Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:23   #12556
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The real culprit is the driver --- as it always is in cases like this. Safety features such as truck side guards is a valid issue, but, given the apparent speeds (our forensic members have determined 96kph just before impact) this would have been a fatal accident anyway. There would probably have been fatalities if they had driven into a wall.
The sad part is that the media/ we only focus on the objective part (numbers of dead) of accidents. That too only for a short span till something else takes our attention away. There is no thought or discussion on the subjective part of the accident, subsequent trauma etc. We have all those crime shows on television. Why cant someone make a show on local accidents and their impact on the lives of those involved directly or indirectly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Very soon he realises there is a trailer ahead and he slams the brakes. Look at the way the car screeched. The biker on left immediately got alerted. Thank god Figo dint hit the biker.
I dont know about others but in such a situation I would have thought the driver would have reacted by trying to steer away from the trailer. IN this case the car may have hit the rear tyres or climbed the divider but if the car had airbags at least they had a chance. Going under the truck was no option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I believe it's the sheer lack of patience. Everyone seems to be in such a tearing hurry, it's like they've got the loosies!
This is why we should have more public toilets! Funnies apart, I think it is just a sheer lack of sensitivity. As they are in safer cars (as against pedestrians or bikers) and probably because their car door slams shut with a metallic thud, they get a false sense of security. Nothing is going to happen to me, so let me push my luck and see what happens.

Everyone else will take care of themselves and its a race similar to a video game where everyone is expected to stay in the same position till I pass them. Lack of anticipation that the other guys could change lanes, run across the road or take a u turn or there could be divider stones removed and placed across the fast lane or, well that list of morons could go on.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:28   #12557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

I dont know about others but in such a situation I would have thought the driver would have reacted by trying to steer away from the trailer. IN this case the car may have hit the rear tyres or climbed the divider but if the car had airbags at least they had a chance. Going under the truck was no option.

change lanes, run across the road or take a u turn or there could be divider stones removed and placed across the fast lane or, well that list of morons could go on.
Well we dont know which model was it. If it dint have ABS then there is no chance of steering. Secondly we dont know the condition of the driver. More chances that he was drunk and would have never thought where to steer.
Secondly the trailer was on move. So steering at such high speed to avoid collision in fraction of second would have not been possible in anyway.

If he would have steered left then surely biker was gone.

Well many faniatic philosopher friends of mine say dont HONK. Europeans and US people dont, so we shouldnt. But this is INDIA fully packed on narrow infrastructure, small roads.
But i prefer honking while overtaking a bike or truck or auto as i never know when they will severe into my lane suddenly. I feel its better to alert them and then overtake.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 14:04   #12558
BHPian

My college senior died in a bike accident. From what I was told he along with two friends were on one bike and racing some of his friends. His biker friends abandoned him after they crashed and run over by a car.

His parents bought him the bike just 3 months ago.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle4262826.ece
Old 2nd January 2013, 14:05   #12559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
But i prefer honking while overtaking a bike or truck or auto as i never know when they will severe into my lane suddenly. I feel its better to alert them and then overtake.
I agree with you. I was of opinion not to honk as much as possible. However I'm changing that slowly, I do honk at turns while driving in hills and also while I have a close overtaking maneuver just to let others know my intentions and so that they don't act stupid. Check this out, this is from my yesterday's return journey around Siddapura - Periaptna stretch. The kid with bicycle suddenly decides to take right and then stops, throwing me almost off the road and then immediately after a few seconds, the truck guy does similar, when I'm almost parallel to him while overtaking he decides to take a right turn.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 14:22   #12560
Distinguished - BHPian

A BHPian friend of mine saw this near Ashoka Pillar on the first morning of the year.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-scorpio.jpg

After observing carefully, I noticed the LCLC (black&red) sticker on the vehicle.
Hope the reason is not the reason that causes most of the new year accidents.
Old 2nd January 2013, 15:36   #12561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
A BHPian friend of mine saw this near Ashoka Pillar on the first morning of the year.

After observing carefully, I noticed the LCLC (black&red) sticker on the vehicle.
Hope the reason is not the reason that causes most of the new year accidents.
I saw this accident yesterday morning on my way to work. Could not take photographs as there was a huge crowd around it.
Old 2nd January 2013, 16:43   #12562
Distinguished - BHPian

My last contribution on the Figo and the truck:

I don't think the guy thought about anything. I don't think that he had time to, especially not, if intoxicated.

Except maybe... No, this is to ridiculous to even mention. Oh, OK: he was so out of his head that he thought he could actually drive under the thing.

That wouldn't be possible even if the truck was stationary, so, yes, its too insane to think of. Isn't it?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 19:04   #12563
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Three deaths involving two wheelers in 3 days in Mumbai.

17 Year old killed in Mumbai on 31 December 2012:
Full article - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/17848705.cms

The boy Akshay Salunkhe took his 16 year old female friend for a ride & near Aarey in Goregoan lost control of his Bike & crashed into concrete wall. The boy is killed, but luckily the girl is saved with no major injuries.

21-year-old girl killed in road mishap
Full Article: http://www.business-standard.com/gen...mishap/102815/

A 21 year girl - Avni Desai, was killed and her brother injured when their two-wheeler crashed into a road divider in suburban Vile Parle, after which she fell on the other side of the road only to be "brushed" by a police jeep.

In another accident, 35 year old Man was killed when a Tempo hit his bike from behind.

Thanks,
Old 2nd January 2013, 19:17   #12564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Lost a dear friend, Dr. Sumanth Venkatesh in a tragic accident near Hosanagara on his way to Jog on a bike. He and his friend had left Bangalore on Saturday on a 2K km road trip on their 2WH. His bike hit a lorry head on, on a blind curve and his head came under the rear wheels and died on the spot.
That was a tragedy to have struck all Jawa Yezdi enthusiasts on New Year's eve. Sumanth was such a responsible rider. Lost a good friend. Never expected to hear this news when I was chating with him on last thursday. Rest In Peace Dr.Sumanth. You will always live in our hearts!
Old 2nd January 2013, 22:45   #12565
Senior - BHPian

The more i see this thread the more cautious i have become these days. Just completed my trip to tirupathi. Never did i cross 105kmph in open stretch of roads.

Saw a whole of i20's overtaking me at speeds definitely over 120.

I can say i am losing the battle to drive fast. On the other hand, in this thread i can say its giving me hope to stay alive a little longer.

Thanks to this thread, i am not able to push beyond 105.
VW2010 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:07   #12566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The more i see this thread the more cautious i have become these days. Just completed my trip to tirupathi. Never did i cross 105kmph in open stretch of roads.

Saw a whole of i20's overtaking me at speeds definitely over 120.

I can say i am losing the battle to drive fast. On the other hand, in this thread i can say its giving me hope to stay alive a little longer.

Thanks to this thread, i am not able to push beyond 105.
Exactly my thoughts. I'm not sure if I'm contributing enough, but I do read this thread as and when I get opportunity, this has kept me under control and taught me to expect unexpected on roads. I've upgraded to faster, bigger vehicle recently and not riding it faster than my old car these days. I'm happy I'm driving many places at the same time, doesn't make a big difference if I reach a few minutes later. I hope I wont start another discussion that 'slow!=safe' or otherwise, awareness and control (though it's become subjective) is what needed.

@Thad
On that Figo instance, I cant believe the driver had 1% intention of getting through the container like a movie stunt, he had his foot on the break either by mistake or by intention to slow it down a little further, he either got diverted to do something in the mean time or was DUI and reacted very late, if we look at the stomping of the break which was so close to the container, he reacted late and at that point, I don't think he had enough time (or instincts) to swerve side ways. 'Late reaction @ very high speed' it was rather for an unknown reason to us.
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:42   #12567
Senior - BHPian

Another wannabe F1 star endangers his life along with fellow road users in Hyderabad.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/13010...e-5-pvnr-crash

Truly a miracle that the i10 star-driver was unhurt !!!
Old 4th January 2013, 11:46   #12568
Senior - BHPian

A school van in Chennai carrying 15 children, had a miraculous escape a day back. Not long ago, a little girl was killed in a gruesome accident in the same vicinity.

Quote:
G. Balaji (29) of Bharathi Nagar, Tambaram, was at the wheel of a Mahindra maxi cab and was taking a group of children from schools in East Tambaram and Selaiyur to their homes in West Tambaram. Around 4 p.m. he is reported to have lost control and the vehicle, after slamming into the side wall of the bridge, landed on its left side.
Full Article: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle4267459.ece
Old 5th January 2013, 14:44   #12569
BHPian

On 22nd of dec, i saw this accident when i was on my way to my hometown. This accident had taken place just 20-30 kms before Tiptur in Karnataka.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0250_1.jpg

I stopped my car and went closer to the car. I was shocked to see that the car, while going off the road, had jumped off that narrow canal/water drain.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0242_1.jpg

The red arrows show the direction which the car came from. There is a very very smooth descending road (recently asphalted) followed by a sharp turn. That tempting stretch can throw you off the road if you are not within a certain speed limit. This car must have travelled laterally till it encountered the coconut tree.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0257_1.jpg

I felt sorry for the co passenger who had to bear the brunt of such a nasty hit. Looking at the seat position, i am afraid, the head must have smashed against the window.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0254_1.jpg

Not much damage here.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0255_1.jpg

Look at the damage of rear right door. Couldnt understand how that must have happened.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0248_1.jpg

The locals said that this is not the first time that such an accident had happened at this spot. They pointed at another coconut tree in the same farm which had successfully acted as a barricade to arrest the further slide of a bus which went off the road in similar fashion. I figured out that they were busy in speculating which coconut tree's turn will come next.
Old 5th January 2013, 15:19   #12570
Senior - BHPian

I am aware of this stretch. It is very smooth and fast corner. Inexperienced drivers are caught off guard when they over speed and can lose control over their cars in that corner.

I hope there are no serious injuries to the occupants of the Dzire.

Most Viewed