Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 08:01   #12406
BHPian

Someone quoted in FB page that this i20 accident was because of tyre burst. Find it hard to believe. Is this true?
Old 19th December 2012, 08:37   #12407
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Irresponsible road users are the sole reason for accidents.

I have recently came back from a highway trip Chennai - Tvm and i can vouch that our highway infra-structure is good enough for doing speeds 130-150 km/hr. BUT.. fellow road users makes it only good enough to do 80-100 km/hr.
Wouldn't it make more sense to drive within the speed limits instead of treating the highways as autobahns? I regularly see drivers driving their luxury cars (I mean for a middle-class guy even a M800 is a luxury!) at three digit speeds on the Mumbai-Pune e-way, where the speed limit is 80kmph. I would expect a 'responsible' driver to obey the speed limit as a rule of thumb and not curse others who try to follow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Just wondering how 7 people managed to fit into the i20. I just wish they were all buckled up. And setting out for a drive at 2 am is not the wisest thing to do!
Last I checked, the i20 doesn't come with seven seatbelts, so I don't see how all the seven occupants could have been buckled up. Setting out for a drive at 2am is not the problem, it's the basic adherence to laws and regulations which is absent.

Same as the gentleman above about his Swift, I too get comments that my Nano has space enough for five, and I agree with the sentiment, but refuse to carry five. I insist my co-passenger be buckled up before I start off, no matter if it's my wife or a colleague or a senior (occasionally even a cop who wants to hitch a ride and insists nobody would stop us for not wearing a seatbelt).

So as long as people are careless about the way they approach driving, these incidents will keep happening. The only way to prevent it is to be responsible ourselves, and refuse to travel with anyone who does not seem to be as responsible.

Back to some local news: Found another bike slipping and throwing off its riders on the Mumbra bypass last night. Fortunately they were on a very bad patch of road which even the truckers try to avoid, and it was a straight incline. If they were being followed by an empty trailer-truck, things could have been worse. This is the second accident I have witnessed in a span of a month or so (the first one, a similar bike accident took place on the exit ramp). Fortunately in both instances the riders were not greatly injured.

Last edited by honeybee : 19th December 2012 at 08:40.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 13:56   #12408
Senior - BHPian

Another accident on ECR today,opposite "Ignite-the garage", ~ 12:30pm, broad daylight, Lancer with 5-6 adults turns turtle and lands on its roof. 108 ambulances had already responded and taken all to hospital when I crossed the spot ~ 1:00pm. No info about the seriousness of the injuries, I dont think any fatalities. No other innocent people injured/killed.
Old 19th December 2012, 16:22   #12409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to drive within the speed limits instead of treating the highways as autobahns?
I fully agree. Also, I always believe in one thing and follow it religiously. In addition to knowing the limits of the car one drives, he needs to know his own limits, as in the max speed that he is comfortable with. As in my case, I own a Civic and Esteem and now its mostly the Civic on the highways. The Civic is an extremely capable and powerful car and one can easily do speeds upward of 150 kmph and much beyond. While I have seen people flaunting pics of their speedometers with such numbers, the maximum speed I have touched thus far in the Civic is 130 kmph that too for a few seconds. My average speed on the highway hovers around 80-90 with few sprints that touch 100kmph maybe. I drive within this zone primarily because I feel safe and comfortable only till that and have the confidence that I can stop the car with considerable ease if in case of an emergency.

Also, when I drive I have my family at the back of my mind always and I remember they are with me in the car or waiting for me at home.
rr_zen is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 17:36   #12410
BHPian

Telugu Film actor Yasho Sagar killed in a road accident in Karnataka in the early hours of Wednesday.

South Indian movie actor Yasho Sagar, who played the lead role in the Telugu film Ullasanga Utsahanga, was killed in a road accident in Karnataka in the early hours of Wednesday.

The accident took place on the highway in Tumkur district, near Bukkapatnam, at about 4pm.

Yasho Sagar and his friends - Viswanath Reddy, Lokesh - were driving in a Maruti Swift from Mumbai to Bangalore. Viswanath Reddy was driving the vehicle, Yasho Sagar was sitting next to him, and Lokesh was sitting behind.

Reports say there was no other vehicle involved in the mishap. It is believed that the driver lost control of the car and then hit a bridge. Television visuals of the scene of the accident show the car as having been severaly damaged in the front.

Yasho Sagar and Viswanath Reddy are believed to have died on the spot. Their bodies were taken to a mortuary in a government hospital nearby. Lokesh has been severely injured.

Yasho Sagar, a film producer's son, hailed from Bangalore. Ullasanga Utsahanga was his debut movie.

Source: fullhyderabad.com
Old 19th December 2012, 19:09   #12411
BHPian

Here is the Video Grab of the Accident. The Body Shell has withstood the Impact. Only the Engine compartment is smashed. I can say only "WEAR SEAT BELTS". I assume the driver must have dozed off at the Wheel
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hero_1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hero_2.jpg  

Old 19th December 2012, 20:59   #12412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Also, when I drive I have my family at the back of my mind always and I remember they are with me in the car or waiting for me at home.
Hi rr_zen

You are absolutely right. Family comes in mind before we press the pedal!

Have a safe motoring!
Old 19th December 2012, 21:07   #12413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Here is the Video Grab of the Accident. The Body Shell has withstood the Impact. Only the Engine compartment is smashed. I can say only "WEAR SEAT BELTS". I assume the driver must have dozed off at the Wheel
Yeah passenger cabin appears intact. I am wondering what could be the reason for death ?

Sarvodaya, they didnt wear seat belts ?

The car looks like a VDi/VXI which is surely under tyred.

Last edited by F150 : 19th December 2012 at 21:08.
Old 19th December 2012, 21:19   #12414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to drive within the speed limits instead of treating the highways as autobahns?
But honestly, I used to treat the roads like race track too. Gave up before it was too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
My average speed on the highway hovers around 80-90 with few sprints that touch 100kmph maybe. I drive within this zone primarily because I feel safe and comfortable only till that and have the confidence that I can stop the car with considerable ease if in case of an emergency.
Same with me now. Last week I had to make a return trip to Ambala (230 km one way). I constantly managed to keep the car below 90kmph and trust me, I was not strained after the day. I gave the car to my wife for an hour as I felt sleepy while coming back.
Old 19th December 2012, 21:48   #12415
BHPian

Spotted this today evening on my way back home. I am not sure what happened but looks like a nasty crash with another heavy vehicle. One of them was at a high speed.

From what i heard from people at the spot, a mitsubishi canter or similar model truck hit the car and it did a 180degree turn on the Agara junction flyover (Bangalore). The truck did not stop but was caught at the next junction, Silk Board and driver beaten up ! I am not sure of this news so do not consider this authentic yet !

To me, it looks like the car rear ended or hit the left side of the truck. Could have happened when the truck stopped suddenly or moved to the side without any indication ! Hope no one is hurt, I was shaken seeing the scene ! The second picture is a side profile pic and other vehicles seen are not related.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc2.jpg  

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 19th December 2012 at 21:51. Reason: correcting sentence
Old 19th December 2012, 22:03   #12416
Senior - BHPian

Hi sunishsamuel,

Yeah. Just saw this horrific crash on Agara Flyover @ ~ 9:00 PM. I was passing in my company bus. A guy on phone was diverting traffic.

It's kind of strange that the road leading to the ramp of the Agara flyover is crazy and vehicles just criss cross, but a crash on the flyover, strange !!

Hopefully, the occupants are safe, but the Zen (2nd Gen) looks like a total write-off.
Old 19th December 2012, 22:55   #12417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
I saw that video in local Kannada channel too. That reminded me of another fatal swift accident that i had posted long back.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2919487

Even in this case, the passenger cabin has remained intact after such a terrible crash. But looking at the airbags, I feel, they must have saved the lives.
Old 19th December 2012, 23:20   #12418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Spotted this today evening on my way back home. I am not sure what happened but looks like a nasty crash with another heavy vehicle. One of them was at a high speed.

From what i heard from people at the spot, a mitsubishi canter or similar model truck hit the car and it did a 180degree turn on the Agara junction flyover (Bangalore). The truck did not stop but was caught at the next junction, Silk Board and driver beaten up ! I am not sure of this news so do not consider this authentic yet !

To me, it looks like the car rear ended or hit the left side of the truck. Could have happened when the truck stopped suddenly or moved to the side without any indication ! Hope no one is hurt, I was shaken seeing the scene ! The second picture is a side profile pic and other vehicles seen are not related.
Saw this today around 530p on the opposite direction flyover. There was a Mahindra LCV parked behind it with a cop and hardly any crowd or traffic jam.
To me, it looked like the car was being transported in the LCV and when climbing the flyover, slipped out.
Old 19th December 2012, 23:32   #12419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Saw this today around 530p on the opposite direction flyover. There was a Mahindra LCV parked behind it with a cop and hardly any crowd or traffic jam.
To me, it looked like the car was being transported in the LCV and when climbing the flyover, slipped out.
Thanks if that's the case then its a relief. that someone might have quickly cooked up a story ! At 7.30pm there was heavy traffic jam on the flyover and it seemed that the accident was fresh with no police or anyone near it. And i think if it slipped then the roof would not have been damaged and so the sides.

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 19th December 2012 at 23:34. Reason: Correcting the post
Old 20th December 2012, 00:45   #12420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels
Yet another gruesome accident on the ECR in Chennai. College girl dies, 6 others injured as car hits median on ECR, overturns.

RIP young lady!

Credits: The Hindu

Just wondering how 7 people managed to fit into the i20. I just wish they were all buckled up. And setting out for a drive at 2 am is not the wisest thing to do!
The girl who was behind the wheel is a friend of mine. But, the real cause of the accident is not known. 6 of them are fine & out of danger now. Sorry for the girl who passed away.
RIP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks