Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2008, 00:55   #1171
Team-BHP Support

I think I agree with Dan. He was actually trying to save something and swerved in the process. His wheels rode the divider (was not difficult probably as it looks to be a stepped divider) and resulted in the topple.

My only suspicion is that he was driving on the wrong side of the road. Only then his vehicles orientation looks to be a natural fit. Otherwise the vehicle would have pirouetted on its roof after it toppled over to take that orientation, in which case the damage to the roof and the pillars would have been much more extensive IMO.

@crazybike_me, that pic has been taken in Nagpur, Maharashtra and not in Chennai. Here are your pointers,

* The vehicle is registered MH 06 (Not Nagpur registered though)
* I can see a lal dabba (the MSRTC bus you see at the signal)
* The skyboards have devnagari script written on them (don't expect that in Chennai)
* Finally, one of the places written on that skyboard is Ramnagar which is in Nagpur

Last edited by Zappo : 17th November 2008 at 00:57.
Old 17th November 2008, 02:29   #1172
BHPian

In case like the Vitara, how do they straighten it out? Just roll it over? Isnt there a possibility of it causing more damage?
Old 17th November 2008, 07:27   #1173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I think it was a low speed stunt otherwise there would be much more sheet metal damage from the rollover. My guess is he caught that black and yellow curb, rode his right front wheel up over it and turned over at maybe less than 15kph...
It seems to be the cause. Else, as you said and not doubting the quality of the pillars, the sheet damage would have been more and there will definitely be some good amount of skid marks on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
...For you newbies, if this happens to you, get out and casually check your silencer, suspension, grease points and skid plates. If anybody says anything to you just smile and say, "Routine maintenance."
A good one Dan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
...Just roll it over? Isnt there a possibility of it causing more damage?
How else? I guess the damage will be there, regardless. First them will have to turn it so that the hood is off the divide and then flip it. So there goes any salvaging possible!
Old 17th November 2008, 09:38   #1174
BHPian

The build quality is impressive. It looks like a low speed accident. Where did it happen?
Old 17th November 2008, 09:39   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybike_me View Post
Is it in chennai nandanam Signal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I think I agree with Dan. He was actually trying to save something and swerved in the process. His wheels rode the divider (was not difficult probably as it looks to be a stepped divider) and resulted in the topple.

My only suspicion is that he was driving on the wrong side of the road. Only then his vehicles orientation looks to be a natural fit. Otherwise the vehicle would have pirouetted on its roof after it toppled over to take that orientation, in which case the damage to the roof and the pillars would have been much more extensive IMO.

@crazybike_me, that pic has been taken in Nagpur, Maharashtra and not in Chennai. Here are your pointers,

* The vehicle is registered MH 06 (Not Nagpur registered though)
* I can see a lal dabba (the MSRTC bus you see at the signal)
* The skyboards have devnagari script written on them (don't expect that in Chennai)
* Finally, one of the places written on that skyboard is Ramnagar which is in Nagpur
Plus road is built by MSRDC (Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation), so definitely not in Chennai.
Old 17th November 2008, 09:48   #1176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybike_me View Post
Is it in chennai nandanam Signal?
Looks like Law College Sq., Nagpur.
Old 17th November 2008, 10:36   #1177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty2008 View Post
The build quality is impressive. It looks like a low speed accident. Where did it happen?
It always brings a smile to my face when people comment on the build quality(good or bad) of a vehicle without having the faintest idea on how the accident happened, speeds involved etc.
Old 17th November 2008, 11:27   #1178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
It always brings a smile to my face when people comment on the build quality(good or bad) of a vehicle without having the faintest idea on how the accident happened, speeds involved etc.
Spot on. That's true.
Old 17th November 2008, 12:20   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
..even if the driver was drunk and managed to kill the innocent occupants of a not-so-nicely built small car which he ploughed into.

Old 17th November 2008, 12:33   #1180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur View Post
Looks like Law College Sq., Nagpur.
Chennai has no hoardings

Just like eveyrone here, me too surprised at the intact pillars. But still couldnt make out how it happened
Old 17th November 2008, 12:33   #1181
Senior - BHPian

This car is really built to protect the occupants!! great. Insurance shall pay for the most of the damages, nevertheless, I guess the driver was reckless!!
Old 21st November 2008, 16:23   #1182
Senior - BHPian

They can't read the brand name. That's the reason
Old 21st November 2008, 23:19   #1183
BHPian

This happened on the 10th of april 08.
Bro, mom and dad were travelling from mangalore to belgaum via hubli(Nh17-nh63-nh4) .
At about 2:30pm at a place called kalghatki(30kms from hubli) there is this straight super smooth and straight road. My bro was driving at about 90-100 when a front tyre blew. He lost control and in a fraction of a second the car went off the side of the road, toppled about 4-5 times and landed in the jungle near by.
Luckily all were wearing their seat belts. Mom was siting at the back and broke her ankle. dad was in front and had a small bruise on his forehead and my bro came out without a scratch.
I still remember my bro's phone call asking for help since the place was full of highway robers. I immd called up my friends in hubli and asked them to help him. then called up the Army HQ in belgum which inturn rushed 2 jeeps and an ambulance to the scene.
my folks had never worn a seat belt before and i had buckled the belts before they left mangalore and made them promise they'll never take em off while the car was moving.. If not for that, i would've lost my entire family.
The car was just 2 weeks old and my bro wanted to take it on a long drive since its his first car. i insisted he take the bigger car since its'll be safer but he didnt listen to me.. Thats the first and probably the last time my folks will ever go on a long drive.
Car was junked and on instructions from my bro, i booked another waggy which was delivered to us when they returned a week later.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd November 2008 at 13:26.
Old 22nd November 2008, 15:53   #1184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
I met with an accident on Chennai-Bangalore GQ Highway few weeks back.

We (I, my wife & my son) all came out un-scratch. The car took all the hit. was doing 90km/h that time and a motorbike suddenly came in the middle for no-where!
Oh! Gosh! Did you not put this car up for sale on t-BHP recently? Bad news.

Thank God you are all safe.

BH.
Old 22nd November 2008, 22:16   #1185
Senior - BHPian

James,
Thank god everyone is safe in your family. Shows the tremendous importance of seatbelts on Indian roads.

2 week old car and the tyre blew off ?

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd November 2008 at 13:28.

Most Viewed