Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2017, 09:19   #25036
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Outside Bangalore Club, a bike overtaking from the left brushes against a new Innova and peels the bumper off. I tried to assist in replacing the bumper back but all the mounting points snapped off. The bumper can be salvaged but the plastic mounting frame needs to be replaced. The grill snapped its mounting points. Biker was detained. Cop came to sort out.

Attachment 1695936
Oh no, you couldn't justify your signature
I think it's more than just a touch. I guess the foot peg or something must have stuck and pulled apart the bumper
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 09:24   #25037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat;4304779

:OT I prefer a plain median with no plants or grass or bushes where drivers get a very clear view ahead and [B
there are no surprises of any kind darting out from between the bushes. [/b]No vegetation will also mean no grazing animals. I don't mind putting up with glare from oncoming headlights for a clear view and freedom from nasty surprises.
I whole heartedly agree with this. Recently while returning from Udaipur to Vadodara we came across a living example of this situation. It was a 3 lane highway and I shifted to the right most lane to overtake a slower moving vehicle. I was doing about 80 kmph. I honked, he responded by moving to the left a bit and I overtook him. I allow at least 5 seconds to pass before I can shift again to the middle lane and in these 5 seconds this very incident happened. A moron of the highest order just stepped on to the highway from between the 5.5 feet bushes on the median. He was totally invisible to me and he stepped out just maybe 25 feet ahead of where my car was. All this while we were doing 80 kmph at the least. I actually saw his face was fixated on something on the other side of the highway so obviously he didnt look to his left.

Thankfully I keep a fair margin between my car and the median and this is what saved me from running over or splattering said moron all over my windshield. We passed him before I even had a chance to honk and i saw in my rear view mirror he was probably shouting and cursing us. He was standing in the middle lane while doing this

Now I am not sure what I am supposed to do in these situations. Do I keep blaring my horn as a warning each time I am in the right lane? Do I stop using the right lane altogether (not possible)? I dont expect the idiots on the road to have the same sense as us so that leaves us with the medians which are at fault. Why have such tall bushes which can hide whole humans and stray cattle in them?

As said by Santosh, even I would rather have low trimmed or no bushes and drive wearing those yellow glasses which reduce glare than be faced with vehicular manslaughter.
Vikram8891 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 09:32   #25038
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Outside Bangalore Club, a bike overtaking from the left brushes against a new Innova and peels the bumper off. I tried to assist in replacing the bumper back but all the mounting points snapped off. The bumper can be salvaged but the plastic mounting frame needs to be replaced. The grill snapped its mounting points. Biker was detained. Cop came to sort out.
Yikes! Thats severe damage and maybe a new bumper is the solution, if the locks are cut. Though it will be a hefty cost for the biker to pay up, I think that should be enough to learn the lesson of a lifetime. These days I end up drawing close to the vehicle at front in signals just to avoid the morons who try to make their way perpendicularly across traffic in signals. The side foot step of most of the scooters are sharp and solid plates that can cut across a bumper. They hardly realise this and end up scratching the bumper and disappear with an acknowledgement which we are forced to assume as an apology

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I think it's more than just a touch. I guess the foot peg or something must have stuck and pulled apart the bumper
Should be more than the foot peg I guess. For the majority of the bumper to unmount it should be the crash guard or some other rigid part.

I had a similar incident in my car and the foot peg and silencer drew an annoying pair of lines in the left corner of the bumper when a two wheeler tried to squeeze the cap between my car and a bus. He cleared the front end of his bike safely and thought that the bike didnt have a rear and cut across my car, all when I was stationary and watching the scene. He then realised that his bike had an exhaust which was wider than he thought. Left him after making him a little poorer.
Old 14th November 2017, 09:36   #25039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
Watering plants ..

On a straight stretch of road if the speeding car is unable to see the tanker in front of it (at whatever speed it is moving), then I will not blame the babus for this.

The entire onus is on the driver as he is the one controlling his vehicle. He has to take into account whatever comes in the way, whether it is a tanker or a buffalo.
They can do all the watering they want provided there's no human life at risk. Until then there are many acres in wilderness or their backyards they can attend to. Please understand that plants also attracts stray animals (who can show up from behind the bushes on median) that poses a grave risk. Every other week on my way to office I see a dead cow, smashed car and a pile up behind. All due to the fact that a cow on the median or on either side darted across giving no chance to driver. This is in 65kph zone and during peak hours 70-80kph is max one can do for short bursts.

As far as 'onus on the driver' part, then what's the reason the traffic rules say "slow moving on left"? Why don't we just stop our car on expressways/highways since the onus is on the cars behind us? Expressway is for a reason, no? none or least hindrance for free flowing traffic(Freeways!!).

Yes, in our country we need to be extra careful, no doubt and we usually are during our usual city runs but putting a tanker day/night without bright warning signs from at least 500m ahead is just blatant disregard of babus' duty, common sense and human life.
Old 14th November 2017, 10:49   #25040
BHPian

None of you are wrong in your opinions. My point is simple, India is not a developed nation, we have come this far and we will reach there one day, but until then we just need to live with the state of affairs. I don't see India becoming a developed nation at least in my lifetime. I cannot depend on the government or the other drivers on the road to ensure that I reach home safely. I go out with the assumption that I will get bad roads, stray animals on the roads, some moron speeding and cutting lanes at will, some tanker moving at slow speeds, trucks trying to overtake each other etc. It is in my interest to be vigilant and drive at sane speeds, in the correct lane. It is also in my hands to buy a safe car. We can only do what is in our control. Rest as they say is fate.
aviraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 13:39   #25041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Expressway is for a reason, no? none or least hindrance for free flowing traffic(Freeways!!).
Agree, but again I believe there is speed limit even for expressway and speed limit is there for a reason. Question is what is the speed limit in that stretch and what was the speed of the car when it met with the accident?

We have lot of unknowns on Indian roads, so for own safety people need to follow defensive driving.
Old 14th November 2017, 13:46   #25042
BHPian

This is an accident not on road, but in water. This happend on 12th November 2017 in River Krishna, Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh. Over 25 innocent lives lost.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/61616881.cms

Please move to the relevant thread, if needed.

Last edited by Hickstead : 14th November 2017 at 13:48.
Old 14th November 2017, 17:12   #25043
BHPian

This is a very tragic accident! A 14 year old parking attendant lost control of a 3rd gen Honda City and ran over a 28 year old pregnant woman and her husband in Noida.

The woman lost her life while her husband sustained some injuries.

IMHO, the employer must be penalized for hiring an unlicensed minor as a valet!

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 14th November 2017 at 17:15.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 11:44   #25044
Senior - BHPian

It is not necessary that it has to be a head on collision, or ram into a stationery vehicle to make an accident fatal. Even if you hit a vehicle that is moving in your direction, it can go really worse.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-t17.jpg

https://starofmysore.com/three-ooty-...t-near-hunsur/

Quote:
Mysuru, November 14:- Three persons of a family were killed on the spot in a ghastly accident between a lorry and a tempo traveller on Mysuru-Hunsur Road on Tuesday morning.

The deceased have been identified as Abdul Hameed (47), Mohammed Iqbal (27) and Shaik Habeeb (11), all three from the same family and natives of Mangaluru.

14 passengers were also injured in the accident. The mishap occurred at Basarikatte near Hunsur. The family was on its way to Ooty via Mysuru. It is suspected that the accident took place while the tempo was trying to overtake the lorry.
Old 15th November 2017, 12:04   #25045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
It is not necessary that it has to be a head on collision, or ram into a stationery vehicle to make an accident fatal. Even if you hit a vehicle that is moving in your direction, it can go really worse.
Seems like there was an oncoming vehicle for which the driver would have ditched the overtake at the last minute and probably misjudged the speed of the loaded truck in his direction. Or the poor truck driver would have braked and tried moving to the extreme left seeing the TT in his mirror.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 17:02   #25046
Senior - BHPian

BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj narrowly escapes as a tanker hits his car.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/c...1/1088996.html

Quote:
A speeding tanker, coming from the opposite direction, first hit a car moving ahead of the BJP MP's vehicle. Then, the tanker rammed into Sakshi Maharaj's car. The impact of the collision was such that the car's front portion has been severely damaged. Sakshi Maharaj and his driver sustained minor injuries in the accident.

Before ramming into the controversial BJP leader's car, the speeding tanker had hit two bikers, of whom one sustained severe injuries and is undergoing treatment at a hospital.
Old 15th November 2017, 19:43   #25047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Seems like an overtaking manoeuvre of two or more trucks back to back gone bad after passing the first and having to squeeze in between the gaps on a narrow road. Don't know the location but it could be a climb where the trucks are extremely slow and the oncoming traffic is not visible beyond the dipping point.
Old 15th November 2017, 20:56   #25048
Senior - BHPian

Head-on collision between a BMW 3 series and Linea, somewhere on the BLR-HYD highway.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident-site-picture-2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident-site-picture-04.jpg

Source: http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/lifesaver-linea.16865/
DRIV3R is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 21:16   #25049
Senior - BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Head-on collision between a BMW 3 series and Linea, somewhere on the BLR-HYD highway.

Thanks. Moral of the story, never compromise on build quality for Kitna deti hai?

All occupants safe with minor injuries. Two fantastically built cars.:Clap.

Really pathetic diverting traffic without the use of cones/barricades on the road. I rather they block traffic for 10 minutes and get the required safety arrangements before diverting the traffic. , It is private operators who are charging steep tolls and this is the service we get. People can loose their lives in a situation like this.:

Just imagine the damage if it were 2 flimsy cars colliding head on at 80+ kmph? Touchwood.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 15th November 2017 at 21:20.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 21:28   #25050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post

Attachment 1696717

Attachment 1696718

I had passed this accident site - totally the fault of the police guys who made traffic go on same side of the road without any warning signs. Also - another disadvantage of having tall plants in the median when you cant see beyond a distance.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks