Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2016, 22:19   #19996
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
"SPEEDING" is a highly funny and idiotic word, which is freely abused by each and everyone, from us, to victims, to media to cops

Sample this stupid use of SPEEDING:
Source:
For heaven's sake, how can a train speed ? Doesn't it have set speed limits ? Now a train cannot suddenly cut down its speed to save the victims, can it ? So the locomotive driver gets charged under Speeding ! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I think you misunderstood. The way i read it is that the train was an express, running at high speed. There is no hidden meaning or direction to say the train was wrong.

A speeding train simply means the accident happened at high speed. But i may be wrong for thats how i read that statement.
As rightly said by VW2010, a speeding train means a train running at high speed. Its almost always written in that manner for trains.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 01:21   #19997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I think you misunderstood. The way i read it is that the train was an express, running at high speed. There is no hidden meaning or direction to say the train was wrong.

A speeding train simply means the accident happened at high speed. But i may be wrong for thats how i read that statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
As rightly said by VW2010, a speeding train means a train running at high speed. Its almost always written in that manner for trains.
You folks could be, I am no expert in trains terminology. So I rest that to knowledgeable people.
My point was sensationalizing of the matter by media. Using words like "speeding", "rashly driven", "out of control" by the media makes our thoughts biased. We tend to go with the flow of the news article.
A speeding car rams a pedestrian doesn't necessarily mean it was 'speeding' at 100 kmph. A 'speeding' 20kmph car can also kill a pedestrian.

In Bangalore, after a spate of accidents of pedestrians, traffic cops started booking Jaywalking Pedestrians. I am sure not every pedestrian is a noble soul.
Lets see what the report comes, whether the driven was DUI, or if the speedometer console was stuck at a speed greater than the limit, etc. Someone driving an Audi can be an influential person, so the report can be altered too. Don't have much faith on law as well.
But as a mature forum, we should not be passing judgments based on the class of vehicle or the class of victim.
Old 4th March 2016, 10:08   #19998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
So lets hold our horses and not make sweeping statements.
CDM
I am in consent with you here.

Vik0728 also had a valid line of argument that rich and famous in such instances get bail much faster than the blink of eye, whereas a normal man even if not guilty has to bang his head for the same thing.

I think even i should have waited for detailed reports before putting the news up on this forum, which seems to prima facie put blame on the driver, without stating the facts. Apologies for that.

What actually made me put this issue on the forum was the sense of helplessness when the commanding officer of the deceased soldier wrote that he is in police station and this person has political links and likely to go scot free as police is under pressure. Again, this is as received.

Need of the hour is to see what really went wrong causing loss of life and after an unbiased investigation suitable action be initiated.

Last edited by nkghai : 4th March 2016 at 10:09.
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 13:00   #19999
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
"SPEEDING" is a highly funny and idiotic word, which is freely abused by each and everyone, from us, to victims, to media to cops

Sample this stupid use of SPEEDING:
Source:
For heaven's sake, how can a train speed ? Doesn't it have set speed limits ?
from the Pedants'R'Us Department...

Very much so, yes, and some major disasters have been caused by drivers exceeding them.

But media reporting of accidents is mostly just parroting the same words to fill the space. pick and combine from: speeding vehicle; due to fog; lost control of; was rammed by; and many more. The media reports are written by hacks who just decorate the event itself with a few words. The authors would not have even seen the accident spot, and only in the most major or, perhaps, celebrity-involved events, would they even have interviewed anyone who had.
Old 4th March 2016, 13:14   #20000
BANNED

Saw this accident today morning while coming to office. Bus hits backside of Etios in ORR, Hennur Under pass. Not able to capture the bus.
Excuses for Bad image clicked using my mobile.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_5581.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 5th March 2016 at 06:59. Reason: Correcting image orientation
Old 4th March 2016, 13:26   #20001
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
[i]speeding vehicle; due to fog; lost control of; was rammed by; and many more.
...and the most famous one that I often come across is due to tire burst.

So the speculation is always that the accident was due to a result of a tire burst but no one gives a thought that a tire can burst during an accident too.

I still recall how between Ahmedabad and Mehasana in Gujarat, I was driving an Indica and swerved to my right as an Autorickshaw suddenly decided to move out of its lane only because another Auto ahead of it made an abrupt stop to alight a passenger. I must be at 60kmph or even lesser and gaining speed but when my right hand side front tire rubbed the median, the tire immediately burst due to the heat & friction.
Old 4th March 2016, 17:38   #20002
BHPian

Accidents in India with Pictures

Another serious accident circulating in whatsapp:
3 students of a private Medical College in Chennai were killed on spot, when the Volvo SUV (claimed as one of the safest vehicle in the world) they were driving under influence (or intoxication rather) of alcohol, at apparently 200 kmph crashed in highway.

Attaching the pictures:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457092999.262653.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457093014.812727.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457092976.096715.jpg

I don't know how appropriate is the last picture due to it's gory nature. I am leaving it to the Mods to decide about that.

Some info about the deceased:
The driver was son of a distillery factory owner, while the rest two are his classmates. Apparently, he has allegedly crashed in a similiar way (intoxicated) two times in the past and despite that was presented with the Volvo by his parents.

So much for those who believe an airbag can do wonders however we drive!

Last edited by GTO : 5th March 2016 at 08:35. Reason: Removing one pic, thanks
printh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 17:47   #20003
Senior - BHPian

Not even one of the safest cars in the world can save clueless idiots from their stupidity.

These guys were apparently drunk and not wearing seatbelts. If they had worn seatbelts, they probably would have survived.

The XC60 is limited to 195KPH top speed from factory so I think the 200KPH thing is incorrect and someone's imagination.
reignofchaos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 18:00   #20004

Any car is only safe to drive if:

- you do not over speed unnecessarily
- not drink and drive.

If you combine both, it is just a disaster waiting to happen. I feel pity on parents who have the time to buy their kids cars but not educate them on the menace of drunk driving.
Moun10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 20:07   #20005
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moun10 View Post
.......you do not over speed unnecessarily
That word in bold is what gets most people killed.

There is absolutely no necessity to over-speed, PERIOD.

Speed should only be enjoyed in controlled environments, where the only person(s) at risk are those who explicitly signed up for it. One person's (over)confidence in his/her machine's and driving abilities shouldn't give him/her a right to put other public road users at risk.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th March 2016 at 20:11.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 21:12   #20006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
There is absolutely no necessity to over-speed, PERIOD.

Apparently, some drivers have overconfidence that just because they have couple of extra safety features in their car, they are immune to accident/injury

One key thing here is that manufacturers can not design safety to accommodate stupidity.
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 23:02   #20007
Distinguished - BHPian

To be fair, I am yet to meet or hear from a driver who drives badly thinking even if he had an accident his acronyms will keep him safe.
Every bad driver drives badly because he believes he can't crash as he was an the Stig's lost cousin.
Period.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 23:32   #20008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
To be fair, I am yet to meet or hear from a driver who drives badly thinking even if he had an accident his acronyms will keep him safe.

Yeah maybe most don't have that thought, but, I personally know 3 or 4 acquaintances who firmly argue ABS, airbags can save them even in crash where they over speed.

But I firmly second the next point - Almost 90% of the people who get into argument when I ask them to reduce speed/ not use mobile have one delusion - they have got the Lightning reflex to deal with any emergency situation.

For all practical purposes, I feel any car in/ below C+ segment should never cross 100 kmph and the cars above that segment, no matter how higher it's segment maybe, can relax that to a maximum of 120 kmph in 4 laned highways (read free highways with little/ sparse traffic). But practical things apart, better to stick to what law states= 100 kmph.
Old 5th March 2016, 00:55   #20009
Distinguished - BHPian

My juniors met with a very bad accident at around 8 pm yesterday on outskirts of mangalore. One guy was serious and still under observation post surgery. It was a Honda civic.

http://www.coastaldigest.com/index.php/news/84662-5-medical-students-injured-as-car-rams-into-electric-pole-after-dining-at-bar
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160304wa0039.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160304wa0041.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160304wa0043.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 5th March 2016 at 01:06.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 10:22   #20010
BHPian

Former director of TB Research institute Kumaraswami, three others die in TN road accident
VELLORE: Former director of the National Institute of Research in Tuberculosis Dr V Kumaraswami (66) and three others, including his wife Lakshmi (59) and mother V Kamalammai (85), died when a car they were travelling in hit a minivan on the Chennai- Bengaluru National Highway near Ambur on Friday afternoon.
Kumaraswami and his family were returning to Chennai from Bengaluru. When the car was nearing Thottalam village, one of its tyres burst. The driver of the car, Mohanraj (48), lost control of the vehicle, and it hit the road median, crossed the lane and collided with a minivan moving in the opposite direction, police said.
Kumaraswami and Mohanraj died on the spot.

Lakshmi and Kamalammai, who suffered serious injuries, were rushed to a private medical college in Vellore. However, they succumbed to their injuries later.
The Ambur taluk police registered a case and were investigating.
Source:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/51258069.cms

Last edited by virgopal : 5th March 2016 at 10:36. Reason: spelling corection

Most Viewed