Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Saw this in the news today.
http://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/24-ye...-lateststories

24 Year old racing his Benelli in Delhi Traffic, crashes into pedestrian and dies.
Irresponsible Immature morons. Incidents like this makes me wonder if easy affordability of such machines is a good thing or not in our country.
Old 16th August 2017, 21:41   #24317
BANNED

My deepest sympathies brother. While I feel tempted to berate the deceased rider, can I really touch my heart and say that there was never once a situation where I were doing a similarly dangerous thing impulsively? NO.

I have put around 50,000kms in long rides and by God's grace have made it out unscathed. By the time when my motorcycling was drawing to a close, when the motorcycle was getting old and out powered, I started feeling inadequate and had a close call once. Now, I do have decided to avoid buying a powerful motorcycle to ease the nerves of my parents after having tormented them with an ever looming gloom of expecting a similar news for almost a decade.

All the instances of the young biker deaths now make me feel bad about the strain similar news of past should have had on my parents and the fortitude with which they bore it.

The sense of inadequacy which leads to the dangerously reckless deeds happens to every one just like a natural calamity. Though many people berate the victims with a good intention of making people desist from it in future they actually intensify the sense of inadequacy in potential victims among young bikers.

Yes, talk against unsafe acts on road. But do be gentle on the deceased. Their dear ones need care.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 16th August 2017 at 21:58.
COMMUTER is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 22:13   #24318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Got as a whatsapp forward. Courtesy to whoever shot it:-

Can this happen?
This can certainly happen. Remember, the sudden acceleration cases in Toyota/Lexus that started around 2009. Some of those cases were actually traced to floor mat problems. The most tragic one happened in San Diego, California (I used to live there, at that time - so followed the case very closely). A California Highway Patrol Officer and his relatives perished because he couldn't bring the car to a stop. His death is caught on tape as he was on call with 911 just before the vehicle crashed.https://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/10/...saylor-family/

So, it's very important secure driver side floor mats properly.
dj78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 22:25   #24319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriram.raghavan View Post
Saw this in the Indian Express newspaper today, without the mention of the vehicle make and model. TOI has a picture at least that shows the make. Can someone guess what could have caused this fire?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/60042729.cms
Saw the charred Ritz after the first toll on the L&T bypass road (from Palakkad side). Man, it's a scary sight! May his soul R.I.P.

Please keep a dry powder firex in the car (I keep one in the rear passenger footwell) and something like a hobby knife in the glovebox (or an easily accessible place). With modern cars having so many electrical components, the risk of a fire breakout is much higher. And it spreads pretty quickly.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th August 2017 at 22:27.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 22:45   #24320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Saw the charred Ritz after the first toll on the L&T bypass road (from Palakkad side). Man, it's a scary sight! May his soul R.I.P.

Please keep a dry powder firex in the car (I keep one in the rear passenger footwell) and something like a hobby knife in the glovebox (or an easily accessible place). With modern cars having so many electrical components, the risk of a fire breakout is much higher. And it spreads pretty quickly.
Makes me wonder if this will be the next in-built safety feature in cars. A couple of fire sensors that can trigger some dry powder/CO2 extinguisher all over the car.
akshaymahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 00:45   #24321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Please keep a dry powder firex in the car (I keep one in the rear passenger footwell) ... ...
Above all, at any sign of smoke, just stop and get out. There are probably whole books, especially on the internet, as to what you could or should do next, but I suspect that the safest advice is get away.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 09:51   #24322
BHPian

In regards to the biker accident, the father has made a statement regretting buying his son the bike. He is now asking for all Superbikes to be banned as our infrastructure is not suited for such bikes.

Ban Superbikes, Says Father Of 24-Year-Old Killed Racing At 150 Kmph

While i cannot comment on the banning of superbikes part as technically speaking any vehicle can be driven to dangerous speed limits, i do feel the anguish and regret the father is facing for having bought his son the bike. I personally think parents need to carefully think through any such purchases that need a degree of maturity and responsibility.

I also agree with what the cops replied when people point out that the biker died trying to avoid a pedestrian. Their reply was simply, if he was adhering to the speed limits, this would have been avoided.

All in all, a tragic loss of life.

Last edited by DriverR : 17th August 2017 at 09:53.
DriverR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 10:12   #24323
BHPian

Here's another unfortunate incident of when there's a mismatch between fast bikes and not-so-fast reflexes

https://www.rushlane.com/biker-dad-g...-12245565.html

why would someone so young be given such machines I wonder and then there's the mirage like track we see which is actually a public road.
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 10:17   #24324
BHPian

Quote:
The accident took place because he was trying to save a pedestrian," said a relative. It is a point that many biking community members have made too.
I understand that they are grieving the loss of a young man and friend but this attitude is sickening. They are blaming a pedestrian for just crossing a city road while the bike was being driven at 150kmph easily 3x the speed limit. How does even the said biker community say that with a straight face?
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 11:32   #24325
BHPian

I dont know when this madness will stop. Everyone seems to be in a hurry. From ladies on Activa to the ROYALS on REs.

Both the incident are tragic.

But which father, in his sane mind, will gift an RC390 to his minor son, who is not even licenced to ride a geared two wheeler. Reports claim that the father is a biker himself, owns a Hayabusa, an RC200 and a Dominar400. He must have educated his son about safe riding before handing over a 44Bhp bike.

RIP the departed souls. Condolences to the families.

Last edited by Ry_der : 17th August 2017 at 12:01.
Ry_der is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 12:16   #24326
Senior - BHPian

OT;
Vehicles have got faster, at the same time roads have got more congested.

I ride and used to drive a mediocre powered bike and car. Both are just perfect for city use. I still have the bike, but I sold the car for a powerful one, one which has the best power to weight ratio for its segment. As a result, I am learning to drive this car peacefully and having to control of my right foot.
It is difficult to re-learn as on a slower vehicle, we tend to accelerate but not gain those very dangerous speeds in a blink of an eye.

I had couple of close calls already, and since I have made up my mind , not to cross a certain speed on city roads, even though the road is empty and a familiar one. For a youngster who gets a fast bike, this is something difficult to inculcate.
I guess it is time to get DL's based on the motorcycle size and power in India. Knowing how DL issuing works, that won't help much either.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 12:35   #24327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
In regards to the biker accident, the father has made a statement regretting buying his son the bike. He is now asking for all Superbikes to be banned as our infrastructure is not suited for such bikes.

Ban Superbikes, Says Father Of 24-Year-Old Killed Racing At 150 Kmph

While i cannot comment on the banning of superbikes part as technically speaking any vehicle can be driven to dangerous speed limits, i do feel the anguish and regret the father is facing for having bought his son the bike. I personally think parents need to carefully think through any such purchases that need a degree of maturity and responsibility.

I also agree with what the cops replied when people point out that the biker died trying to avoid a pedestrian. Their reply was simply, if he was adhering to the speed limits, this would have been avoided.

All in all, a tragic loss of life.
Read this in TOI today.
Yes, I understand he is grieving and that's why such a statement but whose fault is it really?
Most people will say it's the biker's cos he was overspeeding. I beg to differ. It's his father's.

No idea how much the above bike costs but I will assume as it's 600cc must be at least 5 lacs+. Now, can a teenager buy such a bike without his father's money? Nope. So, he approved it and bought it for him. Inspite of knowing very well the traffic conditions in our country, and the young age adrenaline rush. What did he expect that his son will drive a 600cc bike like a 100cc one when even the youth today drive their activas like a superbike. When will people learn to be responsible themselves rather than blaming law and everyone else.

Then it's the youngsters fault. As far as I know 24 is a good enough age to have common sense while driving. I will cite my own example. I was gifted my first Yamaha by my father when I was in 11th. It became love of my life then. But, I never rode it above 80 even on highways cos I knew even in that age how irresponsible it will be to myself and others. Right now I drive a Honda city which can do 150 easily on highways but I only do 80-100 max cos we live in a country where anyone can jump out on road from anywhere.

Sorry for the long rant but it pains me to see families getting destroyed just cos they refuse to see common sense. In the end I will just say Our Life Is Always In Our Own Hands. So, control it wisely.
harry10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 13:25   #24328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
why would someone so young be given such machines I wonder and then there's the mirage like track we see which is actually a public road.

IMHO i think its when the parents love overcomes common sense, they think that by buying a super bike or a fast car they are showing their love, and not realising they are just signing the death warrant. More than the riders i think the parents are to be taken to task for these gifts which is not only dangerous for their wards but also innocent bystanders. Maturity and commmon sense are what is missing. I see so many youngsters just over speeding for no rhyme or reason, but just the thrill.

Last edited by bblost : 17th August 2017 at 16:39. Reason: fixed quote tags
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 13:31   #24329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
What did he expect that his son will drive a 600cc bike like a 100cc one when even the youth today drive their activas like a superbike.
Although Off Topic, but a few pointers here:
1. Driving fast is the danger here, not driving a fast bike.
2. The super bike will be more stable than a regular Activa at normal speeds, hence safer
3. People do drive an Activa at triple digit speeds at its limits and its way more dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Right now I drive a Honda city which can do 150 easily on highways but I only do 80-100 max cos we live in a country where anyone can jump out on road from anywhere.
1. Same here, the Honda will be more unsafe than a BMW M3 at 80-100 speeds as you are nearer to the limit in the Honda.
2. Again, its the drivers discretion that matters rather than the vehicle itself.

Lets move on from Superbike and Supercar criticism.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 14:17   #24330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Lets move on from Superbike and Supercar criticism.
Cars/Bikes don't lose control itself, drivers/riders do, period.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th August 2017 at 16:43. Reason: Loose > lose.
airbus is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed