Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2017, 11:01   #22771
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Even in my society when I am taking my car out in evening when children are playing, I am doubly cautious. This is case of bus, driven well on schedule of school. Its parent's responsibility to keep small kids away from vehicles, irrespective of size.
I understand, even the parents in my apartments are absolutely clueless in not letting their kids play in the driveway. I have had many arguments with these irresponsible parents on this issue.
If kids can't learn basic road safety in enclosed spaces, how will they behave on open roads.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 15:42   #22772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I understand, even the parents in my apartments are absolutely clueless in not letting their kids play in the driveway. I have had many arguments with these irresponsible parents on this issue.
If kids can't learn basic road safety in enclosed spaces, how will they behave on open roads.
One is not supposed to drive at a speed more than 20KMPH inside a housing complex. Children are children and if they can't feel safe inside their apartment complex where else they are safe? Parents can not be with their children all the time. It is the driver's responsibility to be careful.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th February 2017 at 16:37. Reason: Removing quote, since that's been moved to the international accidents thread. :)
sourabhzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 15:58   #22773
BHPian

I have no words to describe this stupidity .

ankan.m.blr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 16:55   #22774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
1) In India, if there is an obstacle infront, instead of applying brakes people just abruptly change lane.

This is exactly what happens when people are lazy to apply brakes.

One should always leave enough room - sideways and front/back as a buffer. Unfortunately gaps are often filled by smaller vehicles.

2) There are no lanes painted on the road. People are moving like animals in a jungle.

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th February 2017 at 18:26. Reason: Please avoid Quoting Youtube video links for replies. Thanks.
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 16:58   #22775
BHPian

Quote:
Stupid, so much damage done just because of her stupidity. And she just continued walking as if nothing happened.
tazmaan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 16:59   #22776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
One is not supposed to drive at a speed more than 20KMPH inside a housing complex. Children are children and if they can't feel safe inside their apartment complex where else they are safe? Parents can not be with their children all the time. It is the driver's responsibility to be careful.
This is at crawling speeds. My issue with children playing in the driveway when there is dedicated play area. This doesn't absolve parents from not teaching their kids to behave safely. Let's not bring in things like "children are children" when it comes to safety., even I am an expecting Father.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 17:00   #22777
BHPian

Quote:
The lady who caused it all coolly walks away...

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th February 2017 at 18:26. Reason: Please avoid Quoting Youtube video links for replies. Thanks.
Old 9th February 2017, 17:01   #22778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I fully agree with this point. When it is very well known to even the neighbors that the child is hyper active and the mother has to hold the child tight to control, mother should have taken care to bolt the door when she leaves....
Please point me a child of two years who is not hyper active, I have a 16 month old child and he is also hyperactive, in fact all children are according to their parents. Introspection or retrospection will not bring the child back and the mother will carry this burden throughout her life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Even 20 Kmph is enough to maim or kill, speed wasn't the issue in the case under discussion, as the bus had just started. Why do you want children to play on the roads inside apt complex and feel safe, it should be our endeavour to tell them roads are not for playing at apt or otherwise. Kids will be kids and they have to be under supervision at house or outside, you always necessarily can't blame the driver and put the onus on him. Earmark separate play areas inside apartments and fence them. Most apartments or societies should provide basic amenities like parks/play area inside housing complex but the developers seldom do.
RajeVenu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 17:07   #22779
BHPian

Quote:
This is at crawling speeds. My issue with children playing in the driveway when there is dedicated play area. This doesn't absolve parents from not teaching their kids to behave safely. Let's not bring in things like "children are children" when it comes to safety., even I am an expecting Father.
Even I face this issue in my society. I have to take right turn just after entering the society gate (to head towards my dedicated parking) and the right side visibility is blocked by trees/bushes planted in the lawn. Every day when I take the right turn, there are few kids playing on the drive way (note that the lawn/play area is just next to drive way), and I must brake suddenly. But every single time, parents give me a look as if I'm stupid .

Nowadays I've got the habit of honking just before entering the gate and just before making the right turn, but seems people have issues with that as well
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 18:25   #22780
Senior - BHPian

The issue about safety inside the apartment has been lingering in my mind for a while. we have a play area and the children ride their cycles on the drive way, as the play area isn't enough for all of them. Now, everyone who resides there know that there are children riding their cycles on the drive way, yet I see some people speeding their cars as they approach their parking lot. I mean, how many seconds will you lose by crawling to your parking lot and not sliding and slamming your brakes into it? And the sad part of all this is, most of the people who do this antics have their own kids cycling inside the complex.

Kids will be kids, but that shouldn't stop us from teaching them basic safety parameters. Having said this, the benefit of doubt should always go with the kids and not the racing adults, who always seem to be in a hurry only to be late everywhere.
dass is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 23:16   #22781
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
... ... ... Kids will be kids, but that shouldn't stop us from teaching them basic safety parameters. Having said this, the benefit of doubt should always go with the kids and not the racing adults, who always seem to be in a hurry only to be late everywhere.
Absolutely.

If children are about or nearby, drive slowly. If they are on the road or roadside, drive at walking pace or less, at which hitting the brake gives an almost instant stop.

Isn't it obvious?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 00:00   #22782
BHPian

Quote:
No words really. The woman is crossing at a pace expecting the traffic to slow down or stop for her, which is absolutely fine. And I am sure the traffic that is coming towards her is honking while maintaining the same speeds expecting her to fly away resulting in such a dramatic situation.

Quote:
I understand, even the parents in my apartments are absolutely clueless in not letting their kids play in the driveway. I have had many arguments with these irresponsible parents on this issue. If kids can't learn basic road safety in enclosed spaces, how will they behave on open roads.
I stay in a locality where there are kids cycling everywhere in the driveway and it is expected from kids. A strict code or 20 kph or less is followed to help the situation.

That's not all, the architects actually planned the driveways slightly narrow with regular protrusions from both sides as trees and shrubs that intentionally takes away the feel of it being a comfortable place to speed in. Results, even Olas and Ubers maintain a low speed.
Old 10th February 2017, 00:17   #22783
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Stupid, so much damage done just because of her stupidity. And she just continued walking as if nothing happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
The lady who caused it all coolly walks away...
So, OK, maybe she's stupid. How about the fact that if people had slowed and let her cross none of that would have happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
No words really. The woman is crossing at a pace expecting the traffic to slow down or stop for her, which is absolutely fine. And I am sure the traffic that is coming towards her is honking while maintaining the same speeds expecting her to fly away resulting in such a dramatic situation.
And in which direction do they expect her to fly? Straight up? Once on a busy road with traffic all around, any move can be expected to be dangerous. The only thing I can say is that, when faced by an oncoming vehicle, especially a bike, I make it clear whether I want it to pass in front or behind.

My Dad's trick driving question: "When does a pedestrian have right of way?" after exhausting my knowledge of the British Highway Code, his answer: "Always: you are not allowed to run over them. These guys chose to run over each other, which is pretty much as bad.

If it is too much to slow down for a soft thing made of flesh and blood, then it is time to reminded that we are also soft things also made of flesh and blood.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 08:31   #22784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
So, OK, maybe she's stupid. How about the fact that if people had slowed and let her cross none of that would have happened?

And in which direction do they expect her to fly? Straight up? Once on a busy road with traffic all around, any move can be expected to be dangerous. The only thing I can say is that, when faced by an oncoming vehicle, especially a bike, I make it clear whether I want it to pass in front or behind.
Well, after seeing the video I can say I have seen my share of nonchalance in jaywalkers but none to this level, none. This is straight-up eerie the way she walked up and I have no doubt in my mind that this is majority, her fault.

She is seen clearly crossing over a random stretch, not a zebra crossing (yes, I know people will laugh reading this because in our "developing" country spotting an actual zebra is more of a possibility than a zebra crossing). Yet she should've way more patient, crossed after the completely occupied lane traffic had passed & ensured that those who were coming from front see her from a distance by a hand wave. I NEVER cross when all the lanes are occupied because the motorists in India have myopic glaucoma where they just focus on the vehicles to the side and how to overtake them and anything more than 2 inches away is a blur.

In a way both the motorists and jaywalkers are in fault, since nonchalance and outright hostility & anarchy basically summarises our roads, its a case of the seemingly unstoppable force and the seemingly immovable object. American laws of jaywalking MUST be brought here ASAP, I don't mind a Rs.10,000/- penalty to these harbingers of doom.

Whenever I'm on the road I always mutter about America and how nice traffic rules are over there, I know Lady Liberty isn't accepting the "tired, poor & huddled masses yearning to breathe free" anymore, but I guess my love affair with her continues from a distance.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 09:03   #22785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
American laws of jaywalking MUST be brought here ASAP, I don't mind a Rs.10,000/- penalty to these harbingers of doom.
Well, from what I understand of America (and Europe where I have first-hand experience, and perhaps elsewhere too) the position outlined by Thad is correct - pedestrians have absolute right of way. Here's is California's position:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...k/right_of_way

It repeatedly says "yield to the pedestrian".

Maybe she was jaywalking, maybe she is hearing impaired, maybe she is mentally unstable, maybe she was indeed taunting the drivers on that road. None of that is an excuse for crashing into her (which the driver here didn't do, I agree). I think the law India lacks is one that imposes IPC 304 on a variety of on-road offences.

Most Viewed