Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2017, 14:30   #23596
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Yeah, poor guy. Somehow i doubt the bike guy would have even covered the expenses for the damage to the Innova.

EDIT: Youtube comment reply says "yes he had to pay the loss of the Innova car..... "
Thanks for adding that .GIF.

Yeah even I read that the biker ended up paying for his damages. My edit time was up before I could add that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
This accident happened near Mysore on a state highway and was caught on my dashcam.

Epic save!

Man that is a scary situation to be in, these situations highlight the value of a dashcam. The biker swung out way too wide and once the Baleno also started moving to the right, the biker drifts a bit more to the right striking the oncoming motorist for no fault of his.

Last edited by Shanksta : 25th May 2017 at 14:38.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 17:15   #23597
BHPian

Quote:
Though I generally maintain a 2-3 second distance from the vehicle ahead of me, the biker here is flung from his bike right onto my lane due to which I had to brake hard and swerve to avoid running him over.
If you had run over him, you would've got arrested. That's how cop logic works. People have hit potholes, fallen and come under the wheels of the vehicles following them. And those drivers get arrested.

:(
Torqy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 17:57   #23598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
If you had run over him, you would've got arrested. That's how cop logic works. People have hit potholes, fallen and come under the wheels of the vehicles following them. And those drivers get arrested.

I guess in such an event dashcam footage would have saved him from any accusations. I hope the cops take that as evidence if i am not wrong.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 19:52   #23599
BHPian

Quote:
This accident happened near Mysore on a state highway and was caught on my dashcam.
Awesome reflex and presence of mind! Kudos to you!

The biker is lucky indeed (hope he is OK). Things would have been much worse if another vehicle was tailing you. No way the driver would have spotted the fallen biker.
Old 25th May 2017, 20:05   #23600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Wow.... awesome save man!! Safe following distance and excellent reflexes on your part

The first time I watched the video I was concentrating on the accident so much that I didn't realise just how close the guy came to being run-over by your car

Any update on how the two bikers are doing?
Thank you. Better safe than sorry. Luckily for both the bikers, they escaped with relatively minor injuries to their legs (The helmetless guy's big toe was severed 70% since he was wearing "chappal") and some scrapes to their arms and head. They both regained consciousness after a few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I am not seeing any efforts by the biker to brake ! why was that? He only tried to turn left.

You were able to steer to left and avoid hitting the biker, Is that marks from rear tyre?
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

But quite surprised to see you could steer the car when the wheel was skidding. Were they the rear wheels? If the front wheels had locked up, the biker would have been no more in all probablity. The upsize has helped for sure too.
The marks are from the front right tyre which was on the outer side when i swerved the car left. The steering did feel like it locked up. But, I still had partial control over the steering (probably because the front left tyre which still had traction). But, there was a loud tyre screeching noise and the steering weighed a ton and the whole manoeuvre left me with a sore right thumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Good work. First-class driving on your part --- but thank goodness you were able to go off the road at that point. One tree could have spelled disaster.

The biker did not look ahead and see that the car must move to the right to overtake the truck ahead. Also, the driver did not indicate, but bikers often don't look at indicators anyway.

Yes. I was very lucky to have had enough space on the side of the road.

The biker confidently moved right to look ahead and overtake instead of looking ahead first and then moving right, which was a very reckless decision on his part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post

Yes. In fact, a large crowd from a nearby village soon gathered and some were spreading rumours that my car hit them both and that's how the accident happened. Soon, there was a group of "experts" who began examining my car to look for damage and one "expert" even had the audacity to point at an old broken left fog-light and say this must have been the point of impact.

They all gawked at my dashcam like it was from Mars when I told them I have a camera to prove what happened. The bigger vehicle is always the patsy in this kind of accidents.
sharc_biker is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 20:48   #23601
Distinguished - BHPian

This Skoda Laura (registered in Aurangabad) was carrying five students in Nagpur City, after they had a good booze party in the home of one of them (whose parents were out of station). All were students aged 19, 20 and so on. The incident took place on Monday 22nd May night.

After the booze party, they headed for an eatery near Futala Lake (nowadays a picturesque spot). Not finding any restaurant open in the dead of the night, they decided to move on and search for another eatery. To reach the new venue, they were passing by the Ambazari lake. The downhill road made the driver lose control of the speeding car and dash against an electric pole. A nearby CCTV camera filmed the incident at 11.22 pm, showing the car getting tossed up and landing on its right side.

A girl Drushti Sonarkar, seated to the left, on the rear seat died in the accident. Other four passengers suffered minor injuries.

The news:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/58830491.cms

The news and the CCTV video footage:

http://www.nagpurtoday.in/live-video...-cctv/05242105

The video footage is horrific and shows the car being tossed up like a toy. The stability of the bodyshell of the Skoda Laura is marvellous, despite such a gory happening. The young girl was killed because the rear left door had opened. Had it been any other best-selling fragile make, with such a tossing up and crashlanding, I am sure most of the passengers would have been severely injured and even died.

Below are some pictures clicked by me, at the Ambazari police station where the car is now parked. The two front airbags were activated as will be seen. The rear left door got opened as is evident and press reports say the girl was thrown out of the car.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170525_122202930.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170525_122211735.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170525_122217089_hdr.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170525_122224361_hdr.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170525_122232872.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170525_122237051_hdr.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170525_122243716.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170525_122249691.jpg

Quote:

The biker as seen in front of me is not wearing a helmet and tries to overtake the car ahead of him without looking out for oncoming traffic. The unlucky motorist coming from the opposite direction suffers as a result of this miscalculated overtake.
The video shows total callousness of the biker moving in your direction. He sighted the slow moving, yellow mini-truck/ three- wheeler. And the Baleno was moving at a speed. He knew that the Baleno would within a few seconds overtake the mini-truck/three wheeler and move to the right. The Baleno was moving and could not have slowed down to allow this retard to overtake him. Fully in the know, ( he is unfit to be given a driving licence if he does not have even this perception and common sense) the retard was overtaking the Baleno, while it was overtaking the mini-truck/three wheeler. And he put the life of the oncoming biker who was duly on the left, at peril.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th May 2017 at 18:58. Reason: merging back to back posts
anjan_c2007 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 21:21   #23602
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Incredible​ save man!

I had goosebumps watching the clip. Good job, seriously.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 22:14   #23603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
...this is why I never shod any of my family's cars with these eco-nonsense tyres. Even my WagonR runs on Potenza's (only premium tyres available in 13inch size) which offer more grip than the car is mechanically capable of but it's always good to be able to rely on great cornering and braking capabilities of a more premium tyre.
Quote:
But quite surprised to see you could steer the car when the wheel was skidding. Were they the rear wheels? If the front wheels had locked up, the biker would have been no more in all probablity. The upsize has helped for sure too.
Quote:

The marks are from the front right tyre which was on the outer side when i swerved the car left. The steering did feel like it locked up. But, I still had partial control over the steering (probably because the front left tyre which still had traction).
The Michelin 195 Energy tyres have very narrow (but deep) treads running perpendicular to the direction of the car's motion. This design is probably intended to reduce its rolling resistance. I always suspected and observed that this tyre tends to (relatively) easily loose grip (squealing/sliding forward) when panic braking at higher speeds.

However, this tyre comes with extremely deep and wide continuous treads (about 3 lines in each tyre) running along its circumference. This actually gives this tyre very good resistance to sliding sideways and good cornering ability.

The third photo (skid mark) shows exactly the same, the car squealed and slid forward rubbing those tyre marks onto the road with those thick prominent lines caused by those grippy grooves that held the tyre from sliding sideways giving you that steering ability(although limited) during the skid.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 25th May 2017 at 22:23.
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 23:43   #23604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
However, this tyre comes with extremely deep and wide continuous treads (about 3 lines in each tyre) running along its circumference. This actually gives this tyre very good resistance to sliding sideways and good cornering ability.

The third photo (skid mark) shows exactly the same, the car squealed and slid forward rubbing those tyre marks onto the road with those thick prominent lines caused by those grippy grooves that held the tyre from sliding sideways giving you that steering ability(although limited) during the skid.
I actually had Michellin energy xm2s on my wagon r before, and even for the Wagon Rs poor athleticism in terms of its inherently awkward dynamic abilities as a car, I had those tyres squealing on nearly a daily basis. While they 'did the job' so to speak, they are still no match for a tread pattern that isn't entirely focused on low rolling resistance and an entirely different rubber compound. Forget being a match, they are far off, to the point that once you upgrade you can never go back to any energys or earth1s etc.
Old 26th May 2017, 00:35   #23605
BHPian

Happened on the Narsingi Gachibowli service road. No idea what happened and what babged into this TUV.

This is a pretty narrow road and most of the times drivers tend to cross over and enter into the opposite lane especially while overtaking. Must have been one such case which went bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20170526-00.25.46-2.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20170526-00.25.46-1.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20170526-00.25.46.jpeg  

Last edited by bigben : 26th May 2017 at 00:46.
bigben is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 09:01   #23606
Distinguished - BHPian

Good save there. Must have lost some of YOUR nine lives in that fiasco!

You are also lucky that this SH had much better and wide shoulders than the usual 2 feet of fall-off. You could by reflex jam on the non-ABS brakes, turn sharply left and still be able to maintain control even with 2 wheels on the shoulder!

In different circumstances (God forbid), you and your car would have been a totally blameless victim if there had been no shoulders or a even a tree/concrete structure!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 09:35   #23607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another stupid mistake he did was to try to overtake a car which is overtaking another vehicle ahead of it. I see this happening in many instances with cars also. You have a vehicle ahead of you and are planning a careful overtake. Just when you think you have got an all clear and start the overtake, an idiot from behind just zooms past both you and the vehicle ahead.
I don't think the biker saw the slow moving three wheeler as the car was directly in between his line of sight. This happens very often with trucks and buses. In fact I am pretty sure most truckers will agree with the highlighted portion of your post. We see a truck moving at his own speed ahead, we plan to overtake him and at the last moment he veers right to overtake a two wheeler or a three wheeler.

Its important for anyone to watch their mirrors when changing lanes. I am sure even we car drivers are guilty of the same as we don't imagine there can be someone one driving so fast that they'll overtake us when we are trying to overtake another vehicle. Indian car market has exploded in the past decade or so and there are some unbelievably fast cars out there. If people just watch their mirrors and just concentrate on driving while driving I am sure 90% of the accidents can be avoided. Guess that's why machines are making such a good case for taking over driving from us
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 09:39   #23608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Happened on the Narsingi Gachibowli service road. No idea what happened and what babged into this TUV.

This is a pretty narrow road and most of the times drivers tend to cross over and enter into the opposite lane especially while overtaking. Must have been one such case which went bad.
That road is totally unmonitored by cops and it is becoming a nightmare during night time travel. The guys on the foot path side of the road tend to think they have the right of way even though there is no need for them to make this risky maneuver.

I just don't challenge any of these idiots and make sure I apply brakes and slow down well before hand to allow them to pass.

Such a pleasant road, but turning into idiot highway.
Old 26th May 2017, 09:57   #23609
BHPian

Quote:

Though I generally maintain a 2-3 second distance from the vehicle ahead of me, the biker here is flung from his bike right onto my lane due to which I had to brake hard and swerve to avoid running him over.
Amazing presence of mind and focus sir! Your experience has sent a shiver down my spine. Cant even imagine what would have happened if there was someone with a lesser presence of mind in there. Your video again only reiterates the need of a dashcam especially when people had started accusing you of the accident. Most cases people dont even wait to talk but start hitting the driver in most cases.
Old 26th May 2017, 10:15   #23610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Looks more like a Mahindra KUV from the pictures

Most Viewed