Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2013, 11:44   #13276
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Hello All,

A 19 year old biker - Bhavik Harsora was killed when Best Driver failed to see him approaching from right side.

The accident occured near Thakur college in Kandivali East & Bhavik died at the hospital.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20320494.cms

Thanks,
Old 29th May 2013, 13:38   #13277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post

Maybe the didn't deploy as the electrical connections to them got damaged when the 'A' pillar took the hit. There are a tons of reasons for them not having deployed.
They should take this as a case study and make sure that the airbags start to deploy at moment of impact.
Does anyone know where the acceleration sensors for the airbags are on the XUV?If they are behind the bumper,in this crash,the deceleration might not have been enough,since the bonnet and A pillar took the shear impact over a distance.
Old 29th May 2013, 14:10   #13278
BHPian

Bus headed to Mumbai collides with container truck on Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway, 15 dead

I saw in a local channel that it was a sleeper bus.
Old 29th May 2013, 14:46   #13279
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Four more accidents on deadly Mumbai - Goa highway leaves people 8 dead:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20319311.cms

Three people from Dahisar were killed yesterday when Sumo (in which they are travelling) collided head-on with a truck loaded with onions. Mr. Chandrakant Sonar 46 years old, his son Anish 12 years old and their 45 year old neighbour Rajashri Hemanti Vedak lost their lives. Anish was in class VI & his father (Mr. Chandrakant) often used to work overtime to save money for his better education.

Thanks,
Old 30th May 2013, 01:45   #13280
BHPian

Not sure if this has been posted before. Found on FB.

Couldn't help laughing at it

Not in India though.

5 accidents in one min

Most of the times, we talk about accidents and here is a good one!
There is still goodness around us

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 30th May 2013 at 01:56. Reason: Adding second video
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 08:45   #13281
Senior - BHPian

Malayala Manorama is reporting another accident involving students out long drive. Five 18-year olds from a college in Cochin were in a car that jumped the median and rammed into an oncoming truck somewhere beyond Krishnagiri towards Chennai. Three died, other two critical in a local hospital.

Found an English link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20340304.cms
Old 30th May 2013, 10:39   #13282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Malayala Manorama is reporting another accident involving students out long drive. Five 18-year olds from a college in Cochin were in a car that jumped the median and rammed into an oncoming truck somewhere beyond Krishnagiri towards Chennai. Three died, other two critical in a local hospital.

I am terrified at driving these days. I wonder how people manage to jump medians and land on other innocent vehicles on the other side. :'(

I always say this to my friends and family - Never speed up on an empty stretch. A simple tyre burst can throw you meters away on the road. Why take chances all the time ?
Respect your life and other's life too.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 10:52   #13283
BHPian

Quote:
Passed through NH8 yesterday itself. Heard that this happened at 07:00 hours and I happened to pass by at around 17:00 hours. Nothing sort of on the roads. Seems everything was cleared.
This makes me all the more conscious on the roads not only for vehicles in my lanes, but also the ones in the opposite lanes as well. This thread always reminds me of keeping sane speeds. Kept the speeds in the range of 80-90 kmph all throughout.

EDIT:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-.jpg

Google maps reveals that I missed the spot by some distance. The highlighted area is where the accident took place and marked route is the one I took. Does that solve the mystery that why the road was a bit empty yesterday.

Last edited by carzone : 30th May 2013 at 11:00. Reason: adding map screenshot
Old 30th May 2013, 13:09   #13284
BHPian

Last Monday on my way back from my trip to down south, i happened to saw an accident live in front of my eyes. I pity the Swift involved in that accident. The road was all wet due to a sudden down pour on this stretch (between Madurai to Trichy, two-lane dual-carriage way), its dusk ~6.00pm, I was hovering around 100 km/hr. suddenly i saw a pile of trucks coming head on in same lane i drove, and they also left the blinker on as they wants to take the right on the on coming intersection. On noticing this, i slowed down and stopped my car on the extreme left before the intersection, and two of the trucks proceed up towards its right on the intersection and the third truck started moving..

Suddenly i heard tyre screaching noise from behind, a white Swift slamming its breaks on the right lane, resulted in skiding and ended up banging on the divider after passing the intersection. Due to the impact, the back side of the car jumped up and thankfully landed back safely. The lower part of the front got a huge hit. Thankfully he swerved onto the divider, which is not of big height.

Guess the driver noticed the trucks lately or may be he didn't expect Trucks on the wrong lane.

I guess both the driver and the front passenger got buckled up and i could see they openned the door and walked down without any issues. I attempt to call the helpline, but it was engaged, one biker standing on the service lane told me that he just called and patrol will reach in few minutes. and I started proceding up the journey. On the way i saw a Container Truck broke down on the middle of the opposite lane, this leads the oncoming vehicles to take the wrong lane.
Old 30th May 2013, 14:02   #13285
BHPian

Quote:

I would rather blame the parents of these youngsters who let them out on a long trip. They are all 18-20 yr old and would lack sufficient experience (unless they started driving at an illegal age) and maturity for long drives.
Old 30th May 2013, 14:31   #13286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
I would rather blame the parents of these youngsters who let them out on a long trip. They are all 18-20 yr old and would lack sufficient experience (unless they started driving at an illegal age) and maturity for long drives.
Leading to the obvious question, what age or years of driving experience do you reckon is needed for a long drive (which, in four cases, involved sitting in the passenger seats - does that also require experience in your view)?
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 14:45   #13287
BHPian

Quote:
Leading to the obvious question, what age or years of driving experience do you reckon is needed for a long drive (which, in four cases, involved sitting in the passenger seats - does that also require experience in your view)?
Well, I cannot fix an age as the Govt has already fixed it at 18. But I will not let anyone in my family out on a long drive with a bunch of 18-20 yr old guys or someone with questionable driving skills. No offence to any young drivers here. This is my strictly my personal opinion.
DieselLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 15:04   #13288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Well, I cannot fix an age as the Govt has already fixed it at 18. But I will not let anyone in my family out on a long drive with a bunch of 18-20 yr old guys or someone with questionable driving skills. No offence to any young drivers here. This is my strictly my personal opinion.
At that age, I was a student in Mumbai, about 1700km (rail distance then) from my home in Calicut. I had travelled by my scooter from Mumbai to Alibagh, Lonavla/Khandala, Pune, Daman etc. during my undergrad days - my parents actually never knew about any of these trips.

Last edited by binand : 30th May 2013 at 15:06.
Old 30th May 2013, 15:37   #13289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I saw in a local channel that it was a sleeper bus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
hours. Nothing sort of on the roads. Seems everything was cleared.
Hello,

A picture from yesterday's accident on Mumbai - Ahmedabad Highway that killed 14 people, mostly returning home after vacations:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

The Charoti toll naka discontinued toll collection in the morning to help movement of traffic, which had piled-up up in the morning peak hours.

Thanks,
Old 31st May 2013, 13:52   #13290
Distinguished - BHPian

Disclaimer: This video is not of India. But very relevant to our risks in our day-to-day driving. Drive safe!

Facebook Video Link

Most Viewed