Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:06   #1426
BHPian

The Southern Railways have built an overbridge in this particular area and closed the earlier road which went on the railway line.

But idiots like the ones in this Palio still cross the railway track illegaly by removing the barricades.

What do you expect, he should be sent straight to jail.
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:09   #1427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
The Southern Railways have built an overbridge in this particular area and closed the earlier road which went on the railway line.

But idiots like the ones in this Palio still cross the railway track illegaly by removing the barricades.

Fuel saving tactics ? Or maybe time saving!

Not sure about the jail funda, but guess the government should take adequate steps regarding unmanned crossings, atleast inside the city.
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:36   #1428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
...Not sure about the jail funda, but guess the government should take adequate steps regarding unmanned crossings, atleast inside the city.
Reckon they, the Gov, did their part in building an over-bridge and also placing a fencing, which our's truly have removed.
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:08   #1429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post

Yes, They Should BE...

Quote:
Not sure about the jail funda, but guess the government should take adequate steps regarding unmanned crossings, atleast inside the city.
The Railway Act 1989 does provide for the same.. Here is an excerpt of a Mail send by a friend of mine (who also happens to be a retired Railway official):

""Unauthorised crossing of the railway track is an offence under Section 147(tresspass) and Sections 151-154 (causing obstruction/placing objects on the track/sabotage) of the Railways Act,1989,

The maximum penalty prescribed under this act is death.""

AND, the said location is not an "Unmanned Level Crossing" according to railway records. The said crossing has been closed and all users (including vehicles and pedestrians) are required to use the Road-Over Bridge only. Any body using the said "level" crossing will be treated as a trespasser.

So, technically, the railways has all rights to press for a charge against the said vehicle owner.

Although the railways erect barriers (old rails are used for the same), people manage to find a way to cross the barrier. If nothing works, they simply remove the railings and restore the place back to normalcy. I strongly feel that the railways should remove all the leveling/road work done and they should restore normal ballasting at the place.
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:57   #1430
Senior - BHPian

The couple were VERY lucky to escape this accident. By the look of the car doesn't seems anyone could have escaped.
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:26   #1431
BHPian

The Deccan herald reports that the couple on Palio lost some electronics and bags from the car. If so, it serves them right.
Old 22nd January 2009, 18:26   #1432
BHPian

Just a few days back I read a really good article on road accident in India. There I came to know that about I lakh deaths have occured in 2007 in India due to road accident. It was something very informative on Latest Car | Automobile Articles in India | Car, Automobile Industry Articles? that now needs a serious consideration.
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:42   #1433
Senior - BHPian

That Palio served its masters by protecting them from a train hit. Kudos to FIAT!! I hope FIAT just does the customer service in the same lines.

What I find in India is that we people do not take life seriously. Watch any other good country and they would value their life as much as others.
So, accidents here are more by human mistake rather an error!!!
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:09   #1434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
What I find in India is that we people do not take life seriously. Watch any other good country and they would value their life as much as others.
So, accidents here are more by human mistake rather an error!!!
I'd second this. The fact that 95% of the cars on road have no basic safety mechanisms supports the fact! Its time govt made safety norms like ABS/Airbags compulsory!
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:27   #1435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Its time govt made safety norms like ABS/Airbags compulsory!
Regardless of any number of laws, safety equipments, and top of the line gadgets, if the common man lacks common sense, then God save us all. :(
Old 23rd January 2009, 13:05   #1436
Senior - BHPian

My question - Can the Palio owner claim insurance? I guess, not possible?
Old 23rd January 2009, 16:09   #1437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
My question - Can the Palio owner claim insurance? I guess, not possible?
In India if you commit a crime, the insurance company will not pay money but still I think this guy should try with insurance company.
Old 23rd January 2009, 16:22   #1438
BHPian

Read in today's newpaper that the railway police has loged two cases against the Palio owner but not arrested him on humanitarian grounds as his wife is in hospital and he has the accident trauma so effectively on bail. Will take action once things are fine with him and his wife.
Old 23rd January 2009, 16:26   #1439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
... but still I think this guy should try with insurance company.
... and get kicked out for that.

He may do whatever he wants, but if the insurance ever pays, man, that would be news! And, this is a total loss.
Old 23rd January 2009, 21:43   #1440
Senior - BHPian

In today's TOI Bangalore edition I read that the Palio driver (Pinchu) is not ready to accept his mistake. He is blaming the railways for not putting a board/signal there.
How ridiculous one can be?
You don't need any signal to see a BIG train coming straight at you. He must be thankful that he and his wife are alive. I am not sure if he has learned from his mistake either.

Most Viewed