Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2016, 22:57   #22111
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Thanks for sharing.
They are a good reading.

However, I still didn't understand how they make driving a less instinctive activity, especially on Indian road. Your instincts, especially on indian roads, are your best saviors. You need those to help you make your split second decisions, which make or break, in panic braking situations.

If you think otherwise, I respect your thoughts still.
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 23:54   #22112
Distinguished - BHPian

Anticipation is the Number One Driving Skill. I see it to be hugely lacking on Indian roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
However, I still didn't understand how they make driving a less instinctive activity, especially on Indian road. Your instincts, especially on indian roads, are your best saviors. You need those to help you make your split second decisions, which make or break, in panic braking situations.
Once you have driven a car for even a few weeks, the ability to change gear, and, even to know when to change gear, becomes pretty-much automatic, right? We do not think very much about it; we just do it. It is not instinctive: it is a learned skill.

Similarly, most of driving is not instinctive, but is a collection of learned skills, abilities and wisdoms. Nature did not make us into car drivers: learning to drive did. With hugely variable degrees of success,
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 12:05   #22113
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing.
They are a good reading.

I am no Psychology expert. But through the studies that I have done, can surely say you are mixing the term 'reflexes' with instincts.

Instincts are natural impulse resulted through learned behavioural pattern. A better learning process (could be driving too) can help in better instincts.

So yes, you can learn and unlearn your 'instinct'.

Watch-out, instincts is also hereditary! What you learn goes to your future generation
Old 28th October 2016, 12:36   #22114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing.
They are a good reading.

On Indian roads you can't trust your instincts. Anticipation and its good to have good reflexes.

Last edited by GTO : 28th October 2016 at 19:51. Reason: Too fast, buddy...too fast for our rules :)
Sankar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 12:49   #22115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

Here is an example of lack of sufficient anticipation on my part getting me into trouble. My reflex action to target for the least damaging option and ABS helping me steer without skidding helped get out of this situation. No damages to the vehicle or tyres.

The Swift Dzire already hit the cones after braking and skidding (see the tyre mark) and was coming to the left lane to park. The other Innova driver also handled the situation very well good reflexes.
It's not your lack of anticipation, but lack of visibility. The Innova ahead was blocking your view. He saw the slow moving DZire on left lane and braked earlier than you did. You had only indirect inputs that something was wrong - his glowing tail-lights & subsequent realization that the Innova was decelerating rapidly.

At higher speeds (100 kmph plus), its better to let the other vehicle move ahead. Or you should overtake him and get it done with. Following another vehicle at high speeds negates risks under certain circumstances, sure, but also adds to risk sometimes.

Last edited by SmartCat : 28th October 2016 at 12:54.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 13:16   #22116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
It's not your lack of anticipation, but lack of visibility. The Innova ahead was blocking your view. He saw the slow moving DZire on left lane and braked earlier than you did. You had only indirect inputs that something was wrong - his glowing tail-lights & subsequent realization that the Innova was decelerating rapidly.

At higher speeds (100 kmph plus), its better to let the other vehicle move ahead. Or you should overtake him and get it done with. Following another vehicle at high speeds negates risks under certain circumstances, sure, but also adds to risk sometimes.
If i was that Innova in front with good visibility would it have helped? Not unless the Dzire guy decided to speed up his transition from the center to extreme left. If not the other Innova would not have had the gap to go ahead.

I saw his glowing brake light and braked as soon as i processed that information which is at about 10-11secs in that video and still ahead of his braking point.

Lack of anticipation of what could hide beyond the corner in this case i didnt anticipate there would be cones and triangle beyond that corner. Forward visibility was good i was able to see the brake light react to it and see the obstruction ahead and see a safer position to steer towards to. Even the other Innova ahead cannot see into the corner.

The workers should have placed the warning before the entry into the corner.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 13:20   #22117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... Innova driver also handled the situation very well good reflexes.
I keep counting those seconds. The gap is less than 2 seconds. At 100 kmph the recommended gap is 3 seconds.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 28th October 2016 at 13:22.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 13:28   #22118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I keep counting those seconds. The gap is less than 2 seconds. At 100 kmph the recommended gap is 3 seconds.
Yes it was close, should not have been close . I would mind the gap in future.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 13:36   #22119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it was close, should not have been close . I would mind the gap in future.
As a matter of fact, the Innova broke the 5-second rule on a blind curve. Caused him to brake hard, almost unable to stop. He barely managed to wriggle through.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 13:45   #22120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is an example of lack of sufficient anticipation on my part getting me into trouble.
Is it only the lack of anticipation or does the speed also played a role?
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 14:10   #22121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Is it only the lack of anticipation or does the speed also played a role?
Actually everyone in that video had a role and none played it too well.
In retrospect it was a good learning experience for all involved. Hope others can learn from this. That is why i posted it here.
Sankar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 14:30   #22122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope others can learn from this. That is why i posted it here.
True, I'm happy that you shared this video and that too with speed overlay.

What I learned is higher the speed, you have less time to react and the importance of lane discipline.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 14:38   #22123
BHPian

Quote:
On Indian roads you can't trust your instincts. Anticipation and its good to have good reflexes.

The other Innova driver also handled the situation very well good reflexes.
While I agree with your and Innova's reflexes and good luck saved your day, both the vehicles were driven like a cat and dog chase. In less than 13 seconds, there were 3 lane changes.

I guess you were tail gating him for some time, which resulted you being in blind spot. Possibly better driving would have helped in better handling!
LoneRidder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 14:44   #22124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
True, I'm happy that you shared this video and that too with speed overlay.

What I learned is higher the speed, you have less time to react and the importance of lane discipline.
In this particular situation it would have been worse if the cars were on fast/right lane. Reason? The obstruction ahead would have come up into view only much later because it was a curve and the obstruction was on same lane.

See the Swift in the video, that car was probably doing a lower speed (relatively) but was on the fast/right lane it braked in a straight line (see skid mark) and hit the triangle. If he was on the slow/left lane he would have proceeded ahead without incident, so he was on the correct lane for his speed i assume.

Last edited by Sankar : 28th October 2016 at 14:50.
Old 28th October 2016, 14:49   #22125
Senior - BHPian

Sankar's video is good example of why on Indian highways , although the roads are well paved and marked, at the same it is not safe to do high speeds.

We are still lagging behind when it comes to good effective signage's/alerts on highways although they are 4 or 6 laned.

There could have been an alert kept a couple of hundred meters before regarding the deviation, all the more important since it was a curve.

Rather expect the un-expected on our roads.

Last edited by tharian : 28th October 2016 at 14:53.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks