Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2015, 09:49   #17431
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
This morning at about 8.30 when I was dropping my kids to school, saw a black Verna being towed. The car had frontal damage as far as I could see. This was on the Chennai-Maduravoyal by-pass near Nolambur. There were two or three police vehicles already and a large crowd on the service road, blocking it in an attempt to get a glimpse of the mishap. I could hear one of the guys on the road state that it was a tyre burst, not sure. Anyone witnessed this ?
Just read in today's TOI that a biker who stopped on the highway to answer a call got hit by the car and he fell into the canal nearby and was declared as 'brought dead' by the Kilpauk Medical Hospital. The car was driven by an engineering college student aged 21 years who said he lost control of the vehicle.
Old 24th March 2015, 09:56   #17432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architkarpe View Post
I stay near the beach in Alibag, Maharashtra. I have my own pwc and am into rental watersports. the most common sight n the beach is wanna be Dominic Toretto's trying out stunts to impress their girls . People taking a car for a wash in the beach. Trying to drive through water without knowing the depth. These are some of the picture i was able to capture. Seeing them happening is a different scene altogether.
apologies if my question is silly, I'm just curious - does this happen due to the low tide, high tide concept on this particular beach and is the difference this much? and how on earth did that car get into an inferno after being toppled by a wave?
Old 24th March 2015, 12:54   #17433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I stay near the beach in Alibag, Maharashtra. I have my own pwc and am into rental watersports. the most common sight n the beach is wanna be Dominic Toretto's trying out stunts to impress their girls . People taking a car for a wash in the beach. Trying to drive through water without knowing the depth. These are some of the picture i was able to capture. Seeing them happening is a different scene altogether.
Utter stupidity. Anyone washing or driving in salt water is crazy: it will destroy their car. Perhaps that is not such a bad thing to happen to these antisocial nuisance causers.

How did the fire happen? Was that vandalism?
Old 24th March 2015, 13:58   #17434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
apologies if my question is silly, I'm just curious - does this happen due to the low tide, high tide concept on this particular beach and is the difference this much? and how on earth did that car get into an inferno after being toppled by a wave?
The inferno did not happen because of being toppled by a wave. The guys were trying out stunts like figure of 8 going arround in circles. This was going on for about an hour, may be they took a turn too tight and the vehicle toppled. could be because of overheating of engine in low gear? the fire started in the engine compartment the moment it toppled and then spread t nearby areas. the max my staff could do was pull out the occupants trapped inside. the persons inside two girls and two boys just had minor bruises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
people have no knowledge about tides. At this beach the diference between hightide and low tide level is about 300 - 400 mtrs. Eg. the water touches the rocks and a person has to walk about 300 - 400 mts to reach the water during low tide.

Getting out of wet sand is very different as compared to normal muck. The best solution we have found is to tow the vehicle and request by standers to push the stuck vehicle instead of using engine power.

stones and planks are of little use as they sink in. Eg if you stand with your feet in the sand you find the waves eroding the sand around you and your feet sinking deep in. imagine this with the weight of the car

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th March 2015 at 17:06. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks!
architkarpe is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 17:03   #17435
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
No amount of safety features can save you from such a crash.
Usually the statement you've made holds true when it's used, but i can't help but think an under-ride bar on the bus could have saved everyones lives (provided they were belted up) in this case.

Link

Quote:
I stay near the beach in Alibag, Maharashtra.
Wow, that's quite a collection!!

In what span of time did you take all these pics?
Old 24th March 2015, 17:18   #17436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Utter stupidity. Anyone washing or driving in salt water is crazy: it will destroy their car.
Oh no! not all, check this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ve-report.html
Old 24th March 2015, 17:48   #17437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Usually the statement you've made holds true when it's used, but i can't help but think an under-ride bar on the bus could have saved everyones lives (provided they were belted up) in this case.

Hmm... looking at the damage the car has suffered, I do not think an under-run bar would have saved lives here, besides the bus chassis isn't very high.

Given the speed this car seems to have been travelling at, even if there was an under-run bar I do not think it would have taken such an impact.
Old 24th March 2015, 20:08   #17438
BHPian

Saw an accident today around 4 pm on a road near my college,happened just in front of me. Saw an alto speeding and spinning uncontrollably just as i turned right on that road. The alto went totally out of control and came into my lane 100 mts ahead of me and its rear end smashed on the pavement and the car turned to rest on its driver's side. Parked my car on the side and with the hep of few people managed to turn the car back and helped everyone get out.
Apparently, there were 4 people in the car , all my age , a boy and a girl at the front and same at the back , and I presume he was showing off , hence the speed. Lucky for them the car hit the pavement from the rear, and none of the occupants were hurt. None was wearing a seatbelt, wonder what would have happened had the impact been a frontal one.
Such stupid and reckless students.
akhil994 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 21:30   #17439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Brilliant pictures of what must have been a wonderful day, but I hoped people rinsed off with fresh water afterwards. Salt and steel do not go well together. Salt and electrics is a very bad mix.

Moving on...

Dad-Girl Duo Die as Bike Hits Lorry; Wife, Son escape
. (New Indian Express)
Quote:
CHENNAI: A 32-year-old man and his seven-year-old daughter were killed, while his wife and three-year-old son miraculously escaped with minor injuries in a road accident when the motorbike they were traveling on rammed into a truck on Ponneri Outer Ring road on Sunday evening.

... ... ...

Near Kondakarai village in Thiruvottiyur, they were following a container truck in front of them when all of a sudden it came to a sudden halt.
Lakshmanan who was trailing the truck closely rammed into the rear of the container truck. All four were thrown off the bike onto the road in the impact.

... ... ...

The truck driver abandoned the vehicle and remains at large. Minjur Police have registered a case against him and have launched a manhunt to trace him.
Four people on bike. Driver tailgates truck, rams it, killing half of the family. Stupidity leads to tragedy.

Police are hunting the truck driver;
tragedy leads to stupidity.

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 09:23   #17440
BHPian

Quote:

More than their cars or lives I am concerned about the ecological damage they are doing to their own shores. Atleast, Africa does a better job of not following our route.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-beach.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-zanzibarbeachlowtide.jpg  

Last edited by aerohit : 25th March 2015 at 09:27.
Old 25th March 2015, 12:07   #17441
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Rehaan, although I do agree that under-run protection bar would be necessary for trucks and trailers, in case of buses, the chassis itself is low slung and adding an under-run bar would make it scrape the speed breakers rendering it useless over the long run.

For buses, something like this would be more suited I reckon:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn0060.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tlink_9469rear.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn0062.jpg
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 12:20   #17442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Rehaan, although I do agree that under-run protection bar would be necessary for trucks and trailers, in case of buses, the chassis itself is low slung and adding an under-run bar would make it scrape the speed breakers rendering it useless over the long run.
These are limited to our tier-1 cities. Everywhere else, buses are still the old kinds, built up on truck chasis - exactly like the one involved in this crash. These should have under-run protection bars. The metal sheets hanging at the back give a false impression (it's usually hollow space just behind these panels) and offer no resistance, resulting in the lower vehicles going straight under until the A-pillars or the roof hits the chassis long members sitting much higher.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 12:28   #17443
Distinguished - BHPian

Low floor buses do have similar design but rest - same old story. Changing/adding these features to existing buses will be next to impossible here where safety is of least priority. Kerala government had come up with a rule of adding doors to all existing private buses and the effects can be expected - strike. And now, after the budget, they are deciding to change the color of the bus. As if that was very much important. I wish lot of low floor buses will hit the street.
Old 25th March 2015, 12:44   #17444
BHPian

Although I have posted this picture in some other thread, I like to share it on this relevant thread. I saw this accident a few days ago while I was driving towards Deoghar (in Jharkhand) from Bhagalpur (Bihar). The load of the vehicle fell down from the still standing truck.

As per information I came to know, it was an unfortunate ten year boy who had to suffer for this incident and one of his leg had to be amputated.
Old 25th March 2015, 13:15   #17445
BHPian

Another accident involving minors who had sneaked out in the night to have a bash! totally unfortunate -

Source: TOI

NEW DELHI: A late-night joyride went horribly wrong for two minors in south Delhi when the 17-old-year boy at the wheel lost control of the speeding car and smashed into a tree, killing his 16-year-old friend and leaving him with serious head injuries early Friday morning.

Police said the boy had sneaked out in his father's Maruti Zen after his parents had gone to bed and asked the girl next door to accompany him. The two had just taken their Class X exams and went out without telling their parents. Their fathers were colleagues at Air India and both families lived in the company-owned quarters in Vasant Vihar.

The two drove out of Air India Colony around 12.30am through Poorvi Marg and sped towards the Outer Ring Road. Eyewitness told the cops that the car lost control once they reached D-block Vasant Vihar near Paschimi Marg and sped towards a wall. In a bid to avoid hitting the wall, the boy took a sharp right turn and rammed a tree.

"The left side of the vehicle was crushed like a tin can the moment it hit the tree and came to a stop," said Santha Chhetri, a security guard in the area.

Hearing the crash, residents rushed to the spot and informed police. Fire officials were called in to rescue the two from the mangled vehicle. They were taken to the AIIMS trauma centre where the girl was declared dead on arrival and boy was said to be serious.

The boy's father, who works as an engineering manager with the airline, told the cops that his son had gone to bed around 11.30am, but later crept out of the house without their knowledge. He said he did not realize that his son was gone until they received a call from the police.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks