Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2009, 22:20   #1441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
My question - Can the Palio owner claim insurance? I guess, not possible?
i dont think there is any insurance against stupidity.
Old 23rd January 2009, 22:50   #1442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanopano View Post
Just a few days back I read a really good article on road accident in India. There I came to know that about I lakh deaths have occured in 2007 in India due to road accident. It was something very informative on Latest Car | Automobile Articles in India | Car, Automobile Industry Articles? that now needs a serious consideration.

Correct every year more people die in road accidents in India than in any war India has taken part in.
Old 24th January 2009, 00:05   #1443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The Railway Act 1989 does provide for the same.. Here is an excerpt of a Mail send by a friend of mine (who also happens to be a retired Railway official):

""Unauthorised crossing of the railway track is an offence under Section 147(tresspass) and Sections 151-154 (causing obstruction/placing objects on the track/sabotage) of the Railways Act,1989,

The maximum penalty prescribed under this act is death.
""
death by the Train itself
Old 24th January 2009, 05:34   #1444
Senior - BHPian

Did I see that palio thing right? Hit by a train, dragged for some distance and the occupants are alive?? Superb testament to build quality which I surely doubt in my swift - someone I know lost a family member when a Swift was slammed by a mini truck from the side.
Old 25th January 2009, 06:21   #1445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Did I see that palio thing right? Hit by a train, dragged for some distance and the occupants are alive?? Superb testament to build quality which I surely doubt in my swift - someone I know lost a family member when a Swift was slammed by a mini truck from the side.
Do you honestly think that a Palio can withstand an onslaught by a train at some speed? Look at some youtube vidoes to see what remains of a car when hit at high speed by a train.

From the "AFTER" pics of the car, and the fact that the passenger came out alive, it is evident that the train was at a pedestrian speed and could stop immediately. Do not form conclusions to suit your theories. Can be dangerous, especially if you develop this kind of false sense of security about a car.

It is appalling that, on a forum like t-BHP, members come to conclusion(that too repeatedly) about the build quality of a car(which they probably like and admire) without knowing the crucial details of the accident, just based on a picture. They compare it to a different accident too, to further strengthen their theory

P.S> In no way am I saying that Swift is a better build car than Palio or vice versa. That is beyond the point I am making. I am just commenting on a behaviour that I am now seeing regularly on this thread. Palio lovers, please spare me.
kuttapan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2009, 03:20   #1446
Team-BHP Support

motorbike accident.

Last week, a distant cousin of mine and his fiancee died in a horrific motorcycle accident, somewhere in Kalyan / Thane.

I'm not sure about the exact details but this is what I heard from my parents and relatives.

Around 8:00 / 9:00am, he was going to drop her off, presumably at work.

He tried to overtake a trailer from the left. The bike's front wheel went into a ditch / pot hole and both the rider and pillion were thrown under the trailer.

He was crushed beyond recognition under the wheels and died on the spot. They could only identify him by the documents he carried.

The girl suffered, on the verge of life and death on the way to the hospital where she died - alone.

The trailer driver didn't notice anything as all of this happened in his blind spot. He was flagged down by people - other drivers / pedestrians.

The police somehow got in touch with the boy's uncle and notified him.

A terrible shock and loss to both families.
The boy (27 years old), whom I'd met only a couple of times many years ago, was a friendly, helpful and decent chap. His parents and elder brother mourn him now. The girl (same age), is mourned by her family.
Old 27th January 2009, 08:14   #1447
Senior - BHPian

My heartfelt condolences to their families.
I am deeply shocked at this incidence, also I am now even more scared to ride a motorcycle in our country.
The trailers and four wheelers even if moving slow wont move down to left lane and motorcyclists have to undertake them, usually at great risk. I myself end up in this situation daily more than once. Sometimes my friends tell me that if my bag got struck in truck/bus's bumper, I would come under the vehicle,but there is no other option.

Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid these situation.
Old 27th January 2009, 11:28   #1448
Senior - BHPian

Really really sad!
May God give strength to the family members in times like this. My heart felt condolences.

I too met with an accident 14 years back and since that day I have been hell scared to ride a bike especially in the metros where the traffic is very unruly.
Old 27th January 2009, 12:59   #1449
BHPian

feel so sad for both the families!!
such a tragic accident and proves again how unsafe our roads are for 2 wheelers. with traffic sense going from bad to worse i am scared to ride a bike now.
Old 27th January 2009, 13:37   #1450
BHPian

bangalore ring road

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use external picture hosts such as photobucket, imageshack etc. We advise you to read our board rules carefully, before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 28th January 2009 at 17:32.
Old 27th January 2009, 15:35   #1451
Senior - BHPian

I just hope that the green thing under the truck is not a vehicle!!!
Old 27th January 2009, 16:23   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Do you honestly think that a Palio can withstand an onslaught by a train at some speed? Look at some Youtube vidoes to see what remains of a car when hit at high speed by a train.

From the "AFTER" pics of the car, and the fact that the passenger came out alive, it is evident that the train was at a pedestrian speed and could stop immediately. Do not form conclusions to suit your theories. Can be dangerous, especially if you develop this kind of false sense of security about a car.

It is appalling that, on a forum like t-BHP, members come to conclusion(that too repeatedly) about the build quality of a car(which they probably like and admire) without knowing the crucial details of the accident, just based on a picture. They compare it to a different accident too, to further strengthen their theory

P.S> In no way am I saying that Swift is a better build car than Palio or vice versa. That is beyond the point I am making. I am just commenting on a behaviour that I am now seeing regularly on this thread. Palio lovers, please spare me.
Dont jump the gun.. he just said the palio was hit by a train with no mention of the speed. Even if the train was slowing down, I am sure it must be doing around 40 kmph since it took around 200 meters to come to a complete halt.
Old 27th January 2009, 16:43   #1453
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the train hitting Palio incidence, I seriously think that it was luck and not Palio that saved occupants. IMO, no car can take the impact from train at higher than speeds of lets say 30kmph. The energy associated with train as moving object is unbelieveable and very, very high. And those trains are very rigid structure as compared to car's body that is designed to absorb the energy. Also the angle of hit is ciritical for the damage it does.
No car in the world is designed to take these hits, be it the little M800 or Hummer. The speed in this case must be very less and we can see that palio is yet on wheels. In reality if the trian hits the car at reasonable speeds, the car will be difficult to even identify.
In US also at unmanned rail crossing many lives are lost. I dont remember exactly where, but somewhere I saw a brand new Dodge Ram pickup truck was parked along the rails and was rammed by the train. The hood of Dodge was coming in path of train. The Dodge was badly damaged.
Now even if the car is great and is able to protect the occupants physically, I doubt that human body's internal organs can withstand such high energy impact.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 27th January 2009 at 16:45.
Old 27th January 2009, 17:42   #1454
BHPian

Honestly speaking, the Palio remains looks bad, but not as bad as one would expect to.It was a train that hit the car and it is any day worse than anyother automobile on the road. Do not take any credit from the Car's build quality itself.It did hold better and saved the occupants.Do you guys want to call this as a mere luck in the occupants favour?
Old 27th January 2009, 17:49   #1455
Senior - BHPian

Talking about the train, i remember seeing the wreck of a lorry which was hit by a train, after looking at it realised that nothing can survive if it comes in front of the speeding train.... so this palio guy was LUCKY! that the train was not at good speed.

Most Viewed