Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 19:46   #10861
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
A couple of thoughts on Kicksperliter's accident -

As someone told me during my early days of driving - "when you are passing a cyclist, expect him to veer to your lane suddenly. When you are passing a pedestrian or an animal, expect them to change directions suddenly. When you are passing a car parked by the road, expect it to move to your lane" . If you build this into your subconscious mind, one would automatically reduce the speed at the right time.

I would like to add this too...Expect people to jump in front of you trying to cross the road from front of parked vehicles, specially parked transport buses.
Old 11th April 2012, 21:50   #10862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
k
In the end, what has this incident got you? Satisfaction of beating someone up? If that's what you got, then I'm afraid no one can say anything beyond that.

This is quite a harsh question IMHO. Its not about satisfaction. These truck fellas do indeed need real bashing , bash out all the guts out of them. Police will never do their duty so dont expect that.

These truck walas very well know that they have got a killer machine and can crush anyone. they are least bothered about others life sitting in a small vehicle. Whenever they cause an accident they merily sit besides truck very well alive and not even a minute guilty feeling.

In my recent south india trip i came across 3-4 similar incidents where heavy vehicle coming from front literally pushed me offroad. They dont care a bit while overtaking.

For a moment i too felt like taking a U-turn and smashing the driver half dead.

You may ask why? just for satisfaction?

My answer : NO!! I would do that because he attempted to murder me and my family.

Apart from this point i think one should never drive fast when you see array of trucks ahead. You should be very very alert as you never know when these half murderers bring the killer machines right in front of you.

Always ensure your vehicle is in 100% fit condition before you travel in it.

Avoid road rage as much as possible.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 22:17   #10863
Senior - BHPian

We are a product of this environment and i see no point proved in trying to physically assault the truck driver/cleaner.

I agree it is life threatening, but the car's speed also has to do with any mishap that may occur.

His(driver/cleaner) life itself is harsher and in a situation, i dont wish to make it any worse.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11th April 2012, 22:28   #10864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
Hi Vikram, Thanks for the advise sir. liked the quote and statement....
You admit that you drove a car with worn out tires . On top of that you were reckless enough to risk everyone's lives by driving at 100 kph even when you are approaching a line of trucks .

Trust me ,you will get it back in some other way . No matter whose fault , you dont have any right to beat up someone .

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
This is quite a harsh question IMHO. Its not about satisfaction. These truck fellas do indeed need real bashing , bash out all the guts out of them. Police will never do their duty so dont expect that.

These truck walas very well know that they have got a killer machine and can crush anyone. they are least bothered about others life sitting in a small vehicle. Whenever they cause an accident they merily sit besides truck very well alive and not even a minute guilty feeling.

In my recent south india trip i came across 3-4 similar incidents where heavy vehicle coming from front literally pushed me offroad. They dont care a bit while overtaking.

For a moment i too felt like taking a U-turn and smashing the driver half dead.

You may ask why? just for satisfaction?

My answer : NO!! I would do that because he attempted to murder me and my family.

Apart from this point i think one should never drive fast when you see array of trucks ahead. You should be very very alert as you never know when these half murderers bring the killer machines right in front of you.

Always ensure your vehicle is in 100% fit condition before you travel in it.

Avoid road rage as much as possible.

I dont think all truck drivers are reckless ! Of the 3L + kms that I have driven in the last few years , I have found truck drivers to be the most well behaved on the road .
speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 22:39   #10865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post

I dont think all truck drivers are reckless ! Of the 3L + kms that I have driven in the last few years , I have found truck drivers to be the most well behaved on the road .
Well depends. If you ply on expressway and many other roads you will often find one truck at speed 20 , other overtaking him at 22kmph and 3rd one at 24kmph blocking all the lanes.

Half the folks follow right lane rule as if their fathers were born in Europe/US and rest well mannered follow left lane and keep cutting in as per wish.

Many times buses are more risky. I have seem volvo races many times on expressway and also on narrow routes.

The main thing is they sit high and dont bother about small cars.

Old 11th April 2012, 22:44   #10866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000386302518
This kid died in an accident yday at Shiroda Goa. Crashed into a Maruti Omni, head hit the bridge wall and died on spot. RIP though looking at his albums, I wonder if rash riding was cause of this accident.

Shiroda: RIET student killed in accident - The Times of India
The boy was my neighbour at my ancestral house in Aldona-Goa. My mum and my family are upset that the boy lost his life in the mishap. As fate would have had it, the boy's father had a stroke a few weeks earlier and was undergoing some medical treatment in Malvan. The boy's parents were in Malvan these past few days and had to rush back to Goa one hearing the dreadful news. My wife and I went to offer condolences to the bereaved family this morning.
Old 11th April 2012, 23:23   #10867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg

Well depends. If you ply on expressway and many other roads you will often find one truck at speed 20 , other overtaking him at 22kmph and 3rd one at 24kmph blocking all the lanes.

Half the folks follow right lane rule as if their fathers were born in Europe/US and rest well mannered follow left lane and keep cutting in as per wish.

Many times buses are more risky. I have seem volvo races many times on expressway and also on narrow routes.
I find it really strange that car drivers feel that one truck should not overtake another truck. The car driver may be capable doing 100+ on the same stretch but will get very annoyed when he has to drop his speed to 40 for a few seconds because one truck is overtaking another. So basically you expect the truck that is capable of going at 24 kph to never overtake one that cannot go faster than 20? He is going at a speed that is after all 20% higher. So if his journey will take 48 hrs at 20kph it will take only 40 hrs at 24 kph. So why shouldn't he overtake?

I drive a lot on 4 lane highways and I can tell you truck drivers are one of the few drivers who watch their mirrors before overtaking and are the most predictable. Of course there are exceptions. That's why we need to be alert and drive at controllable speeds.
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 23:44   #10868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I find it really strange that car drivers feel that one truck should not overtake another truck. The car driver may be capable doing 100+ on the same stretch but will get very annoyed when he has to drop his speed to 40 for a few seconds because one truck is overtaking another. So basically you expect the truck that is capable of going at 24 kph to never overtake one that cannot go faster than 20? He is going at a speed that is after all 20% higher. So if his journey will take 48 hrs at 20kph it will take only 40 hrs at 24 kph. So why shouldn't he overtake?

I drive a lot on 4 lane highways and I can tell you truck drivers are one of the few drivers who watch their mirrors before overtaking and are the most predictable. Of course there are exceptions. That's why we need to be alert and drive at controllable speeds.
Off-course they should overtake, but not on upslope where they really cant do an overtake properly and take 300-400 metres to do so. On the plains if they overtake in half a minute or so its fine. No one minds dropping speed to 40 or even 20 to wait for these trucks to overtake.

If you travel in lonavala khandala ghat section you will see how they squeeze each other. You just enter mumbai and again you will see all lanes occupied by trucks.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 23:56   #10869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The main thing is they sit high and dont bother about small cars.

I am talking about sticking to lanes ,using mirrors and sticking to speed limits which most car drivers here dont follow .

I just came back from a 900 kms drive on a mix of 4 lanes and the 2 lane highways with oncoming traffic . I saw a couple of accidents involving cars and trucks . The trucks were on the correct sides in all these accidents , but their drivers were arrested as none of the car drivers were alive .

I do agree that a few bus drivers are reckless ,but then , I would question passengers in a bus as well who are mute spectators to the way these drivers drive .How many times have you come across passengers who reprimand a bus driver for driving rash ?

About this volvo bus driving at 125 ...the car driver is equally guilty of exceeding the 80 kph speed limit . So lets leave it at that .

Quote:
Off-course they should overtake, but not on upslope where they really cant do an overtake properly and take 300-400 metres to do so.
Wow , so now trucks should stay behind one another on an uphill road so that they make way for car drivers who can drive at 160 on a road with 80 kph speed limits

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th April 2012 at 00:38. Reason: Please avoid quoting large posts with videos. It may inconvenience small-screen/mobile users. Thanks :)
Old 12th April 2012, 00:44   #10870
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is quite a harsh question IMHO...

...Avoid road rage as much as possible.

Amit.

I would never advise anyone to take the law into their own hands. The consequences are worth avoiding. While in a fit of rage, one might feel the need to 'teach a lesson' to the guy who put you and your family in danger. I've been there too. But it's important to keep a cool head. Not much is gained by showing anger and bitterness on the road.

You say that you'd bash him up, but in the same post, you mention that road rage must be avoided as much as possible?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th April 2012 at 00:13. Reason: Edited large quoted post. A thousand apologies. :D
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 01:24   #10871
BHPian

@suhaas307 : Well said. There is no point in picking up a fight or getting into a race with any one for that matter when you are on a public. I've been driving on the highways since long and all I can say is truckers are well behaved. being said that, there are exceptions always. I'm not talking about buses here as they have a timelimit before which they have to be at their destination. But truckers have a large window to do so, So they take things easy. Some truckers are crazy but only few. On the highways, They usually are good men.
kingofmyworld is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 01:31   #10872
BHPian

This incident happened right few blocks away from our house today.

There is a hump newly painted (note only painted, hump was there for a long time, just incase if few folks might even comment "probably driver hadn't seen the hump, so just to avoid such statements)

I was not present at the spot as I had been out to buy some groceries.

The Nissan Sunny, new yet to be registered slowed down due to hump, then next split second City banged right behind the sunny, upon impact, the driver of the Honda City tried reversing (to escape) and in the melee banged the road hump sign board and hit the resident pedestrian.

I believe he still tried to escape, that's when the crowd took him in control. When I reached, ppl (local resident's and passerby's) had beaten him and by then there was a huge crowd gathered...

The driver of Honda City was DRUNK
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0834.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0835.jpg  

kicksperliter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 07:21   #10873
BHPian

Quote:
Off-course they should overtake, but not on upslope where they really cant do an overtake properly and take 300-400 metres to do so. On the plains if they overtake in half a minute or so its fine. No one minds dropping speed to 40 or even 20 to wait for these trucks to overtake.

If you travel in lonavala khandala ghat section you will see how they squeeze each other. You just enter mumbai and again you will see all lanes occupied by trucks.
I think it is a much simpler rule for me.

Except emergency vehicles, no one has a right of way. I haven't read a rule which says cars should be allowed to overtake trucks or that a specific lane is to be used for slower vehicles. Even if there was a rule, let's remember this is our India. And every man for himself.

- If speed is priority, go ahead, risk it fighting with the trucks and other vehicles on the road.
- If safety is priority, think twice about anything on the road. Be prepared to be frustrated. Be prepared to be patient. At the end of the day, what matters is getting home to our wonderful families for the night.

Atleast in TN and KL and some parts of KA/AP, where I have done most of my highway driving, I can vouch that truck drivers are extremely well behaved on the highways. There are instances where they drive rashly within the city or outskirts, e.g., unladen quarry / sand lorries. In those instances, I prefer to stay defensive, patient and lose them first.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisasa View Post
I would like to add this too...Expect people to jump in front of you trying to cross the road from front of parked vehicles, specially parked transport buses.
I'd like to add: when driving during day times, keep an eye on both shoulders of the road and expect cows, goats and bulls to jump in. It's dangerous if they're in a herd (remember herd mentality?). I had an incident and it was like this: me travelling at 100 kmph on an open stretch of the highway at some odd time probably 11:00AM. I did notice a herd of cows that were 'parked' on the median. I lifted my foot from the acc. keeping an eye on them. They didn't move. But the moment one of the cows stepped on the road, it was mayhem. Thanks to ABS and and empty stretch of road ahead and behind me, I brought the vehicle to a stop literally less than a foot from the last departing cow. It's a lesson for me. Next time, I'll use the brakes to slow down the very first time I see such a thing.

Last edited by ssh1979 : 12th April 2012 at 07:36.
ssh1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 07:28   #10874
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod Note: Folks, please stay on topic. This thread is meant for discussing Accidents in India (iwth pics) only. Any discussion on truck drivers' habits can be continued here

Also, please note that any posts from hereonin where a member expresses a desire to indulge in road rage will be immediately deleted. team-BHP encourages safe driving practices and we cannot have these kind of declarations on the forum, however badly provoked.
noopster is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 13:05   #10875
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod : We do NOT permit posts that encourage violence against other individuals. Kindly refrain from messages on beating other people (including cleaners). These type of posts are STRICTLY prohibited.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks