Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2017, 21:36   #22876
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Anybody has any information? As Haria pointed out, the rear windshield is broken too.
According to a telugu news channel, the driver applied sudden brake to avoid hitting a guy on the road.
Due to this the vehicle lost control and toppled.
There were 6 people in the vehicle at the time of accident.

Last edited by Hickstead : 25th February 2017 at 21:50. Reason: corrected typos
Hickstead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 23:25   #22877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
If you are not above the speed limit, I think you can control front tyre burst. Don't you think so? Well, that is what I believe. I mean speeds of 80 to 100 will be okay, right. Then comes the question of which car, the tyre profile etc. Hmm, its complicated.
Honestly, I just cannot contemplate ! I am apprehensive of how much the driver can do to prevent any mishap in such instances. I hope you're right.

But Tyre burst on a highway, I presume, would be perilous even at moderate speeds like 70-80 kmph too.Not only would this endanger the lives of people in the vehicle, but also of the unsuspecting pedestrians.
Old 26th February 2017, 00:00   #22878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
the driver applied sudden brake to avoid hitting a guy on the road.
Due to this the vehicle lost control and toppled.
I read that as driver was going too fast and failed to control the car.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 00:15   #22879
Senior - BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlazer007 View Post
Had an accident at around 9:30 in the morning on Langford road opposite to Foodworld,Bangalore.

Never claimed an auto insurance beforehand, hence i am unclear of the process to follow. Insurance is B2B and cashless.

I'll suggest you show this video to insurance people are take their advice. Did the Commercial vehicle have valid insurance ? If not, he's in serious trouble. Also ask for estimate for damages from the showroom. Present the bill to the CV owner and see if he's willing pay anything. If you can get him to pay you some money, he will not only accept his mistake but also work to not repeat the same in future.
blackwasp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 00:47   #22880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have not registered an FIR but have filled up the insurance claim form. The insurance guys are supposed to come on Monday for inspection. Never claimed an auto insurance beforehand, hence i am unclear of the process to follow. Insurance is B2B and cashless.
Unless there was any personal injury or unless you want to file a case against the other party, FIR is not necessary. The claim will be processed without it, no worries.

You have good temper, sticking to the business side of the accident. A cool head on the shoulders is what most people lack.
honeybee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 10:25   #22881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Unless there was any personal injury or unless you want to file a case against the other party, FIR is not necessary. The claim will be processed without it, no worries.

You have good temper, sticking to the business side of the accident. A cool head on the shoulders is what most people lack.
Not necessarily injuries.
If you want to get the bill settled against the third party insurance from the other vehicle's insurance, FIR is must. You need to go to court and get it settled. Both vehicles will be impounded till the inspection is done and report is submitted o the court.
FORTified is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 10:25   #22882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
But Tyre burst on a highway, I presume, would be perilous even at moderate speeds like 70-80 kmph too.Not only would this endanger the lives of people in the vehicle, but also of the unsuspecting pedestrians.
Tyre bursts are terrible and in this case unlikely to make a vehicle loose control instantly and make it jump the median. Radial tyres, as seen on the Innova with alloy wheels, will loose air slowly from any possible place available if overinflated or heated up. Modern tyres are really safe as long as they are used in a safe environment. Have driven over a sickle at 100 kph or more and lost complete rear tyre once, nothing major thereafter. Did not even realise until it fully deflated slowly.

However, on most of our highways truckers and local jeeps stop their vehicles with stones preventing them from rolling and these are left behind once their job is done. They are far more dangerous and can completely offset the balance of the vehicle sending it into opposing lanes or fields, specially at 3 digit speeds.

Quote:
Had an accident at around 9:30 in the morning on Langford road opposite to Foodworld,Bangalore.
Feel the pain. I used to be a regular in that area, specially the road opposite food world where the width varies constantly due to vehicles parked. Countless dings and scratches on the cars as memories. The CV is probably not from that area, else it will never maintain the left lane on that road.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 17:32   #22883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Tyre bursts are terrible and in this case unlikely to make a vehicle loose control instantly and make it jump the median. Radial tyres, as seen on the Innova with alloy wheels, will loose air slowly from any possible place available if overinflated or heated up.
You are assuming that the tire was not worn out and nearly bald or out of shape, as many of these taxi or university staff car innovas are .. a tyre burst in such cases can be more catastrophic than in a newer one that's in good shape.
Old 26th February 2017, 19:20   #22884

An accident in the early hours of Friday claimed the lives of three car-borne students of engineering at Thapar University, while another survived with serious injuries, on Bhadson Road in Patiala. The four, students of BTech at the university, were in another friend’s Swift Dzire car when it crashed into two poles and also rammed a shop wall, scattering bricks on the road, just after the Thursday-Friday midnight.

Heard that when the crash happened the cars odometer was stuck at 180
Torquey2300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 23:12   #22885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquey2300 View Post

I presume you meant Speedometer. It's highly improbable that Swift Dzire can reach 180 kmph..
badri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 23:52   #22886
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquey2300 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by badri View Post
I presume you meant Speedometer. It's highly improbable that Swift Dzire can reach 180 kmph..
DZire has a top speed of 170 kmph (V-Box number). So it's quite possible for the speedo to show 180 kmph (thanks to speedometer error). But the driver did not brake at all? Now that's quite odd.

Anyway, according to a research report, there is a very strong correlation between speedo stuck needle reading and actual impact speed.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 02:01   #22887

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
DZire has a top speed of 170 kmph (V-Box number). So it's quite possible for the speedo to show 180 kmph (thanks to speedometer error). But the driver did not brake at all? Now that's quite odd.

Anyway, according to a research report, there is a very strong correlation between speedo stuck needle reading and actual impact speed.
A friend from same city told that the speedometer was showing 180 kmph of the accidented dzire. i am not sure whether the driver applied brakes or not.
Old 27th February 2017, 09:32   #22888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Just tending on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ANI_news/status/835498505833697280

Another case of the front crumple zone not being useful. Waiting for more details.
This car has completely rolled over and stopped on it's wheels again.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 17:38   #22889
BHPian

Mishap for not the mistake of driver

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170227172742.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170227173031.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170227172920.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170227172842.jpg

God on earth knows why there was no sign board that the Work is in progress
There will be kids playing here and lots of two wheelers plying by this road yet no safety taken care. This happened in Begur link road
abhayankara is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 17:51   #22890
BHPian

Not that whoever did that is not at fault, but the place looks lit well enough to know there's a trench or at least some work is in progress. The driver is at fault too.
Vysakh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed