Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2017, 16:51   #22546
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Unfortunately I had to post back to back on accidents happened in Kerala claiming a total of 8 lives.

Sleep deprived driving is causing accident at an alarming rate than ever before. The reasons could be- busy life, sense of urgency in anything people do, immature drivers, over confidence, not knowing how to handle drowsiness and many more.

A man in his 50s, after a hectic week of marriage of his daughter, setting out for a ~400kms drive in the middle of the night on one of the dangerous roads of the country turns out to be a bad decision.

-RIP-

Kasargod: Four including three of a family killed in car-truck collision
http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=430613

Quote:
Couresty: www.thehindu.com
Four persons, including three members of a family, were killed in a collision involving a car and a container truck at Uppala here on Wednesday.

The accident occurred around 4.45 a.m. when the car going to Mangaluru dashed against the truck near the Mangalpadi panchyat office, the police said.

Ramanarayanan, 55, an Ayurveda physician from Chelakara in Thrissur, along with his wife Valsala, 48, was on his way to drop their son Ranjith, 20, a third year BAMS student in a Mangaluru college, in their car along with Ranjith’s friend Nidhin, 20.

The four occupants of the car died on the spot, the police said. The bodies were first shifted to the nearby community health centre.

Family sources said the couple had accompanied their son after the college authorities insisted that they be present to re-admit Ranjith, who had gone on leave to take part in his sister’s wedding on December 24.

Nidhin, son of Mechery Ittiachan of Tirur, was an accountancy student at a private college in Thrissur.

While the autopsy of the couple were performed at the Mangalpadi community health centre, the bodies of the boys were sent to the General Hospital here for post-mortem examination. The bodies were handed over to relatives.

The police have registered a case under Section 304 A (causing death by negligence) of the IPC against the driver of the truck bearing a Karnataka registration number.

Old 6th January 2017, 10:40   #22547
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Tamil Nadu and Karnataka reported most road accidents in 2015.

Quote:
Karnataka ranks second in number of road accidents in the country in 2015, according to the latest National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) report.

Source:Link
Old 6th January 2017, 15:44   #22548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

Sleep deprived driving is causing accident at an alarming rate than ever before..
A man in his 50s, after a hectic week of marriage of his daughter, setting out for a ~400kms drive in the middle of the night on one of the dangerous roads of the country turns out to be a bad decision.

Kasargod: Four including three of a family killed in car-truck collision
http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=430613
Got the picture of the car from yesterday's newspaper. Rear passenger compartment appears intact. Looks like the rear passengers were not wearing seatbelts. Could've saved 2 lives if my inference is true. Anyway, no one I have ever talked to in Kerala bothers to wear rear seatbelts.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170106_153203_hdr_edited.jpg  

Last edited by deerhunter : 6th January 2017 at 15:50.
Old 7th January 2017, 12:02   #22549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
he was with his mobile and probably did not focus on the oncoming traffic or lost orientation due to the position of his head in managing to hold the phone between his ear & shoulder. BUT, he looks to be on the middle of the road for quite some time
Many people in India live with an attitude that "nothing will happen to me". This is actually the biggest cause of fatal accidents.

Last edited by rohanak1 : 7th January 2017 at 12:12.
Old 8th January 2017, 10:57   #22550
Distinguished - BHPian

Speeding car hits tree, 4 killed

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20170108wa0002.jpg

Quote:
LUDHIANA: Four youths, including two girls, died in a horrifying road accident between Birmi and Issewal villages on South City road, about 10km from city , around 1.15pm on Friday . One youth is admitted to the emergency ward of a private hospital in Civil Lines.
The deceased have been identified as Sanyam Arora, 20, Gaurish Verma, 21, Rishika Bassi, 19, and Ishani Jindal, 19, while the injured is Akshit Grover, 21.
They were former schoolmates studying in different colleges of Ludhiana, Mandi Gobindgarh and Delhi. They had gone for a drive in a white Honda City car. Eyewitnesses said around 1pm, they took beer from a liquor shop near Birmi bridge of Sidhwan Canal, danced there and moved towards Ireo Waterfront, a housing society , in South City .
Des Raj, owner of a dhaba opposite the liquor shop, said, "We saw the youngsters enjoying drinks and dancing outside the vend. Some people objected to it and asked them to leave the spot.Thereafter, they moved towards Ireo."
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/56388291.cms
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 12:20   #22551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Quote:
The car, allegedly running at 100kmph, was split into two after ramming into a eucalyptus tree. The kerbs were broken and even the tree had fallen down. Blood and flesh were splattered on the tree up to the height of 20 feet.
These morons will never learn. Everyone knows that drinking and driving is a recipe for disaster. But once you start thinking that you are immortal and nothing will happen to you, then no force on earth can save you. RIP.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 14:59   #22552
Distinguished - BHPian

Very sad. Makes me thankful that I escaped my own youthful foolishness with life and body intact. It is probably a good thing that I never managed to pay for all the driving lessons and pass that UK test until my youth was well past.

Youth and alcohol set the scene. Then it might have been a simple mistake that led to this carnage. Feel very sad for their families.

Also another event in which it is proved that, even though it may be designed to minimise injury in a head-on collision with another vehicle, a car is still absolutely no match for a tree.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 09:35   #22553
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hope I'm not being condor'ed! Saw this on www.carthrottle.com:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1483816128184268111495.jpg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 10:03   #22554
Team-BHP Support

^^

That woman seems to be saying "a little left, a little left, no no! I mean the other left!"
SmartCat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 11:50   #22555
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday while driving back from pondicherry saw an nasty accident which had taken place. A two wheeler along with the couple had fallen on the ditch and by the looks of the people surrounding think it was pretty serious. I hope that the couple are alright! Did not stop as there was already a big group standing there. Further ahead there was a car which was stopped by people and the driver along with his co - passenger (a lady) being talked to. Think they were the people who caused the accident and tried to flee. Not sure who was the culprit here. On this highway I have seen two wheelers dart across the highway suddenly or cars zipping across at high speeds.
Old 9th January 2017, 13:37   #22556
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hope I'm not being condor'ed! Saw this on www.carthrottle.com:
An excellent example of people being completely ignorant of risk. Plainly, that car could topple at any moment. If I has to take the road to the left of it, I would be as far left as possible. If I could not be at least one, preferably two, clear lanes away from it, I would not take the route at all.

Yet... see how close the auto has passed. A vehicle with just-about-zero protection from a falling object.

If people cannot recognise risk and danger, how can we ever reduce accidents?

Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 18:54   #22557
Distinguished - BHPian

Happened today in the evening. No casualties as it was just the driver alone and from the looks of the front windscreen, there was an impression that the driver may have been belted.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170109_172351.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170109_172407.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170109_172449.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170109_172540.jpg

Heard from the crowd gathered here that the driver ran away while few others mentioned that it was DUI.

Hosur Road Clover leaf exit from Link Road side. Now you know why this may have happened. The exit is poorly marked and anyone can miss this with a wink of an eye. This fellow has mostly realised it later and tried to swerve left to fork out into the exit and instead ended up like this.

The only other possibility could be that he was headed straight while someone else on his right swerved left to take this exit and to avoid collision the Xylo swerved left too and hit the railing.

All in all, that was one lucky driver with no co-passengers. The railing pierced right from underneath the bonnet and emerged out from the tail gate.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20170109-6.25.48-pm.jpeg

The red line is the exit and one can notice that the traffic here is slower than usual. I checked this few minutes back and realised onlookers were still slowing down to catch a glimpse of this accident and the exit is narrow as well that rescue work may have slowed down the traffic further.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th January 2017 at 13:34. Reason: Fixing typo :)
paragsachania is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 20:59   #22558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

All in all, that was one lucky driver with no co-passengers. The railing pierced right from underneath the bonnet and emerged out from the tail gate.
Thats one REALLY LUCKY escape. The driver surely has been given a new life. Extremely lucky also that there were no co-passengers - any one in the left seats of the car was a sure fatality. The rail seems to have penetrated a good 10 odd meters into the car and given that its an Exit ramp, the driver must be doing really crazy speeds to have gone in so much further. DUI may be the case - doesnt look like any brakes were applied or the vehicle would not have gone in so far ahead.
GJ01 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 23:20   #22559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Happened today in the evening. No casualties as it was just the driver alon and from the looks of the front windscreen, there was an impression that the driver may have been belted.
The accident scene looks like something out of the movie Final Destination. Lucky day for the driver and thank goodness there was noone else in the vehicle.

This is a common design flaw that is seen in all our highways. Such abruptly ending guard rails are a threat to all the road users. There are several equally cheap/costly ways of constructing guardrails, which are safer for road users. But in India nothing works the way it should in the first instance. The change comes only after many lives are lost.

Many countries use the following safer barriers.

Sloping ends:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p1_terminal_2.jpg
This can be constructed at no additional cost at all. Seen a few in our highways.

Cable barrier:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-0005_cable.jpg

Impact absorbing barrier:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-maxresdefault.jpg

Impact absorbing barrier gif:
Name:  ialj2tlbexzkjkm8btof.gif
Views: 11451
Size:  1,023.7 KB

Last edited by deerhunter : 9th January 2017 at 23:21.
deerhunter is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 01:26   #22560
vdi
BHPian

^

This cable barrier can be seen on the newly laid Pala - Thodupuzha state highway in Kerala. But doesn't seem to be too strong compared to the usual barriers seen on highways.
vdi is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks