Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2011, 23:53   #8566
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Doesn't seem like you are wearing the seat belt.. are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Are you sure? I think on the neck (left mosr edge in the picture) you can see the seatbelt, gets hidden by his shirt but you can sea it again lower down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Not sure sir. The black stripe on the t shirt is not convincing me into believing its the seat belt. I could be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
You are wrong Shubz. He is wearing the seat belt. In the photograph, the seat belt runs straight, and the angle in which the picture was taken, the seat belt is almost invisible. But look closer, the seat belt is the only proper straight line in the image

The guys in the Dzire are definitely NOT wearing their seat-belts!
Old 23rd June 2011, 00:01   #8567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
Shama B9R that met with an accident at aroor in Kochi.
interesting pic. I think they have driven the bus post the accident, where one can clearly see a temporary right side headlight being attached. More, so the overhanging RVM's are missing, the small RHS RVM is a proof that they have already smashed the mirrors and this bus was indeed driven rashly. Lucky, seems neither the driver nor the passengers might have got hurt. When will our people start driving with some sense?
Old 23rd June 2011, 00:15   #8568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
The guys in the Dzire are definitely NOT wearing their seat-belts!

are we still on that?
they are btw.
look a bit more closely.
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:08   #8569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
What happened ? damage to top right and bottom left of front part !!
The Bus is SHARMA and not SHAMA. It happened last week near cherthala.This is what happened.A santro car overtook Sharma B9R. As soon as santro got in front of bus the driver of car applied sudden brake in order to avoid an head on collision with a tempo that was trying to overtake a car in opposite direction. The santro was hit on the rear by B9R with such a speed that it fell in to near by canal with driver spot out.The B9R rammed in to near by tree and stopped.
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:30   #8570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Came across an accident warning board which itself is waiting for an accident to be created, rather a catalyst for an accident. Motorbikes behind the board gets completely masked from the view of drivers coming through the main road.
A pretty common sight in Cochin. These can be seen along the NH between Vytilla and Edappally where they place huge barricades near the medians thus masking the oncoming traffic.

All along MG road they have this huge traffic light poles/stand at junctions (not working but just warning lights) obstructing the view.
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:34   #8571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold class View Post
The Bus is SHARMA and not SHAMA. It happened last week near cherthala.This is what happened.A santro car overtook Sharma B9R. As soon as santro got in front of bus the driver of car applied sudden brake in order to avoid an head on collision with a tempo that was trying to overtake a car in opposite direction. The santro was hit on the rear by B9R with such a speed that it fell in to near by canal with driver spot out.The B9R rammed in to near by tree and stopped.
By spot out do you intend to say he passed away on the spot? Sorry to be a bit basic. is my assumption is correct, we should be careful while driving anywhere near these private buses. Heck, I am beginning to think even the state transport buses are better than them (well most of the time)
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:20   #8572
BHPian

Came across this fellow's youtube channel. He's uploaded some 47 odd videos of people he THINKS are driving/riding rashly on public roads. In the process, he missed the whole point where the videos are being SHOT BY HIM WHILE HE DROVE!!

Like they say, it's easy to point fingers at others! *sigh*

YouTube - ‪therealnavin's Channel‬‏
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:36   #8573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
May be hit two vehicles (or a vehicle and a pole) in the same accident - e.g. a car cuts in front, bus swerves, hits the car and then hits a truck/pole
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold class View Post

So I guessed it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
By spot out do you intend to say he passed away on the spot? Sorry to be a bit basic. is my assumption is correct, we should be careful while driving anywhere near these private buses. Heck, I am beginning to think even the state transport buses are better than them (well most of the time)

I'm not sure the bus guy is at fault - this is definitely the doing of the tempo guy, and in all probability Santro guy was no saint either.

I mean this happens quite a lot in Hyderabad you are travelling at 60, leaving enough space between you and the vehicle in front - biker cuts in dangerously right in front of you - before you can do anything about it, the other vehicle in front brakes (for some reason) and so does the biker and suddenly you find you don't have any space left to brake.

Basically because you are driving safely this jackass gets hemself and you in a dangerous position and then you get the blame. For all I know the bus driver might have found himself in a similar situation.

Last edited by vina : 23rd June 2011 at 13:39.
Old 25th June 2011, 02:45   #8574
BHPian

I almost ended up getting featured on this thread.
Incident - 1
Time - 3:30 AM - 24th June.
Place - Khadki Bazaar road pune.

I was on the way back home and driving through this stretch, it is a two lane road with heavy vehicles allowed after 11 p.m. There was a queue of about 4 trucks and I was behind them for almost a kilometre. Did not overtake because of traffic on the opposite side. Then on on stretch, where visibility is good I decided to overtake the first two trucks as there was a decent (atleast 3 car length) gap between these the lead group of 2 and the 2nd group of two trucks. There was nothing coming from the front. Also, I know that the bylanes are army lanes and almost never used by traffic, having said that there are no blind spots so I could easily see if someone was coming through the lane.

When I overtook the trucks, flashing my headlight liberally and also honking occasionaly, I was able to overtake the first two. Then with no oncoming traffic, I decided to overtake the other two, had just overtaken the first truck when the lead guy, decided to take a bylane all of a sudden. NO INDICATOR whatsoever!. I was taken by surprise and had almost crossed the second truck halfway, who had braked as he was following the first truck so I did not even have a chance to slow down and merge. Tapped the brakes and then stepped on them a bit (was at 40-45 kmph). By the time I stopped I was almost near the rear wheel of the dumbass lead truck which had turned right. a few inches more and it was a Tbone for sure.

The trucker was doing that to save 20 bucks toll that they pay on this road. When I shouted loud, he wass like, Horn nahi sunai diya.

I was almost sweating...stopped the car by the side...took a 10 min relaxation break and moved for home.

Quick thinking and my practise of not hard braking probably saved me this time. Or I would have been featured here atleast my baby...who for sure would have a damaged bumper and stuff.
------

Incident - 2
Time - 3:30 AM - 24th June.
Place - Bylane behind FC road (near lakaki lake) pune.

Was driving at a speed of 20 kmph in this lane because it is a narrow lane with cars parked on one side. There is a blind curve here (read curve not turn because it actually does not even turn much). I was giving short blips on the horn to warn any oncoming guys.

Two certified morons suddenly came at full speed on a Bajaj Spirit, when they saw my car, the rider suddenly braked, though he could have easily moved out, enough space. I moved the car to the left so as not to hurt them in case it was a head on (2 inches fromt he wall on the left i was). The guys skid hard and fell, one in front of my car and the other in the opposite direction. I had already braked and stopped inches from the first guy (who fell in front of my car).
Both were kids (16-17 year old). I gave them a piece of my mind. They were like horn aiku nahi aala gadi chya avajat (trans - couldnt hear your horn over the sound of our bike).
In this case for sure, if it was a new driver or someone nervous and instead of hitting the brakes hit the gas, this chap was a goner.

The next thing I did - Installed a new horn (Minda Blast or something also known famously as the Skoda horn) and new bulbs in my low beams. Planning to put two Hella FF's in my bumper tomorrow.
Old 25th June 2011, 11:00   #8575
Senior - BHPian

Torqucurve: Those sure are scary events. Both the places you've mentioned, are notorious for such incidents. Well as far as trucks are concerned, there is nothing much to say! Those guys would remain that ways for eternity I guess.

BTW: Just curiosity, how can you be at Khadki Bazaar and Lakaki Lake at the same time? Specially when the distance is between the two is almost 10 kms
Old 26th June 2011, 00:19   #8576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
The guys skid hard and fell, one in front of my car and the other in the opposite direction. I had already braked and stopped inches from the first guy (who fell in front of my car).
Both were kids (16-17 year old).
I have observed in Pune, that there are these college going kids on Honda Dio's; who drive very rashly. And none of them are wearing a helmet Plus they are downright arrogant also. So even if you shout at them, they will say something irresponsibly, and run away asap.
Old 26th June 2011, 03:57   #8577
Senior - BHPian

last thing i would ever want to do in TBHP. It is post something like this here.

Translated: A bus(volvo) from bangalore heading towards kerela had a head-on collision with another intra-district bus at about 2230hrs near salem where in 10 people were killed and over 40 injured. Its says it happened on the bangalore-salem national highway NH7. As its my hometown and I am quite familiar with it, I know for sure that the highway(bangalore-Salem) is a proper full 4 lane highway. This cannot be the NH rather should have been the SH, running through the districts. Correct me if my geography is wrong!

Private buses confrontation: 10 killed, 40 injured | ??????? ?????? ???????? ???? ????? : 10 ???? ???: 40 ???? ???????? Dinamalar

NH-7 Salem highway:
NH7++Salem+Highway.jpg (image)
Old 26th June 2011, 10:02   #8578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Translated: A bus(volvo) from bangalore heading towards kerela had a head-on collision with another intra-district bus at about 2230hrs near salem where in 10 people were killed and over 40 injured. Its says it happened on the bangalore-salem national highway NH7.
Kallada guys usually go via Bhavani-Mettur-Thoppur route. Both the times I took their bus (including once on their B9R) they took the Mettur route.

The news item says the (other) bus was traveling from Salem to Dharmapuri - so this bus cannot be on the route in question.

May be the accident took place in one of the byelanes around Omalur.

Edit: Just saw on TV: It seems the Volvo lost control while trying to overtake another vehicle, and jumped over the divider to the other lane and hit head-on to the bus. This is what I could understand from the news. The Videos appeared to show that the Volvo was on the wrong lane.

Edit 2: News on The Hindu:
Quote:
At least seven passengers, including a woman, were killed and many others seriously injured when a private bus from Salem on way to Dharmapuri and an omni bus proceeding to Kerala from Bangalore collided head-on near Pannapatti village on the Salem-Bangalore National Highway on Saturday night. Wrong lane
Preliminary reports said that the bus from Bangalore had strayed into the wrong lane causing the accident. Drivers of both the buses have died.
The identities of the deceased are yet to be established. Ambulances and Fire and Rescue Service personnel from Salem and Omalur have moved the injured to hospitals in Omalur and Salem.
Superintendent of Police N. M. Mylvahanan is supervising the rescue operations.
Photo from The Hindu.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2011062659320101.jpg  

Last edited by binaiks : 26th June 2011 at 10:15.
Old 26th June 2011, 11:12   #8579
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a Roadlink bus .Not sure though.The flag like logo is something I have seen on their buses.

Most of these bus drivers drive like this

At these speeds ,the only way that these buses can stop suddenly is crashing into someone.

And idiots like the one who took this video say that they were enjoying it .He doesnt realise how this bus driver was endangering so many lives.Had the 2 trucks that he was overtaking veered to the right ,it would have easily been one more headline on our news channels!!

These buses which are manufactured in other countries have seat belts for all seats .Here ,I rarely see anything beyond the first row of seats !
speedsatya is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 11:16   #8580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Looks like a Roadlink bus .Not sure though.The flag like logo is something I have seen on their buses.
Has to be KPN. They are the only day time Multi-Axle operator on the Madurai-Bangalore route.

Most Viewed