Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 21:52   #7891
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

"I'm driving at the speed limit,
therefore nobody has a right to overtake me, and,
therefore I have a right to drive in whatever lane I choose"

Been hearing this one, even back in UK, just about all my life. It isn't true, because, contrary to the less pig-headed but just as wrong misapprehension that the left lane is for slow and the right lane is for fast, the rule is to keep to the left and overtake on the right.

I have to admit that this rule either does not exist in practice or simply does not work on urban Indian roads, but it ought to be given a chance on a highway.
Old 15th April 2011, 01:02   #7892
Distinguished - BHPian

This was my friend's WagonR.He was driving alongwith his father,both on the front seat and thankfully were putting on seatbelts.Accident happened somewhere around Shahjahanpur on NH24 while driving down from Bareilly at night.The truck infront of his car just stopped dead in middle of road and he rammed into it,thereafter the truck driver ran away with the truck.His father got a few cuts due to glass pieces.
Old 15th April 2011, 09:17   #7893
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry,the snaps had not got uploaded last time.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-171687_1584465011992_1246740360_31246512_4654501_o.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-175685_1584468172071_1246740360_31246535_5404805_o.jpg  

Old 15th April 2011, 10:30   #7894
Distinguished - BHPian

Today morning at 9:00am in Bangalore, I saw an Indicab at the St.john's junction (IRR and hosur road junction or Koramangala water tank junction)

The front left was damaged very much and the glass pieces were lying all over the area.
Seemed to be a case of signal break for me.
The cab driver must have broken the signal and some other vehicle(going by the impact, it must have been a big vehicle) must have hit it from the left.
Didn't find the other vehicle there though.
If it really was a case of breaking the signal, he should have got his lesson by now.
The driver side was ok. Now because of one guy's mistake, the other vehicle and the passenger in the cab would have suffered.

As a last minute thought, chances of the other vehicle breaking the signal and hitting the indicab cannot be ruled out either.

Since it was almost at the centre of the road, I couldn't stop for pictures.
Anybody have pictures of the same?

@IRONH4WK, if I'm right you ride in this area daily...any pictures???

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 15th April 2011 at 10:32.
Old 15th April 2011, 11:01   #7895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
@IRONH4WK, if I'm right you ride in this area daily...any pictures???
no mate, unfortunately not. i've been WFH for last two days.
Old 15th April 2011, 11:12   #7896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Sorry,the snaps had not got uploaded last time.
Fish! That's one bad crash!! Glad you guys got out safe!
I nearly met with a similar incident in my i10 day before y'day, but thanks to my dad's last moment manouver, we ended up with only a broken LHS mirror.
But it was DAMN scary for me.
Old 15th April 2011, 14:17   #7897
Senior - BHPian

Any news/pics on the mumbai -pune expressway pileup ? Heard 2 volvos and a couple of trucks along with a SUV were involved .Seems the road was closed for 3-4 hours!
Old 15th April 2011, 14:36   #7898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Any news/pics on the mumbai -pune expressway pileup ? Heard 2 volvos and a couple of trucks along with a SUV were involved .Seems the road was closed for 3-4 hours!
Times mentioned that many people drive in the neutral gear in that particular section, which is the major cause of accidents.
Here is the report of the same: Two die on killer stretch, News - City - Mumbai Mirror
Old 15th April 2011, 15:37   #7899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Times mentioned that many people drive in the neutral gear in that particular section, which is the major cause of accidents.
Here is the report of the same: Two die on killer stretch, News - City - Mumbai Mirror

The tunnel before this stretch is one very dangerous place .This stretch would always be slippery and you would have to slow down for morons who would have stopped just after the tunnel.

Whoever relies on brakes more than gears to slow down is always at risk.
Old 15th April 2011, 16:03   #7900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
That jeep was in a very bad state. From the statements, looks like it was rammed from behind at stand still and thrown in to a bus. We have no respect for life until someone loses it. This nation seems to be headed towards suicide considering our population, corruption and total lack of any civic sense or responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
@Clevermax, could you tell me whats a DVR ? and how & where have you fixed it in your car? The clarity is really good considering that the video is taken in the night.
I too would like to know that and maybe get one. You never know when it might prove useful.
Old 15th April 2011, 20:50   #7901
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
...The truck infront of his car just stopped dead in middle of road and he rammed into it,thereafter the truck driver ran away with the truck.His father got a few cuts due to glass pieces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
I nearly met with a similar incident in my i10 day before y'day, but thanks to my dad's last moment manouver, we ended up with only a broken LHS mirror.

If you run into the vehicle in front, however unlikely it seemed to you that they should just stop, it is not their fault, it is yours.
Old 15th April 2011, 22:18   #7902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Clevermax, could you tell me whats a DVR ? and how & where have you fixed it in your car? The clarity is really good considering that the video is taken in the night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
I too would like to know that and maybe get one. You never know when it might prove useful.

I document some of my (not everyday) trips using a software in my Android phone. It is called Daily Roads Voyager. You can custom adjust the video quality. It records the speed, time & location too, together with the video. The car will not run out of memory because you can set a max limit for the temp. storage and it will keep on deleting the oldest one. You can retain the videos either manually or set a trigger for accelerometer in the device so that the videos get retained on heavy breaking etc.

The phone is fitted onto the windshield using a vacuum phone holder (Nokia)

Last edited by clevermax : 15th April 2011 at 22:21.
Old 15th April 2011, 23:01   #7903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If you run into the vehicle in front, however unlikely it seemed to you that they should just stop, it is not their fault, it is yours.
Exactly!!.. Theoretically, you should be driving at speeds which you can brake. Whatever be the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
This is not exactly an accident, but it shows a potential accident scenario while overtaking.
Well, considering the situation, the Indica driver, or the guy who was trying to cross the road isn't at fault. Its just that we need to be more attentive.. Well, some situations demand much more from drivers.
Old 15th April 2011, 23:19   #7904
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

I document some of my (not everyday) trips using a software in my Android phone. It is called Daily Roads Voyager. You can custom adjust the video quality. It records the speed, time & location too, together with the video. The car will not run out of memory because you can set a max limit for the temp. storage and it will keep on deleting the oldest one. You can retain the videos either manually or set a trigger for accelerometer in the device so that the videos get retained on heavy breaking etc.

The phone is fitted onto the windshield using a vacuum phone holder (Nokia)
So the cam is on your mobile - could you tell me which mobile do you use? Looks like a very good solution to capture the roads during your trip ! If you could post a day light pic of the set up on your mobile inside the car, would be great !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Well, considering the situation, the Indica driver, or the guy who was trying to cross the road isn't at fault. Its just that we need to be more attentive.. Well, some situations demand much more from drivers.
So you mean to say that any driver on the road can do a zig zag without being careful and can cause accidents ? Clevermax was clearly attentive and braked at the right time and he is safe and sound.
Old 15th April 2011, 23:44   #7905
BHPian

I agree with dhanushs. The video clearly shows how dark in the night it is. Added to that, it's a narrow two-laned road(single lanes for incoming and outgoing traffic). Above that, there don't seem to be any street lights. The Indica is on track. The vehicle emerging from the lane(?)/compound(?) obviously had no idea of any surprises! Clevermax tried doing an overtaking maneuver in the above mentioned conditions.

Quote:
So you mean to say that any driver on the road can do a zig zag without being careful and can cause accidents ? Clevermax was clearly attentive and braked at the right time and he is safe and sound.
He has not said anything about any driver doing any form of zig-zag activity. He means to say what he has quoted, let's not get into decoding!

Btw, no offence meant to anyone, but swiftnfurious, you might want to take a look at clevermax's signature!

Drive safe everyone! Cheers!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks