Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2012, 17:39   #12106
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
So got myself a car which didnt have any of these. But after a couple of months, got only the central locking installed due to the insistence of my friends.
I feel, in the unlikely event of such a failure of electical controls, i might still stand a chance of escaping since i can lower my windows and get out of the car.
I would suggest, not to be too much hysterical.
These stuffs are built into the car for convenience. In real world scenario, there could be safety concerns even for Volvos.
So, instead of completely avoiding these, as carwatcher suggested, practical safety tools, like hammer, would make much more sense.
Old 4th October 2012, 21:35   #12107
Senior - BHPian

Narrating an incident (not accident).
Recently we went to Bangalore by road. A few KM after Pune moving towards Katraj tunnel, we spotted a a couple of vehicles at slow speed in front of us. There was not much traffic and we were not sure why vehicles were moving in a convoy.
It was around 7:45 PM. Then we spotted a couple of bikers in front of the vehicles signalling something.
My first reaction was the bikers were indicating that we should get behind them and not overtake. Maybe there was something coming from the other side, but there was nothing.
Then we realized that the truck in front of the bikers was swaying dangerously from left to right. The driver was either drunk or asleep or both.
The movements were quite unpredictable and the trucker was using up both the lanes.
Somehow we started honking in order to wake up the driver, but the horns did not have any effect. The Swift Dzire guy in front of us slowed down thinking that we were in a hurry.
Somehow we honked hard and passed the truck at a rapid speed from the right.
I don't know what happened to the rest of the gang, but at least there was no news of an accident the next day that I am aware of.

Anyone been in a similar situation?
Old 5th October 2012, 00:31   #12108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Narrating an incident (not accident).
Then we realized that the truck in front of the bikers was swaying dangerously from left to right. The driver was either drunk or asleep or both.
The movements were quite unpredictable and the trucker was using up both the lanes.
.....Anyone been in a similar situation?
its such a deja vu ...yesterday something very similar happened in my office commute, this happened on the 101 here in Phoenix and there was this guy in a BMW 7 series driving in between lanes and cutting dangerously to other cars, it was scary as it is a 65 mph road and speeds of 70-75 mph are common ...although it is a 8 lane road ( 4+4), no one overtook that guy and while taking my exit , I glanced at the driver and sure enough he was looking dazed / stoned

Last edited by mazda4life : 5th October 2012 at 00:32. Reason: misspelled
Old 5th October 2012, 11:03   #12109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanshaheed View Post
.... was thinking on your lines, but the downside is that if the doors get unlocked on impact, there is a greater chance of the passengers being thrown out of the vehicle on impact....
The remedy to being thrown out is to wear seat belts at all times. They may prevent falling off from the car.
Old 5th October 2012, 20:07   #12110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Why are billions of them so eager to pose for a pic?
On lighter note.
With population over 1.25 billion you will hardly see a pic without so many people
Old 6th October 2012, 10:14   #12111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Why would leaking gas take 30 mins to ignite . Could also be leaking fuel.
I actually second that. A closer look at the accident photo in the news paper, I could see the gas tank almost intact. Could have been leaking fuel.
Old 8th October 2012, 08:10   #12112
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a gruesome accident on NICE road few minutes ago.
looked like the accident happened just then.
it was on the Bhannerghatta road junction.
two lads had lost their lives in what looked like their 2 wheeler had crashed into a stationary truck.
I couldn't click any pics.

at this junction many trucks are parked (which they are not supposed to do) and I think these guys haven't noticed one such truck and crashed at a high speed

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 8th October 2012 at 08:12.
Old 8th October 2012, 09:36   #12113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Saw a gruesome accident on NICE road few minutes ago.
looked like the accident happened just then.
it was on the Bhannerghatta road junction.
two lads had lost their lives in what looked like their 2 wheeler had crashed into a stationary truck.
I couldn't click any pics.

at this junction many trucks are parked (which they are not supposed to do) and I think these guys haven't noticed one such truck and crashed at a high speed

Is this the junction where if we go straight we will head towards ECity and there is a left turn for the Banerghatta road exit?
Old 8th October 2012, 10:42   #12114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Is this the junction where if we go straight we will head towards ECity and there is a left turn for the Banerghatta road exit?
Yes you are right.

Though the NICE guys have put up a "NO stopping on this road" board, there are no Lay-byes for emergency or breakdown.
This is one of the reasons for such accidents.
After many such accidents I've observed that they are now clearing land for construction of lay-byes
By the way, those two guys on the motorcycle today didn't seem to be wearing a helmet
Old 8th October 2012, 11:47   #12115
BHPian

A simple question to all T-BHPians : How many of us actually follow the speed limit of 80 KMPH on NICE road? I took the NICE road first time when I went to Mysore. I tried to maintain 80 but got a lot of honks and stares from other drivers who were overtaking. Now I do 100+, otherwise I know someone will ram my car from behind. Can NICE authority maintain speed guns before critical/accident-prone areas on NICE? The police will note down the vehicle regn. number and enter a fine against that vehicle in RTO Fines database through blackberry handheld. The fine will be clubbed with the toll amount in the nearest toll booth on NICE and it can be paid along with the toll in the booths. This, I think, may curb down dangerous speeding on NICE to a large extent.
Old 8th October 2012, 11:52   #12116
Senior - BHPian

^@ankan: Good suggestion, though expecting toll booths to give money to RTO/ Govt. is a bad idea.
In the middle east, the fines get collected every year when you go for renewal of you car permit (or something of that sort).
So, if you don't pay up, you cannot drive - simple.
Old 8th October 2012, 12:06   #12117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
A simple question to all T-BHPians : How many of us actually follow the speed limit of 80 KMPH on NICE road? I took the NICE road first time when I went to Mysore. I tried to maintain 80 but got a lot of honks and stares from other drivers who were overtaking. Now I do 100+, otherwise I know someone will ram my car from behind.
I use to think the same way and drive at higher speeds to avoid stares. I believe there are remote chances of getting hit from a vehicle behind at 80 kmph.

Let the morons morons honk and stare at you. Their behavior will not harm you, over speeding will.

Yesterday I was driving back from Delhi to Gurgaon from NH8 at an steady speed of 80. An Indica just stopped in front without any warning or signal, apparently because of a puncture. I manage to avoid the collision by a few inches but an i10 could not. Later the i10 overtook me and I saw its badly damaged fender and RHS ORVM.

IMO self discipline is more important than state policing to avoid accidents.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 16:53   #12118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
A simple question to all T-BHPians : How many of us actually follow the speed limit of 80 KMPH on NICE road? I took the NICE road first time when I went to Mysore. I tried to maintain 80 but got a lot of honks and stares from other drivers who were overtaking. Now I do 100+, otherwise I know someone will ram my car from behind. Can NICE authority maintain speed guns before critical/accident-prone areas on NICE? The police will note down the vehicle regn. number and enter a fine against that vehicle in RTO Fines database through blackberry handheld. The fine will be clubbed with the toll amount in the nearest toll booth on NICE and it can be paid along with the toll in the booths. This, I think, may curb down dangerous speeding on NICE to a large extent.
Its not only about driving at 80 kph ! You can drive at 60 kph on the right lane and still be a bigger risk to others than someone doing 100 kph .

Following lane discipline plays such an important role . On a 4 lane road( 2 lanes in each direction) , you are supposed to use the right lane only for overtaking . Overtake and then drive on the left lane so that the right lane is left open for any faster vehicle . It is only when idiots drive on the right lane that other drivers are forced to overtake from the left or wait till this driver gives way .

Same way , on a 6 lane road ( 3 lanes on either side) , third lane is for trucks or slower moving vehicles , middle lane is for cruising and the right lane is only for overtaking .

This way , there are lesser chances of anyone getting rear ended by a faster car
Old 8th October 2012, 17:21   #12119
BHPian

This happened about an hour back on Ahemedabad highway near Vasai. Its a sand truck. Looks like it hit something before it toppled. The driver and cleaner were sitting on the divider with minor injuries.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-truckres.jpg  

Last edited by Tejas Ingle : 8th October 2012 at 17:30. Reason: Upload failed
Old 9th October 2012, 12:01   #12120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Its not only about driving at 80 kph ! You can drive at 60 kph on the right lane and still be a bigger risk to others than someone doing 100 kph .

Following lane discipline plays such an important role . On a 4 lane road( 2 lanes in each direction) , you are supposed to use the right lane only for overtaking . Overtake and then drive on the left lane so that the right lane is left open for any faster vehicle . It is only when idiots drive on the right lane that other drivers are forced to overtake from the left or wait till this driver gives way .
What if the car on the rightmost lane is driving at the speed limit - that should be fine right, because other cars should not be trying to overtake it by going beyond the speed limit (speaking of rules) ?
akj123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks