the left-side. The Civic that they were in was crushed, and the impact was so severe that it
Yeah I have seen this car on OMR before and just to recollect, I had even given a written complain to KR Puram traffic inspector to forward the same to NHAI guys to act against these wrongly parked vehicles. That was after three people were killed near my house in a similar accident. RIP.
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:17   #10425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Horrible school bus accident in Goa. Bus fell in river and 7 persons including some kids are dead.
School bus falls into river in Goa, seven killed - The Times of India
Calvim Tragedy, Aldona Goa -2012-Removing the body of small girl. - YouTube
Aftermath of loosing so many innocent lives.
Transport dept cracks down on public buses - The Times of India

Most Viewed