Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2013, 12:07   #13366
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
IF all the occupants were wearing seatbelts, then yes. I've rarely seen a back seat passenger wear seatbelt in India. So we can't be entirely sure on that. The passengers could be thrown around inside the cabin if they were not wearing seat belts, since the car toppled.
I am ridiculed when I ask the back seat occupants to wear that damn seat bealt - Simple reply - its not mandatory. My reply - I dont care a damn if its not, either wear the seat belt or get a bus/auto.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 14:39   #13367
Senior - BHPian

And I am NOT amazed at this. Quoting the headline
Quote:
Drunk neta rams new SUV into house wall
Full News Here:

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/artic...ouse-wall.html

That looks like a XUV 500.
Old 12th June 2013, 14:58   #13368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
People drive bumper to bumper and many are reckless, like this cab driver.
or many TBHPians. I think it was a bangalorean only who proudly claimed to drive bumper to bumper to avoid motorcyclists darting in/out.
Old 12th June 2013, 15:27   #13369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
or many TBHPians. I think it was a bangalorean only who proudly claimed to drive bumper to bumper to avoid motorcyclists darting in/out.
Aha. I see you remember me.

But again, there are conditions in which one drives bumper to bumper.

For me, its' got to be in 1st gear and less than 5kmph only, where bumper to bumper is safe (as per me). It keeps me safe from those 2 wheelers squeezing in and scratching my car.
At sane speeds of anything beyond 10-20kmph, I keep a good 1/2 car distance from the vehicle ahead of me.

Again, all of the above is as per my perception and experience and driving conditions and time of day, etc. I would rather let those bikers squeeze in than me bumping into the car ahead of me, when its raining or in the evening, when the visibility is low or I'm tired.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 15:48   #13370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Aha. I see you remember me.

But again, there are conditions in which one drives bumper to bumper.
I only abuse when I am out alone on the road, otherwise I never use such words in front of my mother, wife and child.

You see where the slippery slope of logic is going.

(to all, not u Soumyajit):
Let us be equally considerate to the driving of others on the road and not judge them simply because they've had an accident and we haven't? Esp when many of us were just not there at the time of the incident!

@dzrebellz: You needn't be apologetic about seatbelts.A firm "My car, my rules" works IMHO.

Last edited by phamilyman : 12th June 2013 at 15:52.
Old 12th June 2013, 15:51   #13371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And I am NOT amazed at this. Quoting the headline

Full News Here:

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/artic...ouse-wall.html

That looks like a XUV 500.
Audi SUVs now represent money power and the unfortunate incidents linked to BMWs before :(
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 16:13   #13372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
(to all, not u Soumyajit):
Let us be equally considerate to the driving of others on the road and not judge them simply because they've had an accident and we haven't? Esp when many of us were just not there at the time of the incident!
Absolute truth. We become too much judgemental when we see something unfortunate that has already happened. Conditions differ for each unfortunate accident.

For driving bumper to bumper, I'll cite an incident. Around the last week of May, I was driving home from work. As expected roads were absolutely choked due to incessant rains. I was in the comfort of the car, but I could see desperate bikers trying to inch their way ahead. I maintained a good gap of atleast 0.8 car to let those bikers pass through the gaps.
Reason -
1) I didn't want the biker to fall sick. They were drenched.
2) I didn't want to bump into the car ahead of me. Visibility was around 20mts or so.

I do consider every other road user and I do judge them too, depending on the situation around me. I have been doing and will do - Block those squeezing people (2,3 wheelers) when its absolutely unneccesary and uncalled for. They should learn patience and respect. Two wheels doesn't give them wings. But again, neither does 4 wheels.

If they act smart, they should know there is someone smarter than them. If not me, then God.

P.S: Ohh, forgot to mention. An "unfortunate" biker banged my RHS bumper, just because he was trying to squeeze in between my car and the one besides me. Happened this Monday, on the way to work, near Kundalahalli, B'lore, at 10:00 AM. I considered him and moved my car a little aside to the left and let him squeeze in between us. In the process, he banged the LHS ORVM of the car beside me, cut in front of me, moved to the extreme left lane and disappeared. Damage - A paint removed black scratch.
Sorry, this post should have gone to Bad Drivers or Rants on Bangalore Traffic thread.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 12th June 2013 at 16:17. Reason: Added P.S Section
Old 12th June 2013, 19:29   #13373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9
For me, its' got to be in 1st gear and less than 5kmph only, where bumper to bumper is safe (as per me). It keeps me safe from those 2 wheelers squeezing in and scratching my car.
Since majority bikers ride the same way (darting in and out between cars without worrying for their lives) in Chennai too, I fully understand why you do that. However, as a note of caution, the possibility of you hitting the car in front is more at low speeds, since these would be typically stop-go traffic situation where there will be barely some space between you and the car in front, reducing the reaction-time. Also, another risk here is of the car/bike behind you bumping into your rear bumper. Not to mention the stress involved in such driving.
Old 12th June 2013, 21:40   #13374
BHPian

Quote:

As expected roads were absolutely choked due to incessant rains. I was in the comfort of the car, but I could see desperate bikers trying to inch their way ahead. I maintained a good gap of atleast 0.8 car to let those bikers pass through the gaps.
Reason -
1) I didn't want the biker to fall sick. They were drenched.
2) I didn't want to bump into the car ahead of me. Visibility was around 20mts or so.

I do consider every other road user and I do judge them too, depending on the situation around me. I have been doing and will do - Block those squeezing people (2,3 wheelers) when its absolutely unneccesary and uncalled for. They should learn patience and respect. Two wheels doesn't give them wings. But again, neither does 4 wheels.
Same here. As I mostly drive to work, I have minimized using my Bullet to commute in office hours. But been there and done that.
Here is the bikers point: It is scary to ride a bike when its even mildly drizzling on the road. The people in the cars have absolutely no courtesy of slowing down when there is a puddle of water in order to avoid splashing drain water on bikers, wont give way to them and keep honking if they slow down (well talking about most of the junta out there). All of this happens when the car is in the slow lane (left most lane) which should ideally be left to the bike riders and buses.

But hey who am I to judge others. Now as I drive to work (95% of the times) I absolutely make sure that I wont act like these guys ever.

Quote:
If they act smart, they should know there is someone smarter than them. If not me, then God.
Very well said. But isn't it true for all of us? Bikers, Drivers, Bus drivers, TT's, Cabs? What as 'educated' people we can do is to follow rules and be considerate to others on the roads.
Old 12th June 2013, 23:02   #13375
BHPian

For a brief while I was practising this bumper-to-bumper method to prevent two-wheelers (and sometimes autos) from squeezing in until one day I failed to notice this protruding hook from the back of a Scorpio that I bumped into. After effects: broken number plate, slightly cracked bumper grill, damage to some AC-related part (replaced under warranty for no charge (or it'd be ~4k INR)).

Nowadays I just relax and ride the torque. I try to take care to be slow, predictable and stick to my lane as much as possible letting others cut/cross me as they wish. Leaves me a lot less stressed out (totally worth it) by not trying to fight it out with all the two-wheelers and autos than before. Maybe lose out five to ten minutes in my entire commute.
nareshov is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 13:25   #13376
Distinguished - BHPian

Today morning on by ride to ECity on NICE road, i saw a XUV toppled over to the side off the road just 2 kms before the ECity toll. Looks like no one was injured. Anyone has more details on the incident?
Old 13th June 2013, 13:47   #13377
BHPian

Saw this on my way to work. Looked like a Maruti Dzire. But on closer inspection it was a Indigo CS.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc.jpg  

Old 13th June 2013, 18:55   #13378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Today morning on by ride to ECity on NICE road, i saw a XUV toppled over to the side off the road just 2 kms before the ECity toll. Looks like no one was injured. Anyone has more details on the incident?
Even I saw that Black XUV500. Not sure about the reason though.
Also, saw the below truck between NICE-BG Road Junction and Electronic City Toll,
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0023.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0025.jpg  

Old 13th June 2013, 22:54   #13379
Senior - BHPian

This happened today evening, about 10 km before Palamaner, towards Bangalore(Old Madras road). There was a train of vehicles on both the lanes, then a sudden screech of tyres and a crash sound.

I pity the Tavera guy. Suffering for no fault of his own.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20130613_172311.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20130613_172317.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20130613_172328.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20130613_172333.jpg  

Old 13th June 2013, 23:50   #13380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Even I saw that Black XUV500. Not sure about the reason though.
Also, saw the below truck between NICE-BG Road Junction and Electronic City Toll,
This truck was carrying PVC pipes. The pipes were all over the road. Seems like by the time you have taken the picture, they were cleared.
In the evening I saw this same truck removed form its accident location and put on the road side. I damage didn't seem too much...Driver must have escaped with injuries.

I somehow can't digest that so many people doze off on our highways. I almost see such accidents on this road. They look like toys thrown by kids!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks