Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2015, 18:01   #18481
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
I hope you understood what you have told. My intention is clear here, to tell the actual story. A goofed up figure of 8 was right but my actual figures are seen as a grave mistake. I do respect not just t bhp rules but everything around me.
Please! There is no need to remind me of what I have posted. I respect your intention to post only what is true and when I said I hoped folks understood where I was coming from, I also meant that you not take any personal offence from my post. I am not arguing whether what you posted is correct or not but merely trying to point out here that the manner in which you made you posts is simply not in tune with the decorum such a thread deserves; we cannot refer to human loss on this thread as "goofed up figure" "actual figures" and "just 4" etc. That is extremely insensitive and while the forum rules may not cover this, I still feel that we must all maintain a certain decorum on a thread such as this.

Last edited by GTO : 24th August 2015 at 14:08. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 22nd August 2015, 18:23   #18482
Senior - BHPian

Why not just let it slide? A wrong figure was corrected with a more detailed account. Why get so touchy about it?
honeybee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 19:58   #18483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Why not just let it slide? A wrong figure was corrected with a more detailed account. Why get so touchy about it?
Because respect and etiquette aren't values one needs to be touchy to observe. I am not at all saying one ought to face action for such language simply pointing out something inappropriate. What if one of the victim's friends or relations reads such posts? Anyway, I said what I had to, and I really don't believe that I need to defend my stance now.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 22nd August 2015 at 20:04.
Old 22nd August 2015, 23:32   #18484
Senior - BHPian

It's not about defending something, but I think the reaction was a bit over the top. While loss of lives is always a serious matter, the facts too need to be recorded correctly.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 23:51   #18485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Because respect and etiquette aren't values one needs to be touchy to observe. I am not at all saying one ought to face action for such language simply pointing out something inappropriate. What if one of the victim's friends or relations reads such posts? Anyway, I said what I had to, and I really don't believe that I need to defend my stance now.
If only you had limited your first post to it's first paragraph ! I couldn't find anything wrong in the post in discussion except probably the usage of the phrase "just 4". I think his only motive was to correct the facts. I do not think there was any intention to judge or demean any lives. Even if you thought otherwise, you could have put it in better words too IMHO. I understand and respect your intentions but there wasn't any need to be that critical.
sbkumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 00:51   #18486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
This is where the police needed some education. there are times you need to call of chase to catch them alive. In US the cops can be sued if this happened because of the chase. Motorcycles are usually not part of a chase and capture in the US most of the times. Its better to wait for the hooligans to stop and plan for capture based on license plates, camera or even a safer way of chasing.

The same reason sometimes a chopper chases a bike and not cars or motorcycle in many parts of US is to avoid enabling the hooligans to make an unneccessary mistake.
Incorrect. US police has a strong chase at all cost policy. There have been multiple accidents beacuse of such chases but that policy remains even for minor offences. It is a bad policy as it would be easier or more prudent to catch people later on for minor offences.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 16:28   #18487
Senior - BHPian

From HRTC Facebook :

Quote:
2 die and 7 injured as HRTC's Delhi-McLeodganj substitute bus met with an accident-
The bus belonged to Ten travels (DL 1P C 3044) and was running in replacement on the older Volvo on Delhi-McLeodganj route. The bus departed Delhi ISBT at 8:06 pm and hit a truck around 3:30 am today near Anandpur Sahib. The condcutor (Anil Dhiman) and a lady passengers sitting behind him died on the spot while 7 others were injured.
RIP!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hrtc.jpg  

Last edited by sdp1975 : 23rd August 2015 at 16:33.
Old 24th August 2015, 11:18   #18488
BHPian

While returning from Delhi yesterday night, encountered this quite silly and horrific accident.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150823_212430.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150823_212346.jpg

There was slow moving traffic on Jaipur Delhi side so this bus came wrong side and rammed into the truck which was going to Jaipur on a bridge. The bus also damaged the side protection bar as i tried to squeeze as far right as possible. The poor truck driver got hit for no fault of his.

Due to the accident, only one lane on the bridge was open for traffic due to which the traffic became slow on Delhi Jaipur side also.

The bus driver probably wanted to save few minutes but he managed to waste many hours of many people not to mention the loss to the state and the truck owner.

If I were the MD of Chandigarh Roadways, I would terminate the services of the driver immediately in addition to slapping a criminal case from the state's side for endagering the life and property of all the passengers.

Apologies for the low quality of the pics clicked by mobile. It was quite dark and I was in a hurry to get back to my car.
autobahnjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 11:34   #18489
Senior - BHPian

Lorry rams into Bangalore-Nanded Express; Congress MLA among 5 killed

A very unfortunate accident.
Quote:
Five persons including Karnataka Congress MLA Venkatesh Naik from Devdurg, were killed when a granite-laden truck collided with the Bengaluru-Nanded Express today early morning at a level crossing in Anantapur District.

Anantapur Police said that five passengers in the H1 compartment including MLA Naik and the helper in the truck died. “The truck driver jumped out seconds before the impact and fell unconcious but survived and he has been questioned. The truck could not stop as the brakes failed. The death toll is 6,” additional SP K Malyadri said.

The incident occurred at 2:23 am near Penukonda when the truck driver crashed through the gate and collided with the train, which caused three coaches to derail.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-24lead1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-368605trainaccident.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nanded.jpg
Old 24th August 2015, 13:38   #18490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
There was slow moving traffic on Jaipur Delhi side so this bus came wrong side and rammed into the truck which was going to Jaipur on a bridge.
The bus driver probably wanted to save few minutes
I would terminate the services of the driver immediately in addition to slapping a criminal case from the state's side for endagering the life and property of all the passengers.
The infamous Haryana roadways! They don't have any regard for life or traffic rules and drive like absolute maniacs. Tailgating with horns/lights blaring in mildly slow moving traffic! I now usually slow down the moment I see them anywhere near me.

+1 to your suggestion - they should probably charge him with an attempt to murder as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Freaky!! The truck must have been travelling at good speeds to crash through the barrier and still have enough momentum to cause such damage and derail the coaches.

Brake failed - most common excuse used by truckers after hitting someone, running someone over.
Old 24th August 2015, 13:48   #18491
Senior - BHPian

The truck was carrying a huge block of rock which are often seen on flat bed trucks. They are normally not seen tied down because of the bulk, it stays put, unless of course in cases like these.

My guess is the approach to the gate was a slope which are plenty in Penukonda region , and the momentum with the block of rock would have made the impact bad. There is a news clip showing the truck and the only part left is the flat bed which means the rock would have smashed through the cab into the train coach.

Weirdly, that line is known for level crossing accidents , but with un-manned ones.
Old 24th August 2015, 14:09   #18492
BHPian

Just in : Lamborghini catches fire in Delhi. Noone injured but car is a total loss.

http://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/rs-2-...-lateststories
Old 24th August 2015, 14:58   #18493
BHPian

Was involved in a rear ending incident last evening. This happened at Bunt's Hostel, Mangalore. I was driving towards PVS Circle when an elderly couple in an Activa suddenly cut across in front of me from a bylane in the left and then proceeded to get in front of me, then again in an attempt to avoid an pothole veered to the extreme right almost losing balance and falling over in front of my car. I was doing may be around 30 kph and had slowed down considerably and was able to brake without panic. An Alto behind me too had slowed down and stopped. But, an Express Bus plying to Udupi which was behind the Alto and probably tailgating him, did not take notice and rammed into the back of the Alto and the Alto in turn rear ended my car. The driver of the Alto was a young guy, and was in a bit of panic and was profusely apologizing. I got out and told him that it was not actually his fault. Attaching the pictures.

My Polo, the rear bumper of which actually took the impact well. Not much damage, only a hairline fracture which can be seen on close inspection. No clips or screws holding the rear bumper or any part of the hatch were damaged. Actually this experience does show the usefulness of a protruding rear bumper - mainly discussed in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...s-useless.html

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-1.jpg

The Alto on the other hand was not so fortunate.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-2.jpg

Damages to the front bumper, hood of the Alto.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-3.jpg

The culprit.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-4.jpg

I did not plan on claiming insurance for such minimal damage, but chose to stick around till the police arrived and since the Alto guy did not have much knowledge or experience dealing with the rampant bus drivers and their antics. There was Police Constable stationed at a nearby circle about 100 mtrs from the spot, but when told about the incident he simply asked both the Bus & Alto drivers to take their vehicles to the police station. He did not come to the spot at all. The Bus driver & conductor were starting to impose their will on the poor Alto driver. So I called up my uncle who is well versed in these matters and also asked the Alto driver to call up any of his contacts. Once the contacts arrived, they called up the local MLA, and he in turn instructed the Police to take action. Within 5 minutes, the place was sprawling with Policemen. They finally took both vehicles to the Traffic Police Station, and I gave my contact number to the Alto guy if he needs any assistance from me or my Uncle.
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 15:08   #18494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Prasad View Post

But, an Express Bus plying to Udupi which was behind the Alto and probably tailgating him, did not take notice and rammed into the back of the Alto and the Alto in turn rear ended my car.
These buses are very notorious. They can put to shame even the rally drivers. During my stay in Manipal from 1999 to 2008, I had numerous travel experience on these flying buses. On my last visit in 2012, I saw them getting afraid of only the intercity KSRTC Volvos. Good that you stayed put to help him.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 15:20   #18495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Truly tragic one. On the other hand I am really surprised as to the extent of damage the train has suffered due to the lorry collision. I was under the impression that the steel coaches are robust enough. But to see the lorry literally plunge into the coaches, I am aghast.

Most Viewed