Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2013, 19:15   #13681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post

2. Install a car video recorder, I will do it .
Off topic:There is a discussion thread available on this.I use the android app 'dailyroads voyager' on my smartphone with a car holder as a recorder.Doubles up as a teambhp sticker spotter tool too.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 21:05   #13682
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Hyderabad: A teenage girl dies after the bike she was riding on skid due to bad roads and possibly bad driving on the part of the rider and the driver of the bus that ran over her. Very sad.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/13072...lls-inter-girl
Old 24th July 2013, 22:33   #13683
Senior - BHPian

This one happened on the Punjagutta flyover in Hyderabad in the afternoon today. Looks like the vehicles are Fortuner and Santro.

I went over the same stretch this morning and found many rough surfaces on the fly-over, which was quite smooth a couple of weeks ago.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hydaccident.jpg
Old 25th July 2013, 09:30   #13684
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday when I was going home from work, I saw some 50 people and lots of police officers at Gunjur in Bangalore. I could not figure out why.

Today I read in newspaper that a 24 year old biker named Naveen was knocked down by a Canter truck trying to overtake him from the left. The accident decapitated Naveen. May his soul rest in peace.

I believe the biker was in the middle of the road because there are many potholes on the sides of the road, but trucks can drive through them easily.
Old 25th July 2013, 12:37   #13685
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday I lost one my close friends Harish in a terrible road accident.
His mistake-he was following rules!
He was on his bike work and he had stopped at a signal when a tanker from behind broke the signal and ran over him at . His face was damaged beyond recognition with no other damage elsewhere on his body.
Below is a newspaper report in today's papers

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130725_080125.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-harish.jpg

Contrary to the news report, he died on the spot. The news paper also says that he was married for 18 months but in fact today is his 1st wedding anniversary!
News paper stories are never 100% true. Example is in both papers they have different names for the truck driver.

Its heart wrenching that on his first wedding anniversary is his funeral.
Just 20 days ago he was a proud father and since yesterday morning he is no more.
He had driven to Khardungla from Bangalore and back in 2010 on this very same Karizma and had given me valuable inputs for my Ladakh trip last year.

It hurts so much more because he was a very safe driver and always used to follow rules/wear helmets. Generally he used to drive his car to office but just because he wanted to come back early from office and then leave for his native place yesterday night (probably for his anniversary), he had taken the bike.

All this for being on the right side of rules and the truck driver can get away with 5000/- fine. this is the cost for taking the life of the sole bread earner of his family

Click image for larger version

Name:	harish.JPG
Views:	5432
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1116291
2010 When he was on K-top

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-harish-karizma.jpg
His Last Ride

We will miss him...RIP! :(
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-harishk.jpg  

hemanth.anand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 12:41   #13686
Senior - BHPian

Damn, that is really very sad news Hemanth :(

May his soul rest in peace.
Old 25th July 2013, 13:50   #13687
BHPian

That's really sad. May his soul rest in peace.
Old 25th July 2013, 14:20   #13688
BHPian

That is indeed very sad and my heart goes out to the bereaved family , some one so young has been snatched away so prematurely by the cruel hands of fate .For the truck driver its just another person killed , he will be out on bail even before we can blink our eye , he shall be just another statistic for the police .Regulations and rules in our country are there but unfortunately their implementation is pathetic.Such fatal accidents are taken so casually by the truck owners!! who just say " man died could not help!!! but none the less bail will take 20 mts .Also in the same breath they say MACT hai na !! But can the irreparable loss be set right . RIP departed soul !!
Old 25th July 2013, 14:32   #13689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
He was on his bike work and he had stopped at a signal when ...
Really Sad news :( Especially for no fault of his.

Last edited by mobike008 : 26th July 2013 at 16:19. Reason: Lets go slow in emotions :)
Old 25th July 2013, 14:33   #13690
Senior - BHPian

Feel so sad. Cant imagine what his family might be feeling right now. May god give strength to his family.
Old 25th July 2013, 14:53   #13691
BHPian

Once a truck driver unloading my factory's raw material told me that a couple of years prior, while driving his truck he had dashed a long rickshaw ( Tam-tam) and killed over 10 people. I asked him how he was out driving even now, he confessed that the sub-inspector took a couple of lakhs to save his skin.

So the problem is not only that of truck drivers causing accidents, it is this pathetic legal system which helps them keep doing it! I honestly think that the police force is nothing more than vultures in uniform. Have any of you ever, ever seen an honest cop who also does some actual work?
john doe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 17:13   #13692
BHPian

John you cant generalize on the basis of one isolated cop or may be a bunch of them . Its the system, our attitude towards safety and mainly the legal system which has made the cops come to the present state of affairs. An example would be the helmet rule. Helmets are compulsory but leaving aside Delhi where is the rule observed , whenever the cops try to enforce it strictly we always come up with various excuses to circumvent the system. The second case being the use of sun films , we are all aware that sun films are banned in the country since September 2012 how many of us have had them removed!??.So why blame only the policeman. Here in Gujarat what I observe is something even more unique , two wheeler drivers jump the red lights right under the nose of the cops. Ahmedabad would probably be the only city in the whole country where at crossing , with all lights working you need 4 traffic cops to enforce the signals!!.So i guess all of us who drive need a bit of introspection , rather than plainly blame cops.!!. The case we are talking of and the valuable human life lost no doubt is irreplaceable , but the cause may not always be the cop.!!

Note from Support: Please see point #2 here and ensure you apply it to your posts in the future. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th July 2013 at 19:52. Reason: Please see the note that has been added to your post.
Old 25th July 2013, 20:08   #13693
Senior - BHPian

Very tragic news about the bikers killed in the accident for no fault of theirs.

May their soul rest in peace and God give the families strength to bear the immense loss.

I cannot fathom why people just don't follow the rules? Do they need a cop at every junction to make them adhere to rules?
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 20:26   #13694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
very saddened by the news Hemanth. may his soul rest in peace.

may God give his family the strength to bear the terrible loss of their loved one and you, the loss of a very good friend.
Old 25th July 2013, 20:57   #13695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He was on his bike work and he had stopped at a signal when a tanker from behind broke the signal and ran over him at . His face was damaged beyond recognition with no other damage elsewhere on his body.
Below is a newspaper report in today's papers

Really sad, infuriating - I am seething with anger. I hope that truckie's karma catches up with him.

I hope Harish's family can cope with this terrible loss. I once read about such an incident where the young owner/driver died in a car accident (immediately). His mother and wife died of shock at the hospital. His father died due to heart attack after the 12th day function. 2 young girls at the mercy of the world.

I really pray that they can draw the strength required to handle the loss for the sake of the child. Hope you friends can support them as much as required.

That said, it cements my personal belief - city roads have far more morons per kilometer than most highways. Ironical since most parents worry about their (grown up) children undertaking long rides when the risk is bigger nearer to home.
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed