Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2009, 15:31   #1921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Trust me i went through the same. I argued with him that it was only once and that he is being too harsh.

His reply, every time i argue the key stays with him for another month. 6 months the bike is not ridden it gets sold. And i knew he was not bluffing.

I needed the bike to carry my cricket kit to practise everyday and to get to college too.

When we got the bike home for the first time and he handed me the keys, he had politely pointed to the RC book to show his name on it. He asked me to remember that always.
Sorry to say, but it seems your aren't a born rebel. And you said it - you need it for college, etc. I'd just have remained at home for as long as it takes and probably create a civil war. He'd have begged me to take the keys back & get the hell out... Or mebbe I'd have found some other way... no dearth of them...

He did try such stuff... but wised up eventually, as they always went awry. I'm so glad he was wise enuf to never tell me to ride on footpaths. Today, because of him others are safe!
Old 24th March 2009, 15:48   #1922
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Sorry to say, but it seems your aren't a born rebel.
Rebel against my own parents? Sorry man.

What's a born rebel anyway?

Quote:
And you said it - you need it for college, etc. I'd just have remained at home for as long as it takes and probably create a civil war.
I used to go for cricket practise at dawn and get to college 30 kms away by 8 am. Reach back and go for practice again by 4 pm after college got over at 2.

Quote:
He'd have begged me to take the keys back & get the hell out... Or mebbe I'd have found some other way... no dearth of them...
Make my father beg.. I am hoping this is light hearted but then...

Quote:
He did try such stuff... but wised up eventually, as they always went awry. I'm so glad he was wise enuf to never tell me to ride on footpaths. Today, because of him others are safe!
Yeah probably. You have kids?
Old 24th March 2009, 15:52   #1923
Senior - BHPian

^^^Kids?!?! Nopes man... I don't even have a wifey yet!
Old 24th March 2009, 15:57   #1924
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Kids?!?! Nopes man... I don't even have a wifey yet!
Ahh... now i know. Keep the spirit rebel.

Maybe your dad knows better, thats why he isnt giving you any advice and letting you be happy being a "rebel"

You have a very smart dad, do say hi to him from my end.
Old 24th March 2009, 15:57   #1925
Senior - BHPian

Get over with it guys! Any more pics please. Not that I desperately need one..that would be horrible on my part.
Old 25th March 2009, 05:25   #1926
abk
BHPian

My friend's accident on NH1 near Karnal

Have been checking this thread out regularly. Little foresight did I have all this while until I spoke to my friend over the weekend to hear about her accident. More details (narrating based on what I have been told):
My friend (it is her car) and her colleague (he was at the wheels) were driving to Chandigarh from Delhi last week when somewhere around Karnal they met with this tragedy. They were cruising at around 100kmph on the rightmost lane with a truck up ahead on the next lane to their left. As they got closer to the truck, the truck without indicating whatsoever swerved to the right to take a U turn. My friend and her colleague immediately knew the inevitability. Her colleague slammed the brake but they were too precariously close to the truck which by now was negotiating the U turn. They rammed hard into the truck. My friend reckons they were anywhere between 50-80kmph when then hit the truck.

Fortunately, both the occupants in the car have been saved for their lives. They suffered injuries both external and internal. My friend has been complaining of lot of internal pains around the areas pulled by the sharp forces of the seat belt. In fact the part of the seat belt that went around her waist had that part of her clothing cut into two along the length of the belt because of the intense retractive forces & friction against the clothes!

After being in shock and daze for a moment or two they pulled themselves out of the car without any passerby or by watchers volunteering to help. They were calm yet brave to proceed to the nearest hospital on their own being left to fend for themselves until my friend's folks arranged help and medical attention via contacts.

Question for the forum readers:
  1. The car involved in this tragedy is a Santro. Apparently, no skid marks were left on the road. Can be assumed the car did not skid. Whether or not the brakes were slammed hard is unknown. Under these circumstances would it be prudent to use the handbrakes instead, notwithstanding that all actions under such emergencies happen more via instincts than by conscious decisions?
  2. The car seemed to have absorbed the shock very well and held itself up firmly under the severe impact of collision forces. However, the odometer cover glass/plastic was shattered and flew off like sharpnels causing injuries. Is there any standard safety material for making odometer and other meter covers?
  3. Both the car occupants had their seat belts on. Surely, the seat belts must have been one of the most significant factors for them to be breathing and living again. However, the intense retractive forces of seat belt SEEM to have caused them internal tissue ruptures. Is this the side effect of wearing a seat belt in moderate to high speed (~50kmph during collision) frontal collisions?
Your views & theories are welcome.

I am attaching pictures of the car post accident. Insurance agent has assessed the damages at approx 2.5Lacs whilst the insured value of the car was close to 3 lacs.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00151.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00154.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00157.jpg  

Last edited by abk : 25th March 2009 at 05:35.
Old 25th March 2009, 05:50   #1927
Senior - BHPian

Thats a bad one
and what to say about these morons on road,they shouldnt be allowed to drive.
Thank god both of them are safe.
and it looks like that driver hit the windshield.The car might be a total write off.
Old 25th March 2009, 06:01   #1928
Senior - BHPian

thats one bad accident.glad your friend and her colleague are safe.ive seen a lot of truckers taking U turns or cutting in without checking and estimating the speed of the other vehicles around them.looking at the third pic, the entire dashboard is cracked as well.

rev
Old 25th March 2009, 07:26   #1929
BHPian

Very sorry to see this.

One thing for sure if we use Hand brakes then the car is going to go like a twister since hand brakes engage only diagonally opposite wheels and not all the four.
Old 25th March 2009, 07:43   #1930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightpower View Post
Very sorry to see this.

One thing for sure if we use Hand brakes then the car is going to go like a twister since hand brakes engage only diagonally opposite wheels and not all the four.
Handbrake only engages the rear wheel and not diagonally opposite wheels.

The normal braking otherwise has approx about 55:45 brake pressure distribution with front bias.
Old 25th March 2009, 07:47   #1931
Senior - BHPian

Thats a nasty one. But by the looks it seems the drivers head might have banged the front screen. Was he really wearing seat belt or seat belt was faulty?
What was the truck driver's opinion? Did he accept his fault?

Car is a write off.

Abhi
Old 25th March 2009, 07:57   #1932
Senior - BHPian

What happened to the truck driver? Did he run away? I really can't understand how people can risk themselves and others especially when taking 'U' turns and moving from a stationary position. So many times I have experienced rickshawallas negotiating a half 'U' turn and then peeping to see if someone is coming from behind. The half turn is enough for someone not alert to skid off a bike and hurt himself.
My sense cannot expalin this behaviour.
Old 25th March 2009, 08:00   #1933
Senior - BHPian

I think that the driver of Santro was not wearing belts or some fault came up and it did not hold him properly. During our Baleno crash, my uncle sitting in the front passenger seat banged his head on the windscreen and we has similar mark visible on the windscreen of Santro.

Ok, we agree it was truck drivers fault, but should't we maintain a safe distance from all these trucks ? Also the truck must have that bar to avoid cars from going below the truck, else the rear end of trucks is high such that the place that takes maximum impact is the base of A-pillar.

They are also fortunate to say the least.
I think this was avoidable if the driver kept a safe distance from the truck. One must not cross the speeds like 80 on Indian highways that are not expressways, also experience matters a lot.
Its said that " Enjoy the journey ".

About the car, initially I thought that the car help up well, but there in intrusion into the cabin, not exactly intursion, but the cabin came, but still for a small car its nice to see the impact being taken nicely.
Old 25th March 2009, 08:05   #1934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Also the truck must have that bar to avoid cars from going below the truck
That is correct, but, in this case it seems (from the writeup)
that the car hit the truck side ways. In my opinion near the right front wheel of the truck.
Old 25th March 2009, 08:22   #1935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Ok, we agree it was truck drivers fault, but should't we maintain a safe distance from all these trucks ?
aaggoswami, that was my first reaction, but reading again, i realized what he means is Truck suddenly swerved from a middle lane to right to take a u turn ahead. That can hardly be called as a fault on the person driving the Santro.

Worst part is that these truck drivers go scot free after incidents like this. Glad both passengers are safe.

Most Viewed