Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2016, 12:20   #20191
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan Test-Ride Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Why are we getting carried away with FOR or AGAINST Royal Enfield or Himalayan in this thread??
I beg to differ here , when you post something online that has the potential to create rumours or mass condemnation , you need to be responsible about the content. Yes, the pics are relevant with appropriate information surrounding the same , not with a one liner that may have people jumping to conclusions . There are varying levels of knowledge on any online forum and to expect everyone to draw the right conclusion is absurd. I do agree with your point in crash testing but with a motorcycle an accident is invariably going to end with an 'ouch'. The parameters are quite different compared to a closed motor vehicle that doesn't rely on balance to maintain stability, I hope you get the point. Apologies for this OT post mods.
Can we return to this issue once we have a confirmed report as to what happened ? Else, it's only speculation

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th April 2016 at 02:23. Reason: Please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 13:10   #20192
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I beg to differ here , when you post something online that has the potential to create rumours or mass condemnation , you need to be responsible about the content. Yes, the pics are relevant with appropriate information surrounding the same , not with a one liner that may have people jumping to conclusions . There are varying levels of knowledge on any online forum and to expect everyone to draw the right conclusion is absurd.
the one-liner in question here posted by Hammer & Anvil says:

"An accident with scooter? This has a lot of people puzzled."

Agree that its not informative enough about the incident, but again is open to interpretations. To me, it does not really sound like a mass condemnation or creating rumour or being that irresponsible, but more like showing another side of the coin. When i look at the pic, it is indeed puzzling, as in general, RE or Himalayan has a tough, rugged and macho image where as a scooty in comparison is perceived as soft. A few pics showing impact between the two leading to shearing of front fork is puzzling at a first glance. I do agree that the underline tone does question and create doubt about the material strength, quality, etc but wont it be helpful in decision making or breaking depending on individuals judgement? Always better to see and weight all aspects before decision making - like in hindi they say "kharidne se pahle thok bajaa ke dekh lena". I am not trying to defend the statement or pics, just taking positives from it hoping discussion like this will help decision making & design safer products. The man posted that line is a seasoned rider, has spent many years with RE motorcycles, and has also booked the Himalayan, and i really doubt someone trying to sabotage a new product.
Old 6th April 2016, 14:04   #20193
BHPian

Update:

I got this from a very reliable source who had first hand info of the accident but have asked me to keep his identity anonymous. The scooter guy was drunk, had no license and was at high speeds. His condition is critical. I pray he survives and gets well soon.

The guy on the Himalayan had taken it for the TD and was at high speeds when the accident happened and they collided head on. He has a fractured leg and undergoing treatment.

Now guys, I think its time to put this matter to rest. As I had guessed, it is clearly due to careless driving and not because of quality issues.

And last but not the least, I think it was the same bike in which I did the TD a few days back.

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th April 2016 at 10:58. Reason: Removing bold formatting, as it was difficult to read. Thanks
Jude300 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 21:05   #20194
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Great job, noopster. I hope your kindness in stopping and helping is replicated by many others.
Old 6th April 2016, 21:26   #20195
BHPian

I liked this thread, but not as someone has pointed out, it's getting to be RE basher vs fanboy.

Request all to refrain and get back to topic.

FYI, parts of automobiles are DESIGNED to shear off or crumple or bend etc so that max amount of impact energy and not transfer it to people.

NOT saying that's the case, but we should refrain from bashing and commenting without facts.

Lets get back to the TD discussions
Old 7th April 2016, 01:12   #20196
BHPian

My ride got rear-ended by a swift at Anna university flyover.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1698.jpg

The other party is at mistake and even willing to pay for the damage. Should I proceed with the insurance claim? Also can members examine the damages, I can see that the hatch door and bumper needs to be changed. Any information regarding the coverage. I have a premium insurance from United India.
Old 7th April 2016, 06:16   #20197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_the_Don View Post

Attachment 1494715

The other party is at mistake and even willing to pay for the damage. Should I proceed with the insurance claim? Also can members examine the damages, I can see that the hatch door and bumper needs to be changed. Any information regarding the coverage. I have a premium insurance from United India.
Sorry about the accident, mate. You can take the car to Hyundai ASS or insurer certified ASS. It will better to take the car to the service centre that have cashless compensation, other wise you have to follow the steps that I have quoted below.

Its better to get the money from the other party after you get the estimate from the service centre. I would say its better to go via the insurance route. There is a catch if you do take the insurance claim, you will loose out on the non claim bonus, if you have any, which will make the insurance premium go higher for the renewal.

My experience with United Insurance, 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Got my car back, Total bill is 17800 Rs. The estimate that they gave before was after visual inspection of the damages. That also included replacement of rear door, just for a scratch.

I took my insurance from United India Insurance.
This is how it works,First you have to get an estimate from the dealer, a FIR if it exceeds 20,000Rs, Original insurance policy, RC book, Driving Licence. You should fill a claim forum(from insurance office) , and bring all the above documents. Once verified, they will forward it to a surveyor. He will go to the the workshop and access the damage. The dealer can start the repair once he has given the approval.

After this one have to pay the whole amount, submit the bill to the surveyor. He completes the report by calculating how much the insurer has to bear and forward the report to the office from where you took the insurance. Submit your bill and original policy at that office, and collect your insurance money.

This is how I did. I have no idea regarding other insurance company. But my dealer said that they are having tie up with ICICI Lombard insurance and several others where you can avail cashless facility. Which means I only need to pay 3000 odd Rs to get my car back, not the full amount and all the paper work will be done by the dealer.
Old 7th April 2016, 06:59   #20198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you go thru insurance be prepared to lose out on NCB for the next premium payment. Also you have to cough out high premium.
If the other party is willing to pay, then let him reimburse the amount based on the estimate given by the Hyundai dealership. Then no need to go through insurance.
Old 7th April 2016, 08:17   #20199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The other party is at mistake and even willing to pay for the damage. Should I proceed with the insurance claim?
The thing is, is the other party paying out of their pocket? What stops them from walking away from any deal at a later date?

This is the kind of accident the other vehicle's third-party insurance must cover. So go through the insurance route with an FIR etc, and get that insurance company to pay. You don't lose your NCB, your peace of mind is intact and it is easy on your pocket too.
Old 7th April 2016, 08:54   #20200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The thing is, is the other party paying out of their pocket? What stops them from walking away from any deal at a later date?

This is the kind of accident the other vehicle's third-party insurance must cover. So go through the insurance route with an FIR etc, and get that insurance company to pay. You don't lose your NCB, your peace of mind is intact and it is easy on your pocket too.
I don't think police will file a FIR since the other party has agreed to pay the compensation. Also, there is no injuries to anyone. Better to ask the other party to pay the difference in amount after the insurance claim and compensate the loss in NCB as well.

Even if police files an FIR, its going to be a long process. I think the first step is, they will seize both the cars and RTO will have to inspect both the cars for damages and issue a certificate to release the car. It will be a never ending process.
Old 7th April 2016, 10:30   #20201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Who done it again?

After Speeding Mercedes Kills Delhi Man, A Mystery Over Who Was Driving
NEW DELHI:
http://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/delhi...y-teen-1338883
Mercedes was zipping down road at 100 kms per hour: Cops
Police desperate for CCTV footage, none found yet
Owner's driver confessed, then retracted, claim cops
At nearly 100 km per hour, a Mercedes came speeding down one of the wide open roads so common in Delhi's Civil Lines area and hit a pedestrian crossing the road around 8:30 Monday night

Sidharth Sharma, 32, was flung nearly 15 feet into the air according to eyewitness on the spot. After he crashed onto the road, he was moved to a hospital where he died of his injuries.

The Mercedes went over a footpath and its front tyres burst before it stopped.

The driver managed to run away along with those travelling with him.

So far, the police have not managed to obtain CCTV footage of the accident. But the police have registered a case of negligent driving amounting to murder against unidentified men.

Eyewitnesses have told NDTV that the men in the car appeared under-age. The owner of the Mercedes has been identified as Manoj Aggarwal. His driver told the police that he was responsible for the accident, but has allegedly retracted his confession, claiming that he had been pressured.

Before running into Mr Sharma, the Mercedes narrowly missed an accident with two motorcycles, said eye-witnesses who saw two bikes chase the car before the crash. But the bikers have not been identified.
A facebook page has been set up for the unfortunate victim demanding justice. The page also contains a high resolution CCTV footage of the incident where the fast approaching recklessly driven car can be clearly seen hitting the victim as he is flung 15-20 feet in the air. Although there is very little hope, I hope the victim's family receives justice and the minor driver and especially the parents of the minor are dealt by the law.

https://www.facebook.com/Hit-Run-Jus...1988635093828/
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 11:35   #20202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I don't think police will file a FIR since the other party has agreed to pay the compensation. Also, there is no injuries to anyone. Better to ask the other party to pay the difference in amount after the insurance claim and compensate the loss in NCB as well.

Even if police files an FIR, its going to be a long process. I think the first step is, they will seize both the cars and RTO will have to inspect both the cars for damages and issue a certificate to release the car. It will be a never ending process.
Doesn't this negate the very reason behind 3rd party insurance? I know the process is cumbersome but should't we as an automotive forum do something about it?
Old 7th April 2016, 11:47   #20203
Senior - BHPian

If you have decided to take the monies from the other party, then do so as quickly as possible.

Like you they will be discussing this with their friends, family etc etc and will walk away for sure if you let this linger.

Quote:
The other party is at mistake and even willing to pay for the damage. Should I proceed with the insurance claim?

Last edited by khoj : 7th April 2016 at 11:49.
Old 7th April 2016, 11:49   #20204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Doesn't this negate the very reason behind 3rd party insurance? I know the process is cumbersome but should't we as an automotive forum do something about it?
To change the judiciary system?

Mate, it is not worth the time to pursue third party claims for relatively small accidents. More over, I believe, you will have to leave the car in the police station till the case is over. Guys, correct me if I am wrong.

For an accident I had in 2011 near Pondicherry, the police officers were asking for bribe to give me the FIR. Just imagine the hassle that you will be going through, if you want to pursue the 3rd party claim. I am generalising based on an anecdote though.

Guys, if any one has successfully got 3rd party claim, could you please share it here.

I remember, reading a thread about 3rd party claim by a bhpian for an accident involving matiz and a truck.

Last edited by ecenandu : 7th April 2016 at 11:50.
Old 7th April 2016, 13:54   #20205
BHPian

I am not sure if this has been shared already, but the below footage is really disturbing. But with a motive of awareness, we need to check this and make everyone one around us aware of two facts.
1. Not to overspeed within city limits like this.

2. Never try to cross a road by running when you see a speeding vehicle as its impossible to estimate its speed. Its best to stand still and wait the vehicle to cross.

My heart goes to the victim and his family, this is clearly a death caused by speeding :(, the driver must be punished irrespective of the flaws in the Law.

A bit more on the case : http://thelogicalindian.com/news/vid...e-as-evidence/

autohead115 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks