Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2017, 15:29   #25081
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Wonder how no one posted this here so far. Well not an accident but could have been one and that too involving one of the mega stars of the century.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/amitabh-b...es-off-1776368
On twitter he has denied of meeting with any such incident.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ab.jpg
Makin Rulesz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 16:52   #25082
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A Team-BHP sticker spotting, but not the way we'd like it :(.

Thanks to Abin Saji for sharing!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20171120wa0002.jpg
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 12:48   #25083
BHPian

Guys this post may not be directly linked with this accidents thread (may contribute to reducing it), but since it's a weird one I thought not to make another thread for it. Moderators do change it if you feel so.

So after experiencing traffic & their very cultured behaviour in other countries I have always wondered when will India reach anywhere close to it. The way I see it with present traffic scenarios I don't see that happening any time in my life. Just see how people behave on the road. It doesn't matter whether the one behind the wheel is a professional (with stickers on the windshield that demands respect) or a thug/goon, most of them drive without any "CIVIC SENSE" and lacks any respect for fellow road users.

So what can we do to change it? We need better roads (can't do much about that ourselves), better law enforcement & we need to teach and practise the next generations with civic sense from a young age.

About the law enforcement-So many times this weird thought has blipped in my mind by taking a leaf out of online taxi services like uber.
Many of us now use dashcams on our vehicles capturing all the stupidity on the roads. If cops can integrate the dash cams of normal citizens with law enforcement and split the revenues wouldn't that be an easy way to make our roads safer?

To give a better picture, think about a scheme were police departments hand over dash cams(with GPS) to normal drivers with password protection(so it can't be tampered with) & use the video evidences to impose penalties on other drivers for violations ranging from jumping red lights to rash driving. Drivers can open an account on the web with the police/motor vehicle dept were they can upload the videos of violations of other fellow drivers, and the police dept after reviewing would split the income(from penalties) with the dashcam driver and the govt.

For example if I captured a car jumping a red light & the fine that can be charged is 1000rs, 300Rs would be credited to my account while 700Rs goes to the govt. Simply put, since people can earn money from it, drivers would capture n upload any of the rule violations and at the same time since any normal car on the road can have a dashcam integrated with the cops, each & every driver will be forced to behave responsibly on the road all the time because we can never know when we will get fined. Add to that the mental satisfaction for making the roads safer & making morons on the road pay for it! A simple remote on the steering wheel would enable drivers to trim the recording (from 1 min before to 1 min after) to another folder so it's easy to find mishaps. Many dashcams already do this by using the onboard accelerometer which senses knocks and transfers those minutes of the record to another folder.

Instead of incorporating thousands of cops on the road to control our large and unruly population of drivers, the only cost to the govt here would be to design a website/app, a server and some system to review the videos. Each & every dash cam driver would be rated by the Police dept, so if we upload silly videos our ratings and share of income would go down or we can get fined. The govt can make a lot of income because a very large number of traffic violations can be caught, @ reduced costs. Since any car can have a dashcam we all will have to drive responsibly. There are still many loopholes in this weird idea & it will require lots of dedication from someone, but if it works our roads can be easily made a safer place. Make money, contribute to safer roads and a payback to those who think they are above everyone else on the road!

Everytime I'm stuck in traffic/ avoiding rash drivers by just cms I always think something like this would solve these situations to some extent. So just thought of sharing it with everyone here.
Cheers

Last edited by SUPERSPORT : 21st November 2017 at 12:54.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 13:23   #25084
BHPian

Could be an extension of this

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post4309142
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 13:28   #25085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
Many of us now use dashcams on our vehicles capturing all the stupidity on the roads. If cops can integrate the dash cams of normal citizens with law enforcement and split the revenues wouldn't that be an easy way to make our roads safer?
I have to agree with this suggestion. Here is one picture captured by my better half over Kadugodi flyover, Bangalore (I was driving).This is an accident waiting to happen.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20171121wa0007.jpg

That person was shifting positions on an almost non-existent space to stick on to; that too over a flyover inclination! I was scared and followed that vehicle slowly while maintaining a gap. In such cases, the drivers of such vehicles should be held accountable and penalized IMHO.
Turbopetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 14:15   #25086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopetrol View Post
That person was shifting positions on an almost non-existent space to stick on to; that too over a flyover inclination! I was scared and followed that vehicle slowly while maintaining a gap. In such cases, the drivers of such vehicles should be held accountable and penalized IMHO.
Your car has an insurance policy of not one but three god images

But seriously, it is just crazy how these guys manage to stay on top of overloaded tata ace and other load vehicles. And how little regard for their life their employers have.
Old 21st November 2017, 15:00   #25087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Your car has an insurance policy of not one but three god images
Couldn't avoid the God images as the picture was taken from the rear seat . A dashboard camera would be the best solution to capture such stupidities.
Old 21st November 2017, 17:46   #25088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post

About the law enforcement-So many times this weird thought has blipped in my mind by taking a leaf out of online taxi services like uber.
I am doing this for a couple of years now.
Not expecting revenue share Or free dashcam.
I use screen shots from my dashcam and upload proofs with time, date and area details, offending vehicle details.
I later check to see that the status changed to 'Case booked'.
No provision to follow up any further. So, I am doing my bit and expecting the system to follow up.
FORTified is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:45   #25089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
I am doing this for a couple of years now.
Not expecting revenue share Or free dashcam.
There has been this portal with upload facility for bangalore for the same purpose. Earlier they used to respond to photos uploaded through twitter. Have had encroachments reported and removed by hawkers on 27th Main in HSR using the process. Now their is a portal called Public Eye.

http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...icEyePost.aspx

Photos or Screen Shots from footage can be uploaded here for action to be taken and tracked.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 21:16   #25090
Senior - BHPian

Caught this accident yesterday morning. A two wheeler (riden by a lady) jumped a signal and the poor skoda driver had hit the vehicle. I am not sure if it was green for the car also to go or not. The impact was such that the lady was unconscious for a minute.

Old 24th November 2017, 03:18   #25091
BHPian

Towards the end of the clip, that scooter rider is an educated and irresponsible fellow who has no safety concern for the kid on the bike.
Amazing to see parents wearing a helmet and the child with NO safety gear.
The father, a moron trying to cut ahead of the auto rickshaw.
Jr Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 11:42   #25092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
Towards the end of the clip, that scooter rider is an educated and irresponsible fellow who has no safety concern for the kid on the bike.
I was about to comment the same; that they have no concern for their kid at all. With one exception, they may be literate. But they are not educated.
'padhey likhey ganwaar'; literate idiots.

Also, it is odd (but also not entirely unexpected unfortunately) that people continue to stop to gawk but barely anyone stopped to help
Old 24th November 2017, 11:46   #25093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Caught this accident yesterday morning. A two wheeler (riden by a lady) jumped a signal and the poor skoda driver had hit the vehicle. I am not sure if it was green for the car also to go or not. The impact was such that the lady was unconscious for a minute.
I see a number of riders in your video who continue to drive on even after the signal has changed to red. When will our countrymen ever learn?!

Witnessed something similar last evening. While returning home, the light changed to red for us and we stopped. A white Swift Dzire cab jumped the light and drove straight across the intersection. Meanwhile, the traffic in the other direction had started to move. A poor biker who had moved ahead as the red light started blinking but had not yet turned green, rammed into the side of the Dzire and flew off his bike along with his pillion.

Instead of stopping, the Dzire floored it and fled, driving against traffic and zig-zagging till he got away. It all happened in a couple of seconds before anyone could gather their wits to react!

Not a single cop was present at the scene, which was very strange since there are usually a couple of cops managing the massive intersection. Members of the public had helped both the people up and were checking on them and their bike, so I didn't bother stopping.

Sadly, the way things are on our roads; an individual's life is very cheap. Incidents like these occur daily and forgotten after a few minutes.
Old 24th November 2017, 12:04   #25094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Also, it is odd (but also not entirely unexpected unfortunately) that people continue to stop to gawk but barely anyone stopped to help
On the contrary many people actually helped which was the reason I didn't volunteer. The skoda driver was clearly flustered but luckily blame game had not started and he was spared from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I see a number of riders in your video who continue to drive on even after the signal has changed to red. When will our countrymen ever learn?!

Sadly, the way things are on our roads; an individual's life is very cheap. Incidents like these occur daily and forgotten after a few minutes.
Yep I do agree . People just think/assume that others will stop and no one will hit them. They don't think about the inconvenience that it causes to others. I don't know what they have in their mind about not following rules.
Old 24th November 2017, 12:15   #25095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopetrol View Post
Here is one picture captured by my better half over Kadugodi flyover, Bangalore (I was driving).This is an accident waiting to happen.

That person was shifting positions on an almost non-existent space to stick on to; that too over a flyover inclination! I was scared and followed that vehicle slowly while maintaining a gap.
This is a killer vehicle extensively used in North and Central part of Karnataka, you cannot teach these people about safety aspects just by words. Wonder how it went unnoticed in Kadugodi.

Last edited by deehunk : 24th November 2017 at 12:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks