Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2012, 21:45   #12526
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
As shown in the footage, the light you define as break light is actually parking lights. He breaked at the last second , can seen from the fact / footage just seconds before collision, and the second red light @ top of parking light came on. This clearly shows he did notice the container, but probably saw it too late.
Nope, you got it wrong. Its actually the break light, You can also see the roof mounted break light lit up with it. I'am owning a Figo so im quiet sure about this. The light which lit up just before crashing is the hazard lamp. As others said i guess the guy breaked light footed and slam it when he got very closer.
Old 27th December 2012, 22:29   #12527
BHPian

This video is bit clear and its very evident that the car is in very high speed.
Old 27th December 2012, 23:21   #12528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
This video is bit clear and its very evident that the car is in very high speed.
Had it been a car or a smaller vehicle instead of this truck it would have been a repeat of the Ferrari crash which happened in Singapore few months back and also would have killed some innocent people. These kind of cases having complete evidence should be closed as suicidal attempt and the driver of the truck should be let free without any investigation. Also, from the video it looks like there is no signals at this junction. Here is the link to the ferrari crash,

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th December 2012 at 00:51. Reason: corrected post for video placement
Old 27th December 2012, 23:33   #12529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Other Points:

• Under an emergency braking condition (at 60 mph / 96 kph and above), the parking lights will automatically start blinking to warn traffic at the back.

[/i]
As mentioned in the TBHP review of the figo, the lights that turn on at the end are the hazard lights.

It is impossible to tell what was happening inside the car but as mentioned earlier, it does look like the driver had his foot on the brake all through, and floored it right at the end.

In my opinion, the real culprit here is the lack of side guards on trucks and trailers. They would have activated the safety systems of the car and the impact would have been borne by the crumple zones, not the A pillar.
Old 28th December 2012, 07:58   #12530
Distinguished - BHPian

a few minutes ago on the NICE road between Bannerghatta road and EC:
An orange swift has hit a Horse...Yes, horse on the expressway(not a wild one)
poor animal's right hind leg was injured and fractured and it was lying by the road.
the swift's bonnet had a small dent.
the keeper of the horse has to be blamed here for getting the animal there.
Old 28th December 2012, 10:05   #12531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
a few minutes ago on the NICE road between Bannerghatta road and EC:
An orange swift has hit a Horse...Yes, horse on the expressway(not a wild one)
poor animal's right hind leg was injured and fractured and it was lying by the road.
the swift's bonnet had a small dent.
the keeper of the horse has to be blamed here for getting the animal there.
What on earth was a horse doing on NICE road? Was there a keeper or was it stray? I pity the poor animal! I hope it'll be treated by a good vet!

I sometimes wonder what happens to people and their common sense! Makes me think there is no link between all these people who write on facebook in btp's page about traffic management, rules, blah blah and the people who are on our roads!

Last edited by Added_flavor : 28th December 2012 at 10:08.
Old 28th December 2012, 10:42   #12532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
What on earth was a horse doing on NICE road? Was there a keeper or was it stray? I pity the poor animal! I hope it'll be treated by a good vet!

I sometimes wonder what happens to people and their common sense! Makes me think there is no link between all these people who write on facebook in btp's page about traffic management, rules, blah blah and the people who are on our roads!
There were some people around the animal, I don't know if the keeper was also present there.
But everybody seemed like they were either clueless or waiting for somebody to take the poor thing to a vet.

BTW, I've once seen a horse on BETL as well and on that occasion it was on the wrong side. that looked like a "shaadi ka ghoda"

TYPING ON THE KEYBOARD IS EASIER THAN DRIVING ON OUR ROADS.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 15:52   #12533
BHPian

OMG !!! Just happened to see the video footage of the Figo crash. Its such a horrific sight. The very thought of the impact the front passengers would have had is so scary. Its a terrible way to end ones life. RIP !!
Old 28th December 2012, 20:11   #12534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
The very thought of the impact the front passengers would have had is so scary.
A closer look at the side view footage would reveal the aftermath of the crash. Absolutely scary. RIP. No sane person would approach an empty intersection at those speeds!
Old 29th December 2012, 01:36   #12535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddVish View Post
In my opinion, the real culprit here is the lack of side guards on trucks and trailers. They would have activated the safety systems of the car and the impact would have been borne by the crumple zones, not the A pillar.
The real culprit is the driver --- as it always is in cases like this.

Safety features such as truck side guards is a valid issue, but, given the apparent speeds (our forensic members have determined 96kph just before impact) this would have been a fatal accident anyway. There would probably have been fatalities if they had driven into a wall.

Whatever happens to the truck driver may never be known, as only the accidents, not the follow-ups, tend to make the news. I guess he is going to be haunted by those people becoming mincemeat under his wheels for ever. Probably won't feel much like driving again ...but probably has a family
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 07:18   #12536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The real culprit is the driver --- as it always is in cases like this.

Safety features such as truck side guards is a valid issue, but, given the apparent speeds (our forensic members have determined 96kph just before impact) this would have been a fatal accident anyway. There would probably have been fatalities if they had driven into a wall.

Whatever happens to the truck driver may never be known, as only the accidents, not the follow-ups, tend to make the news. I guess he is going to be haunted by those people becoming mincemeat under his wheels for ever. Probably won't feel much like driving again ...but probably has a family
Extremely horrific way to end life
God what the heck was the driver thinking.

He braked way too late. Seems like pukka drunk driving case.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 29th December 2012 at 09:34. Reason: The same video has been posted already.
Old 29th December 2012, 10:53   #12537
BHPian

Yesterday while returning from work late night ( around 10:30 PM), the hope farm signal was orange. I saw a convoy of 4 similar huge trailers crossing from ITPL road to whitefield main road towards marathalli. I stop on signal and intermittently used hazard lights to indicate any vehicles coming that there is danger ahead watch your brakes. As the 4th one was in middle, I see a Taxi driver doing little high speed screeching besides me. Wow, what happened to signal I was trying to convey to him. Since trailers had no side lights and were brown in color, they were almost invisible from a distance.
Old 29th December 2012, 11:27   #12538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
. Wow, what happened to signal I was trying to convey to him.
Idiots on our roads drive with hazard lights on when driving in fog or rain or even inside a tunnel. Same way this driver might have thought you are one amongst those who is actually driving with your lights on.
Only people who are aware of the actual reason for using these lights would have slowed down. You were lucky not to be rammed from behind or not to be abused for stopping on the road.

I have been abused for braking to avoid a motorcycle in front of me
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 12:48   #12539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Since trailers had no side lights and were brown in color, they were almost invisible from a distance.
There is a guideline for use of yellow colour reflective tapes on the sides of commercial vehicles. It is now being effectively implemented in Kerala for all commercial vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I have been abused for braking to avoid a motorcycle in front of me
Many still doesn't know that safe distance is to be left while following a vehicle and if one bang into someone's s rear he is at fault.
Old 29th December 2012, 17:47   #12540
Senior - BHPian

We were driving back to Bangalore today; spotted two accidents:
1. 85km before reaching Salem, saw a completely burnt down M800 on the opposite lane. That section if the road was cordoned off by emergency services.

2. When we reached Hosur, there was traffic jam for almost a kilometre. Took half an hour to get through the jam. Saw this fully laden trailer truck on the median; from the looks of it, it hit some other truck and then climbed the median. Signal post was torn out and lying on the road.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image232839282.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image2244043383.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks