Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2015, 01:37   #18721
Senior - BHPian

The car looks badly damaged also because most probably the doors and other sheet metal may have been cut open to extract any occupants.
Old 28th September 2015, 04:46   #18722
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

No information - the car was just lying there. From a common walk-around the consensus was that there was likely only the driver - since only the driver airbag had any blood. But since the seat / interior was clean save for the airbag blood, there was a reasonable chance the driver survived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
From the pictures, I guess the car is a relatively new vehicle (covers haven't been removed from the rear neckrests + new alloy design I think). This looks like it hit that truck in the rightmost lane and hit the divider together (after and due to the first impact) as there is no way it could jump over to this lane after hitting a truck with that speed.

How can a truck be stationary on that lane?

Any clue about the state of the occupants? The car looks badly damaged - torn roof, missing bumpers, engine bay, fenders and look at that dent caused (possibly) by the rear door (upper) edge on the roof!
It looks like they rear ended a stationary truck WITH under run protection bars at high speed, which would account for the RHS wheel resting at the divider - note that the deformation of the passenger cabin is due to rotational forces and not only compressional forces.

Had the truck not had under-run bars, the engine compartment would have been undamaged. That probably saved the driver or gave him/her a few more hours of life. God only knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The car looks badly damaged also because most probably the doors and other sheet metal may have been cut open to extract any occupants.
+1 - The roof was cut open per locals.

Last edited by GTO : 28th September 2015 at 08:24. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 28th September 2015, 07:14   #18723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Unfortunately, Speed is the most critical aspect in most accidents.

However good a driver maybe, the human brain reaction time to just realize and respond to any situation is between 150 to 250 milliseconds (1/4th of a second) That's the physical limitation for humans.
Also most of the times when the vehicle is fully loaded, the driver tends to go fast even when it happens to be raining. People should realize it is a combination of road surface, payload, speed of the vehicle and the reaction time that play a crucial role in determining the stopping distance of the vehicle
Old 28th September 2015, 08:15   #18724
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 28th September 2015 at 08:26.
Aakarsh is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th September 2015, 08:22   #18725
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't think this video has been shared before? Gosh, the bus <-> Scorpio crash is just horrific!

GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 08:59   #18726
Senior - BHPian

@GTO More than the scorpio i think the Innova incident is something we need to look at. The difference between stock car bumbers and having bull bar. The girl will live and she already stood up. Even at that speed the front bumper and the way she gets thrown into the car makes it a life saver to me.

I am not sure if the bull bar would have had the same effect and may have actually thrown her out breaking her legs and hips.

Again this is my take.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 09:28   #18727
Senior - BHPian

And we shall quickly blame the motorists!

It's high time pedestrians too are made accountable for their irresponsible road use.

Other accidents again seem to be a direct cause of high speeds. People do not have the reflexes to react to situations at expressway speeds.
honeybee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 10:02   #18728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't think this video has been shared before? Gosh, the bus <-> Scorpio crash is just horrific!
On the Scorpio accident, God knows why the Ritz guy is halted right in the middle, even if there was an emergency, he should have had the hazard lights on. I am not defending the bus driver here, He is to be blamed for sure for not keeping safe distance enough to brake in case of emergency . And the Scorpio for no fault takes the major blow.

The bus which hit was looks like a tractor ran away? Also the Innova/Mobilio which hit the lady too ran away without stopping, what goes into their mind while escaping?
Old 28th September 2015, 10:51   #18729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Also most of the times when the vehicle is fully loaded, the driver tends to go fast even when it happens to be raining. People should realize it is a combination of road surface, payload, speed of the vehicle and the reaction time that play a crucial role in determining the stopping distance of the vehicle
Would somebody please make our office cab driver understand this? He tends to go more faster and becomes extremely reckless when it starts raining. He starts cutting off every other guy and thinks that he's the King of the Road.., which he can never be in reality. Many a times, he has avoided rear-ending some other vehicle by a hair's length. It won't be long until he gets into one of those nasty accidents and I just hope I'm not with him when that happens
vnidta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 11:15   #18730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by karts View Post
On the Scorpio accident, God knows why the Ritz guy is halted right in the middle, even if there was an emergency, he should have had the hazard lights on. I am not defending the bus driver here, He is to be blamed for sure for not keeping safe distance enough to brake in case of emergency . And the Scorpio for no fault takes the major blow.
That Scorpio - Ritz crash looks more like a Road Rage gone awry ! How dare the Scorpio didn't give way to the Ritz ? Now that the Ritz is in front, block the Scorpio, bring out your gun, machette and threaten the Scorpio ! Boom, rams a bus which is coming from behind ! Welcome to NCR.

Offtopic - Witnessed a few cases like this in Bangalore too, except that I had to hard brake not to ram (like the bus) into the Indicab ahead !!

Quote:
The bus which hit was looks like a tractor ran away? Also the Innova/Mobilio which hit the lady too ran away without stopping, what goes into their mind while escaping?
They didn't run away, more likely taking time to come to a halt. The clippings abruptly cut off and doesn't completely show what happens next.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 11:19   #18731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karts View Post
On the Scorpio accident, God knows why the Ritz guy is halted right in the middle, even if there was an emergency, he should have had the hazard lights on.
To me it looked like a probable road rage incident. You see the way the Ritz just comes to a halt blocking the Scorpio and just as the bus rams into the Scorpio you can see the driver of Ritz opens his door to get out, possibly to confront the Scorpio driver.

Here I would say both the Scorpio and the bus driver were involved in this accident for no fault of theirs. Yes, even though going by the rules the bus driver can be blamed for rear ending. We should realize its not possible to bring that behemoth to a halt in such a short distance.

The lady got hit by a Honda Mobilio. Now that Mobilio guy might have got harassed for no fault if his.
Old 28th September 2015, 11:37   #18732
Senior - BHPian

This is the reason we need more education amongst drivers. While debating who's at fault, at times we ignore the damage. Even if a car is at fault and rear-ends me when I'm stopped for a red light, I'll be the one who'll be sitting in hospital. I think the police should start registering such cases as culpable homicide not amounting to murder. This way at least the fear of law might invoke sensible driving habits.

OT- the police should read Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point. The way New York subway reduced crimes and fare beatings is amazing.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 11:40   #18733
Senior - BHPian

I have seen this video earlier also on you tube. Scorpio guy gets sandwiched for no fault of his due to the moron in Ritz. Bus driver is completely at fault as he didn't seem to be paying attention to Scorpio getting stopped.

That lady got what she deserved. It's high time people need to learn how to cross roads and Highway is not your playground.
Old 28th September 2015, 12:04   #18734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
To me it looked like a probable road rage incident. You see the way the Ritz just comes to a halt blocking the Scorpio and just as the bus rams into the Scorpio you can see the driver of Ritz opens his door to get out, possibly to confront the Scorpio driver.

Here I would say both the Scorpio and the bus driver were involved in this accident for no fault of theirs. Yes, even though going by the rules the bus driver can be blamed for rear ending. We should realize its not possible to bring that behemoth to a halt in such a short distance.
Hello Shanksta,
I agree with you that the Ritz shall not have stopped right in the middle, blocking the Scorpio.

But the bus driver is at fault for ramming into the Scorpio from a considerable distance. If you play the video frame by frame, you will notice that the bus driver had a considerable distance to stop his bus. Probably he was not focusing completely on the road or his reflexes were toooooo slow, maybe because of sleep deprivation.

Pl refer to the attached picture, which shows that the bus was far behind.

Quote:
The white car hitting the two wheeler on its left side at 00:20 sec in the video:

It looks that the white car wanted to turn left; it decided to turn little late. And the driver either did not see in the ORVM / IRVM or the two wheeler was in the blind spot.

The PatchyBoy's thread about correct adjustment of mirror is really an eye opener. Recommend everyone to read it patiently and completely.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3803464
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bus-scorpio.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th September 2015 at 16:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 12:18   #18735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hello Shanksta,
I agree with you that the Ritz shall not have stopped right in the middle, blocking the Scorpio.

But the bus driver is at fault for ramming into the Scorpio from a considerable distance. If you play the video frame by frame, you will notice that the bus driver had a considerable distance to stop his bus. Probably he was not focusing completely on the road or his reflexes were toooooo slow, maybe because of sleep deprivation.

Pl refer to the attached picture, which shows that the bus was far behind.
Yes , the bus could've also swerved after slowing down behind the innova. I actually noticed this while watching it again. My edit time was up before I could change the post.

It also doesn't look like the bus driver made a effort to slow down. But still when I see that clipping my blood boils thinking of the guy driving the Ritz.

EDIT: looking at the video again doesn't even look like the bus driver was concentrating on the road!

Last edited by Shanksta : 28th September 2015 at 12:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks