Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2013, 12:28   #13786
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
our law determines the size of the vehicle as the culprit. I have got myself a car DVR just in case to ensure i have some evidence to protect my innocence.
Our law doesn't make any such distinction; the law enforcers - official and self-appointed - do. In the scenario described here, not even a DVR can help you in a court - you will definitely get charged with "Rash and Negligent Driving".
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 14:19   #13787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our law doesn't make any such distinction
I stand corrected and make the following changes. Our police's interpretation of law almost all the time determines the size of the vehicle in relation to the accident as the culprit.
Old 13th August 2013, 17:02   #13788
Senior - BHPian

Another one from JVLR Powai, Mumbai,
The cause is excellent road design by MMRDA by placing loose concrete blocks haphazardly and turning a blind eye to it forever.
Cant blame the truck guy or car guy.
Hope such event takes place in MMRD's family so that they can then visualize the consequences more easily. Last picture shows the cause of sudden twist and turns.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0600.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0607.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0614.jpg  

Last edited by gigy : 13th August 2013 at 17:03.
gigy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 13:58   #13789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
More so, well done to get out of a royal mess that would have become. Irrespective of your intention and your ability to stop the car to save the boy, had you ran over, the police would have taken you for a royal ride.

our law determines the size of the vehicle as the culprit. I have got myself a car DVR just in case to ensure i have some evidence to protect my innocence.

Your BIL was lucky first to save the boy secondly to save himself from our police.
That was our second thought. We would have been sure screwed had he fallen right in-front of the car and been run over.

The irony is that as soon as this guy fell, another jumped from the foot-board as if he were going to save the former. He of-course, lost is balance and fell too. But by this time, the bus had stopped.
All complaints from the passengers were towards the driver. They had tried persuading him to stop, but in vain.
Old 14th August 2013, 14:25   #13790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
On a trip to Chennai last weekend, I was witness to a near fatal accident. ........................We left from the spot, but all having lumps in our throats.
Welcome to Chennai and Chennai kids wh oare wannabe Rajnikanth/Vijaykanths.Only difference is that when Rajini does this on screen we pay to watch.
Kudos to your BIL for the driving instinct.

The below qualifies for a accident thread but just missed(fortunately) and actually adds to Bad Drivers thread.

Other day whilst returning from office near the shell bunk of ekathutangal a biker fell down inches from my car tyre (I was crossing beneath the metro) and was . The biker gets up (he was at 60 - a zig zag was placed still he managed) and comes screaming at me complains that I was fast and was to blame.
Old 14th August 2013, 14:29   #13791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
OMG !! This is heart-wrenching. What's more tragic is when I think about the parents. I am literally in tears after reading the news article :'-(
Makes me lose faith in The Almighty.
Well, i havent lost faith in God yet, but have already lost faith in NHAI. The cuts in the medians of our highways to allow a right / U turn are unscientific and are the root cause of many fatal accidents. There should have been bridges (under/over) to allow others to take a safe turn. In this case, i dont blame either the bus or the car. The NHAI guys are the culprits.
Old 14th August 2013, 14:51   #13792
BHPian

Witnessed an accident today morning near our hospital. A father and daughter in a bike dashed with a fisherman's M80. The father was brought dead to our hospital and body is now in our mortuary. The daughter's condition is serious and is in ICU. The fisherman also survived.

People from the site said that he fisherman was speeding and cutting lanes.

Folks from kollam can understand the speed at which these fishermen dash in their mopeds.
Old 14th August 2013, 16:09   #13793
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
The biker gets up (he was at 60 - a zig zag was placed still he managed) and comes screaming at me complains that I was fast and was to blame.
He hit the road at 60 kmph? He's lucky to be breathing, let alone screaming.

A couple of weeks ago, I was driving on a narrow road, usually reduced to almost-single-lane by parked vehicles. A biker+wife+child emerged from the right (eg wrong!) side of a side road on my right (so I could see him) straight into the path of a scooter which he could not see. I had to brake to avoid them both. I gave home some friendly (yes, really!) advice about keeping his family, let alone himslef, alive, and he started with a stream of cow brown stuff. I drove off.

I failed to keep my cool with a driver, a few evenings ago, who was pushing, tailgating and bullying. Two lane road, but one that is often simply not safe to move to left lane due to pedestrians etc etc. After he pushed his way through, nearly running into a biker, we stopped alongside each other at the next signal. I wound down the window and gave serious abuse. I have no doubt he understood the gist of it, whether he speaks the
language or not. He looked somewhat astonished. No doubt, though, He still thinks it was just me getting in the way, and sees no fault in his own driving. I, on the other hand, freely admit my fault --- of remaining linguistically challenged and unable to do this in Tamil!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 18:44   #13794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
He hit the road at 60 kmph? He's lucky to be breathing, let alone screaming.

A couple of weeks ago, I was driving on a narrow road, usually reduced to almost-single-lane by ...... He still thinks it was just me getting in the way, and sees no fault in his own driving. I, on the other hand, freely admit my fault --- of remaining linguistically challenged and unable to do this in Tamil!
Now that is a grnuine fault and serious in case of an emergency.
Travel in autos and see how much you can improve on this front sir. trust me.
Old 15th August 2013, 05:06   #13795
BHPian

Yet another accident at Palm Beach Road. Time was around 2 am today.
A Fiesta at a very high speed veers off the road on the left side, crashes into the bushes, somehow manages to swing around and hit a tree with its rear, and finally comes to a rest facing the wrong way.

Noone was hurt as it was the backside of the car that kissed the tree. Eyewitnesses say that the driver and all the passengers were drunk.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130815_015736_lls.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130815_015634_lls.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130815_015609_lls.jpg

(Sorry for the bad pics, it's from my mobile in near darkness)
Old 16th August 2013, 07:35   #13796
Distinguished - BHPian

The news says it all - the jog falls trip turned fatal for these. Not sure who is at fault but lesson is to stay away from those humongous buses and trucks that keep speeding without knowing limits of their vehicles. It applies to cars driven by armatures as well.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image1904393520.jpg
Old 16th August 2013, 10:42   #13797
BHPian

From the looks of the vehicle it seems a clear cut case of high speed over taking manoeuvre gone wrong . The car has taken a full frontal impact with the RHS having the taken the maximum impact .
Old 16th August 2013, 11:52   #13798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
On a trip to Chennai last weekend, I was witness to a near fatal accident. one of the kids started moving from the front to the rear opening while hanging on the windows bars. He was using his hands and legs to push himself up and towards the rear. We watched in horror and started honking for the bus to stop, but in vain. Towards the middle, he lost his grip and fell.
Two decades back, when i used to be at College, on this very road, i had seen an identical situation, while riding my Hero Puch to college.

Those days, this used to be a fad for the teen boys to "Impress" the girls. The local buses in Chennai have the seats reserved for Women all along one row and many college/school boys hang on to dear life on the foot boards and all along the sides, between the front and the rear entrances of the buses.

What is unbelievable though, Two decades, and nothing has changed.

Last edited by Stratos : 16th August 2013 at 14:41. Reason: Quote tags corrected.
Old 16th August 2013, 13:11   #13799
BHPian

Well, the buses with automatic doors seem to have controlled the problem upto an extent.
Nowadays, its just people hanging from the footboard & a few months ago, a boy on footboard was killed when a tipper lorry scraped the side of that bus!
Old 16th August 2013, 17:47   #13800
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
The news says it all - the jog falls trip turned fatal for these. Not sure who is at fault but lesson is to stay away from those humongous buses and trucks that keep speeding without knowing limits of their vehicles. It applies to cars driven by armatures as well.

Attachment 1125657
Its more likely that it was the Santro driver who was overtaking blindly rather than the bus driver. This ghat road connects Sagar and Honnavar and has a lot of blind curves. Truck movement is sparse. Government buses are generally the slow moving vehicles and ones that get overtaken. Tourists take this road to visit Jog falls. I have seen many tourist vehicles driving on this road, overloaded with people in a jolly state, with no regard to safety. Most likely that the Santro driver was trying to overtake another bus in a blind curve and ran into that bus. Rains would have made matters worse.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks