Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2017, 19:49   #23581
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
A decade back going to Nandi hills on weekends/holidays was risky, thanks to irresponsible people. am sure now its much worse.
Yes, it's become a "must avoid" place and i shudder at the thought of drunkards / idiots thundering downhill in their souped up rides / cars with no regard for their / others' lives.

:(
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 19:52   #23582
Senior - BHPian

Innova driver suffered damages for no fault of his. Looks like he even damaged his left trying to avoid the nut.
Nandi hills climb is very tight in some sections and unless you know the road that well, it is risky to speed as it is on any ghat sections.

Now with Go Pro's and dashcam's being the rage, which is good in a way, the blame game can be sorted out.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 21:19   #23583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Yes, it's become a "must avoid" place and i shudder at the thought of drunkards / idiots thundering downhill in their souped up rides / cars with no regard for their / others' lives.

:(
Yup, even though I stay in the north BLR area, I have gone only once and learnt my lesson. Entire Nandi Hills is full of idiots either showing off and/or totally overloaded Omnis/Sumos driving in totally inappropriate manners.

Add to that drunken driving starting post-lunch. Unless you are masochistic, please take care and avoid!
itwasntme is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 21:24   #23584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Yup, even though I stay in the north BLR area, I have gone only once and learnt my lesson. Entire Nandi Hills is full of idiots either showing off and/or totally overloaded Omnis/Sumos driving in totally inappropriate manners.

Add to that drunken driving starting post-lunch. Unless you are masochistic, please take care and avoid!
To really enjoy the road, it's best to go on a weekday. I went on Sunday just once and learnt my lesson. It was like the whole of Bangalore's crowd has descended on the place!
I went twice after that on weekday mornings, and in comparison, it's absolute bliss. You really get to admire the flowing curvy nature of the road.
Sad that on weekends it becomes very risky.
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 21:52   #23585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
in a panic situation it is better to calculate
I don't think you need to say any more. Time for calculation? Like changing down, if there was time, it wasn't a real emergency! Ordinary thinking/reacting time is already quite a lot of stopping time.

And that biker on the hill road looks like someone who would aim at his own front gate and miss.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 24th May 2017 at 21:54.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 10:59   #23586
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Driver was inside the car when the tree fell on top, but he reclined the car seat all the way down, just 5 minutes before the storm to take some rest, and escaped miraculously!!
You snooze, you lose..? Not in this case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajoshi View Post
Maybe we should think of a PIL for banning bullbar like accessories. That makes much more sense than the stupid ban on sun-film in a hot country like India.
This is actually a very interesting & good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhavgpai View Post
This is not an accident (yet).
Might have got more attention if it was a Ferrari being driven by a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Looks like a case of target fixation, he seems to have froze seeing the Innova and hits rear brakes and skids straight into the Innova.
He was going too fast and his line through the corner was all wrong.

In fact, I'd even say that if the Innova wasn't there, he might have scraped the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
I hope the cabbie was not harassed for no fault of his.
Yeah, poor guy. Somehow i doubt the bike guy would have even covered the expenses for the damage to the Innova.

EDIT: Youtube comment reply says "yes he had to pay the loss of the Innova car..... "

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th May 2017 at 13:59.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 11:25   #23587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
So, in a panic situation it is better to calculate the static friction and modulate the brakes yourselves than rely on ABS. What if my two wheels are on gravel and two wheels on the tarmac?
On the lighter side, if you have time to do all this, will it still qualify to be called a 'Panic situation' ?
FORTified is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 11:50   #23588
BHPian

Well after seeing the video of the stupid biker hitting Innova, I will now have to be extra careful on my next trip to Nandi hills. Whenever some relatives come to my house I usually drive them to Nandi Hills and usually it is on Saturdays or Sundays. I have already visited around 12 times to Nandi Hills apart from the horrific traffic jams I have never seen something of this sort.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 13:19   #23589
BHPian

This accident happened near Mysore on a state highway and was caught on my dashcam.

The biker as seen in front of me is not wearing a helmet and tries to overtake the car ahead of him without looking out for oncoming traffic. The unlucky motorist coming from the opposite direction suffers as a result of this miscalculated overtake.

Though I generally maintain a 2-3 second distance from the vehicle ahead of me, the biker here is flung from his bike right onto my lane due to which I had to brake hard and swerve to avoid running him over.

The importance of strapping the helmet is visible in the picture as the helmet is flung into the air on impact thus rendering it useless.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picsart_052006.55.27.jpg

The tyre skid mark from my Honda City ZX Vtec (Non-ABS) shod with 195 section Michelin Energy tyres is visible in this picture.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20170520190118.png
sharc_biker is offline   (73) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 13:26   #23590
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
The tyre skid mark from my Honda City ZX Vtec (Non-ABS) shod with 195 section Michelin Energy tyres is visible in this picture.
Wow.... awesome save man!! Safe following distance and excellent reflexes on your part

The first time I watched the video I was concentrating on the accident so much that I didn't realise just how close the guy came to being run-over by your car

Animated GIF (Note: slightly faster than real-time)
Name:  3GIF.gif
Views: 29995
Size:  2.77 MB

Seems like the helmetless guy was was going for a semi-decent overtake, but the Baleno moved farther to the right than needed.

It's also shocking how many people wear helmets without strapping them down. On an impact, unstrapped helmets will be the first thing to fly off!

Any update on how the two bikers are doing?

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th May 2017 at 16:50.
Rehaan is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 13:26   #23591
BHPian

Quote:
This accident happened near Mysore on a state highway and was caught on my dashcam.
Man, that was a bad one. Hope both of the bikers are OK. It was clearly the fault of the helmet less guy! Moreover you braked on time and did not run him down!

I guess Rehaan and I responded together and the post is almost the same.

Last edited by sumathindra : 25th May 2017 at 13:28. Reason: edits
Old 25th May 2017, 13:28   #23592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not seeing any efforts by the biker to brake ! why was that? He only tried to turn left.

Quote:

You were able to steer to left and avoid hitting the biker, Is that marks from rear tyre?

Last edited by arjithin : 25th May 2017 at 13:29.
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 13:54   #23593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The tyre skid mark from my Honda City ZX Vtec (Non-ABS) shod with 195 section Michelin Energy tyres
Good reflexes buddy. BUT this is why I never shod any of my family's cars with these eco-nonsense tyres. Even my WagonR runs on Potenza's (only premium tyres available in 13inch size) which offer more grip than the car is mechanically capable of but it's always good to be able to rely on great cornering and braking capabilities of a more premium tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I am not seeing any efforts by the biker to brake ! why was that? He only tried to turn left.
Watch the video again you can clearly see his brake lights light up.

It is sad to note that even though we have the most bike riders in the world, there is a complete lack of biking culture or any responsibilities or awareness. Most of these bikers are semi literate folks on commuter bikes who only ride that because they couldn't afford anything else and couldn't care about nothing. The other day while I was riding home, a man in his 50s on a V15 came in my lane trying to overtake a bus, it was a narrow road and he was coming at me head on after flashing my lights and honking, I was forced to risk taking my metzelers off the road to avoid crashing into him. Then once he had stalled his bike and stopped, I saw that he had a cellphone wedged between his ear and helmet. I was just shocked to see that a 50 year old grown man who probably has family responsibilities, is behaving so recklessly on a two wheeler.

When I learnt how to ride, my first lesson was that people don't notice bikes on the road and that cars will swerve into your lane, cross the road while you are going down it and expect you to dodge or brake etc. and then my second lesson was that most of the other bikers are also not really 'bikers' but just buffoons who probably deserve the treatment they are getting from bigger vehicles

Last edited by IshaanIan : 25th May 2017 at 13:56.
IshaanIan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 14:23   #23594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Though I generally maintain a 2-3 second distance from the vehicle ahead of me, the biker here is flung from his bike right onto my lane due to which I had to brake hard and swerve to avoid running him over.
Good work. First-class driving on your part --- but thank goodness you were able to go off the road at that point. One tree could have spelled disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Seems like the helmetless guy was was going for a decent overtake, but the Baleno moved very far to the right and squeezed him!
The biker did not look ahead and see that the car must move to the right to overtake the truck ahead. Also, the driver did not indicate, but bikers often don't look at indicators anyway.

Driving, as someone said, like a walk in the park. I really think that these completely uneducated riders actually think there is no difference between walking and riding, even at high speeds. As per IshaanIan's comment above: total lack of proper education, awareness and responsibility.

Is it one of the ill effects of carrying children on bikes, that they are actually learning two-wheeler balance as early in life as learning to walk, and never see the difference?

Please don't think that I support carrying babies or children on bikes, or under-age driving: I absolutely do not. But given that it routinely happens, and there is no sign of it being stopped, with a little proper education India could have the most awesome skilled bikers in the world.

In our dreams

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 25th May 2017 at 14:29.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 14:29   #23595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1642069
Amazing reflex action else you also would have suffered with no fault of yours. Another stupid mistake he did was to try to overtake a car which is overtaking another vehicle ahead of it. I see this happening in many instances with cars also. You have a vehicle ahead of you and are planning a careful overtake. Just when you think you have got an all clear and start the overtake, an idiot from behind just zooms past both you and the vehicle ahead. This was a similar case. Should I look to my right before changing lanes? Definitely yes. But I think that holds good on split roads. On single carriageway roads like these, I would be fully concentrating on the vehicle ahead as well as oncoming vehicles.

But quite surprised to see you could steer the car when the wheel was skidding. Were they the rear wheels? If the front wheels had locked up, the biker would have been no more in all probablity. The upsize has helped for sure too.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed