Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2016, 12:38   #20971
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
Considering all the stories with respect to Brake Failure, U-Turn, Steering Failure etc.., the below picture depicts the kind of theory that I can come up with.

This could also happen
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

Quote:
But is that ever possible on the ORR? If you ask me.., I'd say "HELL NO!"
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Since it is an upwards slant towards KR Puram, is it possible that due to brake failure, the bus was rolling downwards (in reverse) and the driver tried to stop the bus by hitting the median?
Quote:
Quite possible. Looking at the scrape marks on the front left corner of the bus, he would have been in the left lane, scrapped the left wall of the underpass and veered onto to the median in reverse. The steering like someone mentioned would have turned after stopping due to loss of weight on the front wheels.
You mean to say that it might have happened like this?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg

for the back wheel to climb over the median and almost the entire bus to pass over, the bus needs to be at a considerable speed. Just the vehicle rolling backwards because of the slope (that underpass is not that steep) will not have such speeds IMO.

Moreover, if the vehicle is rolling backwards, a small tap on the accelerator can hold it right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Remembering the picture you captured of a BMTC Volvo dash showing check brake light glowing, I suspect this time the brake failure theory is true.
you have a good memory but even with a Brake failure, I cant imagine how it ended up in such a position!!!
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 13:33   #20972
Senior - BHPian

Few accidents caused by mistakes by bikers.

ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 13:55   #20973
Distinguished - BHPian

The official clarification by BMTC is on their facebook page (screenshot attached below) regrding that Volvo incident.
It seems the Brakes Jammed and then Unjammed!!!
Some of the replies to this post are also hilarious

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg
hemanth.anand is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 14:27   #20974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The official clarification by BMTC is on their facebook page (screenshot attached below) regrding that Volvo incident.
I have seen many buses BMTC) taking a U-Turn on that stretch - early mornings usually as the U-Turn ahead (closer to Innovative Multiplex) has been moved further. Those I saw were not Volvos but Ashok Leylands etc. Maybe this driver thought he could increase the bus height and then take a U-Turn?

I saw a swift on Saturday morning hitting a tree in the median on the downslope on the Agara Flyover (ORR/HSR Layout) on the wrong side and signs of being rear ended as well. Anyone seen the same or read about it?
Old 28th June 2016, 15:20   #20975
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1522100
Something fishy here.
Lets say the bus is climbing out of the underpass from Sarjapur side. It got Stuck and unstuck and started rolling backwards. Then it turned and got onto the divider. In that case, shouldn't its rear be on the other side of the divider? How did the front part of the bus ended up on the wrong side of the divider? Is the bus climbing out of the tunnel on wrong side of the road and this drama unfolded?

On a different note:
Did anybody notice the badly banged up Etios on Suranjandas road, Bangalore today morning? It is so badly mauled that its boot has come apart and it is looking like hatch back. Front is also completely damaged. The car is on the footpath platform, on the wrong side of the road. Couldn't stop to take a pic as traffic was building up. Will see if I can get a screen grab from my dashcam.

How do I know it is Etios? Because it was written on the big part that was next to the car. The car itself has no clue of its make or shape anymore.

Last edited by ampere : 28th June 2016 at 18:09. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 28th June 2016, 16:23   #20976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Something fishy here.
Lets say the bus is climbing out of the underpass from Sarjapur side. It got Stuck and unstuck and started rolling backwards. Then it turned and got onto the divider. In that case, shouldn't its rear be on the other side of the divider? How did the front part of the bus ended up on the wrong side of the divider? Is the bus climbing out of the tunnel on wrong side of the road and this drama unfolded?
Unless and until we are all proved wrong, its obvious that the bus driver tried a wrong manoeuvre and BMTC is trying to save the face.

Failing brakes on volvo buses are not uncommon, especially BMTC low floor buses. Having experienced that twice this is what happens in Volvo buses: (experts, please correct me, this is purely experience first hand and not technical info)

1) A brake fail warning appears if volvo detects an issue.
2) When the driver continued to drive, the wheels get tight and starts to slow/jam the vehicle.
3) The driver mentioned that the steering got heavier during that time abd he had to stop. A heavy smell of metal burning/getting hot was getting inside the cabin.
4) Smoke was visible from the wheel well when the bus stopped. That seems to make me believe the item no. 2 where the wheels would have jammed. The above happened when the bus was running at less than 40-50kmph.

Unlike a scooter or cycle where it loses control in the even brakes fails, i feel volvo buses got better safety features to control the buses in the event a brake failure happens. A similar thread exist in Team-bhp for discussing the BMTC volvo's brakes fail message:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...e-message.html.

While hiring a driver, BMTC ensures that the eligibility is as follows:

1) Should have experience in Acrobatics/circus.
2) Preferred if they have Auto rickshaw driving experience - at least 1 month experience (the way they drive is no different than auto drivers in bengaluru).
3) In addition, they should be god fearing. Brakes might fail, poor maintenance is a norm, but who cares ?

God's grace and the acrobatic skills will help when they are in trouble. As always, accidents and deaths continue to be statistics.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 16:35   #20977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Few accidents caused by mistakes by bikers.
scary video

i guess we tend to take so many rules of the road to be trivial and something which others have to follow. either by ignorance or i dont care attitude.
Old 28th June 2016, 16:36   #20978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You mean to say that it might have happened like this?

for the back wheel to climb over the median and almost the entire bus to pass over, the bus needs to be at a considerable speed. Just the vehicle rolling backwards because of the slope (that underpass is not that steep) will not have such speeds IMO.

Moreover, if the vehicle is rolling backwards, a small tap on the accelerator can hold it right?

Right. The graphics you jotted down is what I felt had happened, adding to that the bus would have scrapped its left corner on the underpass wall . Makes more sense now after the snapshot of BMTC's explanation as well since the bus was un-manned.

I doubt it needs a steep gradient to pick up momentum. The bus is heavy and it would have gained enough momentum for its rear to go over the divider. If it had gained more speed , the whole bus would have ended up on the other side.

I have to against the tide here. I am not a road user in that part of town and I have not seen BMTC antic's to comment, but from the pictures and the last resting position of the bus, I feel they are right about what happened.
Obviously at the end, driver fault or not, it is BMTC's fault for not maintaining their buses.
Old 29th June 2016, 11:37   #20979
Team-BHP Support

Here's a bizzare one!

Thanks to @manishrajp for bringing this to our attention via twitter

A MiG fighter plane has crashed into a Tata Safari (and a house or two) in a residential neighborhood in Jodhpur, Rajastan.

Thankfully, the 2 pilots are safe, though 3 other injuries were reported.

As expected, there was a fair deal of collateral damage - but thankfully no fatalities.

This happened 2 weeks back, but surprisingly there's no mention of it here, so I thought I'd share...

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-clkp8dswyae2rac.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-clkp0zywaaeb5ir.jpg

Additional source

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th June 2016 at 11:38.
Rehaan is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 12:17   #20980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Here's a bizzare one!

Thanks to @manishrajp for bringing this to our attention via twitter....
In this case, we can safely assume its the bigger 'vehicle' that's at fault!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2019 at 16:46. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
ankan.m.blr is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 13:35   #20981
BHPian

Quote:
Here's a bizzare one!

A MiG fighter plane has crashed into a Tata Safari (and a house or two) in a residential neighborhood in Jodhpur, Rajastan.
On a lighter note, Safari has taken crash well, shows its robust build quality

Last edited by Acharya : 29th June 2016 at 13:36. Reason: changed 'the' to 'a'
Acharya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 13:41   #20982
BHPian

Quote:
A MiG fighter plane has crashed into a Tata Safari
Good luck to the Safari owner in explaining this to the insurance company!
fordfreak is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 13:48   #20983
Distinguished - BHPian

Compensation from Air Force is done in these cases
sudev is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 13:50   #20984
BHPian

Guess, he should just keep the vehicle as it is, might fetch a fortune later if someone picks it up a collectible! Talk about a fighter plane rear ending you!!
vinair is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 13:58   #20985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
On a lighter note, Safari has taken crash well, shows its robust build quality
One off case where seat belts wouldn't have made any difference
FORTified is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed