Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2016, 17:21   #20206
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Doesn't this negate the very reason behind 3rd party insurance? I know the process is cumbersome but should't we as an automotive forum do something about it?
With no injuries to anyone and minimal damages to the car, it is next to impossible to file a FIR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
To change the judiciary system?

Mate, it is not worth the time to pursue third party claims for relatively small accidents. More over, I believe, you will have to leave the car in the police station till the case is over. Guys, correct me if I am wrong.
You can take the car out after RTO inspects the damaged vehicles and submits a report to police. But you can't sell the car till the case is closed.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 18:29   #20207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
If you have decided to take the monies from the other party, then do so as quickly as possible.

Like you they will be discussing this with their friends, family etc etc and will walk away for sure if you let this linger.
I had a similar experience with an auto rickshaw in Trivandrum(close to Technopark), and the fault was that of the auto driver. He immediately called up the closest police station and requested them to come over- I was annoyed and asked if he had insurance to which he replied in the affirmative. I replied he could claim insurance for his damages(and it was a 4 months old one like my XUV too).

We together then went to the police station and agreed for a 'compromise' in writing and produced it to the cops. This auto bloke later then requests for circa 1000 INR to have the auto put on a pick-up truck and sent to Nedumangad in Trivandrum(apparently the place to claim insurance for autos). I 'haggled' and kind of obliged to just get out of the place.

Around a week later, this auto bloke calls me incessantly to which I reject as I was in Philippines on a brief business visit( to avoid international roaming charges). Finally, after around 3-4 such calls I pick up the call and state that I am not in India- he then began his sob story stating that the auto insurance guys need him to pay the whole amount upfront initially which would later then get reimbursed(it was circa 11k INR), and he doesn't have a dime to pay. I replied back stating that he won't receive a penny from me in this regard and do what he could- I also informed my spouse separately to inform this guy explicitly that I am overseas and this shall be dealt upon my arrival.

Upon my arrival, he comes to my home unannounced(the accident occurred in front of my residence unfortunately) and requests for the whole amount. I then asked him to go to the cops which he did so and they call me to 'settle' it again- this time requesting me to help him a little from a humanitarian perspective. I declined politely stating that this was closed citing the compromise letter that was signed-off and requested the cops not to call me relative to this.

The problem still doesn't get away as the cops call me again after a week(and this time around I am in Ritz, Bangalore for a day-long training) to come over- I reach there the next day and the cop again recites the auto bloke's sob story. I finally relent for 5k INR, and said I would produce a cheque to this effect. The auto guy concurred upon and solved this matter.

To top it all, his spouse was a Ph.D holder(in History apparently) whom I met later, and they were paupers- atleast that's what they made the cops and me to believe.
Bottom line is, try to come up with a compromise of some sort with the opposite party wherever possible and get it signed-off with the cops as witnesses( at the station, preferably). My insurer, HDFC, paid around 85% of the damage costs I incurred and I was hugely relieved.
jacobvarughese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 23:02   #20208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autohead115 View Post
I am not sure if this has been shared already, but the below footage is really disturbing. But with a motive of awareness, we need to check this and make everyone one around us aware of two facts.
1. Not to overspeed within city limits like this.

2. Never try to cross a road by running when you see a speeding vehicle as its impossible to estimate its speed. Its best to stand still and wait the vehicle to cross.

My heart goes to the victim and his family, this is clearly a death caused by speeding :(, the driver must be punished irrespective of the flaws in the Law.

A bit more on the case : http://thelogicalindian.com/news/vid...e-as-evidence/
This is really sad. It is quite difficult to judge a vehicle's speed at night when you see only headlights of the oncoming vehicle. He probably thought it was safe to cross as the car seemed far away but would not have expected it to come at such a high speed.
JonSnow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 13:11   #20209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
One of the fears I have of driving on our roads is being hit by a flying object and got a glimpse of it the other day!

Luckily, damage was just the number plate.
Not long ago, White Stallion (Scorpio), I had a similar experience that luckily caused no damage to my stallion but left a dent in my composure for some time. I had just crossed the Kancheepuram junction and was negotiating a curve with an Alto ahead of me. There was a pothole in the middle of the road and the Alto driver did not miss it. In the process the wheelcap came loose, bounced on the road, jumped on my Stallion's bonnet before bumping off the roof and flying off. I still shudder to think what would have happened if it had landed on the windshield instead of the bonnet. FYI, I was doing 90+ and the Alto must have been at least at 80+ coz I overtook him shortly after that.
Old 9th April 2016, 12:18   #20210
BHPian

Mangala Express collides with jeep near Ramanagaram

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-jeep_2807441f.jpg
Quote:
Passengers of Mangala Express had a narrow escape on Saturday morning when the train hit a jeep, parked on the tracks for photoshoot, near Basavanapura in Ramanagaram district, about 45 km from Bengaluru.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle8454657.ece

No words
darklord is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 12:44   #20211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post

Attachment 1495144

No words
This was a beautifully restored Jeep. We used to see it frequently, parked in Banashankari BDA Complex.

Pity that people with the money and good taste to buy/restore a Jeep have zero brain usage capability
KiloAlpha is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 12:46   #20212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did the jeep guy(s) demand compensation from the Loco Pilot? High chance they'll say the train was "speeding" and hit a "parked" jeep. Stupidity has no bounds these days.
silversteed is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 21:34   #20213
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 13th April 2016 at 08:31.
500ContyCruiser is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th April 2016, 21:51   #20214
BHPian

Quote:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20160409_104336.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20160409_103451.jpg

I was there at the spot in the morning. These guys tried to cross the twin tracks and climb the hillock to take pictures of the sholey hills in the background. However the 4x4 was stuck on the first track due to loose rocks. Such a marvelous jeep knocked out by the slow moving train. The railway station is very near to the accident spot, that is the reason the train slowed down.
doxinboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 21:54   #20215
BHPian

Updates on the case:

Delhi Teenager charged with culpable homicide after hit-and-run case. After five days of wait, the boy who killed a man dead with an overspeeding Mercedes in Delhi, has been charged with culpable homicide on Saturday considering his past record of rash and negligible driving.

The police, during their investigation, found that the accused teenager was found rash driving in the past too causing a road accident with another vehicle. He had been challaned thrice last year for overspeeding and wrong parking. Hence, after seeing his previous cases, he has been charged under culpable homicide not amounting to murder, section 304 of the IPC. These statements came from the DCP (North) Madhur Verma. Earlier the police had apprehended the juvenile when the accident took place, but later he was released on bail because he was below 18.

On Friday, the police arrested the juvenile’s father, an Old-Delhi businessman under Sections 109/304 (abetment to culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of IPC. According to the police, he had not taken a single step to prohibit his son from taking his vehicle. Thereby he had abetted the crime of the juvenile.

Source: The Logical Indian.

One question here. Can a Driving License for LMV vehicles be issued to a person below 18 years in India? In none of the earlier cases, he has been charged with driving without license but merely over speeding or a parking ticket.

Last edited by TD_GHY : 9th April 2016 at 21:56. Reason: Grammatical errors
TD_GHY is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 23:48   #20216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_GHY View Post
Source:

One question here. Can a Driving License for LMV vehicles be issued to a person below 18 years in India? In none of the earlier cases, he has been charged with driving without license but merely over speeding or a parking ticket.
As per the Motor Vehicles Act:
A person who has attained the age of 16 can apply for a license to drive a vehicle (capacity<50cc).

A person who is a major or we can say that a person who has attained the age of majority i.e. 18 years (in case of MV Act) can apply for a license to drive a LMV. Firstly, a learner's license has to be applied, which is later on converted into a permanent driving license on the basis of result of driving test.

Statement that the minor had already been charged several times for his negligent road manners seem to be either incomplete, or illstated, or false. As, on Indian roads as far as I have seen, DL is the first thing which is demanded by the traffic cops, whatever may be the case or situation.

Aakarsh
Aakarsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 05:49   #20217
BHPian

Bangalore airport travelers, jam alert. Saw a chain accident involving 3 vehicles in the morning. Couldn't take pics , but check for traffic jam if u have less time to catch a flight.
Old 10th April 2016, 06:35   #20218
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

There is now a ruling saying that anyone who photographs an accident without offering help to the victims, is subject to legal proceedings.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 07:36   #20219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1495144

No words
Grade A fools!

Instead of the Mangala Express, it could have been the 100+ km/hr Shatabdi, which would have obliterated the flimsy jeep but could have derailed the entire train had the chassis got stuck underneath the loco.
Old 10th April 2016, 08:06   #20220
BHPian

The person who blocked the train track with his jeep has been arrested.

The search for an exotic spot seems to have landed him in an unexpected exotic spot,"police station".

Quote:
A Bengaluru-based techie’s attempt to take a picture of his vintage jeep in an “exotic” location — on the railway track — landed him in police custody and delayed the Kannur-Karwar-Bengaluru Express by more than an hour on Saturday.
Quote:
Early in the morning, Sandeep of Kothanur in Bengaluru and his wife Pratibha went on a ride on their 1966 model Willys. Sandeep parked it on the track to take pictures, close to Basavanapura in the Ramanagaram district, about 35 km from Bengaluru, Railway Protection Force (RPF) sources said.
Quote:
The incident suspended the train movement on both the tracks between Bengaluru and Mysuru, for nearly 50 minutes. RPF personnel said they arrested Sandeep on charges of “endangering the safety of train passengers.”

More
batterylow is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks