Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2012, 15:22   #10966
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Guy drives into something the size of a bus. Well, a bus, actually.
Quote:
Posibilities could be endless. Only driver knows what was situation and if he really could have avoided it. It could be a case of over speeding on curve or "induced blindless". May be both drivers are at fault.
Maybe the bus driver broke some parking law. That doesn't make him responsible for someone driving into the bus.

Unless it just fell from the sky, if we hit a stationary object, it is our fault.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2012, 15:34   #10967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
This happenend yesterday night. Karve road Pune. Nex t to hotel Mirch Masala

Honda city rammed into wrongly parked? company bus on road side late night.
Very bad incident. The Honda city series number says it is new car may be 1 month old as HN series is still on, looking like learner driver misshape.
Also in one of the picture we can see bus's, metal sheet in cars cabin, hopefully the owner/driver have survived. :|
Old 29th April 2012, 18:19   #10968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This happenend yesterday night. Karve road Pune. Nex t to hotel Mirch Masala
I hope there was no front passenger. Even if the driver survived, the passenger has no chance of survival with a shunt like that. I think both parties are at fault, the bus that was wrongly parked and the car driver who was not paying attention.
Old 29th April 2012, 19:20   #10969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
OMG!! Thats a bad shunt , idea. But we cant really blame the narrow carriagewidth of that road, since I find it sufficiently wide for city traffic.
Quote:
Worst part : i didnt see any brake marks on road meaing honda city just rammed into bus as driver could not see it till last moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
It's possible that the car driver dozed off or was trying to overtake someone on the left or was involved in a race when this happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I hope there was no front passenger. Even if the driver survived, the passenger has no chance of survival with a shunt like that. I think both parties are at fault, the bus that was wrongly parked and the car driver who was not paying attention.
I am well acquainted with this stretch and the few morons who drive here. It is a misleadingly deceptive stretch of road that has a slow continuous incline from Kakde city upto Vandevi temple. At this point the road starts sloping down the hill, turns left for a bit and then immediately after that there is an extended right turn also with a pronounce downward slope.

Now at the point of the accident, one can see a recently built subway to the left of the parked bus. A possibility that I can see here is that this Honda city came careening down the left lane (probably overtaking some other vehicle from the extreme left lane) and only a last minute slight swerve has ensured that the driver side is actually less impacted than it would have if he went straight on.

Oh, and how many people actually use that subway? not really sure as there are umpteen morons who still dart across the road in daytime. the bus driver should have been sane enough to park a little away from the subway as the carriagewidth is narrower at that point than at half a km either side on this stretch.

I hope there were no casualties.
Old 29th April 2012, 23:29   #10970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Unless it just fell from the sky, if we hit a stationary object, it is our fault.
Not everytime and that too in India where stones and tree branches are used as hazard signs to mark a broken down vehicle parked in the right lane
Old 29th April 2012, 23:54   #10971
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Not everytime and that too in India where stones and tree branches are used as hazard signs to mark a broken down vehicle parked in the right lane
Still no excuse when you're driving.

As a driver, it's your duty to keep your eyes WIDE OPEN and at all times while driving. If you crash into something that's in front of you, you're just not fit to drive at all, and this is just my opinion.

Whatever may be parked on the road, there is always a way to get around it, unless the whole road has been blocked. At which point the driver must be attentive enough to slow down and come to a complete halt, if required.

If he can't brake quickly enough, he is simply going too fast!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th April 2012 at 23:57.
Old 30th April 2012, 00:06   #10972
BHPian

I do not think there was a passenger in the front because there is no blood on that side. if there was one he would have been cut into two by that metal sheet from the bus which is sitting against the front passenger seat. As for the driver there is blood on the driver seat, airbag and door which looks like its from a cut in the region of head & neck or face. Hope he is OK even without bleeding its possible to die with internal injuries.
I would definitely blame the bus driver for parking on the left lane of the road in a no parking zone even if its night time it is similar to broken down trucks you come across suddenly on highways. They at least would not have the option of moving it to the road side because its pretty difficult for 2 people to push a truck weighing several tons but this bus driver has no business to park on the road. It is the responsibility of the company to provide parking for their bus.

Last edited by dockap : 30th April 2012 at 00:12.
Old 30th April 2012, 00:40   #10973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Worst part : i didnt see any brake marks on road meaing honda city just rammed into bus as driver could not see it till last moment.
City has ABS as standard, so one could not expect to see brake marks on the road for a car equipped with ABS.
Old 30th April 2012, 00:48   #10974
Senior - BHPian

I completely agree with dockap on this.
@Suhaas, It doesnt mean that you are at 100% fault if you are hitting a stationary object.
What do you think about the number of accidents happen when they hit a stationary objects. Its easy to imagine that I can keep my eyes WIDE OPEN and get around anything stationary on the road. However, its debatable and not all situations are same. There would have been an explanation to this. I dont know the exact location and cant speculate much (I dont think in short city driving we will have motion blindness come into play). Though, the credit goes to the driver to sear right at the last moment (that means his eyes were wide open or he just opened it) would have saved his life here, else it could have been the same state as the passanger seat.

@Ecenandu, ABD may create a different pattern but I'm sure if there is an attempt to break, there will be marks on the road.

Last edited by Ketan : 30th April 2012 at 00:50.
Old 30th April 2012, 01:09   #10975
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
@Suhaas, It doesnt mean that you are at 100% fault if you are hitting a stationary object.
What do you think about the number of accidents happen when they hit a stationary objects. Its easy to imagine that I can keep my eyes WIDE OPEN and get around anything stationary on the road. However, its debatable and not all situations are same. There would have been an explanation to this. I dont know the exact location and cant speculate much (I dont think in short city driving we will have motion blindness come into play). Though, the credit goes to the driver to sear right at the last moment (that means his eyes were wide open or he just opened it) would have saved his life here, else it could have been the same state as the passanger seat.
Well, I'm certainly not going to blame the City driver, solely, for this incident. Accidents do happen because of two parties, generally. (I'd still blame the City driver a 100% though, as it's something HE could have avoided)

The bus-driver is an imbecile for parking on the road, that's for sure. And there is simply no justifying that.

But saying that the bus-driver is completely at fault for parking on the road is rather silly.

I mean, when a person is driving a car, shouldn't he be able to see something that is parked on the road? The most basic rule of driving is to look out for something in front of you when you're driving. And if that can't be done, it's rather sad don't you think?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th April 2012 at 01:13.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 01:25   #10976
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
The small stuff, like what you mention, and in the dark, yes, I concede that you have a point, otherwise, no. Drive around every blind curve as if there might be something parked there. It's basic driving skill, the perpetual what if, and without it people should not be driving.

In two out of the three cases in which I have driven into another vehicle, it was because I was not looking, or I was looking in the wrong place. In the third case, I was exonerated by the police, but still told myself I had been going too fast.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 01:41   #10977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Well, I'm certainly not going to blame the City driver, solely, for this incident. Accidents do happen because of two parties, generally. (I'd still blame the City driver a 100% though, as it's something HE could have avoided)

The bus-driver is an imbecile for parking on the road, that's for sure. And there is simply no justifying that.

But saying that the bus-driver is completely at fault for parking on the road is rather silly.

I mean, when a person is driving a car, shouldn't he be able to see something that is parked on the road? The most basic rule of driving is to look out for something in front of you when you're driving. And if that can't be done, it's rather sad don't you think?
Yes, I agree. Both are at fault. However, driver must have learnt a big lesson and it will be hard for him to miss such obects in the future or take eyes off the road while driving.
Again, its not about one's mistake that he couldnt see something parked right in the front or he couldnt see such a big object like a bus in front of him and he should not be driving if he cannot. Almost all accidents happen, be it one of the best drivers, do happen in front of the driver. So, its the time, the situation that one couldnt handle well for some or other reason. Without enough information, I dont think this discussion can lead us somewhere or generalizing/speculating can help either.
Even in the city, at low speed, dont take your eyes off the roads. Thats what we should take back from this one.

Last edited by Ketan : 30th April 2012 at 01:53.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 01:44   #10978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
@Ecenandu, ABD may create a different pattern but I'm sure if there is an attempt to break, there will be marks on the road.
Exactly what I meant, we should not expect to see a dark patches on the road that we see when wheels lock up.

EDIT:
Saw this news online.
Quote:
Report: 20 killed as 2 buses collide in India

The Associated Press
Published: Sunday, Apr. 29, 2012 - 5:45 am
NEW DELHI -- A news report says two buses have collided head-on and fallen into a ditch in northern India, killing 20 people and injuring 25 others.

The Press Trust of India news agency says 15 passengers died at the scene on the outskirts of Gorakhpur, a town 270 kilometers (170 miles) east of Lucknow, the capital of Uttar Pradesh state. It says another five died in hospital.

It quoted district administrator Ravindra Naik as saying that at least half a dozen people injured in Sunday's accident were in critical condition.

Officials could not be immediately reached.

Road accidents are common in India - many due to negligence, bad roads and aging vehicles.

Source :http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/29/445...s-collide.html

Last edited by ecenandu : 30th April 2012 at 02:11.
Old 30th April 2012, 01:56   #10979
BHPian

I was a witness to an accident a couple of hours ago. i was going from my noida sec 25 home towards sec 18 atta one the spice mall - atta road. all bhpians fimiliar with this stretch would know that it is a four lane road with no divider and a couple of traffic signals. as soon as i crossed the sec 25-21 signal, i saw this idiot take off from the signal, overtaking a car which was already overtaking another one. before the thought crossed my mind that he will kill somebody, he crashed into a poor biker going on the extreme left and dragged him for approx 50 meters. his car did not stall or get a puncture and he just drove off. my instant reaction was to turn around and follow him, luckily i was on my cbr 250 (with my bull i would have rather helped the poor guy) caught up and noted down his reg plate and the make (silver i20). he crashed into a cyclist in his haste to get away. my friends who were following me in their swift shifted the guy to hospital. luckily he survived and had a deep gash on his neck, the helmet saved him. the cyclist also got away with a bruised shoulder. anyways gave the info to police who had been called by the hospital and left. one lucky day cause at the speed which he hit, i was amazed the biker got away with just a gash on his neck...one lucky chap. what made me go after the idiot....it could have been me...no pictures though
damanshaheed is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 07:34   #10980
Senior - BHPian

I know of safe drivers who have simply lost out to the broken down trucks parked on the right most lane without any visible road markers. Add the blinding lights from the opposite lane, its not as easy you guys are trying to make it look!

You are even trying to beat the purpose of the use of hazard lamps in a broken down vehicle!

...a safe driver needs to be careful and keep an eye for everything but there are lot of things that are beyond his control that will not make it end nicely when a vehicle is parked without proper warning signs in his path. Its as bad as something that fell from the sky into his path

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Still no excuse when you're driving.

As a driver, it's your duty to keep your eyes WIDE OPEN and at all times while driving. If you crash into something that's in front of you, you're just not fit to drive at all, and this is just my opinion.

Whatever may be parked on the road, there is always a way to get around it, unless the whole road has been blocked. At which point the driver must be attentive enough to slow down and come to a complete halt, if required.

If he can't brake quickly enough, he is simply going too fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The small stuff, like what you mention, and in the dark, yes, I concede that you have a point, otherwise, no. Drive around every blind curve as if there might be something parked there. It's basic driving skill, the perpetual what if, and without it people should not be driving.

In two out of the three cases in which I have driven into another vehicle, it was because I was not looking, or I was looking in the wrong place. In the third case, I was exonerated by the police, but still told myself I had been going too fast.
anachronix is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks