Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2016, 12:42   #21421
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Pedal mix-ups
Such incidents are particularly common with senior citizens
Not just senior citizens.., it can happen with the young as well (which of course is not debated in the thread anyway) I had mine during my initial days and had a very bad accident. October 20th 2012, 12:40PM Noon. I shall never forget that date and time in my life. If I am the kind of driver I am today, it's purely due to that incident. I am not happy with what happened that day and at the same time, I am also thankful that it happened during the initial days - helping mend my ways. Lots of lessons for life in multiple aspects.

Quote:
A Japanese inventor has come up with an interesting invention to avoid such mix-ups: a single pedal that accelerates the car when pressed with the side of the foot. More importantly, when the pedal is pushed down, it always activates the brakes.
While a good idea, the likelihood of such a change receiving widespread adoption is highly unlikely. The thought of retraining all that muscle memory is tricky, let alone learning to finely modulate the accelerator with a twist of the ankle.
I'm sitting at my cube at office and was reading this post. I have a bad habit of trying to simulate such stuff. Was trying the moves with my foot as per the picture in thin air (I don't have any peddles here - it's obvious!). Almost sprained my leg due to the ankle twisting I'm not repeating this ever again!

But yeah, not sure how it will be with the real peddles in place. Thin air's different from the real stuff. And it can definitely avoid many accidents if it really is accepted.., since the movements are completely different for the two controls.

Last edited by vnidta : 10th August 2016 at 12:44.
vnidta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 13:59   #21422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
.... (I don't have any peddles here -
.... the real peddles in place. ....
I'm sure you mean pedals.
Yes, getting used to this new concept would be like toilet training a child, if not far more difficult. You'd have to first make people 'un-learn' what they were doing and make them learn to do it differently!
It will never happen, to be very sure.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 14:11   #21423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I'm sure you mean pedals.
Yes, getting used to this new concept would be like toilet training a child, if not far more difficult. You'd have to first make people 'un-learn' what they were doing and make them learn to do it differently!
It will never happen, to be very sure.
Thanks for correcting the spelling.., I can't change it now I definitely meant pedals and not peddle(Stupid spellcheck suggestions). I ain't selling nothing! Sorry, not such a dealer

And definitely, unlearning a certain thing which we've been doing for ages is pretty difficult. Bringing such controls would lead to a lot of complexity within the auto industry as well - with older vehicles having one kind of controls and newer ones with a different kind, vehicle upgrade confusions due to the unlearn and relearn cycle.., too many things.
Old 10th August 2016, 15:10   #21424
Senior - BHPian

There's that moment when we see a biker go whoosh past us and we think, "Girega saala". Well that happened to me yesterday, only the biker did fall within seconds of me thinking so!
Thankfully, nothing major happened to the riders or the rides. The Duke guy though ditched the bike in a side lane and scrambled.

I was making a U turn and the reaction of the people alerted me to the accident.

In the cam footage, at around 10 secs into the video, the Duke is seen speeding. Pause and play and you can see him brake to avoid an Activa and ultimately drop the bike.

Name:  ForumRunner_20160810_150920.png
Views: 6143
Size:  645.7 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20160810_150927.png
Views: 6185
Size:  717.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20160810_150935.png
Views: 6153
Size:  708.0 KB
Old 10th August 2016, 18:45   #21425
BHPian

Meanwhile, this happened somewhere in Punjab:
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1470834897237.jpg  

avisidhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 19:13   #21426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Sunny's rear is almost non-existent. Was it road rage or what?
I am still trying to figure out how did the Innova guy manage to end up over the Sunny anyway?

Hope no lives were lost.
Old 10th August 2016, 19:18   #21427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
Sunny's rear is almost non-existent. Was it road rage or what?

I am still trying to figure out how did the Innova guy manage to end up over the Sunny anyway?

Hope no lives were lost.

Not this again!

It happened last year in July. Search on the forum and you'd see a full blown analysis of the accident. I wonder how and why these pictures resurface every few months.
RohanDheman is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 19:19   #21428
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the same accident involving Sunny, Innova and a Truck that actually resulted in crushing the boot of the Sunny.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3754429
paragsachania is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 13:56   #21429
Distinguished - BHPian

CCTV footage from yesterday morning, in Delhi:

Quote:
On Wednesday morning, 40-year-old Matibool lay bleeding for over an hour on a road in Delhi after being hit by a tempo. No one tried to help him; the one man who stopped is seen on CCTV footage, picking up his mobile phone and walking off.

Matibool, an e-rickshaw driver, died on the road in west Delhi's Subhash Nagar before a team of policemen took him to a hospital just half a km away.

Images from a CCTV installed at a shop chronicle the staggering lack of compassion often ascribed to the capital city.

Matibool, a father of two who worked two jobs, was on his way home around 5.30 am after an overnight shift when the three-wheeler, speeding on the deserted road, rammed him.

He hit a pole and collapsed, bleeding.

The driver is seen on camera approaching him but turning away quickly, looking up and down the road, checking his phone and then driving off after assessing that his victim is alive.

In the moments afterwards, that stretched to an excruciating 90 minutes, several people are seen walking past the dying man on the road.

Then a man stops a rickshaw and walks towards the prone figure. Finally, some help - it appears in the video. Until this man picks up Matibool's mobile phone and walks away.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 14:02   #21430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
CCTV footage from yesterday morning, in Delhi
Looks like the tempo driver was already on the phone call while and driving in his subconscious state of mind contributed the mishap since all the consciousness was occupied by the phone call.

Lot of people take driving for granted these days and keep themselves busy on phone calls, even two wheeler riders don't hesitate using phones these days while riding. Its as dangerous as drunk n drive, or maybe more dangerous than that.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 11th August 2016 at 14:12.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 14:09   #21431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
CCTV footage from yesterday morning, in Delhi:
Couple of comments:
1) If possible, always walk facing the traffic. In any case, walk at the very edge, for better chance of not getting hit.
2) After the accident, he lay like a drunkard who has passed out. Usually nobody bothers such persons and that could be the reason for the apathy from people.
msdivy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 14:37   #21432
BHPian

Gruesome Tempo accident. The Tempo driver was definitely distracted as the guy seems to be walking at the road edge. From the latter footage of seconds before the accident (around 1:51 in the video), the tempo seems to be driving near the median of the road, well away from the edge. Or did he deliberately hit him! (Hmmm, conspiracy!)

And i too believe from the unfortunate position the guy ended up, he may have been mistaken as a drunk by passer-bys. Then again there is no way of knowing if there was other indicators of a more serious nature such as blood and such which would have told people that this may be an accident case. One point though, that guy who stole the phone is one terrible dude. A real shameful act by him.

Last edited by DriverR : 11th August 2016 at 14:38. Reason: removed formatting
DriverR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 14:57   #21433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
1) If possible, always walk facing the traffic. ...
And get hit by the wrong-side biker coming from behind. For this reason I sometimes feel safer doing the exact opposite.

The biggest single thing a pedestrian can do to be safer is also the most obvious: use the pavement. Of course, often there isn't one
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 15:13   #21434
Team-BHP Support

Gosh, that's a horrible accident to watch -- more for the painful aftermath than the hit itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
The Tempo driver was definitely distracted as the guy seems to be walking at the road edge. From the latter footage of seconds before the accident (around 1:51 in the video), the tempo seems to be driving near the median of the road, well away from the edge. Or did he deliberately hit him! (Hmmm, conspiracy!)
I think he was probably either:
a) Falling asleep, as it was ~5am
b) Checking his mobile

Quote:
And i too believe from the unfortunate position the guy ended up, he may have been mistaken as a drunk by passer-bys.
Definitely true.

Quote:
One point though, that guy who stole the phone is one terrible dude. A real shameful act by him.
Yes. Common sense would tell him that the person's been hit, and hence the phone is lying some distance away. Or perhaps he thought the man was drunk and had a fall.

You can even see him discuss the situation a bit with the cycle-rickshaw driver.

At the end of the day, no one wants to take any responsibility or show any concern.

Really unfortunate & heart-breaking.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th August 2016 at 15:14.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 16:16   #21435
BHPian

Ohh this is sad, very very sad. I guess people could have thought about him as a drunkard on the road. But this is not the way to lose a life :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks