Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2012, 11:50   #11896
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

What made you make that assessment that apparently seat belts were not worn?
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:23   #11897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Spotted this badly rear ended Verna on the expressway last weekend. Looks like a truck rammed into him at full clip. He must have definitely been stationary. Luckily, I didn't see any blood on the backseat, looks like there weren't any passengers at the rear.
Not an accident, but these monsters on road can flatten almost anything whether Asian or European. Here, is an article on Chinese accident, where the lucky driver escaped miraculously:

Lucky escape: truck flattens car in China - Latest car stories - MSN Cars UK
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:40   #11898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post

Mandya is a nasty region,
Also read a report that most of the valuables - Gold ornaments, mobile phones etc belonging to the deceased and injured were missing by the time they were brought to hospitals! No offence meant to anyone from Mandya, but this is a sad trend nowadays!
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:41   #11899
Senior - BHPian

As per news, a Calicut-Chennai bus met with an accident between Calicut& Palghat. Any info which bus is this?
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:52   #11900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Also read a report that most of the valuables - Gold ornaments, mobile phones etc belonging to the deceased and injured were missing by the time they were brought to hospitals! No offence meant to anyone from Mandya, but this is a sad trend nowadays!
In this accident too, it was reported that jewellery belonging to the victims were missing when brought to the hospital.
Old 23rd August 2012, 13:04   #11901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but this is a sad trend nowadays!
I wouldn't say its a recent trend. Our country was never safe for travelers. (Some interesting read - How the British broke the Thugs of India and how to apply those methods against terrorists). Probably its getting safer these years.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 13:15   #11902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
What made you make that assessment that apparently seat belts were not worn?
The cabin is in pretty good shape to cause fatal injuries. The passengers might me thrown forward on impact causing the fatality. That is what I think. There are many other reasons but not wearing seat belt seems to be most likely in this case.
Old 23rd August 2012, 20:24   #11903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post

Mandya is a nasty region, even if one is involved in a small brush of vehicles, be rest assured that your vehicle would be burnt by the locals. Moreover the local SUVs in this area drive very notoriously. I always am extra cautious here....
Such things are common in almost every city/town of india. Whether it is bangalore/chennai or some remote areas of bihar or UP. Let's admit that almost no city/town is 100 % safe in india. We have a long way to go to ensure such safety for the road travellers.

Coming back to the above incident, it is still not clear whether some SUV or any other vehicle in Mandya was responsible for this accident. I dont think it was wise to jump to such quick conclusions. And regarding the 'nastiness', all i would say is, let us refrain from making such loose statements/comments.
Old 23rd August 2012, 22:12   #11904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik

Such things are common in almost every city/town of india. Whether it is bangalore/chennai or some remote areas of bihar or UP. Let's admit that almost no city/town is 100 % safe in india. We have a long way to go to ensure such safety for the road travellers.

Coming back to the above incident, it is still not clear whether some SUV or any other vehicle in Mandya was responsible for this accident. I dont think it was wise to jump to such quick conclusions. And regarding the 'nastiness', all i would say is, let us refrain from making such loose statements/comments.
No offense mate. These are my personal opinions based on things which happened to the people I know. I guess we are still a democracy and I am free to have an opinion. :-)
Old 24th August 2012, 09:24   #11905
BHPian

Belthangady: KSRTC Bus Topples

Daijiworld Media Network – Belthangady (VM)

Belthangady , Aug 24: A KSRTC bus (KA 19 F 2318) plying from Uppinangady to Dharmasthal toppled as driver lost his control around 10.10 am at Konkonottu curve road near Kuntalapalke here on Thursday, August 23.

There were no injuries reported and traffic was blocked for till evening in Ujire-Bundaru-Uppinangady road.

A crane from Dharmasthala bus depot was brought to move the bus.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg  

Old 24th August 2012, 09:38   #11906
BHPian

Saw remains of a very bad accident opposite Cafe Coffee Day on ITPL main road involving a Wagon R and Qualis, Wagon R looked very badly hit on the left side. It might have happened during yesterday's rains. Any idea?
Old 24th August 2012, 11:59   #11907
Senior - BHPian

The Hindu : Cities / Chennai : 9 die as bus rams lorry on NH4

Quote:
Nine persons, including a three-year-old girl, were killed and 10 injured when a State Express Transport Corporation (SETC) bus hit a stationary lorry on the Chennai-Bangalore National Highway (NH4) near here on Thursday.
According to the police, the accident took place around 3.30 p.m. when the bus, driven by Chitty Babu (52) of Vellore was proceeding towards Chennai from Hosur (route number 303).
As the vehicle reached the Rajakulam junction, the driver of the bus noticed a lorry parked on the second lane. He swerved the vehicle towards the median in order to avoid hitting the lorry but in vain, police said.
In the impact, the left side of the bus was completely ripped off, causing injuries to 13 persons, including the bus conductor, Gajendran (58) of Vellore, and killing six commuters on the spot.
Old 24th August 2012, 13:48   #11908
Senior - BHPian

A few posts back, I had mentioned about a trend across the country where after an accident, the valuables belonging to the involved were to be seen missing. Then just got to read this report on the accident that happened yesterday near Kanchipuram. read the last line of the report!
9 killed as bus hits lorry | Deccan Chronicle

Quote:
Local villagers helped the police to collect all the luggage and valuables belonging to the passengers, which were strewn on the road and handed them over to the police for safe-keeping.
Kudos to them
It is a fact that at most places, the localites are the first ones to arrive and start the rescue operations! One classic example is the Kadalundi train accident in 2001 in Kerala, where the contribution of the localites in saving many lives was worth weight in gold
Old 24th August 2012, 14:34   #11909
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
A few posts back, I had mentioned about a trend across the country where after an accident, the valuables belonging to the involved were to be seen missing. Then just got to read this report on the accident that happened yesterday near Kanchipuram. read the last line of the report!
9 killed as bus hits lorry | Deccan Chronicle

Kudos to them
It is a fact that at most places, the localites are the first ones to arrive and start the rescue operations! One classic example is the Kadalundi train accident in 2001 in Kerala, where the contribution of the localites in saving many lives was worth weight in gold
I err on the side of caution, and advise everyone I know to keep an eye out for everything. My dad had a major accident on the highway to Jaipur in 1994, the whole 800 was ripped apart. Thankfully dad, mom and my dog, all came out with hardly a scratch.
The heroes in this case were truck drivers who stopped and helped my folks.They even managed to, somehow, move the car from the centre of the road to the verge.
In the time it took for the truckwallahs to guide my folks to a petrol pump nearby, and come back to the car to shift it, the stereo was gone, the speakers were dislodged(as if someone was interrupted, and everything in the glovebox(papers, some chips, cassettes etc...no money) was all gone.
The only reason the luggage was left was because it covered by the speaker tray.

All I am saying is that beleive in the goodness of man, but also believe equally that the next man may sell your heart for pittances.
Old 25th August 2012, 15:03   #11910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
That looks really bad! The car is damaged so bad that its hard to even make out if the airbags opened up or not and by looking at the seats this looks like the SX(O) model which comes with 6 airbags.
Did the driver escape unhurt? I don't see any blood on the seats so I suppose he wasn't injured or maybe he wasn't in the car when the truck rear ended it.
Amazing observation there aparth.

I think that the driver might have gotten out to take a leak and when he came back he saw his car crushed into a tin can.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks