Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 11:24   #10756
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
To some of us the thread atleast reminds us to keep our composure in check and not make any foolish mistakes as some of the incidents depict.

Some have changed to stick to city speed inside City and many including me have avoided driving in nights.

The thread may depict accidents as it happens but gives everyone a chance to reflect what kind of driver they are and gives them one option to change the style and avoid any loss.

To me the thread is a great spot to learn and avoid some stupidity we do everytime we drive or ride.
I cant agree more on this !

These days this is the only thread that I visit .

I also view accident videos on YouTube ( which my wife feels is crazy and not very normal behaviour). The biggest learning that I have had is that almost every accident is avoidable .Sometimes everyone involved is stupid enough whereas at other times ,its one person's mistake that is the reason for an accident .

There are accidents where there are mechanical failures as well .But then I strongly believe that even these could be avoided had proper servicing been done on time . Hence the importance of following service intervals . Some idiots ( I am sure there are many over here as well ) act smart and try to save some money by skipping the manufacturer specified to-dos and then end up paying 10 times more later on .
speedsatya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 18:22   #10757
Senior - BHPian

Re: Charu Khandal, National Award winning animator, battles for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Remember RA.ONE movie? The Graphic Designer (Animator) of the movie Charu Khandal, 28, is currently battling for her life at Mumbai Hospital. She & her sister were returning back home for a Dinner party on Sunday & a Honda city crashed into their Auto Rickshaw. The City driver was Drunk & has been booked for Rash & Drunk Driving.
Hello Friends,

Just a quick update:

Doctors at the Kokilaben Ambani hospital, where Khandal was admitted, has said Charu has suffered multiple fractures in her head, ribs and spine - including her cervical bone, neck and legs.
Even if she survives, she wouldn't be able to lead a normal life, they added.
One of Khandal's friends said, "We are told that her injuries are very severe and could result in complete paralysis even if she pulls through. Clearly, this is not what anyone would ever want to suffer."

Once again, Friends, let us all pray for her well being & recovery.

Let us also make sure that anybody known to us is not indulging in Drunk Driving. This is live case of a fantastic life distroyed by a reckless driver.

Also the driver of the Car is already out on bail & also not charged for Drunk Driving, because alcohol content in his blood was less than permissable limits. Should he not be made to atleast pay the medicals bills for Charu?

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 28th March 2012 at 18:27. Reason: Information added
Old 28th March 2012, 18:33   #10758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should he not be made to atleast pay the medicals bills for Charu?
No.
Cause this is India.
Value of money is infinite and value of human life is NIL.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 07:09   #10759
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Friends,

Once again, Friends, let us all pray for her well being & recovery.

Also the driver of the Car is already out on bail & also not charged for Drunk Driving, because alcohol content in his blood was less than permissable limits. Should he not be made to atleast pay the medicals bills for Charu?

Thanks,
Remembering her in our prayers. With Indian law he is not liable to pay the hospital bills immediately. the case will go on and once the verdict comes out (May be after 5 years) the JUDGE decides whom to pay the bill.
Old 29th March 2012, 09:06   #10760
BHPian

What a safe parking! A share on my facebook link.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 29th March 2012, 09:32   #10761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since driver was driving legally (with license and alcohol level in permissible limits), this cost will be payable by insurance company from Third party cover.
Old 29th March 2012, 10:21   #10762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Since driver was driving legally (with license and alcohol level in permissible limits), this cost will be payable by insurance company from Third party cover.
Hello NetfreakBombay,

I understand there will be Third Party Insurance cover, but is is limited to a certain extain extent, which I believe is Rs. 7.5 lacs.

Now the case here is Charu & one of her friend are both critically injured. While Charu is still in very critical condition & on ventilator, the other person is out of danger. There will also be a major damage to Auto Rixa, which I think will go as scrap.

Also we all know that big hospitals like Kokilaben Ambani & others are not cheap thus I feel the total cost would go much beyond Rs. 7.5 lacs.

Also as a deterent to other drunk drivers, we should have such a law where a drunk driver has to pay for damages he has done.

I have heard of such rules in middle east countries.

Thanks,
Old 29th March 2012, 15:24   #10763
BHPian

School bus driver runs over businessman:

MUMBAI: A Borivli-based businessman died on Tuesday evening after he was crushed to death under the wheels of a school bus in Gamdevi. The accident took place at around 5:30pm on the Kennedy bridge when the driver of a school bus lost control of the vehicle due to a brake failure. The driver, Mushtaq Siddiquee (45), was arrested and booked for rash and negligent driving and culpable homicide not amounting to murder. A trial court on Wednesday released him on bail against a bond of Rs 20,000.

Siddiquee, a bus driver with St Colombo School, was dropping students back home when he realized that the brakes of the bus weren't working. He tried to reduce the speed but rammed into a taxi parked in front. The taxi, in turn, banged into another bus parked in front of it. The impact of this collision apparently caused the school bus to turn about 90 degrees towards the right. The rear of the bus jumped the footpath and crushed Shah who was walking on it.

Shah was rushed to Nair Hospital in a critical condition . He died two hours later.

"We arrested the driver and seized the bus. It was his responsibility to ensure that the bus was in working condition . Thanks to heavy traffic at the time, the speed of the bus was slow, otherwise this could have led to a big disaster on the busy road," said inspector A Tamek of Gamdevi police station.

Tamke said the children in the bus and the taxi driver did not report any injuries.

I read/hear about these school bus accidents a lot these days. The schools must do something to address this issue. It's specially risky for the young kids.
Old 29th March 2012, 16:24   #10764
Senior - BHPian

There was an accident on Saturday last when a Nano rammed into a bike crawling in traffic from behind and crushed the bike and the two persons into a mini lorry killing the pillion rider. He was one of my colleague's co-brother. Sorrowful. The persons in the Nano were not injured.
Old 29th March 2012, 16:48   #10765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsDoggie View Post
School bus driver runs over businessman:
I read/hear about these school bus accidents a lot these days. The schools must do something to address this issue. It's specially risky for the young kids.
Hello DevelsDoggie,

Yes the accidents involving School Bus & molestation cases in School bus are on rise & that is why School Bus Safety Policy was introduced sometime last year. School Bus Owners are supposed to comply to these requirement this year.

Some of the highlights of the policy are as under:
1. Buses painted in yellow colour & Vehicles should have a board displaying 'school bus' and have a picture of two school-going children (one girl and one boy)
2. The lowest foot-step of the board should be at a height not exceeding 220mm from the ground and all steps should be fitted with non-slip treads
3. All buses should have hand rails along the steps at the front door
4. Buses should be equipped with one first aid box and two fire extinguishers
5. There should be an attendant travelling with students. In case of girls travelling in the bus, a female attendant should be travelling with them to keep a general vigil on students
6. Every school bus should have a list of names of travelling students along with their parents' contact numbers, residential address and blood group
7. There should be provisions for bag racks under the seats
8. Buses should have hazard warning lights which should be activated when the bus halts for students to either board or get down from the bus
9. Bus windows have three horizontal steel bars that should be placed at a distance of not more than five centimeters from outside
10. All school buses should be fitted with an emergency exit door/window and parabolic glass mirrors fitted on driver's side. Buses should be fitted with a speed governor to ensure that the speed does not exceed 40km per hour (within municipal corporation limits) and 50km per hour outside the city limits
11. The driver should have minimum five years' experience

Now as usual there is a union of School Bus Oerners (School Bus Owners' Association's) & they have asked for a steep (almost double) hike in School Bus fees or they will go on strike.

It is ironical that safety norms have to be compulsorily imposed in this country. In most of other countries safety norms are basic requirements.

Also hope you know that School's already charge for School Bus for all the 12 months despite the fact that there is almost three months of vacation every year.
Old 29th March 2012, 21:52   #10766
Distinguished - BHPian

This happened very near to my house today evening.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20120329_211323.jpg
Reverse attack.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20120329_211343.jpg
Broken compound wall...you can also see the broken pole.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20120329_211409.jpg
Electric pole pickup service

The brakes of this loaded vehicle supposedly failed.
It hit a concrete electric pole, broke it into two pieces and also broke the compound wall of the adjacent house.
One part of the pole fell on the vehicle.
Power around this area was cut. It took more than 3 hours for BESCOM to set things right.
Traffic was blocked on this main road and most of the small interior residential roads was a chaos
Its easily noticeable that this vehicle is badly maintained and not fit for road.

I wonder what would've happened if this reinforced concrete pole was not there...the vehicle might have gone inside the house.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 11:07   #10767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
What a safe parking! A share on my facebook link.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
This was already posted here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2530776
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 00:15   #10768
BHPian

Found this picture on FB, the horrific accident took place on the Outer Ring Road, Hyderabad. I don't think anyone would have survived in such an accident.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-547888_326101697447956_100001443856209_962470_708738521_n.jpg

Source
Old 31st March 2012, 06:52   #10769
Senior - BHPian

That is one bad accident. Looking at the direction of the bend in the pole, it seems the zen hit it from the left side, got wrapped around it and then got turned around!!
Very scary.
Old 31st March 2012, 08:33   #10770
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Saw this Sangita bus today morning around 7am near Electronic city. Looks like the Chennai-Bangalore service (Bharathi bus)
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sangita.jpg  

Most Viewed