Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2017, 16:27   #22531
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
This happens, whether one likes it or not.

While the Creta is passing the BUS, another private bus which is just 5-6 feet behind the RTC bus, suddenly came to its right, bang in front of the CRETA
Sorry to hear this - i drove recently from Bangalore to Tirupati and encountered a number of these moronic private buses who think they own the road and inherited the right to push all oncoming vehicles off the road whenever they wanted. Have seen similar driving habits by private buses in Kerala too (including the inter city volvos on 2 lane NHs in Kerala). These madmen are a serious danger to driving on roads without a divider
aroonanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 15:28   #22532
Senior - BHPian

Underage driving, whom should be blamed?

Old 4th January 2017, 18:32   #22533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
That is ruthless. I am heartbroken on seeing the innocent woman and sincerely pray for her. I feel sad for the wagonR driver as well. The parents of this kid should really be arrested for negligence in giving weapons of destruction in the hands of their kids (not a joke but very serious). How can people be so careless in what they are doing and what consequences might befall to other people

I must admit I always give a cold shoulder to accidents because I always thought that accidents are done by ****** and we should have been safer and took more precautions to take care of it but we did not and so we are also partially at fault. If a lorry is in our lane and overtaking, we should have honked, flashed, anticipated his frustration and ego and stopped, gone off the road instead of hitting him etc... But this video really sobers me and demolishes the thought.

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th January 2017 at 18:46. Reason: Please avoid quoting Youtube link while replying, affects readability. Thanks.
Old 4th January 2017, 18:54   #22534
BHPian

Creta crash at Vizag recently.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg  

Old 4th January 2017, 19:34   #22535
Senior - BHPian

Happened in Kerala 2 days back:
Four die as bus rams into car, bike

Courtesy:-
http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...e-1555467.html

Quote:
The bus involved is the accident parked at the Varapuzha police station
KOCHI: For the four, Monday could have been their first day at college and office in the New Year. But their destiny was to ride into the cold embrace of death after a bus rammed into their bike and car. The accident took place at Varappuzha bridge, Kochi, around 2 am.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-amri1.jpg Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-amri2.jpg

The deceased are: Akshay Sasikumar, 20, Cherambra, Malappuram and Jijisha Jafar, 23, Edakkara, Nilambur - students of Cusat. Hareendra Shankar,27, Cheriyapalli, North Paravoor and Kiran Babu, 25, Pallikkara, were working at a company in Infopark, Kochi.

Three other Cusat students - Gudiya S Lal, Athira Sasikumar and Athulya Nair - were admitted to a city hospital and their condition is stable. The hospital authorities said one of the students would undergo surgery on Tuesday. Police said the bus driver might have dozed off and lost control of the vehicle. The bus, which was carrying pilgrims, was proceeding from Kollam to Edapal. The six bus passengers were discharged after administering primary treatment

For the students and teachers of Cusat, who were enjoying the Christmas holidays, the news of Monday’s terrifying accident came as huge shock. The condition of the techies at InfoPark was not different, who were shocked to hear about the loss of their two colleagues on the second day of the new year. Tragedy struck when a speeding bus rammed into the car in which Akshay, 24, of Kozhikode and Jijisha, 24, of Malappuram - both final year B-Tech students of the Cusat - were travelling along with three other students.

The bus also hit the bike on which InfoPark employees Hareendra Sankar, 27, of Paravoor and Kiran, 25, of Kakkanad were travelling, killing them on the spot. It is learnt that the students, all hailing from the Malabar region, were returning to the college after the Christmas vacation. Hareendra Shankar and Kiran had gone to Kannur to attend a wedding.

After returning to Paravur, they had set out on the former’s bike for Kiran’s house at Pallikkara. The other three passengers of the car, all Cusat students, are undergoing treatment at the intensive care unit of Aster Medcity here.

“Their condition is stable. However, one of the students will be undergoing a surgery on Tuesday,” said hospital authorities.

A pall of gloom descended on the Cusat campus, especially the IT Department under the SoE . “With most of the students and teachers away spending the holidays, the campus has plunged into deep gloom,” said Cusat IT HoD Shelbi Joseph.
Any guess which car?

Last edited by balenoed_ : 4th January 2017 at 19:38.
Old 4th January 2017, 19:43   #22536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Happened in Kerala 2 days back:
Four die as bus rams into car, bike

Courtesy:-
http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...e-1555467.html

Any guess which car?
This looks like an Alto. Going by the grill in the bottom right, door panels and tail light. The overall proportions suggests this to be a small car.
Na_sh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 08:46   #22537
BHPian

Heedless driving and using mobile phone costs this man his life. This happened in Adilabad, A.P yesterday.

Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 09:25   #22538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Heedless driving and using mobile phone costs this man his life. This happened in Adilabad, A.P yesterday.
Well, I'm not from AP or Telangana. But I can read some bit of Telugu.
And guess what - The caption in the news video prominently says 'Pranam theesina mobile phone' which literally means 'The mobile phone which took a life'.
Its not the mobile that took the man's life. It was his mistake to (1) ride on the wrong side of the road (2) not wearing a helmet (3) not watching the road and (4) talking on his mobile. Sadly he won't live to learn lessons from this mishap
Old 5th January 2017, 09:49   #22539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
That looked very casual for the lorry to run over the biker (should be camera angle)! Now, the poor lorry driver would be booked for rash and negligent driving!

I see lot of morons riding their two wheeler by balancing the mobile between their shoulders and ears in Bangalore. Whenever I see such idiots, I simple pray, let the mobile fall and get run over by a vehicle

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 5th January 2017 at 10:49. Reason: typo
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 11:08   #22540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
The lady in this video has miraculously survived but had been injured seriously I guess. Details in the link below-

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/56341975.cms

Last edited by bblost : 5th January 2017 at 13:03. Reason: removed embedded video
Old 5th January 2017, 11:18   #22541
Senior - BHPian

Okay, he was with his mobile and probably did not focus on the oncoming traffic or lost orientation due to the position of his head in managing to hold the phone between his ear & shoulder. BUT, he looks to be on the middle of the road for quite some time for the lorry driver to notice and slow down or apply brake in time which he didn't.
Old 5th January 2017, 12:56   #22542
BHPian

This might be due to over speeding of Innova (VIP Vehicle) and negligence of the person while crossing the highway. This happened at Kathipudi, Andhra Pradesh on NH5/NH16 at 9 pm yesterday.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20170105wa0002.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 5th January 2017 at 13:04. Reason: removed first pic
Old 5th January 2017, 13:07   #22543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
This might be due to over speeding of Innova (VIP Vehicle) and negligence of the person while crossing the highway. This happened at Kathipudi, Andhra Pradesh on NH5/NH16 at 9 pm yesterday.

Attachment 1592116
Hate those bullbars!

Wonder what purpose these silly contraptions serve, other than hampering pedestrian safety!
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 16:17   #22544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
A Swift near Andanvan Road, Gorwa, new IPCL Road, failed in overtaking attempt and was in front of me in my lane. I slowed down from 30 in a gradual way, no skid marks or anything. As soon as I stopped, bang. A white Active/stepthru rear ended me. Mom told me not to get angry. I was damn angry, and after looking at damage, was boiling. Kept very firm yet polite words with rider.
This reminded me of an incident a few years back. It was the first damage to my WagonR (Vxi). (Sorry for the long post.)

I was approaching an underpass beneath the flyover at Mira Road (Amar Mahal) when I heard the i10 ahead of me squeal. He saved a dog that had just decided it needed to cross the road. There was about two car-lengths between our cars and we were at about 35. I stopped a good meter away from the i10 without skidding.

But then came a bang from the back. A quick glance at the rear view mirror - a biker was hunched over his bike and a BEST bus had stopped inches away from his left but outside the bodyline of my car.

Just a few seconds ago, out of the corner of my eye I had noticed this biker accelerating out of a petrol pump on the left, probably just topped up air pressure.

I hit the hazard warning light, pull the handbrake (declining road), stop the engine, take the key out, unbuckle and walk out to the rear.
Man in mid 40s, Bajaj Discover, MH-02 plate, no helmet on head or anywhere near him, spat out a mouth full of something red he has been chewing on. (The i10 drives away at this point.)

Me: Are you hurt?
Biker: Yes, (holding his crotch, almost bumbling with his mouth full). Why did you brake so hard?

At this point he got off his bike and picked up a cell phone that was lying on the ground.

Me: Sorry, do you need water? Are you shaking? Park on the side and sit for two minutes.
Biker: This is not how you brake; it was so sudden (pointing to my car).

That's when I noticed that my rear bumper has cracked and the reflector had popped out (Vxi model has one at the center underneath).

Me: I was trying to avoid hitting the car ahead, and that driver was trying to save a dog. Look my bumper is damaged. Is your bike OK? No visible damage. (I knew his front fork would some realignment, but could be done as part of regular service.)
Biker: (cuts me off, anticipating that I would hold him responsible for the damage to my car), How can I stop so suddenly on a two wheeler? It does not have brakes like your car? Why did you have to stop so suddenly?

By this time more cars had stopped by. One car driver was frantically signaling me to take pics of the biker on my mobile phone.
The BEST bus driver got off and stood next to us, and at that point I realized a lot of people were staring at us including the bus full of passengers.

Me: It was the car ahead of me that stopped abruptly and I was only trying to avoid hitting it. If I was in your place, I would have kept the distance knowing the braking capacity of the bike.(This incensed him)
Biker: (hollers) Abhey <expletive>, you don't know how to drive. Don't know how to brake. I have got hurt badly.
Me: (irritated and but trying my best not to holler back) you are the one who hit my vehicle, I didn't hit you. My car is damaged, and I am going to bear the expenses. I saw you speeding out of the petrol pump. (cuts me off)
Biker: You have also damaged my bike and also my mobile.

Bus driver to Biker (in Marathi): Its your mistake. I saw you were looking at your phone in one hand.
Biker: But he stopped so suddenly. Even you (bus driver) would have run over me. All you big vehicle drivers think you own the roads and drive rashly. Poor man is getting killed.
Bus driver (in Marathi): Don't talk rubbish.
Biker: Why not, I am saying the truth. This guy doesn't know how to drive, he doesn't how to brake.

Bus driver turns to me: He will teach us how to apply brakes. (turns to the biker) Why don't you ride ahead of the car this time and he will practice how to brake correctly. Go, go ahead. (there is laughter all round).

The biker took the cue, starts his bike and drives off - vanishes into the crowd in seconds.

The bus driver to me (in Hindi), "He cut in front of the bus from the petrol pump and would have knocked him off had I not hit the brakes. This is how such people need to be treated."
"Sir, aap tho bahut ache se baat kar rahe the. Woh phir chup chap nikal gaya warna mein tho usko kaan ke niche bajane wala tha." )(Sir, you were speaking too respectfully. Had he not left quietly, I would have smacked him.)

I thanked him and drove back home (decided not to continue). Strangely, I never repaired that bumper. My wife used some duct tape which kept the reflector in place till the car was sold off.

Made a mental note -
  • do not expect everyone to right away own up their mistakes
  • do not expect others to treat you like you 'think' you are treating them
  • nothing beats street-smartness while on the street
subuiyer is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 16:39   #22545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subuiyer View Post
This reminded me of an incident a few years back. It was the first damage to my WagonR (Vxi). (Sorry for the long post.)
Just can't understand the mentality of these guys! Why not apologize for a mistake you've committed?! Can't you at least be polite?! Too many such idiots on the road. Buses and trucks have to be even more aware of these bikers than us car drivers.
It's really commendable that you kept your cool in that situation, and talked politely to him. Good that he didn't ask you for compensation randomly

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks