Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2015, 17:02   #17461
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Just read in today's TOI that a biker who stopped on the highway to answer a call got hit by the car ... ... ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I am in no way defending or condoning the reckless driving of the car's driver but we often see bikers stop and hang out in the side lanes of major roads and highways even at night without any lights. ... ... ...
I've quoted these two posts and continued on here which might be more appropriate for ongoing discussion
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 20:51   #17462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
These were people from hometown. Very very sad news. Markets were closed for a day. ....

...Despite several incidents in past, my town doesn't learn it.
Everyone will mourn and will still keep driving recklessly.

I want to do something about this and want to educate people out there. Can anyone please help me with the ideas?
For starters, you can make your near and dear ones aware of the incident and preach some basic driving rules. You can also do some research and identify the accident prone areas in your neighborhood and raise some concern with the authorities/administration as well as educate the people about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
I can't seem to get over the fact that some of the victims were legitimately waiting at the red signal / moving in green signal. Don't know what more could a 2 wheeler rider do to safeguard himself?
Though, no sympathies for 2 wheeler riders jumping the signal and justifiably paying the price!
The guy at 0:14 intentionally seems to have intentionally laid down before the bus pointing to a suicide attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
This happened on one of the prominent roads in Surat city (Udhna-Magdalla road).

Attachment 1354127
Don't mean to hurt the religious sentiments of anyone but goes to show that having an idol of a deity on your dash doesn't make your car invulnerable.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 31st March 2015 at 11:42. Reason: Removed video embed from quoted post for benefit of mobile users.
Old 3rd April 2015, 10:48   #17463
Senior - BHPian

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i.../46791325.cms?

Whole article:
Quote:
Nine people were killed when a sports utility vehicle they were travelling in collided with a truck near Sempatti in the Dindigul district of Tamil Nadu in the wee hours of Friday.

Police said ten people were returning from Kodaikanal to Aravakurichi when their Toyota Qualis collided head-on with a truck going to Kerala.

Nine persons died on the spot while a man, who suffered serious injuries, was admitted to Dindigul Government Hospital. The deceased and the injured were yet to be identified.

The truck driver escaped from the spot after the accident.

Police sources said over-speeding could be the reason for the accident.

The Sempatti police registered a case.
Old 3rd April 2015, 11:25   #17464
BHPian

This one does not have crash pictures but a sad story that I thought would be good to share here.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/115040...p#.VR4pKfyCli8

When an accident takes place, especially in India, the onlookers tend to avoid getting invloved and helping people in need. Also, as to what I hear, cops/the mob makes life miserable for people trying to give a helping hand. Is this always true? How can one help without being caught up in unnecessary hassle.
navsjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 17:06   #17465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navsjab View Post
http://www.telegraphindia.com/115040...p#.VR4pKfyCli8

When an accident takes place, especially in India, the onlookers tend to avoid getting invloved and helping people in need. Also, as to what I hear, cops/the mob makes life miserable for people trying to give a helping hand. Is this always true? How can one help without being caught up in unnecessary hassle.
This is wrong at so many levels:

"This jeep is meant for highway patrol and we didn't have permission to take the accident victim to a hospital so far away. What if another accident had taken place there after some time?"
Old 3rd April 2015, 17:23   #17466
Senior - BHPian

I had a share of mine yesterday on the Mysuru road in Bengaluru.

I had picked up my son's bicycle from Decathlon on the Mysuru raod at 1500hrs yesterday and rode down to my home. While driving, I was forced off the road by a BMTC bus who came too close to my comfort. I immediately slowed down as I found myself on the gravel. The moment the bus got through a biker immediately zipped between me and the bus on the gravel. As fate would have had it, the biker skidded and fell down, the length of the bike blocking me. I swerved immediately to my left and braked on the banking of mud. Unfortunately I missed my step on the landing and I fell down. I was knocked out for a few seconds. When I regained my senses, I found my head had hit the handlebar of the bike which had blanked me. Luckily no major injuries to anyone involved. Just a few bruised skin and ego for the biker.
Old 4th April 2015, 00:18   #17467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post

I had picked up my son's bicycle from Decathlon on the Mysuru raod at 1500hrs yesterday and rode down to my home. While driving, I was forced off the road by a BMTC bus who came too close to my comfort. I immediately slowed down as I found myself on the gravel. The moment the bus got through a biker immediately zipped between me and the bus on the gravel. As fate would have had it, the biker skidded and fell down, the length of the bike blocking me. I swerved immediately to my left and braked on the banking of mud. Unfortunately I missed my step on the landing and I fell down. I was knocked out for a few seconds. When I regained my senses, I found my head had hit the handlebar of the bike which had blanked me. Luckily no major injuries to anyone involved. Just a few bruised skin and ego for the biker.
Were you not wearing a helmet?
Old 4th April 2015, 05:19   #17468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser View Post
Were you not wearing a helmet?
I was. The handlebar hit my temple and dislodged the helmet. Although the speed was negligible and safety observed, the damage was done. This is what I wanted to highlight here.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 06:19   #17469
BHPian

Quote:
Thank God you're safe sir. This is what matters the most. Take care.

Regards,
Swapnil
Swapnil_Alto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 09:41   #17470
Senior - BHPian

Sent by my friend yesterday. A private bus fell on its side after a overtaking gone wrong. The incident happened on the ORR after the bus overtook a car and hit the median.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150403wa0017.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150403wa0019.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150403wa0021.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150404wa0000.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150404wa0001.jpg
Old 4th April 2015, 11:44   #17471
BHPian

^^ This accident took place last evening before start of Intel flyover while going towards Silk Board. Very slow moving traffic resulted from Marathalli onwards. I was stuck near Cessna tech park for 15-20 mins (I was going to Bellandur Central to watch a movie at 9-30 PM; reached 10 minutes late and thankfully avoided those annoying commercials & trailers )
Old 4th April 2015, 18:55   #17472
Senior - BHPian

Mysuru road claims another victim in a road accident near Maddur. A biker died when he came under a truck's wheel. Gory sight. People who are not comfortable with such scenes, please do not view the picture attached.

Last edited by mobike008 : 4th April 2015 at 23:19. Reason: Removing the picture. Too gory
Old 4th April 2015, 20:11   #17473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mysuru road claims another victim in a road accident near Maddur. A biker died when he came under a truck's wheel. Gory sight. People who are not comfortable with such scenes, please do not view the picture attached.
Quite horrifying sight indeed. The bike seems to be intact (at least in this picture). It seems he was thrown off from the bike and came under the truck's rear wheels. I guess there he was not wearing a helmet, ortherwise there could have been some chances of his survival.
Old 4th April 2015, 20:19   #17474
BHPian

My personal observation is that pedestrians and bikers have gradually, through recent years become very unruly and irresponsible especially in bigger cities. One disturbing trend seen in mostly metros is people deliberately look the other way after seeing a speeding vehicle and continue to cross the road! Blame it on overcrowdedness or whatever, but hey, I mean, it's your life you have to care about while crossing. Why should the motorist look out for your life? Who is more responsible for your life? The motorist or you yourself? Of course the motorist will do his/her bit but suppose he missed out then who's bones are getting broken? Or worse, who's life is more at stake? Even others are at risk of getting hurt due to some stupid pedestrian happily jaywalking around. No offence.
pixantz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 11:04   #17475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
My personal observation is that pedestrians and bikers have gradually, through recent years become very unruly and irresponsible especially in bigger cities. One disturbing trend seen in mostly metros is people deliberately look the other way after seeing a speeding vehicle and continue to cross the road! Blame it on overcrowdedness or whatever, but hey, I mean, it's your life you have to care about while crossing. Why should the motorist look out for your life? Who is more responsible for your life? The motorist or you yourself? Of course the motorist will do his/her bit but suppose he missed out then who's bones are getting broken? Or worse, who's life is more at stake? Even others are at risk of getting hurt due to some stupid pedestrian happily jaywalking around. No offence.

That's because pedestrians aren't provided with the necessary infrastructure. I drive and walk on the same street. Given that I have to share the same infrastructure with cars, I think it makes sense for cars to maintain lower speeds and extra caution. I've come so very close to running over a kid who just decided to run across the street. Couldn't touch the car for a few days. I want to speak rules, but instead I just drive slower.

Jaywalking is as stupid as a driver who thinks he owns the road, because he spent so many lakhs on so many horsepower which is superior to so many. Noticing an oncoming vehicle and yet crossing the road is just poor attitude, just like the biker who decides to suddenly cross your way. The only one stop solution for all this is - chill out with your music or conversation and drive slow, expecting the nonsense all the way and all the time. Just my 2 cents.
carrerastrax is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed