Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2013, 09:27   #14056
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Opened the car door to spit! I guess the car did not have power window and the driver was too lazy to open it.

Strange concidence; I almost collided with an oncoming Sumo taxi when its driver opened the door wide on a narrow village road yesterday evening. I have no clue what he was trying. Fortunately, we both were slow, so I had enough time to swerve to the left.
Old 17th September 2013, 09:44   #14057
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Opened the car door to spit! I guess the car did not have power window and the driver was too lazy to open it.
Well, we can't be sure. I have seen drivers do this antic on a variety of cars - hatchbacks, MUVs, SUVs! Power windows or not, its like a habit now. Most times though, on a signal. Can't imagine someone doing this circus on a highway!
Old 17th September 2013, 09:54   #14058
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a badly injured Fortuner on the Rajkot-Ahmedabad highway yesterday. The road has a sharp curve at that spot even I felt a little wary negotiating it in my Altis. The Fortuner driver must have lost control at the curve and ended up on the roadside. The roof had given in but by the looks of it there might have been some chance of survival if the occupants had seat belts on. Sorry couldn't click any pics.

Off late the number of accidents involving these SUVs have increased. People need to understand the limitations of an SUV.
Old 17th September 2013, 10:52   #14059
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Well, we can't be sure. I have seen drivers do this antic on a variety of cars - hatchbacks, MUVs, SUVs! Power windows or not, its like a habit now. Most times though, on a signal. Can't imagine someone doing this circus on a highway!
I've seen this many times, especially with people who chew tobacco.
Its not because the car didn't have power windows or the driver being lazy, but this is because the driver doesn't want his car doors to get dirty when he spits.
Roads are not his personal property and need not be kept clean you see

But yes, I've seen this when the vehicle is stopped at signals or while in slow moving city traffic. I will call that Stupidity/bad habit, but on a highway, there are no words.

Now imagine his situation; he has murdered 7 people and the ghosts of this incident will haunt him forever! He will wish he had also died in the accident.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 17th September 2013 at 10:53.
Old 17th September 2013, 11:36   #14060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I've seen this many times, especially with people who chew tobacco.
Its not because the car didn't have power windows or the driver being lazy, but this is because the driver doesn't want his car doors to get dirty when he spits.
Roads are not his personal property and need not be kept clean you see.
Dear mate, good morning, yesterday afternoon, my driver did the same thing, opened the door to spit and a major collision was averted as a school bus had just over-taken from back and had reached to the rear right passenger door. Luckily the school bus drivers are bound to an extent to drive safe so he did apply brakes in time as speed was too not much. If it would have hit my car i dont know what could have happened. Then next what followed was i apologized to bus driver and gave a tight slap to my driver. After reaching home i threw him off the job and gave him a sound hearing.

thanks

AD
Old 17th September 2013, 11:38   #14061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spitting is just one use-case; others are (a) stretching legs, (b) for better view during reversing, (c) clearing nose, (d) sundry other personal hygiene activities.

In this case, the chap has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge that his momentary lapse obliterated his entire family.
Old 17th September 2013, 12:24   #14062
BHPian

Quote:
Heights of stupidity!! Sad that the family had to pay the price for one man's idiotic actions.

Source - http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...war-three-kids
This seriously is height of stupidity. I think these spitters never really studied at all, or at least some basic biology during school days to understand the use of saliva in Human body. Why can't it be kept inside the body for the purpose it is designed. The moron who killed (Read murdered) 7 family members, should now understand the importance of keeping his own saliva inside the body instead of decorating your own surroundings with it.

Unless he was chewing Tobacco;
If it all it was tobacco The harms of tobacco should also include that
" Tobacco kills, not only you; but your family members (Kills directly: & Not by the sufferings of your travel to another world) & Kills others as well"

The famous tag line "Don't drink & drive" should be upgraded to a newer verion " Don't CHEW & drive".

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 17th September 2013 at 12:27.
Old 17th September 2013, 13:58   #14063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No saar, they open the door to spit because it does not stain their doors.
Old 17th September 2013, 14:40   #14064
BHPian

Quote:
Heights of stupidity!! Sad that the family had to pay the price for one man's idiotic actions.
]
I have seen this many times. Mostly cabs but even some high end luxury car owners have this habit. Some do it repeatedly and as often as once every minute. My mother's white corolla had pan stains the other day on the front bumper. I know this is why it's there, some idiot must have spit out and it flew towards the bumper.

It is a disgusting habit apart from the fact that it's dangerous. This guy paid the ultimate price. I don't really understand despite the fines etc why people continue to spit in public areas. They're so careful not to dirty their cars but have no regard for the paint job on the road or other vehicles.
Old 17th September 2013, 14:45   #14065
Senior - BHPian

There is a rule in North Korea called "guilty by association". If anyone is convicted of a crime, her/his family is also automatically convicted and is punished, irrespective of whether they were aware of criminal's activities or not.

But the difference here is, the spitter managed to get a clean chit while his family had to pay the ultimate price. I guess there is no punishment worse for him, than to live with the thought of having murdered his family due to his stupidity. If the driver is not remorseful, then it only means that he is mentally unstable.

Now I understand why many drivers do not wear seatbelts or lock their cars from inside. So that they can easily jump to safety and leave their passengers to meet their fates, at the slightest hint of an impending danger!
Old 17th September 2013, 19:48   #14066
BHPian

I come across patients involved in RTAs who are taken for a ride by some advocates.

It should be known that for conducting cases in any court, you need the original bills of hospital expenses, Treatment Certificate, Wound Certificate, Discharge Summary and all the medicine bills too. Hospitals issue original bills only once and the second printouts clearly show "DUPLICATE".

The patients handover the original bills to the advocate which in 90% cases get misplaced. So its always better to give only a copy of the bills to the advocate and retain the original with you till its needed to be submitted before the Court.
sharoncr_17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 03:51   #14067
Distinguished - BHPian

Karnataka minister, staff jump into lake, saves 6 from a sinking car.

Was going through the Time of India in my mobile and came across this article. Thought its really worth sharing over here. I salute the minister and his men for there great job. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/22671954.cms
Samba is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 07:34   #14068
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Karnataka minister, staff jump into lake, saves 6 from a sinking car.

Was going through the Time of India in my mobile and came across this article. Thought its really worth sharing over here. I salute the minister and his men for there great job. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/22671954.cms
Hats off to the minister!

Quote:
"I had started at 4am from Karkala. On reaching the tank bund, the steering locked, and the car plunged into the lake." Water began gushing in through an open window. "I made best efforts to open the door and rescue others. But I panicked and fell unconscious," Uday told TOI.
By the way, is there a chance of steering getting locked while the car in motion? If so, what could be the cause?
Old 18th September 2013, 11:01   #14069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
By the way, is there a chance of steering getting locked while the car in motion? If so, what could be the cause?
Perfectly possible. There is a thread about Figo TDCi having this issue with shutdown while down shifting of gears! i.e. Engine shut while down shifting, thus making HPS non-working!

Steering lock can happen if EPS or HPS module stopped/can not work! Basically making steering difficult job. I doubt in this case at the speed in curves driver could able to judge correctly if steering is locked or really difficult to steer.
RaguHolla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 11:31   #14070
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to the minister. Few days back Ramya had saved a hit and run accident victim after hearing someone crying for help. Good representatives.

Most Viewed