Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2016, 07:35   #20086
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Six killed as SUV crashes into mini lorry: The accident happened after one of the tyres of the SUV had burst.

It's a Tata Safari.
That's a safari storme! Being a new storme owner myself, this is extremely concerning. The grille pattern isn't very clear to figure out if it's the refreshed one or the pre-2015 storme. Incase it's the refreshed one, a tyre burst within an year of use ?? Not sure what speeds was the storme doing.

I am going to be out on the highway in may on a long road trip in my storme and this has shaken me up a bit. On my Honda city I always ensured tyres were in top shape before any long drive and the Michelins never let me down there.

Prayers for the deceased souls and safe driving to all.

Last edited by Seek : 28th March 2016 at 07:36.
Old 28th March 2016, 07:56   #20087
BHPian

Doctor rams his Merc into three cars, two motorbikes, kills one in Bengaluru
Mar 28, 2016, 06.47 AM IST
Bengaluru: A doctor at the wheel of a brand new Merc mowed down a 52-year-old scooterist and injured four others, after ramming three cars and another two-wheeler in Jayanagar, south Bengaluru, on Sunday afternoon.
The Mercedes C 200 (KA 01 MR 9186) came to a halt after ploughing into a tile-roofed house on Byrasandra Main Road. All residents of the house, luckily, were away at the time of the incident. The sedan is an auto gear vehicle, police said.
The Sunday afternoon horror unravelled over a drive of around 2km, in a span of less around six minutes.
Initial medical tests on whether orthopaedician NS Shankar, 55, was drunk, were inconclusive, and police have sent his blood samples to the Forensic Sciences Laboratory for further tests, sources said.
Shankar's domestic help, Sarita, and her two-year-old child were with him in the car. The child suffered injuries.
Shankar, who runs Siddhartha Clinic in Jayanagar IV Block and is a resident of Vidyapeetha, Girinagar, first rammed a Maruti Swift near Ashoka Pillar but did not stop the car. Moving towards Madhavan Park, Shankar turned left after the park and hit a two-wheeler and two cars, an Indica and a Zen.
The doctor continued to drive and entered Byrasandra Main Road, where he rammed a scooter. With the scooterist clinging on to the bonnet, the Benz ploughed into a makeshift house on the left side of the road, where it ground to a halt.
Scooterist Rizwan Ahmed, 52, a tailor and Byrasandra resident, was killed on the spot, while his wife riding pillion, Mohsina Begum, was rushed to a private hospital with a fractured leg, and is under treatment.
Motorcyclist Majid Khan, 20, was treated as an outpatient at Nimhans, while Tanzeem Khanum, who was on the backseat of the Indica, was admitted to a private hospital nearby.
Siddapura police rushed to the spot and took the orthopaedician into custody. Shankar claimed he lost consciousness after he hit the Swift near Ashoka Pillar.
"All I remember is I dashed some vehicle. After that, I lost consciousness. I woke up when people began banging my door and shouting," he said. However, police refused to believe the doctor's claims.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/51578129.cms
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/51577712.cms

Last edited by virgopal : 28th March 2016 at 08:00. Reason: Added link
Old 28th March 2016, 08:06   #20088
Senior - BHPian

^^^^
News report and cctv footage of the same accident;

Old 28th March 2016, 08:21   #20089
BHPian

Not talking with reference to this case of the said person being a Doctor but in general.

It's a pity to See Such accidents by educated and well to do people, Especially those driving under Influence of Alcohol/ Any thing that induces a high.

When you take the wheel under the influence of anything means that you are consciously making a decision to do a mistake, although the same law would claim the person was of unsound mind cause of influence. The law and it's loopholes.

In this case we can't even claim inexperience as the said person is 50+ years old.
And taking the orthopaedician's side, he probably has seen a lot of accident cases in practice and hence wouldn't or atleast shouldn't have driven under influence but who am i to judge or stake a claim. can only pity the victims and the accused too.

Last edited by manjith_pm : 28th March 2016 at 08:22. Reason: typo
Old 28th March 2016, 09:48   #20090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek View Post
That's a safari storme! Being a new storme owner myself, this is extremely concerning. The grille pattern isn't very clear to figure out if it's the refreshed one or the pre-2015 storme. Incase it's the refreshed one, a tyre burst within an year of use ?? Not sure what speeds was the storme doing.

I am going to be out on the highway in may on a long road trip in my storme and this has shaken me up a bit. On my Honda city I always ensured tyres were in top shape before any long drive and the Michelins never let me down there.

This belonged to a colleague and a close friend of mine. Its a 2014 Storme LX. Confirmed to be a tyre burst. This safari had gone to places probably no other Safari has been.

His wife is alive but critical - now brought to Sakra hospital on ORR. Other 5 occupants are dead.

Last edited by Equus : 28th March 2016 at 10:08.
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 10:47   #20091
Distinguished - BHPian

Once a tyre bursts at high speed and/or the vehicle hits the median, then it is completely up to the grace of God. Here in India we have no run-off areas or wide shoulders and a lack of scientifically designed and built medians / armcos to stop the inevitable median jumping.

Add an unfortunate vehicle also doing 100 km/hr on the other side and even the best and safest of vehicles will look like the Storme after being t-boned.

May they RIP.
Old 28th March 2016, 11:12   #20092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Once a tyre bursts at high speed and/or the vehicle hits the median, then it is completely up to the grace of God. Here in India we have no run-off areas or wide shoulders and a lack of scientifically designed and built medians / armcos to stop the inevitable median jumping.

Add an unfortunate vehicle also doing 100 km/hr on the other side and even the best and safest of vehicles will look like the Storme after being t-boned.

May they RIP.
From the picture in the below news report, the left front tyre is blown out.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...cle3349802.ece

So this could have happened either due to the driver trying to over correct after tyre burst or first the driver lost control, climbed the median and the tyre burst due to subsequent forces involved . This again proves one should not drive your vehicle constantly in the right lane.

Last edited by poloman : 28th March 2016 at 11:15.
Old 28th March 2016, 11:13   #20093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Bengaluru: A doctor at the wheel of a brand new Merc mowed down a 52-year-old scooterist and injured four others, after ramming three cars and another two-wheeler in Jayanagar, south Bengaluru, on Sunday afternoon.
A possibility could be, that the Doctor was unfamiliar with the vehicle - this being his *new* purchase. I have often seen people bang their cars when they are not familiar with the vehicle or just new to driving. Either way, being a educated and respected citizen, he should have been more cautious.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 11:26   #20094
BHPian

Even if unfamiliar, he should've stopped after the "first" hit instead of making a hit & run.

Note: Yesterday turned out to be a grim day for Tamilnadu medical community, as two docs lost their life in two unrelated RTA. Adding to this, the suicide of another one made the toll 3.
Old 28th March 2016, 11:36   #20095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
A possibility could be, that the Doctor was unfamiliar with the vehicle - this being his *new* purchase. I have often seen people bang their cars when they are not familiar with the vehicle or just new to driving. Either way, being a educated and respected citizen, he should have been more cautious.
He was a very experienced driver with a few hundred thousand kms done.

Last edited by Equus : 28th March 2016 at 11:37.
Old 28th March 2016, 11:37   #20096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
From the picture in the below news report, the left front tyre is blown out.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...cle3349802.ece

So this could have happened either due to the driver trying to over correct after tyre burst or first the driver lost control, climbed the median and the tyre burst due to subsequent forces involved . This again proves one should not drive your vehicle constantly in the right lane.
Looks to be the left front from the picture. If it was the case of lost control and subsequent impact leading to tyre burst, mostly it should be the right front (which hits the median on right side first), but its very difficult to judge the actual situation. I'm wondering if it was due to the overreaction to the tyre burst situation? If its left front, the car will start pulling/going leftwards and if driver in panic, tried to pull it rightward, too much, added with breaking, leading it to hit the median/vehicle going extreme right etc. etc. again as I said, most of the times the actual situations remain different than what we speculate sitting here. I wish the family gets enough strength to bear the loss. Drive safe!
Old 28th March 2016, 12:38   #20097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek View Post

I read somewhere that a tyre burst can happen if they are over or under inflated in prolonged use. An older tyre may burst sooner than later.

I think it must be doing some good speed looking at the impact.

I am waiting for the ban to get over to get a Storme and now I too am worried after looking at this car. However, I am extremely annoyed with Michelins and will never ever buy them again. My new tyre (3000 km) almost burst yesterday after a 4"X1.5" large and blunt steel piece went thru the side wall on a highway.

All in all this is very scary accident for me to see.
Old 28th March 2016, 12:55   #20098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Six killed as SUV crashes into mini lorry: The accident happened after one of the tyres of the SUV had burst.

It's a Tata Safari.
In fact yesterday, we happened to cross the spot where the accident had occurred as we were returning from Coimbatore. But this spot was a junction with many shops and bus stops. Any sensible guy will slow down. I know a common friend of one of them who died who said that he was driving Safari Storme which is one year old. 6 people - 3 men and 3 Women - three couples were travelling in the car. Five perished and one lady is critical. Storme is a sturdy vehicle. Looking at the state of car, it may be possible that the guy may be driving very fast, lost control, touched the median and possibly as a result of brushing against median, the tyre would have burst. In all possibility, the people in rear seats would not have worn seat beats either.
Old 28th March 2016, 13:17   #20099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
He was a very experienced driver with a few hundred thousand kms done.
All these statistics coming out as of now makes this incident seem like a "Ghosts in the machine" scenario with the Merc having a mind of its own. :what: Capable driver, Capable car, lousy looking result? Or the doc is hiding something.
Old 28th March 2016, 13:50   #20100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I read somewhere that a tyre burst can happen if they are over or under inflated in prolonged use. An older tyre may burst sooner than later.

I think it must be doing some good speed looking at the impact.

I am waiting for the ban to get over to get a Storme and now I too am worried after looking at this car. However, I am extremely annoyed with Michelins and will never ever buy them again. My new tyre (3000 km) almost burst yesterday after a 4"X1.5" large and blunt steel piece went thru the side wall on a highway.

All in all this is very scary accident for me to see.

The biggest cause of tyre bursts is underinflation, that usually happens when lack of knowledge about cold and hot tyre pressures come in the picture. Don't we see so many people filling their tyres up on the petrol pumps at Mumbai - Pune expressway after they are doing filling Diesel. Imagine, driving at 100-120 and then immediately filling up your tyres to the cold tyre pressure in hot condition ? How much air you will be removing from your tyres and in a fully loaded SUV, you are building a script for a disaster. Heck there is a Nitrogen centre too which has come up at the COCO bunk before the first Toll Naka while heading from Mumbai to Lonavala. I have warned so many people while I have been filling up diesel and exiting the bunk to not touch their tyre pressure, but they all give me this *Tu tera dekh* look.
humyum is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed