Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2016, 19:37   #22501
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
This is going OT, but from the sample video it seems you drive safe.

Overtaking from left, even though not ideal, is a necessity in our traffic conditions especially within city.
Oh it is reasonably safe - the one thing is, I prefer to NOT stay on the left side of the road at all in city traffic unless I'm about to take a left in the next few hundred metres. Doing that exposes you to stupid bikers scraping through imaginary gaps a lot more than when you're in the middle of the road. Besides the shoulder of the road and any pavement limits you and serves as a hard barrier in case you get crowded out of the line you're driving in.

OK - even middle of the road or to the right isn't a guarantee of protection against such, earlier today I had a twit on a blue gixxer barely miss my bumper cutting past in S curves in bumper to bumper traffic. He came from more or less the left of the road, upto the right of it, then right back to the middle of the road etc. This in bumper to bumper traffic near tambaram, chennai. (Broad road, but heavily crowded with buses, bikes and everything else).

Getting back into chennai city traffic after a week of road tripping down broad six lane highways and beautiful near empty state highways in south TN is disgusting :(

Last edited by hserus : 28th December 2016 at 19:48.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 20:15   #22502
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Rather than predicting that the car ahead is going to collide, it feels more like the radar detected an obstacle ahead of even the car just ahead in the path of Tesla and alerted the driver and responded to it that's all.
You are spot on. The car detected the vehicle ahead slowing down very abruptly and hence triggered emergency warning and braking(I suppose). Usually the forward radar can keep track of reflections from two vehicles ahead in the same lane as long as the vehicle immediately ahead is not a truck or a trailer. Sometimes even three cars ahead can be tracked, but it depends upon the conditions in the surroundings and the presence of other objects. This is not predicting an third party collision sort of intelligence as stated in the article.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 23:27   #22503
Senior - BHPian

Seems my life is going through a rather rough phase. Today was out with mom and while returning, this happened. My Swift got rear ended.

A Swift near Andanvan Road, Gorwa, new IPCL Road, failed in overtaking attempt and was in front of me in my lane. I slowed down from 30 in a gradual way, no skid marks or anything. As soon as I stopped, bang. A white Active/stepthru rear ended me. Mom told me not to get angry. I was damn angry, and after looking at damage, was boiling. Kept very firm yet polite words with rider.

Rider : You applied shot brakes.
Me : I had to, a car coming from opposite direction was in my lane in front of me.
Rider : You were doing high speeds.
Me : Show me skid marks. Also, if I was at high speeds, what speeds were you doing ?
Rider : My vehicle is also damaged. You applied shot brakes as your speed was high.
Me : In that case, I should have hit the car in my lane.
Rider : My vehicle front portion is damaged, you are not the only one having damage. You braked hard.
Me : (Firming up) I don't want to fight, but you are at fault, you should not have rear ended me and kept sufficient distance.

The two wheeler licence plate was : GJ-06-XX-0146.

Moral : Buy a used BOF car and use it for city. I would have just shrugged off it and rider would have suffered more damage than my car.

Have dash cams. Dont save money on this one. Have two, one at front and other at rear.

Now what : I want to file legal case. Mom and dad against it. Dad wants me to claim insurance.

Incidentally, in June 2016 I had a crash too. Lost NCB. This year also if I claim insurance, I will lose NCB.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-swift-rear-end.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-where-poor-swift-rear-end.png  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 28th December 2016 at 23:38.
Old 28th December 2016, 23:45   #22504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Now what : I want to file legal case. Mom and dad against it. Dad wants me to claim insurance.

If I were you, I would try pushing that small dent from the other side to see if it gets back to shape.

Even if it doesn't, it is a matter of a few thousand bucks (with insurance, a lot lesser).

The rider may be at fault, but it was not intentional. Let it go! Why waste time and energy on legal stuff?

Be glad that it was an activa instead of some bus or truck. Stuff like this happens very often inside urban areas. If we lose our peace of mind over this, every minute on the road will be frustrating.

Sorry if my opinion irritates you more. I just want you to relax and heed to your parents in this issue.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 28th December 2016 at 23:50.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 00:29   #22505
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Even that report says "predicting crash" but isn't Tesla's radar just detecting an obstacle ahead? Watch the video carefully and you can see Tesla giving audible warning as soon as the two vehicles ahead of the car in front of Tesla decelerates rapidly. Rather than predicting that the car ahead is going to collide, it feels more like the radar detected an obstacle ahead of even the car just ahead in the path of Tesla and alerted the driver and responded to it that's all.
There are several different types of Collision avoidance systems used by different manufacturers. Most manufacturers with these features brake automatically when there are obstacles or a visible crash.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collis...oidance_system

What Tesla is being credited here is that the braking occurred while the crash was of an unseen vehicle. Detecting a crash 2 vehicles ahead. The radar can certainly detect reflection from the car/obstacle ahead , in addition to that - reflection from car that is 2 cars ahead (from underneath the car ahead). This info when combined with the the info from Stereo camera can predict a crash for the car that is right in front of your car.

Looks like the final second of a crash is being analyzed a lot and the systems are being put in place by many manufacturers. Time will tell what car will seize such safety features as a big competitive advantage. If manufacturers get too aggressive with these features, false detection of a crash will also cause lots of damage.

Last edited by prasadee : 29th December 2016 at 00:32.
Old 29th December 2016, 02:42   #22506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This isn't worth either a legal case or insurance.

Try the following - You don't need to remove the bumper the way he does it - just hot water and a push from the other side should do the trick

Old 29th December 2016, 05:20   #22507
Senior - BHPian

Goswami bro,

Do go ahead and file a case. By the time you finish preparing the legal documentation and paying the associated bribes, you'll forever internalize the wisdom of your parents' will meaning words!

PS: This is truly small stuff. Don't sweat it man. Enough troubles in life already, no? Have a happy 2017 man.
phamilyman is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 10:36   #22508
BHPian

Quote:

Incidentally, in June 2016 I had a crash too. Lost NCB. This year also if I claim insurance, I will lose NCB.
Hi aaggoswami,

I dont think this major damage - something that you would put in a claim for. Would suggest that you use hot water / heat gun and just pop the bumper back in place. I dont know about Vadodara, but here in Ahmedabad there is a whole market for dents and repairs and I have had a similar dent removed from a Tata Indica I owned earlier. It gets back in proper shape and if I recall costed me around 100 Rs to get it fixed.
Old 29th December 2016, 11:03   #22509
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry to hear about the incident but it is quite a minor one.

Same thing happened with me last weekend, however my driver was driving the car and a pulsar rider rear ended our i10. A small dent and a long scratch on the bumper. My driver gets aggressive and tries to stop the biker to ask for compensation. I asked both of them to get over it and move on.

No gain in wasting time, energy, money (in case you go legal) and not to mention peace of mind on such minor incidents. Had it been something major, then you are right in going the legal way.
Old 29th December 2016, 12:09   #22510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
If I were you, I would try pushing that small dent from the other side to see if it gets back to shape.

Even if it doesn't, it is a matter of a few thousand bucks (with insurance, a lot lesser).

The rider may be at fault, but it was not intentional. Let it go! Why waste time and energy on legal stuff?

Be glad that it was an activa instead of some bus or truck. Stuff like this happens very often inside urban areas. If we lose our peace of mind over this, every minute on the road will be frustrating.

Sorry if my opinion irritates you more. I just want you to relax and heed to your parents in this issue.
Accidents are never intentional. That does not mean that they are not someone's fault.

But, none-the less, I agree with the advice. City driving? Then bumpers are a "consumable!" As advised, a lot of "dents" in plastic are easily fixed. Otherwise, collect them until it gets just too much to live with, and replace. Oil change, bumper change! Divide by number of days and write it off as part of the cost of running a car.

But still, I sympathise. Both with the damage and with having to suffer the everybody's-fault-but-mine idiot that caused it.

Oddly, the only biker that touched my rear bumper, my Swift at four days old, was utterly apologetic and very decent about it. Which made me feel better about not hassling him for the small cost of having the dent pushed out. I should like to wring the neck of the mini-truck driver who put a small dent in my tailgate... but even that is probably not a big tinkering job to deal with, and the paint is not broken, so it is not very visible.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 13:38   #22511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Not an accident, but a near accident captured on CCTV. Kerala SRTC bus driver miraculously avoids running over a careless biker
=====

Happened on NH 66, near Karivellur, Kannur District.
This continues to be a problem in kerala. I spotted one accident involving a Biker and a Creta (and the biker darted into the main road like the guy in the video)

There were many near misses for bikers and no one seem to be bother. This is a common sight on the MC road.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th December 2016 at 13:44. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 29th December 2016, 14:11   #22512
BHPian

Not a recent one, but happened to me 2.5 Years back at Quilon (Kerala).

Was on a morning drive towards a temple and cruising just at 60 kmph. I saw a biker awaiting to jump into my lane from the opposite one (solid white line). I saw him staring at me for about 2 seconds, for which I realized that he saw me coming through and didn't slow down but took my pedal off the accelerator just to heed and avoid mishaps.

Unfortunately though, at just a few feet away, the moron decided to jump into me swaggering that he can make through and the upshot was a squeal, bang and a cratered bumper.

The biker got up from the ground just as if he was stung by a Tarantula . Although the biker got away from the scene, the locals created quite a mess and I was held over for hitting the biker.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20140616_110104.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20140616_110454.jpg  

Old 29th December 2016, 16:19   #22513
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A driver's worst nightmare - Brake Failure! Someone sent in these pics of an XUV500. Just look how the pedal is buried in the floor. Happened after Meghamalai Hills.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20161227_151355_hdr.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0921.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20161226_134003_hdr.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0896.jpg
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 16:27   #22514
Distinguished - BHPian

Lucky that only this much damage after brakes failed.
Old 29th December 2016, 16:37   #22515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A driver's worst nightmare - Brake Failure! Someone sent in these pics of an XUV500. Just look how the pedal is buried in the floor.
Does this mean he lost all the brake fluid in his system? Surely, this cannot happen in a car without the brake warning light come on well in advance?

Most Viewed