Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2013, 00:03   #13981
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

A case of carelessness, and an innocent paying the price. Thankfully no one was seriously hurt, what could have been a deadly accident.

Oil Tanker travelling through NH213, just about to reach "Mannarkkad" town. An M800 guy emerges from the bi-lane to join the road without looking anywhere. In order to save the M800 guy, who just joined right in front of him, the Oil tanker guy swerves to left and falls into the ditch. No serious damage, about an hour of traffic jam.

The sad part is, the M800 didn't even stop or face any street justice for creating this mess.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130907-14.06.55.jpg  

Old 10th September 2013, 00:32   #13982
Senior - BHPian

Re: Luxury Bus crashes into Innova killing 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
A Neeta luxury bus spun out of control, drove over a divider and hit an Innova car on the Nashik-Mumbai highway on Saturday evening, killing nine people and injuring 20.

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/18859...ay-9-left-dead
THAT is my worst nightmare - during my DEL-MAA drive last month, I was half-paranoid, expecting some heavy vehicle to jump the divider coming straight at my car. Sometimes doing your very best is just not enough.

RIP poor innova souls and feel sad for the bus driver. I think most of them are the most stressed drivers on our roads - handling these big buses among our traffic is no mean task!
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 10:34   #13983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWonder View Post
Oil Tanker travelling through NH213, just about to reach "Mannarkkad" town. An M800 guy emerges from the bi-lane to join the road without looking anywhere. In order to save the M800 guy, who just joined right in front of him, the Oil tanker guy swerves to left and falls into the ditch. No serious damage, about an hour of traffic jam.

The sad part is, the M800 didn't even stop or face any street justice for creating this mess.
Ouch! I can empathize with the tanker driver. Had been in a similar situation, but fortunately didn't end up in an accident. It was a tractor with a trailer that merged onto the NH-47 between Kanjikode and Walayar in my case - I was trying to overtake a bus, and had just veered to my right. To spice things up, a KL-8 registered Alto had squeezed through my LHS as well. It was a very close call.

Last edited by silversteed : 10th September 2013 at 10:36.
Old 10th September 2013, 10:50   #13984
Senior - BHPian

Re: Luxury Bus crashes into Innova killing 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

RIP poor innova souls and feel sad for the bus driver. I think most of them are the most stressed drivers on our roads - handling these big buses among our traffic is no mean task!
Recent developments have mentioned that the accident was entirely the Volvo driver's fault. He was presumably drunk and driving very rashly from the moment he started from Shirdi towards Mumbai. Several passengers complained to him to take it easy as he had caused a few near misses prior to this crash. The police have nabbed the driver and charged him with section 304 II causing death with knowledge (Not sure if the term is correct) but yes, bail is not a choice for him. May the deceased rest in peace.
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 14:38   #13985
BHPian

Hit and Run case on Elevated tollway to E'city

MODs, please move this to appropriate thread
================================================== ==============================
Received the following message from ECLIA:

Dear All,

Today at about 0800 hours – 0830 hours a white colour Tempo Traveller hit a lady walking on the Elevated Road, killing her on the spot. Madiwala Police have requested ELCIA to identify the Tempo Traveller since the employees of Electronics City were travelling in that vedhicle. The employees travelling in the Tempo Traveller may just give the Regn. No. of the vehicle without identifying themselves so that it will help the Police in the investigation. You are requested to kindly enquire with your employees and forward the Regn. No. of the Tempo Traveller to the undersigned.

With kind regards,

N.N.AIYAPPA,
Chief Security Officer
ELCIA
Mob : 9449010998

Last edited by nagvasireddy : 11th September 2013 at 14:41.
Old 11th September 2013, 14:46   #13986
BHPian

A gruesome accident. Read it in the newspaper this morning. What is up with these bus drivers.

Quote:
A five-year-old kindergarten girl died after being knocked down by the chartered school bus she had alighted from with her mother near Park Circus on Tuesday afternoon.
Witnesses told police that the bus started moving even as Kasira Yusuf got off with her mother Shabnam Begum on Jhowtala Road, grazing her before one of the rear wheels struck her head.

Old 11th September 2013, 15:51   #13987
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hit and Run case on Elevated tollway to E'city

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagvasireddy View Post
Today at about 0800 hours – 0830 hours a white colour Tempo Traveller hit a lady walking on the Elevated Road...
Why was someone walking on the elevated expressway? Aren't pedestrians and animal-drawn traffic banned on it? I just hope cops take this into account when settling the case.

That apart, I saw an idiot right now from my office window (my office is next to Bommanahalli bus stop) who stopped on the elevated expressway, think about something, and then reverse all the way back to the on-ramp near Silk Board . Traffic was sparse, so I guess he survived.
KiloAlpha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 16:25   #13988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Today at about 0800 hours – 0830 hours a white colour Tempo Traveller hit a lady walking on the Elevated Road, killing her on the spot.
This must be the same accident that bhpian schoudhury was talking about on FB. He wrote that apart from him and 2 other bikers no one among the many vehicles, stopped to help the lady. If at all some attention was given she might have survived it seems.

But yes, why was she walking there?

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 11th September 2013 at 16:26.
Old 11th September 2013, 16:49   #13989
BHPian

The burnt remains of the Swift car which went up in flames on Gachibowli flyover on Tuesday evening.Secunderabad MLA Jayasudha’s husband Nitin Kapoor and his assistant jumped out of the car noticing smoke and escaped unhurt

Sourced from the times of India Hyderabad edition.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pc0071100.jpg  

Old 11th September 2013, 16:58   #13990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today at about 0800 hours – 0830 hours a white colour Tempo Traveller hit a lady walking on the Elevated Road, killing her on the spot.
So that's what caused the traffic pile up between 8:30-9:00hrs this morning. Vehicles were moving at crawl speed. A little before the lay bye, I noticed mud spread on the on the road - on the left lane. Maybe it was blood?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image3591712784.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image3361214505.jpg
Old 11th September 2013, 17:02   #13991
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hit and Run case on Elevated tollway to E'city

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Why was someone walking on the elevated expressway? Aren't pedestrians and animal-drawn traffic banned on it? I just hope cops take this into account when settling the case.
Walking on the elevated expressway is a sure shot ticket to death. May be she was insane or trying to walk towards a safe 'lay by' in case of her vehicle breaking down.
Quote:
That apart, I saw an idiot right now from my office window (my office is next to Bommanahalli bus stop) who stopped on the elevated expressway, think about something, and then reverse all the way back to the on-ramp near Silk Board . Traffic was sparse, so I guess he survived.
May be he checked his pocket and realized, not having enough cash to pay the toll.
Old 11th September 2013, 17:41   #13992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Walking on the elevated expressway is a sure shot ticket to death. May be she was insane or trying to walk towards a safe 'lay by' in case of her vehicle breaking down.
God forbid,but the vehicle breaking down scenario can happen to all of us.What should we do in such a situation?
Regarding the accident,isn't the elevated expressway straight(ish)? It has a visibility of atleast a km.why didn't the driver see the lady? He must have been tailing someone and wanting to overtake.Trying to overtake suddenly without checking the empty lane may have caused the accident.
Old 11th September 2013, 18:08   #13993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Exactly my question. I wouldn't even blame the TT driver here. Yes , he should have stopped and informed the cops. It's like blame a train driver for running over someone walking on the tracks !

About morons on the BETL, I see bikers ride down the wrong side almost everyday. Today , just at the entry point from bommanhalli , there was a huge jam. Initially I thought this was one more accident , but later on saw that there was this Scorpio driver who was reversing on the RHS fast lane !!
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 18:51   #13994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Regarding the accident,isn't the elevated expressway straight(ish)? It has a visibility of atleast a km.why didn't the driver see the lady? He must have been tailing someone and wanting to overtake.Trying to overtake suddenly without checking the empty lane may have caused the accident.
Yes, the elevated road is straight. However, visibility might have been a problem. If you look at IronH4WK's photos, you'll see how dark it was. Then there is another point: we can see only the things that we are looking for. On such an elevated road, obviously no driver is looking for a pedestrian. A driver sticking to the limits would have enough time to react to such shocking surprises as pedestrians. However, a TT driver who is always in a hurry, will have little time to react. Then the wet and slippery road, and the handling of the vehicle itself make the matters much worse.

From Schoudhury's FB post, I figure the lady was elderly. She had little chance after being hit by such a big vehicle.
Old 11th September 2013, 21:42   #13995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I happened to watch a talk show in one of the regional news channel on the same day of strike called by private bus operators (9th Sep 2013). State private bus owner association president, one MLA and CITU general secretary had joined the discussion. What surprised me was bus owners association president was defending himself by quoting below examples
  • Not all KeSRTC buses are fitted with speed governors.
  • It is difficult for bus owners to spend 18 to 20K on a governor.
  • Governor's manufactured by Government recommended suppliers are not reliable and not lasting more than a year.
  • They admit in most of the cases it is impossible to cover the route distance with the time allotted by government if the speed it restricted to 60~70 KmPH.

Most Viewed