Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2012, 13:24   #10891
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Can't conclude the variants from the steel wheels because i10 does not offer alloy wheels in any of its variants! But upon careful observation, I believe I saw black door handles, indicating it might be a base variant.
Could you put some light on the trees blocking the road as mentioned in the news article? Is this really true?
My bad. Yes you are right. I went and re-checked the features on i10 and alloys are not on offer. Airbags and ABS only on the Sportz and Asta variants . Definitely no airbags and ABS on this one given the lower variant involved.

This particular stretch of the road does have some dense vegetation and huge trees lining them in certain sections where one needs to be careful. The article also states that fatal accidents have happened on this stretch. I guess it is more towards how careful and alert the driver is specially in such situations. I don't think one can create the perfect road everywhere while we collectively as a whole allow ourselves to skip on essential safety features as airbags in our cars. If one's car is missing safety features such as this, one needs to be triply careful when on highways and drive at slow speeds to avoid such unfortunate loss of life.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 16th April 2012 at 13:25.
Old 16th April 2012, 14:25   #10892
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
This underpass is at Kadubeesanahalli on ORR. The indica hasnt come on the wrong side. The underpass is currently open to traffic on both the sides. This arrangement is only for a few months until the underpass on the otherside gets ready for operation.

Me thinks the Indica was on the wrong side of the stone blocks. The 407 possibly tried to climb up the footpath in a bid to avoid getting hit, but could not manage in time, climbed after the crash and swerved back into the road.

Just a one possible scenario...

--Rahul
Old 16th April 2012, 14:54   #10893
Senior - BHPian

Airbags are effective, however, it ain't going to save you or even protect you if you go head on into a truck. There is no lower body on any of ours trucks and the chassis is exactly in line with your head. Even on a tall boy car, the nose is still quite low and this travels right into the front axle of the truck.

It is also about time more Airbags are offered for the front passengers and some basic airbag deployment for the rear passengers. More importantly, an Airbag needs to be sold as standard equipment and not a feature just because you bought a higher variant. Strip the stereo and climate controls for something more useful.
Old 16th April 2012, 20:49   #10894
BHPian

Honda Accord (which I envied) in Kochi.

No idea about how it happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0000.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0001.jpg  

Old 16th April 2012, 20:56   #10895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
This is a horrible accident and mistake by the bikers. This is why the Vijayawada highway is very dangerous.

Bike hit the Bus - Dangerous Accident-Two men Dead - Video Dailymotion

Sad state I should say. One correction here is that the Highway is just like any other highway now. It's the people's " my dad's road " attitude that is very dangerous. Be it any ones mistake, It's the bigger vehicle that is blamed.
Old 16th April 2012, 21:15   #10896
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
This is a horrible accident and mistake by the bikers. This is why the Vijayawada highway is very dangerous.

Bike hit the Bus - Dangerous Accident-Two men Dead - Video Dailymotion

I am really curious why the rider was so blind to the on-coming bus. The thud moment of the impact was sickening to see and hear. That free-spirited swerve into the path of the bus looks like it was induced by an alcohol high.

--Rahul
Old 17th April 2012, 10:08   #10897
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Honda Accord (which I envied) in Kochi.

No idea about how it happened.
This happened near Oberon. The car collided with a truck that was carrying metal pipes. The truck didnt have any proper lighting to show it was carrying oversize load. The car driver noticed this at the last moment and banged the rear of the truck.
I used to see this car regularly and loved it. I even saw it just days before it crashed. Reportedly scrapped the car. Too bad.
Old 17th April 2012, 10:18   #10898
BHPian

Saw an accident at Sony world singal, Inner Ring road, Bangalore, where a Swift and Qualis was involved. The qualis seems to be coming EGL side and the swift from NGV(Not sure). Front damage to both the vehicles.
Old 17th April 2012, 11:45   #10899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
3 of a family succumbs to injuries en-route to their home in Kolkata returning after a holiday from Digha. I myself have used this stretch and the roads themselves are pretty good though two laned. Recent relaying of these roads allow folks to hit 80-100 KMPH easily on these state highways now however there is a good amount of local traffic on these roads that one needs to be careful of. Also its a winding road through rural areas with some blind spots which was one of the reasons for this unfortunate mishap.
May they rest in peace.

At the risk of sounding insensitive, aren't we supposed to slow down when we approach a crossing / junction or we can't see much further ahead? Why do we let God handle everything when the least we could do was to slow down / look for traffic? :(

Sorry, i don't know whose mistake it was....but at least one of them taking the precaution might've avoided this. To repeat it for the Nth time, 'Consider the other driver to be an IDIOT even if its a 1Crore car".

We're a country where we overtake on blind turns on a 2 lane road. We keep God really busy.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 21:52   #10900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Airbags are effective, however, it ain't going to save you or even protect you if you go head on into a truck. There is no lower body on any of ours trucks and the chassis is exactly in line with your head. Even on a tall boy car, the nose is still quite low and this travels right into the front axle of the truck.

It is also about time more Airbags are offered for the front passengers and some basic airbag deployment for the rear passengers. More importantly, an Airbag needs to be sold as standard equipment and not a feature just because you bought a higher variant. Strip the stereo and climate controls for something more useful.
Cannot agree more Sandeep. Perfectly said. Airbags are a necessary safety feature and should be made mandatory. It will be useful in accidents where the other vehicle is also of similar size. But a head on collision with a truck or a bus will simply take the airbags out of the equation. Tons of metal directly climb onto the car and crush the cabin. It needs to be made mandatory that the trucks and buses have lower body which will prevent smaller vehicles going underneath it in the event of a collision.
Old 17th April 2012, 23:26   #10901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisasa

Cannot agree more Sandeep. Perfectly said. Airbags are a necessary safety feature and should be made mandatory. It will be useful in accidents where the other vehicle is also of similar size. But a head on collision with a truck or a bus will simply take the airbags out of the equation. Tons of metal directly climb onto the car and crush the cabin. It needs to be made mandatory that the trucks and buses have lower body which will prevent smaller vehicles going underneath it in the event of a collision.
Agree too. The crash bar is enforced pretty strictly in Delhi and the NCR, at least at the front and back of trucks. Strangely enough I learned from someone else on TBHP that they are mandatory across India, though I haven't seen them being enforced as much in the south or other parts.
Old 18th April 2012, 07:24   #10902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
I learned from someone else on TBHP that they are mandatory across India, though I haven't seen them being enforced as much in the south or other parts.
This rule was made mandatory some years ago but few follow it down south. Those impact beams are also not very effective. Just look at them. It hangs off a few bolts. In a impact, those bolts will just shear off and you are again under whatever it is you crashed into. Having these impact beams help but it needs to be designed well. The purpose of having them is forgotten. They fix them to just satisfy the rule without taking into account how effective it is.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 19:20   #10903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Agree too. The crash bar is enforced pretty strictly in Delhi and the NCR, at least at the front and back of trucks. Strangely enough I learned from someone else on TBHP that they are mandatory across India, though I haven't seen them being enforced as much in the south or other parts.
It is sad that the people concerned do not want to enforce a safety rule that might help save many lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
This rule was made mandatory some years ago but few follow it down south. Those impact beams are also not very effective. Just look at them. It hangs off a few bolts. In a impact, those bolts will just shear off and you are again under whatever it is you crashed into. Having these impact beams help but it needs to be designed well. The purpose of having them is forgotten. They fix them to just satisfy the rule without taking into account how effective it is.
Not effective at all. The impact beams are not fixed properly and sometimes it is fixed onto the body or bumper. -- like the bull bar. So in a crash it will not offer any resistance and will be taken out instantly. In fact, the trucks and buses should have under run protection all around them. So it would be good if the body is built as a low one.
Old 18th April 2012, 22:23   #10904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisasa

It is sad that the people concerned do not want to enforce a safety rule that might help save many lives.

Not effective at all. The impact beams are not fixed properly and sometimes it is fixed onto the body or bumper. -- like the bull bar. So in a crash it will not offer any resistance and will be taken out instantly. In fact, the trucks and buses should have under run protection all around them. So it would be good if the body is built as a low one.
Nearly met the Creator some 3 years ago, when travelling with a friend in his Getz. He took a turn on the highway too quick, and there was a very slow moving truck on our lane, right in front. No under-run protection. I remember some very hard braking. Came within a couple of feet of the truck. Shut my eyes hard. Just when I thought it was going to be a very painful death, the right tyre of our car burst and the car swerved right, crashing into the middle of a Montero coming from the opposite side. Both cars took extensive damages to the tune of lakhs, but thankfully nobody was hurt, owing to seatbelts, airbags, et al. But we were so shaken, the effect took quite long to wear off.
Old 19th April 2012, 07:52   #10905
BHPian

Saw this outside Tata showroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00333.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks