Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2018, 06:43   #25786
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

High Speed driving at an intersection where one doesn't know the vehicle coming from intersecting lanes is always risky. If one is not confident of stopping the vehicle then should avoid such speeds else the below might happen.

tanwaramit is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 08:43   #25787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
To all, to understand the issue better, how can a Scorpio drift like that? Can it be caused due to blown rear tire? Can the blame solely be placed on the driver for negligent driving?

Edit: It looks like the rear passenger side tire is blown?
Why run away? That more than anything is wrong.
sudev is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 09:19   #25788
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner head-on collision with truck – MLA, 2 bodyguards and driver killed.

5 star rating, 7 air bags this and that do no matter at the end of the day I guess. Your brain is the only safety equipment on board.

https://www.rushlane.com/toyota-fort...-12263796.html
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 10:06   #25789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
Toyota Fortuner head-on collision with truck – MLA, 2 bodyguards and driver killed.

5 star rating, 7 air bags this and that do no matter at the end of the day I guess. Your brain is the only safety equipment on board.

https://www.rushlane.com/toyota-fort...-12263796.html
Driving on the wrong side of a 4 lane divided road? WHY?
From the Windscreen impact, looks like seat belts were not used.
Seems a lot of flying happened inside the cabin. Occupants might have collided among themselves and got injured.

Even after such a severe impact, the cabin itself is intact.
FORTified is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 11:33   #25790
Distinguished - BHPian

Poor Truck driver lost his life because of the MLA's driver's idiocy. One learning people should take from this-No one is invincible
One more example of the famous quote "The most dangerous part in a car is the nut behind the wheel"
Even if you buy a car with 700 airbags you'll die if you drive like this

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 22nd February 2018 at 11:35.
hemanth.anand is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:11   #25791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Driving on the wrong side of a 4 lane divided road? WHY?
From the Windscreen impact, looks like seat belts were not used.
Seems a lot of flying happened inside the cabin. Occupants might have collided among themselves and got injured.

Even after such a severe impact, the cabin itself is intact.
There seems to be cabin intrusion on the driver side A pillar on the other side from where the picture is taken. There are no spot "spider web" cracks in the windshield which are indicative of "head bangs". The whole windshield is cracked more from the impact on the driver side where the A pillar seems to have caved in.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:31   #25792
BANNED

It is written that the Fortuner was on the wrong side of the road. But this one looks like a secluded area (and I guess I know this area), with the high GC and a small median, what is the probability that the Fortuner was actually on the right side and jumped the median? A couple of facts:
  • The accident happened at 5 am
  • The car had travelled around 400 kms before it met with the accident
  • Travelling 400 kms means it was probably an overnight drive
  • A probability of driver dozing off behind the wheel can't be denied
  • There is no reason for the car to be on the wrong side, other than it either jumping the divider or maybe the driver being on a suicide mission
VKumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:49   #25793
BHPian

what I fail to understand is, were both the drivers dozing off? If Fortuner's driver was dozing, the truck driver could have braked at least a few seconds before accident (or vice versa) reducing the magnitude of impact, that is if the Fortuner hadn't jumped the divider and had just showed up giving truck driver no time to react.

In my real life experience, Trucks & Buses generally don't brake or give side when we are face to face during overtaking another vehicle.
Old 22nd February 2018, 13:00   #25794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
what I fail to understand is, were both the drivers dozing off? If Fortuner's driver was dozing, the truck driver could have braked at least a few seconds before accident (or vice versa) reducing the magnitude of impact, that is if the Fortuner hadn't jumped the divider and had just showed up giving truck driver no time to react.

In my real life experience, Trucks & Buses generally don't brake or give side when we are face to face during overtaking another vehicle.
We do not know what happened. If there are 'few seconds' to react, possibly this accident would have been avoided.

Also lets not judge the trucks and buses about dont braking and not giving space etc; the problems faced with those drivers are totally different from a typical car driver.
arjithin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 14:22   #25795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
We do not know what happened. If there are 'few seconds' to react, possibly this accident would have been avoided.
Also lets not judge the trucks and buses about dont braking and not giving space etc; the problems faced with those drivers are totally different from a typical car driver.
of course we don't know for sure, that's why the speculations.

Giving way or slowing down for the vehicle coming from opposite so as to let it merge back into its lane is a common situation for all on highways. But that's not the situation here so I'll leave it here.
wangdu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 15:08   #25796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
with the high GC and a small median, what is the probability that the Fortuner was actually on the right side and jumped the median?
If the car is on the RIGHT side and then jumped the median, isn't it on the WRONG side? Pictures show it beyond doubt that its on RIGHT side of the road, which WRONG side

Looks like nobody tried to reduce speed.
From the pictures, the Fortuner approached the truck from the left side and hit it on the left front half. Right head light of truck is intact.
I am also surprised to note - The truck cabin is in good shape, the wind shields are proper. How did the truck driver die?

Last edited by FORTified : 22nd February 2018 at 15:09. Reason: Some tag was part deleted
Old 22nd February 2018, 15:46   #25797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
I am also surprised to note - The truck cabin is in good shape, the wind shields are proper. How did the truck driver die?
I was surprised too that the truck driver died.

He must have hit the steering wheel quite hard during the sudden impact.
Moreover there is no question of seatbelts being present in these type of cabs or being used even if present.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 16:37   #25798
BHPian

On reading about the Toyota Fortuner accident wherein no one survived, here is another SUV accident with the Ford Endeavour, which tumbled 400 feet into a valley and all 7 passengers survived. That is incredible to say the least.

Source : https://www.rushlane.com/ford-endeav...-12202918.html
sparky@home is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 21:06   #25799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Why run away? That more than anything is wrong.
Oh certainly, he is 100% wrong on what he did after the accident. There is no question about that portion.

I am more interested in the driver inputs on what happened just before the 180. On what caused the Scorpio to do a very beautiful 180. Can a person driving a Scorpio do that 180 on a flat ground? I think it may have been a blown tire.
Old 23rd February 2018, 03:43   #25800
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 4th March 2018 at 15:25.
Jr Godzilla is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed