Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2017, 09:13   #22786
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I have no words to describe this stupidity .
While I fully accept most of the comments here on the stupidity of the women, if we carefully observe, the Auto Tempo is also equally stupid.

Just see the speed and rash driving of the tempo driver. Looks like this is a mobile effect while driving. There are 2-3 bikes in front and there is no way that he can overtake them in such a small path.

At last minute, he sees the women, bike and many other obstacles and decides to take a immediate left.

This has resulted in the accident.

Last edited by gkveda : 10th February 2017 at 09:23.
Old 10th February 2017, 10:21   #22787
BHPian

Out here in Hyderabad, something which really annoys me is that pedestrians cross the road even when there is a green signal at the traffic lights. Everybody is in a rush to clear the signal and then suddenly people cross the road. There have been times when I have almost run over a couple of them.
I have seen the cops also aiding this and asking vehicles to stop.

Crazy state of affairs!!
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 10:32   #22788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I have no words to describe this stupidity .
The only thing good about this video is how quickly people responded to help.

Last edited by bblost : 10th February 2017 at 14:24. Reason: Removed embedded video from quoted section. Thanks.
smartindboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 11:39   #22789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
American laws of jaywalking MUST be brought here ASAP, I don't mind a Rs.10,000/- penalty to these harbingers of doom.
Try being a pedestrian in Bangalore, and you will be a jaywalker in no time at all.
Old 10th February 2017, 12:02   #22790
BHPian

It seems that the vision of the auto driver was blocked by the auto on his left and the bike in the front, and he saw the stupid woman at the last moment. No one willing to back off is a common attitude on roads...

Last edited by heavenlybull : 10th February 2017 at 12:04.
Old 10th February 2017, 14:13   #22791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Well, after seeing the video I can say I have seen my share of nonchalance in jaywalkers but none to this level, none. ...
I don't absolve her of blame. We see just as much bad pedestrian-ing as bad driving. But the pedestrian's life is hard. When I eventually plucked up courage to drive in India (it took me a year) I was immediately struck by the fact that it was easier than being a pedestrian. I still think so. Who has never been tempted to hail an auto to cross three or four lanes of traffic that never seems to ease up or stop? "Where to, sir?" "Just... over there!" I'd so much rather be in my car!

All drivers are sometimes pedestrians, but not all pedestrians drive. Drivers at least [should] have a sense of whether it is even possible for a vehicle to slow or stop for them (and make extra allowance for trucks, buses, etc) and if they choose to deny the laws of physics, I don't have sympathy for them. But I have less sympathy for drivers who won't give way to each other or pause for a pedestrian. Others must have noticed the reaction of those behind us when we do. At junctions, the guy behind starts beeping when there are people in front of our car. He expects we should simply run them down? Apparently, yes.

Seen bikers run over people toes rather than let them cross, even when cars have stopped? Of course, we all have. This is unforgivable.

That woman is, perhaps, lucky to be alive. Maybe she is also lucky that everybody else involved is also still alive. Yes, a little more pedestrian intelligence is called for, but a lot more driving intelligence, understanding, consideration and simple good manners is needed even more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Well, from what I understand of America (and Europe where I have first-hand experience, and perhaps elsewhere too) the position outlined by Thad is correct - pedestrians have absolute right of way.
Well, this is why my Dad's question was a trick question. There are a limited number of situations in which a (UK) pedestrian has legal right of way as per the Highway Code --- but that never means we have a right to kill, maim, injure, intimidate or even just frighten them when we are driving.

As binand says
Quote:
Maybe she was jaywalking, maybe she is hearing impaired, maybe she is mentally unstable, maybe she was indeed taunting the drivers on that road. None of that is an excuse for crashing into her (which the driver here didn't do, I agree). I think the law India lacks is one that imposes IPC 304 on a variety of on-road offences.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 20:27   #22792
Distinguished - BHPian

So this happened today and the two wheeler rider got a well deserved slap from the guy who got hit. While I was coming home and was near Shantinagar Bus station, I was in the right most lane when an Ambulance started blaring siren behind us. He was juggling between the left and center lane(much to the average Indian thought that the left side is a freeway for all and the slowest vehicle gets to drive safely on the right ). Since it was practically impossible for me to pull over to the left(what should have ideally been done), I went as right as possible and held some traffic behind me so that the middle lane can get cleared. As the ambulance passed me and skipped a signal, there was this bunch of heroes who tried to tail it and one guy got a nice slap for what happened here:

audioholic is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 21:19   #22793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
So this happened today and the two wheeler rider got a well deserved slap from the guy who got hit.
Oh boy! I see this kind of situation regularly. viz: tailgating an ambulance and living dangerously. The biker was darned lucky that nothing serious happened. He absolutely deserved the slap. He was lucky that No cops were around - or else he would have got some police troubles also!
haria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 21:28   #22794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Well, from what I understand of America (and Europe where I have first-hand experience, and perhaps elsewhere too) the position outlined by Thad is correct - pedestrians have absolute right of way. Here's is California's position:
Well, we can't compare an organized traffic like US to a "run on mayhem" traffic like ours. Nevertheless i almost always stop for pedestrians. The "almost" is for people who jump into traffic at the last minute. I just slow down to avoid any panic braking. The "always" is for people who are waiting to cross. For them i always slow down and then stop.
Torqy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 23:55   #22795
Senior - BHPian

Drunk travels bus driver in hyderabad - 16 times the permissible BAC level. Hyderabad to Bhadrachalam private travels bus with 50 passengers inside.

http://www.thenewsminute.com/article...k-he-was-57122

Quote:
According to [Hayathnagar PS SHO] Goud, as checking was in progress, a bus-driver came from behind, dodged the check-post, rammed into a road divider, before being intercepted and forced to stop after a short chase by the police.

"We had to chase him for a few minutes, before we intercepted him. With a strong odour of alcohol emanating from him, we made him take a breathalyzer test, which showed a BAC of 474 mg!”

The permissible limit, according to the Hyderabad Traffic Police, is 30 mg/100 ml.

Last edited by hserus : 11th February 2017 at 23:57.
Old 12th February 2017, 10:44   #22796
Distinguished - BHPian

This Tata Hexa TD car was involved in a high-speed crash near Coimbatore about a week ago.

The airbags deployed and the passengers walked out of the car without any injuries or even a scratch on either of them.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-7.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-5.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-6.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg

Pics credit - Srinivasan M P (posted by Aneesh Surendran in a FB group)
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 15:25   #22797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As the ambulance passed me and skipped a signal, there was this bunch of heroes who tried to tail it and one guy got a nice slap for what happened here:
Anyone concentrate on the music ? Its in perfect sync with what happens in the video !! Watch from when the bang is about to happen !

Last edited by GTO : 12th February 2017 at 21:59. Reason: Please don't quote videos :)
normally_crazy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 16:27   #22798
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Try being a pedestrian in Bangalore, and you will be a jaywalker in no time at all.
Agree with you. Many of us critisizing the woman crossing the road ( or her lack of pace! ) may have chosen to cross at that very spot. Sure, we'd have chosen to dart rather than amble across. But thats besides the point. From the perspective of the motorist every pedestrial wanting to cross is an 'idiot'. Try being a pedestrian - in any city / town in India - and in less than a minute you will conclude that every second motorist is a certified psychopath

Quote:
So this happened today and the two wheeler rider got a well deserved slap from the guy who got hit.
We often cite places like North America or Europe where traffic management works and motorist comply with rules. In these places the biker following the ambulance through a red light is a traffic offender and the person that slapped him after the accident is guilty of battery/assault, period.

Last edited by Zed : 12th February 2017 at 16:28.
Zed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 21:23   #22799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

The airbags deployed and the passengers walked out of the car without any injuries or even a scratch on either of them.
Good for them and to TATA for building a safe car.
But, any update if there were people injured due to the drivers high speed testing which seems to look like ended in a shop?
Old 12th February 2017, 23:50   #22800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Got these pics from a friend. Apparently happened in Bangalore. Sad to look at the state of the H2. I'm not sure how it happened so can't comment on whether the rider was at fault or not.
The same pics are also posted in supercar and import crashes in India. As per the post the rider is in icu and he crashed the bike at 200 onto a wall after blacking out after crossing 300. The post says happened while drag racing hence no insurance claims as well

Most Viewed