Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2017, 15:07   #23386
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

3 of a family die in AP, after I20 crashes into RTC Bus.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg  

Old 29th April 2017, 17:32   #23387
BHPian

Any news regarding the accident of actor Vikram Chatterjee and model Sonika Chauhan early morning today in Cal? Sadly the model passed away and the other is severely injured.

Last edited by haldar_siliguri : 29th April 2017 at 17:40. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 29th April 2017, 17:35   #23388
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFan View Post
3 of a family die in AP, after I20 crashes into RTC Bus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
Any news regarding the accident of actor Vikarm Chatterjee and model Sonika Chauhan early morning today in Cal? Sadly the model passed away and the other is severely injured.
I am certain, these are cases of death caused by not wearing a seat belt!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 17:43   #23389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I would think so. Especially because latest news that I just now read says that Vikram, the one driving, has not been that seriously injured, probably hinting at the fact that he was wearing a seat belt while Sonika who died probably wasn't. Also the airbags reportedly had not deployed, don't know but more information is crucial.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 17:51   #23390
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this right now on my way to home. I wonder why is he still driving it on road like this. Seems car has taken the hit from behind quite well as passenger compartment seems intact.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170429_174420.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170429_174422.jpg  

Old 30th April 2017, 09:04   #23391
Senior - BHPian

Twist in Jayalalithaa’s Kodanad estate case, 2 suspects meet with accidents.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...le18298554.ece

Quote:
C. Kanagaraj, who had had served as a driver in Poes Garden, was killed in Salem; the other suspect, K.V. Sayan, was seriously injured even as his daughter and wife were killed.

The two prime suspects in the recent murder of a watchman at the Kodanad Estate bungalow of former chief Minister Jayalalithaa, have been involved in serious road accidents, leaving one dead and the other critically injued.

The primary suspect, named Accused 1, C. Kanagaraj, was killed in an accident at Attur, while the second person, K.V. Sayan was seriously injured even as his daughter and wife were killed, when his car rammed into a parked lorry near Palakkad.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-kodanadfinaljpg.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-kod2.jpeg
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 09:58   #23392
Senior - BHPian

I'm reading in a (less known vernacular) news website about an accident in Munnar.

A family of 4 - husband, wife, two daughters aged 7 & 5 - from Bangalore were holidaying in Munnar. The husband is a cycling enthusiast, and was riding his bicycle in front and the wife was driving their car behind him. The article claims that the wife got distracted trying to change the CD in the in-car system and crashed into the cycle ahead.

It seems the wife retained sufficient presence of mind to load the husband into the car but she didn't know where the nearest hospital was; by the time she located one he was dead.

For those who can read Malayalam - the tragic story is reported here:

http://www.marunadanmalayali.com/new...ukumaran-71922

Edit: report in English - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/58438236.cms

Last edited by binand : 30th April 2017 at 10:01.
Old 30th April 2017, 10:28   #23393
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sonika was not wearing a seatbelt (numerous reports quoting the cops on the same). Sure doesn't look like a crash where someone should have lost her life. Sad, but people just don't get the value of buckling up.

GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 12:19   #23394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also the airbags reportedly had not deployed, don't know but more information is crucial.
Nope, the airbags did not deploy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Quote:
Especially because latest news that I just now read says that Vikram, the one driving, has not been that seriously injured, probably hinting at the fact that he was wearing a seat belt while Sonika who died probably wasn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sonika was not wearing a seatbelt (numerous reports quoting the cops on the same).
One of the pics posted at this link clearly shows that the driver was buckled in, while the passenger wasn't. Not posting it due to obvious reasons.

Shame, really. Sheer waste of a promising life.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 12:39   #23395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Twist in Jayalalithaa’s Kodanad estate case, 2 suspects meet with accidents.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...le18298554.ece

Attachment 1634337
Attachment 1634338
Someone tying up loose ends? Intriguing saga.
Old 30th April 2017, 13:14   #23396
BHPian

An accident on Madurai bypass road. The tanker took a sharp cut to avoid an on coming vehicle resulting in broken front wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170430_124731_hdr.jpg  

LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 15:01   #23397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
One of the pics posted at this link clearly shows that the driver was buckled in, while the passenger wasn't. Not posting it due to obvious reasons.

That seems to have been done later. Obviously whoever was driving had to take off the seatbelt to get out, secondly during an accident, the pretensioner pulls the seatbelt wearer in, and then after impact, the load limiter allows for a little slack so as not to place excessive force on the chest. After the load limiter has done its work, the entire seatbelt needs to be replaced because it will not buckle up like you see in the picture; with no slack. It won't even wind back into the B pillar. Either something went terribly wrong safety system wise in that Toyota, or none of the passengers were wearing seatbelts.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 30th April 2017 at 15:03.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 15:06   #23398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

On the contrary, I think, given how the driver seat belt is still buckled, I would assume driver was sitting on it, rather than being belted up. A common practice in our country to silence the seat belt reminder.

Thinking out loud, during extraction, wouldn't the belt need to be cut or removed first? Why would someone put it back after getting the injured out?

Also, if the driver was responsible enough to wear a seat belt himself, he would have insisted for the passenger to do so as well. Just my opinion.
Dry Ice is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 21:37   #23399
Senior - BHPian

Your assumption is spot on. In our country for some reason wearing seatbelt is considered un-cool, un necessary & even demeaning.

Common sense has nothing in common with status, intelligence, education, upbringing, success, status, position/station in life.
All of us lack it at some time or the other, the really unfortunate ones lack it while they are driving/are being driven in vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
On the contrary, I think, given how the driver seat belt is still buckled, I would assume driver was sitting on it, rather than being belted up. A common practice in our country to silence the seat belt reminder.
khoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 22:39   #23400
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove on Bangalore - Mangalore road today and on the way back from Yediyur just before Kunigal there was a road block. Apparently major accident with multiple vehicles and I saw at least 2 vehicle down by the service lane and 1 bike on the road. Did not stop as there were enough and more people around and also an i20 with a doctor sticker was parked. We had stopped for coffee at Swati and I was telling my better half that we should probably take Magadi & get home as I saw a lot of cars zip by with hardly any distance between them. Crazy how people just loose common sense when you see a few cars zip by or approach to overtake you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks