Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 15:43   #14011
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Is your i10 running on OEM tyres of stock size? If so, I would advise an upsize (175/70R13) and upgrade. Upsizing with better quality tyres makes a world of difference in braking stability and reduces braking distance. The i10 is badly under-tyred as it is.
Agree with this. i10 has given me scary moments specially over those white paint rumbler strips. It literally started to skid when I went over them at 60kmph.
Old 12th September 2013, 15:46   #14012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Agree that the limit is for a speed but the lane discipline dictates that you should not occupy the fast lane if you are going slower than the allowed speed limit.

The writer has mentioned that the car overtook him through his left which means he had an empty left lane and he was driving in the wrong lane. So he is equally responsible for the traffic violation of the other car since he was driving on the wrong lane and didn't leave enough room on his right for faster cars to overtake. That might also explain the zig-zag driving of the driver - there were many slow cars on the expressway, with some of them driving in the wrong lane while others were in the correct lane.

If the faster car had the right lane clear for overtaking, this accident might not have even happened! The cyclist was on the left side of the road and the other so-called 'slow' drivers forced a fast car to drive on the slower lane because they took up the fast lane and didn't follow lane discipline. I would put equal blame on the journalist who wrote that article for indirectly causing an accident with his slow driving on wrong lane.

If the driver's father is a good lawyer, the news article has enough points to get his son off the hook.
Sorry, I believe you have never been to the Expressway that is being referred to in the news article. FYI, it is minimum 3 lanes wide on each side of traffic, with each lane sufficiently wide for parking 2 buses side by side. The point where the accident occurred, i.e. Mahamaya Flyover is even wider, with an addtional lane to enable traffic merge easily. It is quite possible that the person who reported this article was driving in the middle lane, & not in right (fastest) lane.

Another FYI, the cyclist in general are careful on this road, & generally cross roads via dedicated service lanes. I believe the VW driver (young lad) knocked off the cyclist in left most lane, which the reporter should have clearly reported.

It is not uncommon to see drivers high on testosterone & a peg or few raiding the left most in their tanks rumbling over rocks & may be few (erstwhile) living beings on legs or 2 wheels.

How do I know.... I take the road daily, & have flat in Greater Noida.

BTW in India, it is also not uncommon for the rich to buy out justice for errant wards, so I believe the lawyer father will pay blood money to the victim's family & get his son out for more kills in short duration.
CARDEEP is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 16:16   #14013
BHPian

The Fault is on .. the Cyclist, the Car driver, and in-directly other vehicle drivers who were on the road at the time of accident.

Reason:
Cyclist for being on the Expressway and that too heading on the wrong side.
Car driver for speeding on the left most lane.
Other vehicle drivers who forced the speeding car driver to drive on the left most lane.

Please don't blame the car driver ALONE for this accident.
Old 12th September 2013, 17:15   #14014
BHPian

People who have never been on the Expressway will blame the so called slow driver ,assuming he was on the extreme right lane.

Like CARDEEP said. The place where the Accident took place has a additional lane. Noida-Gr.Noida expressway is very wide and can easily accommodate 5 buses standing parallel to each other.

The same expressway is very popular for drivers rear ending a parked vehicle on the service lane while zig-zagging and overtaking from the wrong side.

The entire Noida - Gr.Noida stretch has 2 roads running on each side of the expressway ,which are connected by subways. Still, one can see cyclists and pedestrians choosing the expressway to cross the road.

Expressways are made for high speed and to reduce travel time.Pedestrains, cyclists, two wheelers , tractors are not supposed to be taking a expressway. This stretch does not qualify to be called as a expressway.

Last edited by sinharishi : 12th September 2013 at 17:21. Reason: Grammar
Old 12th September 2013, 17:45   #14015
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
The trucker entered at right angles to the highway and blocked the entire highway leaving no room at all.
Now this situation would have been very tricky even with ABS, if your tyres are not able to grip the road surface. The i10 comes with weedy 155 section tyres and if your tyres are not in top shape in terms of tread depth etc... then presence of ABS could very well complicate matters. The ABS senses wheel lock up and decreases braking force on the wheel that is locked up and then reapplies the braking force so that tyre can grip the road. It will keep doing this till the skidding stops.

THe main advantage with ABS is that you do not lose the ability to steer the vehicle under panic braking. When you were skidding, you would have realised that the car does not respond to steering input as your wheels had locked up.
With ABS you can steer your vehicle out of harm's way. But in this case you really had nowhere to go as the truck had blocked all escape paths.

ABS is an important safety feature and I am not playing down its importance. But it is important to understand that it works in conjuction with your tyres and is after all a programmed device that has standard responses. No matter how many safety features you have in your car, nothing is more important than knowing the safe limits of your car. 100~ 110 in a fully loaded i10 is not unsafe on a four lane highway per se. But it is prudent to slow down to a controllable speed when approaching a truck lay bye or a Dhaba / Hotel entrance/ exits, break in median etc....
Old 12th September 2013, 17:55   #14016
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Other vehicle drivers who forced the speeding car driver to drive on the left most lane.
Nobody is ever forced to speed, or to take a wrong lane. It is their choice and their responsibility.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 19:56   #14017

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Sorry, I believe you have never been to the Expressway that is being referred to in the news article. FYI, it is minimum 3 lanes wide on each side of traffic, with each lane sufficiently wide for parking 2 buses side by side. The point where the accident occurred, i.e. Mahamaya Flyover is even wider, with an addtional lane to enable traffic merge easily. It is quite possible that the person who reported this article was driving in the middle lane, & not in right (fastest) lane.

Another FYI, the cyclist in general are careful on this road, & generally cross roads via dedicated service lanes. I believe the VW driver (young lad) knocked off the cyclist in left most lane, which the reporter should have clearly reported.

It is not uncommon to see drivers high on testosterone & a peg or few raiding the left most in their tanks rumbling over rocks & may be few (erstwhile) living beings on legs or 2 wheels.

How do I know.... I take the road daily, & have flat in Greater Noida.

BTW in India, it is also not uncommon for the rich to buy out justice for errant wards, so I believe the lawyer father will pay blood money to the victim's family & get his son out for more kills in short duration.
Actually i have a flat in Indirapuram and used to travel daily on expressway for meeting clients. If you had read the article, you might have noticed that the journalist has mentioned that the lad tried to squeeze between two cars so he cant be at the left most lane.

Another FYI for your benefit, the journalist mentioned that they were approaching the mahamaya flyover, so the accident could not have happened on it.

Point is instead of blaming the driver (who i do agree, should have slowed down to manageable speed owning that he was driving in India) the majority of blame lies with the cyclist who crossed the road that's too by driving on the wrong side. Hope i have made myself clear for further explanation lets take it to pm route
Old 12th September 2013, 20:51   #14018
BHPian

Changaramkulam accident : Driver had caused 2001 Pookiparmapa bus mishap too
Quote:
Edappal: The bus driver who was taken into custody when the bus he was driving hit a scooter killing a person, is the same driver who drove the bus which met with a mishap in Pookiparampa, killing 44 and injuring 24 on March 11, 2001. His license was cancelled after the 2001 accident and now he presented a license obtained from Karnataka.
http://www.mathrubhumi.com/english/story.php?id=139756

Our system has so much holes in it that it is actually a sieve.

Last edited by darklord : 12th September 2013 at 20:53.
darklord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 21:03   #14019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docaxe View Post
In my humble opinion I think driving a car without ABS is like riding a bike without helmet. I think govt should make ABS compulsory on all vehicles on road.
IMO, a car without ABS is equal to riding a bike without ABS since both comes down to affordability and awareness. Apache is the only affordable ABS equipped bike for the masses.
Riding a bike without a helmet is like driving without buckling up.
Yes, ABS should be made mandatory but that is a long way off in India.

Regards
Old 12th September 2013, 21:04   #14020
Senior - BHPian

A bus belonging to Oakridge International School, Sarjapur road skidded off the road last morning on Chandapura - Dommasandra road. There is a sharp turn at that place which might be the cause. Since the bus was heading in the opposite direction of the school, I assume there were no children. I have observed that most of the school buses in that area drive sedately except for some two or three.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imag0442.jpg

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 12th September 2013 at 21:06.
Old 12th September 2013, 21:23   #14021
Senior - BHPian

Dear Mates, good evening, going by the account of the accident its clearly evident as to who was at fault. Its the car (Vento). On a precise note, would like to point out that under no circumstance be it a highway, flyover or a normal 4-6 lane main road does the driver of a vehicle is permitted for rash driving. What the boy did was utterly wrong and corrective action taken is best. What ever may be the background of the car driver he in no ways is to be treated with any privledge and due judicial/legal actions need to be metted out considering the magnitude of the accident.

Coming to the cyclist, basic fault driving at wrong direction; it is evident in many parts of noida/ncr to see such sights and as suggested they should be banned on highways just like DND has done. Still i say the bigger mistake is on the part of the car driver because in any case if a rickshaw/cycle comes in wrong direction still the speed has to be in control no matter what are the counter arguments in place.

Lastly, the future of the car driver, making inference based on the concepts and ideologies in such case is wrong because we here at forum are not lawyers and judges who can for-see the trial and arguments so staying on topic i.e discussing the reasons for this accident is the right thing and not delivering the judgement.

thanks

AD
Old 12th September 2013, 22:17   #14022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishabh.asthana View Post
Actually i have a flat in Indirapuram and used to travel daily on expressway for meeting clients. If you had read the article, you might have noticed that the journalist has mentioned that the lad tried to squeeze between two cars so he cant be at the left most lane.

Another FYI for your benefit, the journalist mentioned that they were approaching the mahamaya flyover, so the accident could not have happened on it.

Point is instead of blaming the driver (who i do agree, should have slowed down to manageable speed owning that he was driving in India) the majority of blame lies with the cyclist who crossed the road that's too by driving on the wrong side. Hope i have made myself clear for further explanation lets take it to pm route
In India, it is a rule that the bigger vehicle which is to blame for accident, whomsoever is the errant.

BTW the whole of expressway is big enough for 3 cars to travel parallel, & yet have enough space for another 3 to overtake simultaneously with ease. Hope you agree to this, so unless you or me have witnessed the accident, the exact location or position is quite difficult to judge... & we may agree to disagree indefinitely.

I know that the cyclist is more to blame (being on the wrong side), but that doesn't mean the people who have powerful engines/ & bigger cars can drive like erstwhile rulers of princely states. In fact, their responsibility & liability increases, & that what that young chap belonging to affluent family could not realize (throwing names later when caught), & should be punished for his arrogance IMO.
Old 12th September 2013, 22:21   #14023
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
A bus belonging to Oakridge International School, Sarjapur road skidded off the road last morning on Chandapura - Dommasandra road. There is a sharp turn at that place which might be the cause. Since the bus was heading in the opposite direction of the school, I assume there were no children. I have observed that most of the school buses in that area drive sedately except for some two or three.
Specifically Oak-ridge International School Bus drivers are very very Bad on roads. They think they are driving on race track in F1. Called school may be 6-8 months back for similar issue, on numbers noted from the bus itself, but it was simply pathetic. They almost said that is how one should drive in Bangalore
Old 13th September 2013, 07:54   #14024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
In India, it is a rule that the bigger vehicle which is to blame for accident, whomsoever is the errant.

BTW the whole of expressway is big enough for 3 cars to travel parallel, & yet have enough space for another 3 to overtake simultaneously with ease.

I know that the cyclist is more to blame (being on the wrong side), but that doesn't mean the people who have powerful engines/ & bigger cars can drive like erstwhile rulers of princely states. In fact, their responsibility & liability increases, & that what that young chap belonging to affluent family could not realize (throwing names later when caught), & should be punished for his arrogance.
Dear mate, good morning, i see a slight contradiction in your post. In the first line you seem to have the common view as what happens with big vehicles at large in mishaps. Moving on, next you are trying to accuse the car (which though is true) of overspeeding by refering to the size of the highway and then again a bit contradicting upon the mistakes of the driver and cyclist as to who clearly was at fault. So, before ruling out any inference we should be knowing that none of us are aware of the actual parameters of the accident.

thanks

AD
Old 13th September 2013, 09:26   #14025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docaxe View Post
In my humble opinion I think driving a car without ABS is like riding a bike without helmet. I think govt should make ABS compulsory on all vehicles on road.
Though i agree about ABS being important,but you cannot compare it to a helmet.I have 2 vehicles with ABS+EBD and the works,and two without.And overtime i have noticed If we drive at legal speeds,45-55km/hr within city and ~90km/hr on highways,a lot of accidents can be avoided even in vehicles without ABS.Remember; in 98% of the cases its the nut behind the wheel that causes accidents.
akshay4587 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks