Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2012, 14:02   #10576
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

There is no separate fasten seat belt rule for places depending on how big or small they are. The best way is to buckle up as soon as you sit in the seat. There is no short cut for safety. This week the country is celebrating its National Safety Week.
Old 8th March 2012, 01:35   #10577
Senior - BHPian

Details of road accidents in Kerala!!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-425200_2640986475608_1583967713_31804135_528914150_n.jpg  

Anand123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 03:47   #10578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Your post seems to indicate that you were in the car as well. Were you also not aware of the big city rules?

In my defense, I was in the back seat of my company lease car and I can't - no wait - don't care less what the driver is doing. If it was my own car/ my driver, I would have blasted him.

Seat belt was not the hi-point of that post anyways. I just wanted to know which import luxury sedan was involved in the accident. A friend of mine "claims" they are lying in Vlalikaval. Does anyone pass by that road?

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 8th March 2012, 14:24   #10579
Senior - BHPian

Must be the result of careless reversing!!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-270036_1974750141184_1616005944_1939754_2061711_n.jpg  

Old 8th March 2012, 15:21   #10580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
...........don't care less what the driver is doing. If it was my own car/ my driver, I would have blasted him
Even if the driver is fully drunk and ferries you... You still wouldn't care? IMO, that attitude could prove risky at times.
Old 8th March 2012, 16:39   #10581
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Even if the driver is fully drunk and ferries you... You still wouldn't care? IMO, that attitude could prove risky at times.
The issue here is not drunken driving but of the driver not wearing a seat belt. When you are travelling in a bus or a minivan would you insist that the driver wears his seat belt?

If the driver is your own employee then I can see the logic in making the driver wear the seat belt for his own safety, which you are indirectly responsible for. But in public vehicles, you really think its practical to do that?
Old 8th March 2012, 16:56   #10582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat

The issue here is not drunken driving but of the driver not wearing a seat belt. When you are travelling in a bus or a minivan would you insist that the driver wears his seat belt?

If the driver is your own employee then I can see the logic in making the driver wear the seat belt for his own safety, which you are indirectly responsible for. But in public vehicles, you really think its practical to do that?
If you are aware of those *big* city rules that without seat belts you are sure to be fined. Then I see no harm in educating the unaware driver about it. Whether he really wears it or not is not our prerogative.

I brought in the issue of drunken driving only because the OP said he really doesn't care what the driver is upto.

And this is being discussed in the context of passenger cars. So no question of public transportation here. Moreover not many public transport vehicles like buses/ vans have a seat belt in place!

PS: The safety of the driver = safety of passengers. What if the door was not locked properly and the driver is thrown out of the car while negotiating a curve at high speeds. You would be driving in a unmanned car :lol

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 8th March 2012 at 17:02.
Old 8th March 2012, 17:22   #10583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my defense, I was in the back seat of my company lease car and I can't - no wait - don't care less what the driver is doing. If it was my own car/ my driver, I would have blasted him.

Seat belt was not the hi-point of that post anyways. I just wanted to know which import luxury sedan was involved in the accident. A friend of mine "claims" they are lying in Vlalikaval. Does anyone pass by that road?

Cheers!
Rohan
I see so many people like you on Bangalore roads . Their drivers drive like morons and these people just dont bother .

I would have tried to educate the driver on the safety aspect so that he would be worried more about his life than the police fine!

BTW I am sure you wouldnt have worn seat belts as well .Now tell us that its not compulsory in the rear.
Old 8th March 2012, 17:41   #10584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And this is being discussed in the context of passenger cars. So no question of public transportation here. Moreover not many public transport vehicles like buses/ vans have a seat belt in place!

PS: The safety of the driver = safety of passengers. What if the door was not locked properly and the driver is thrown out of the car while negotiating a curve at high speeds. You would be driving in a unmanned car :lol
The relation between safety of passenger and wearing of seat belt by the driver is same whether it is a bus or a passenger car IMO. You think if the driver of a bus is thrown out of the bus while negotiating a curve, the bus will run on 'Autopilot'? Or is it OK just because these vehicles don't have a seat belt. We can't stop travelling buses due to this can we?

Look I am not against wearing seat belts or educating ignorant drivers. In fact I am all for it. I always insist even rear passengers to buckle up in my car. All I am saying is that it is not always practical to insist the driver to buckle up esp when you are travelling in MUVs, minivans or buses. If you are one of those who insists that the driver buckles up whether its a car, MUV, bus etc....then hats off to you.
Old 8th March 2012, 18:20   #10585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The relation between safety of passenger and wearing of seat belt by the driver is same whether it is a bus or a passenger car IMO. You think if the driver of a bus is thrown out of the bus while negotiating a curve, the bus will run on 'Autopilot'? Or is it OK just because these vehicles don't have a seat belt. We can't stop travelling buses due to this can we?

Look I am not against wearing seat belts or educating ignorant drivers. In fact I am all for it. I always insist even rear passengers to buckle up in my car. All I am saying is that it is not always practical to insist the driver to buckle up esp when you are travelling in MUVs, minivans or buses. If you are one of those who insists that the driver buckles up whether its a car, MUV, bus etc....then hats off to you.
Agreed mate! The only point am trying to drive home is wherever and whenever possible we must try to make people aware of the rules and importance of safety equipment. Whether they take it or not is upto them. That would go a long way in making us a responsible citizen and a proud TBHPian as well!
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 01:00   #10586
BHPian

Quote:
If you are aware of those *big* city rules that without seat belts you are sure to be fined.
I brought in the issue of drunken driving only because the OP said he really doesn't care what the driver is upto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I see so many people like you on Bangalore roads . Their drivers drive like morons and these people just dont bother .

I would have tried to educate the driver on the safety aspect so that he would be worried more about his life than the police fine!

BTW I am sure you wouldnt have worn seat belts as well .Now tell us that its not compulsory in the rear.
Yes I dont care what the driver is up to. That does not mean he can drive drunk or turn up to work drunk. I dont care what he does after dropping me to office. I dont care if he hits a vehicle on the road when I am not in the car. I don't care if he gets a parking fine. I mean, why would I? Its not my own car. I don't pay him. I don' even drive that stupid car, even on weekends. It's my company's headache. Let them deal with it.

Trust me, I used to think like all you guys. Thinking straight, commenting on every 2nd driver to be a retard cause they honk like they got go for number2 in a hurry. But then hey, nice guys finish last. I sure did not want to be left behind. I mean, why should people like me suffer when so many get things done their way.

I will give you a classic example. 3 years ago, I was rear ended by a BMTC bus at that Bishop Cotton School junction. My cutie pie Zen suffered big time. I had to shell out 10k from my pocket, that's my money to get it fixed for no wrong of mine. I felt like killing the driver of that bus but he went away just smiling after a minor argument. I felt super pathetic. But today, if my company car gets hit/hits another vehicle, I do not spend a single rupee as it is all taken care off. I will not even get out of the car to inspect. Get my drift?

So end of day I get a free driver/car with free maintainance and free of worry. Hell, I even get a monthly fuel allowance sufficient for daily home-office-home runs. This is the first time EVER in my life I have got this kind of perk/benefit and whether you like it or not, I am going to make full use of it. Abuse it if I have to. After all you only live once, so make it large!

By the way, I am still trying to figure out the 2 luxury sedans involved on that Palace Road crash last Saturday. I asked the HP petrol bunk guy whether he witnessed the crash. One of the guards who works night shift saw it. He will report for duty on Saturday night. I plan on asking him to solve my own mystery!

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 9th March 2012, 02:27   #10587
BHPian

What connection is there between a BMTC bus rear ending your zen to your company car driver not wearing his seat belts? Do you realize that in the event of a collusion people not wearing seat belts can be thrown around in the car and hit you.
Also the comment of not getting out of the car in case the company driver hits another vehicle god forbid have you thought that you may be unable to get out even if you wanted to and only way would be on a stretcher or worst still in a body bag.
If it was me i would be really really worried what and how my driver is doing because my life is in his hands.

Quote:
Trust me, I used to think like all you guys. Thinking straight, commenting on every 2nd driver to be a retard cause they honk like they got go for number2 in a hurry. But then hey, nice guys finish last. I sure did not want to be left behind. I mean, why should people like me suffer when so many get things done their way.

Last edited by noopster : 9th March 2012 at 16:52. Reason: Please do not quote an entire large post especially if you are posting right after it
dockap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 04:31   #10588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I dont care what the driver is up to. That does not mean he can drive drunk or turn up to work drunk. I dont care what he does after dropping me to office. I dont care if he hits a vehicle on the road when I am not in the car. I don't care if he gets a parking fine. I mean, why would I? Its not my own car. I don't pay him. I don' even drive that stupid car, even on weekends. It's my company's headache. Let them deal with it.....
Great thinking mate I don't see a reason to pursue this case any further! God bless your Cabbie!
Old 9th March 2012, 08:42   #10589
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I dont care what the driver is up to. That does not mean he can drive drunk or turn up to work drunk. I dont care what he does after dropping me to office. I dont care if he hits a vehicle on the road when I am not in the car. I don't care if he gets a parking fine. I mean, why would I? Its not my own car. I don't pay him. I don' even drive that stupid car, even on weekends. It's my company's headache. Let them deal with it.

So end of day I get a free driver/car with free maintainance and free of worry. Hell, I even get a monthly fuel allowance sufficient for daily home-office-home runs. This is the first time EVER in my life I have got this kind of perk/benefit and whether you like it or not, I am going to make full use of it. Abuse it if I have to. After all you only live once, so make it large!

I am apalled by your thought process. How can you keep justfying driver not wearing seatbelt or not following rule irrespective of the car being your's or company owned. I too have a company owned leased car but never stopped caring about the driver's safety/not following rules and last but not the least about the CAR!

Hope good sense prevails...
onesomeone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 09:04   #10590
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Rohan, don't want to get judgemental over here, but I believe a good session of introspection might help. Wish you all the best.

Last edited by noopster : 9th March 2012 at 16:54. Reason: Please don't quote an entire large post-makes it difficult for our small-screen users
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed