Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:27   #11776
Senior - BHPian

Saw a sedan toppled on Hosur road at the beginning of Chandapura flyover this morning at 8. The accident had just happened. I couldn't make out which car due to the crowd but looked like a Vento/Rapid. It appeared like a high speed crash. I have seen people doing maniac speeds at this stretch near Narayana Hrudayalaya which is very dangerous as many school children cross the road.
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:16   #11777
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
On a side note, when I look at these accidents involving a politician’s SUV, trucks etc. sometimes I get a doubt whether it was a really an accident, or an accident made to happen.
Add to that the kind of cover up these politicians can do they can create a new theory for this accident.

A politicians car/suv in an accident just tells me that he is at fault. I have no mercy for politicians for the way these idiots drive around in the country they dont get my benefit of doubt.

The whole news seems to be influenced news rather than the facts.
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:21   #11778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Please don't do that, I once escaped being the reason of an accident in a similar instance.
I had a slightly different experience once. A lady was on a scooter with 2 kids hogging the rightmost lane, but in my case, the driver of the car ahead of me moved to the lane of the left of the lady and told her something. I was also moving to the left lane to overtake the lady, when, just after the car ahead has spoken to her, the lady moved left right into my path. I had no time to brake, I was sure I would've hit her even if I braked and maintained my line. My only option was to go further left. I was very lucky there was no one on my left - this was while coming down one of the flyovers on the NH near Chalakkudy and all of the new flyovers have 3 lanes on each side.
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:09   #11779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
My office is right next to Eco Space, And I usually travel by cab and incase I take my (car/bike) I always go under Intel fly over and join the service lane. This practice has been from past year.

I have also observed they do not have the permanent divider to enable vehicles from Accenture/Eco Space to save few drops of fuel... and this just my opinion, no offense to anyone working from the above mentioned companies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
I really feel sad for the Bikers family, they have to suffer due to somebody's fault. I was watching the commotion from my office in RMZ Ecospace and was hoping that nobody must have lost their life. RIP Bro. A really sad day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
I don't know who is the unfortunate person who lost his/her life in the yesterday's accident. Only the ones involved in the accident get affected each time. I still see people trying to squeeze in through the gaps on the make-shift median to get on to the other side of the road, barely few meters away from the accident spot. Saw it yesterday night and today morning. The make shift median, made out of some old pipes and stones, keeps disappearing and the gaps are being utilized by the public (I work in the office campus near the accident spot) Its their right !

Add to it, without even understanding that they are doing something illegal and can causing grave injuries to others, they justify their actions too. If these morons think that by using these illegal turns they can save on fuel and time, then no one can ever help them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
I have raised BTP facebook post to reconstruct the median infront of Eco Space, ORR.

I pass through this part of the road every day and it pains me to see that just a few days after such a horrible accident, people are again using the same illegal U-Turn to save a few hundred metres of travel. I had noticed that they had closed the median with pipes after the accident, but the morons have found a new gap just ahead by removing the stones. We have lost all value and respect for life .

I was thinking that maybe all of us who are working near Ecospace could get together in a form of some silent protest ? We could hold banners near the median and try to make atleast a few drivers learn of how their shortcut could hurt someone else. Does anyone think this would have any effect ? We could hold banners in English, Hindi and Kannada. If we do this during the peak hours for a few days and if atleast a few drivers change, I think it would be worth it.

I was thinking of a few banners like this :
"One guy lost his life because someone like you took an illegal U-Turn here. Do you want to be responsible for another death?"

"Is it worth taking this shortcut just to save a little fuel? Please be responsible and say no to illegal U-turns".

"Your fuel maybe valuable, but someone's life is much more valuable. Stop taking this illegal U-Turn".

"Show some respect. Someone died here due to this illegal U-Turn. Stop making that mistake again" .

What do you guys think? Could this work ?
Old 3rd August 2012, 13:15   #11780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post

I was thinking that maybe all of us who are working near Ecospace could get together in a form of some silent protest ? We could hold banners near the median and try to make atleast a few drivers learn of how their shortcut could hurt someone else. Does anyone think this would have any effect ? We could hold banners in English, Hindi and Kannada. If we do this during the peak hours for a few days and if atleast a few drivers change, I think it would be worth it.

What do you guys think? Could this work ?
Good thought, Punter

But,

IMHO, majority of those guys taking a u-turn over there are cabbies ferrying people in and out of eco space. A private vehicle owner isn't going to take the pain of getting down from his car and getting his hand dirty by removing the stones there. This is a joint effort by the cabbies in there. If the eco-space employees take a call of not letting the cabbies take the illegal u-turn when they are being driven to-from work , and the admin guys in those offices in eco space, give a strict instruction to the cab agencies , this menace will stop.
Old 3rd August 2012, 13:27   #11781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Good thought, Punter
But,
IMHO, majority of those guys taking a u-turn over there are cabbies ferrying people in and out of eco space. A private vehicle owner isn't going to take the pain of getting down from his car and getting his hand dirty by removing the stones there. This is a joint effort by the cabbies in there. If the eco-space employees take a call of not letting the cabbies take the illegal u-turn when they are being driven to-from work , and the admin guys in those offices in eco space, give a strict instruction to the cab agencies , this menace will stop.
I think you have a point. Maybe we could send E-mails to all the admins of Ecospace and other companies nearby. I know the companies on ORR have formed an organisation called ORRCA and they send some security guys to assist the traffic police. Maybe we should call them and send them e-mails to put pressure on them to close that gap in the median.

http://orrcaa.com/contactus.html

Last edited by Newpunter : 3rd August 2012 at 13:30.
Old 4th August 2012, 00:58   #11782
Senior - BHPian

Most SUV drivers, especially Scorp/Innova/Fortuner think roads belong to their dad. And most of the owners / users of these cars are cabbies ( first two ) or uncouth /illiterate/goon/ill-mannered/ill-gotten-money types. They have complete disregard for other road users and nearly mow everyone down on roads. Now, I said most of them and not all. So let us not start a debate here.
Old 4th August 2012, 13:32   #11783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I was thinking that maybe all of us who are working near Ecospace could get together in a form of some silent protest ? ?
Liked that idea Newpunter,
I live close to this place and hate to go on that road since the flyover work is started a couple years back, I dont have to go on that road on regular basis, but whenever I do during rush hours, its a big mess. I hope we get the flyovers done asap and fix those U-turns soon.

Another bad one here.
Thane: Three killed, one injured in road accident

We are indeed on top of the list (some old figures).
Nearly 300 Indians die daily on roads, shows report
Old 5th August 2012, 12:29   #11784
BHPian

I heard about an esteem which toppled over a couple of times on the faridabad road towards the sikanderpur roundabout side last night. By today morning car had been moved but saw broken glass and tire marks going into the divider.
Also, saw a bad crash between a black wagonR and an omni a little down the road from mg road metro station towards iffco chowk. Across the road from Central Mall. Looked like the omni got T-boned. Did anyone else see these?
Old 5th August 2012, 13:35   #11785
Senior - BHPian

I am feeling extremely sad to update this thread once again!

Another kid becomes the vicitim of speeding truck!

Quote:
Three, including 7-year-old girl and woman constable, killed in separate accidents

A seven-year-old girl died on the spot when a speeding lorry knocked her down while she was crossing the road, right outside her home in Ettiyapuram near Tambaram on Saturday morning. Furious residents later traced the lorry, brought it back to the accident site and set it on fire.
Latchaya is the oldest among three children of Ramya and Ganesan, living in Ettiyapuram, about six kilometres from Tambaram. A student of class II at a private school near her home, she returned from school on Friday evening, and asked her parents to get her posters of national leaders, rivers and maps for a school project she had to submit on Monday.

The Hindu : Cities / Chennai : Killer lorries run amok in Tambaram

A lady police constable knocked down and killed by a mini-lorry. (She was wearing a helmet).

Quote:

A 27-year-old woman police constable died on the spot when she came under the wheels of a mini lorry at Irumbuliyur, Tambaram, on Grand Southern Trunk Road on Saturday morning.
Vetriselvi, daughter of a sub-inspector of police, was on her way to the Anti Vice Squad in the city for her first day of duty there. A resident of Mannivakkam, Vetriselvi was riding a scooter when the mini lorry (TN 38 BP 1581), carrying a consignment of asbestos roofing material from Coimbatore to Chromepet, hit Vetriselvi’s scooter near Sivasakthi Marriage Hall. In the impact, she was thrown off, came under the wheels of the mini lorry and was killed instantly. Vetriselvi was wearing a helmet, but it was smashed in the impact. She suffered injuries on her face, stomach and waist.
Other women police constables who were her colleagues, described

Vetriselvi as a very sincere worker. She had completed 11 years of service, they added. “My father was an inspiration for my sister to join the police force. She had successfully completed the prestigious commando training course and was a champion rifle shooter,” Parthiban said.
Marimuthu Raja (38), driver of the mini lorry has been arrested by St. Thomas Mount Traffic Police (Investigation) under Section 304 (a) of the Indian Penal Code.

The death is the latest in a series of accidents on a small stretch of this National Highway (NH 45), which residents call ‘marana munai’ (corner of death).
A State Highways Department official said that it was up to the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) to acquire land for widening the road. Soon after the accident on Saturday morning, residents of Irumbuliyur gathered at the spot and raised slogans against the NHAI, accusing it of lethargy. Residents had openly declared on many occasions that they were willing to part with the land for widening the road.

The Hindu : Cities / Chennai : When death lurked around the corner

Accidents have become a common thing along this stretch and NHAI or state Highways or even CCTP has been so far lethargic in taking any action, in either constructing a speed breaker or even putting up barricades. Nothing has been done so far. Sad but shows the reality of our roads, traffic sense and the motivation to work by the authorities.
Old 6th August 2012, 10:19   #11786
Senior - BHPian

A couple of hours ago on Nagar road, Pune.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120806_101608.png
Views: 5484
Size:  194.6 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120806_101514.png
Views: 5350
Size:  243.8 KB

The wheels were around 20 meters behind. I don't know how the entire front portion of the truck got dropped behind.
Mods: Don't know why some photos appear rotated. Uploading from Android phone.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120806_101634.png
Views: 5340
Size:  291.3 KB
Old 6th August 2012, 12:19   #11787
BHPian

Bantwal: Four Injured in Serial Accident Near B C Road

Daijiworld Media Network - Bantwal (NM)

Bantwal, Aug 5: Four persons were injured in a road accident that took place at Brahmar-Kutlu near B C Road here on Sunday August 5.

The injured were P K Rao of KIOCL, his wife Vidya, their daughter and the driver identified as Omkar. Among them Rao is said to be serious.

The accident occured when a speeding CPC bus plying from Bangalore to Mangalore rammed into their Ford Figo. An Innova car which was behind the bus also rammed into it.

Soon after the accident, the driver of the bus fled the place and is still absconding. It is said that there was heavy traffic in the ghat section, and as a result, he was speeding to reach Mangalore on time.

The locals assisted in rescuing the injured from the mangled car and rushed them to Father Muller hospital in the city.

Bantwal town police have registered a case.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-5.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mangalore: Tempo-Bus Collision at Pavanje Claims One Life

Sunil Haleangady
Daijiworld Media Network – Mangalore (NM)

Mangalore, Aug 5: One person was killed and another seriously injured in an accident that took place between a tempo and a bus at Pavanje, Haleangady here in the wee hours of Sunday August 5.

The deceased has been identified as Raivan D'Souza, the tempo driver, while the injured is Vincy. Both are residents of Kenchangere.

At around 4.20 am, a private bus plying from Mangalore to Udupi rammed into the tempo which was carrying food for pigs. The tempo was plying towards Kinnigoli.

The injured was rushed to to Mukka hospital.

A case has been registered in Mukka police station.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-13.jpg
Old 6th August 2012, 12:23   #11788
BHPian

That Fortuner accident is horrible and eye-opening. I am a sedate driver within the city.

I rarely see SUVs (let's talk Pajs, T-Forts and Endys) in accidents getting themselves destroyed. I'm sure I'll remember the image of THAT T-Fort crushed beyond recognition when I hit the highways next.

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th August 2012 at 12:17. Reason: Please refrain from mentioning high speeds on the forum. Thanks!
Old 6th August 2012, 12:53   #11789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
The accident occured when a speeding CPC bus plying from Bangalore to Mangalore rammed into their Ford Figo. An Innova car which was behind the bus also rammed into it.
Really saddening to see loss of percious lifes.

That SUV/MUV in the pic does not look like an Innova. Any thoughts which vehicle is that?
Old 6th August 2012, 13:06   #11790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Really saddening to see loss of percious lifes.

That SUV/MUV in the pic does not look like an Innova. Any thoughts which vehicle is that?
that looks more like a Montero than a Innova.

Most Viewed