Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 21:22   #1831
BHPian

Oh My god, thats really scary. Had it been a car, I think it would have ended up in the river.
Old 12th March 2009, 21:33   #1832
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys,

Saw this when I was walking back from a haircut.
Happened in January.
According to witnesses, the Honda Accord was taking a turn from the main road into a lane (on the other side) and the Esteem was going straight and hit it. Both were at speed according to onlookers. The Accord seems totaled and the Esteem was a government vehicle. I don't think anyone got injured though as I spotted the driver of the Accord taking out a pouch from the glove box which I think contained the R.C. book.
However, looking at the scene, I think the Accord driver nosed out a bit and was waiting for an opening when he got hit, causing his car to hit the divider on the other side. If he was in motion, the car should in theory spin out of control and the doors should have been damaged as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image245.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image246.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image247.jpg  

Last edited by lamborghini : 12th March 2009 at 21:35.
Old 12th March 2009, 22:13   #1833
BHPian

Man, must have been some impact!!
Old 13th March 2009, 09:36   #1834
BHPian

wheat lorry hits divider

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2009 at 13:40. Reason: Please see note in post asap.
Old 13th March 2009, 11:07   #1835
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprising that the accord can be damaged so much due to an impact with an esteem!
Old 13th March 2009, 11:28   #1836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Surprising that the accord can be damaged so much due to an impact with an esteem!
Head on right? Even the best of the best can get severely damaged, but then the very safe cars would take the damage on the body without impacting the passenger cabin, If am not wrong..
Old 13th March 2009, 11:43   #1837
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Head on right? Even the best of the best can get severely damaged, but then the very safe cars would take the damage on the body without impacting the passenger cabin, If am not wrong..
Correct. But the esteem seems to have lesser/equal damage compared to the accord! Crumple zones better in accord i guess.
Old 13th March 2009, 15:42   #1838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Honda has a very light body and i dont think it is strong.
I rem 5-6 years back my uncles OHC struck a Zen from back and i witnessed it as i was behind OHC. OHC was smashed from front,bumper down,radiator gone and what not. Zen had a scratch on bumper,driver of zen smiled and walked away.
So this is no surprise for me and ya Esteem is a maruti car as well
Old 13th March 2009, 16:00   #1839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Honda has a very light body and i dont think it is strong.
I rem 5-6 years back my uncles OHC struck a Zen from back and i witnessed it as i was behind OHC. OHC was smashed from front,bumper down,radiator gone and what not. Zen had a scratch on bumper,driver of zen smiled and walked away.
So this is no surprise for me and ya Esteem is a maruti car as well
Now, that really scares me!
Old 13th March 2009, 19:17   #1840
Senior - BHPian

For that Esteem vs. Accord crash, I think the government car i.e. the Maruti Esteem was at the wrong side.
Now looking at the crash, the Esteem must have suffered more damage but is not the case and this is surprising. The accord is a heavier and more modern design as compared to Esteem.

Now about crumple zones, both have them. The crumple zones are there to absorb energy and the passenger cabin is made as rigid as possible to avoid any intrusion into the cabin.
By all means the Accord had softer front end. This implies that if Accord hits a stronger object like Innova ( that is again stronger than Esteem ), then Accord's cabin integrity can be questioned.
Old 13th March 2009, 23:49   #1841
Distinguished - BHPian

In the newspapers today: Students escape death on e-way- Hindustan Times

Quote:
Barely four days after a 19-year old boy lost his life in a car accident on the Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway, five Class XII boys had a close brush with death when their Mahindra Scorpio rammed into cement bollards and toppled over a number of times on Thursday.

The driver lost his balance when a stationary crane moved all of a sudden. All the five students aged 17-18 and the driver suffered injuries. They were rushed to a nearby private hospital in DLF City.
Later one of the students and the driver were moved to a hospital in Delhi. All the teens are students of Mayo College, Ajmer, and were on a leisure trip to Ambience Mall in Gurgaon.
Officials of DSC Limited claimed that the scorpio rammed into the bollards after one of the tyres of the vehicle burst. The accident took place on the service lane near Atlas Chowk of the Expressway.
“As our car reached near an under-construction foot over bridge, the driver noticed an abrupt movement of a crane from the left hand side and it quickly turned right to save the vehicle from ramming into it and hit the cement bollards. But what happened afterwards I do not know, as it was very scary. When I regained my consciousness, I found myself in a badly damaged Scorpio,” said Aditya, who was bleeding from his nose.
His friend Nameesh also suffered some bruises on his face and other body parts. However, his friend Karan Kumar who was sitting by the side of the driver as well as driver Ramesh were not so lucky and suffered serious injuries. The duo was rushed to a hospital in DLF Phase II.
Karan’s father Kapil Kumar said his son had a deep cut on his back and he received four stitches on the wound.
“All the boys had set off in the Scorpio in the morning from Delhi. I am still to find out how it happened but I am happy that all the boys are safe,” he added.
Doctors said the driver had suffered a number of fractures on his body.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-aaaa.jpg  

Old 14th March 2009, 08:52   #1842
Senior - BHPian

WOWOWOWOW! Look at the way the vehicle has caved in! If these people were traveling in any other car, I am sure they would have been history!
Old 14th March 2009, 10:30   #1843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

saw this car on thursday, couldnt take pic.
Old 14th March 2009, 12:17   #1844
Distinguished - BHPian

No, Looking at the Pictures and the scene, I think the Accord guy was at fault. Given that there is a break in the divider out there for people to take turns into a lane on the other side, I think the Honda was trying to take the turn, but went too ahead, causing the Esteem to hit his left hand side, the momentum of which caused the driver to hit the right hand side on the divider.
The Esteem has a badly damaged front, whereas the Honda is more damaged on the sides.
Here's what I am trying to say. Excuse the poor picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-untitled.jpg  

Old 14th March 2009, 15:22   #1845
Senior - BHPian

first linea accident pic i guess hehe ..... clicked it in the service center and usual fiat story bonnet was not available
Attached Images

Most Viewed